• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It seems fine based on the trailers they've been releasing. This naming option also gives them the ability to adjust fire if the scope of the project changes.

I still think they're playing it safe after how XIII/Fabula Nova Crystallis project worked out in the end.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What's the last Kingdom Hearts game called ?

K then.

Kingdom Hearts III is a full new entry in the series, and not a remake/compilation/spin-off/remaster etc. so it has very little bearing on the discussion at hand as we are not talking about Final Fantasy XVI but a remake of a previous game.

ALSO, If we are talking about the actual last release in the series it is NOT Kingdom Hearts III as
they have already released a bundle called Kingdom Hearts: All-In-One-Package that explains exactly what it is with a nice little subtitle.

Here are the titles which would be a better comparison to FFVII Remake:
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue

And here are some repackaged versions of the above:

Kingdom Hearts Starter Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts Collector's Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far
Kingdom Hearts: All-In-One-Package

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It should be part of the title of the game. Call it "FF7 Remake Part 1" or something.

Exactly. Not sure why anyone would argue against this as a consumer knowing DAMN well the random passerby isn't going to know right off from looking at it. Put it on the front and/or in the name. Period. No back or side stuff. It needs to be front and center.

Haha, I haven't been following the remake closely before seeing this thread I thought it was going to be the full game.

See... Like... There's no real argument against this at all. None.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's definitely misleading if not straight up lie.
Maybe there will be indications in the back of the box but yeah for the old fans not following gaming news this is going to suck once they see the ff7 remake box at walmart then reach the credit scenes after midgar.
Not sure if everyone reads the back, especially if the cover has a title that potentially make them insta-buy

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III is a full new entry in the series, and not a remake/compilation/spin-off/remaster etc. so it has very little bearing on the discussion at hand as we are not talking about Final Fantasy XVI but a remake of a previous game.

ALSO, If we are talking about the actual last release in the series it is NOT Kingdom Hearts III as
they have already released a bundle called Kingdom Hearts: All-In-One-Package that explains exactly what it is with a nice little subtitle.

Here are the titles which would be a better comparison to FFVII Remake:
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue

And here are some repackaged versions of the above:

Kingdom Hearts Starter Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts Collector's Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far
Kingdom Hearts: All-In-One-Package

It's especially funny that 2.8 final chapter prologue does not have KH2, not that you could tell anything from the title. I went back and played them before 3 and had to do a deeper dig into all the re-release compilations to actually see wtf I was getting.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Those aren't remakes of games people know.

Yes but as SE has stated many times this is a reimagining (technically, yes, remake). This isn't just a coat of polish. My point I was trying to make is everyone is viewing this as 'okay, so they are just releasing part 1 and not the entire remake of VII at once?'; which, hey, a good sound argument and i understand why some people are bothered by them not saying part 1 on the box art. on the other hand, as mentioned before, this is a completely new project with the technical term of 'remake' attached to it. SE has said this is a full game release, so the next installments are more sequels to this project. so that's why i used those titles as an example.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's especially funny that 2.8 final chapter prologue does not have KH2, not that you could tell anything from the title. I went back and played them before 3 and had to do a deeper dig into all the re-release compilations to actually see wtf I was getting.

Yeah, I think my point went over their head a bit and they thought I was just trying to make a dig about their overall naming process.
While there is a lot of silliness in their titles, in a lot of cases they actually try to put too much information in the title/subtitle and make it a mess (like KH II.8).

Final Fantasy VII Remake is one of the few times where they decided to completely leave out pertinent info in the title/subtitle.
Whether that pertinent info can actually be gleaned from the titles their own internal logic produces is another matter of course.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that has ever complained about Trails of Cold Steel being effectively half a game, lacking any sort of conclusion and just dropping the player off after the climax and expecting them to buy the sequel. And that game doesn't have any indication that it isn't complete aside from the existence of sequels, but someone might not necessarily infer beforehand that "Cold Steel 2" actually means "Cold Steel's second half."

Chances are that's not all that different from how FF7R is being handled. But if this game is less padded and actually has some sort of conclusion to the Midgar story arc it's better off than Cold Steel 1 (and more comparable to Trails in the Sky, in fact).

Edit: point being, I don't think most people will care as long as it has sufficient content to justify being a $60 release.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
its misleading, but so is "1/10 of the story"

Possibly, but we won't know whether that is true for like a decade at this point.
At least if we are comparing it to the story in the original game. I still wonder how they are going to include
stuff like the Wutai side story while also adding content that turns a 5 hour story romp in Midgard into 30-40hrs.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist: Part 1 is actually a full remake of FF7 while Part 2 will be Advent Children + Dirge of Cerberus.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"I don't know" and "I don't care" have different implications.
Well if you don't care there's an option for that: Not coming to the thread at all. That's exactly what not caring means.
Pretty much. Are we going to get people playing 40+ hours then throwing a hissy fit because the credits start rolling? It might not be the complete story but you're getting a full game.
Literally NO ONE is saying this is not the case. NO ONE is arguing that point.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Are we going to get people playing 40+ hours then throwing a hissy fit because the credits start rolling? It might not be the complete story but you're getting a full game.

Its like we're just constantly going in circles. You literally said the same thing like 20 other people did and then had people explain why that isn't the point at all but you had to get in here to drop your sick take.

Well if you don't care there's an option for that: Not coming to the thread at all. That's exactly what not caring means.

Then how will everyone know that he doesn't care?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
But what if... Square have pulled off the greatest troll of all time and completed the entire original game to be released in March? :O

I would forgive every bad FF game they've made if it were true.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Don't think a lack of "bang for the buck" is the issue here.
Article is about misleading consumers and I gotta agree with Kotaku here, the average consumer isn't wrong to assume that a box with "FF7 remake" on it contains the complete FF7 game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Its like we're just constantly going in circles. You literally said the same thing like 20 other people did and then had people explain why that isn't the point at all but you had to get in here to drop your sick take.
Yup, this shit was mentioned very early in the thread, but it seems reading comprehension is a rare concept somehow.
The point being discussed in this thread: It's misleading to simply label the game as FFVII: Remake while not making it clear that this doesn't contain the whole plot from the game it is based on.
The point people who don't understand what's being discussed keep bringing up: The game is a fully fledged experience.

No one is arguing against the second point, in fact plenty of people acknowledge this game will be a full experience, while recognizing that not properly conveying the extent of the plot covered by the remake is misleading.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Watch this be the boxart for FF7r2
6E8Bg3D.jpg

Kalm to Junon

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
We have no idea how the remake will be structured. I have a feeling it will be like 25% at least of what the remake ends up being. Really they could have just dropped remake from the title and it would probably be somewhat less divisive.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
They should have not called it "Remake" in the title, but instead, using subtitles, like perhaps "Final Fantasy VII: Midgar".

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why you chose to quote me instead of the person who said they don't care, but there's still a discussion to be had arguing that you don't care i.e. whether it'll matter to the vast majority of consumers.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but we won't know whether that is true for like a decade at this point.
At least if we are comparing it to the story in the original game. I still wonder how they are going to include
stuff like the Wutai side story while also adding content that turns a 5 hour story romp in Midgard into 30-40hrs.

We don't know how long or faithful the new story will be but it doesn't look like 1/10 of the story people are familiar with, nor is it comparable in that sense when it appears to not be a 1:1 retelling.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't know why you chose to quote me instead of the person who said they don't care, but there's still a discussion to be had arguing that you don't care i.e. whether it'll matter to the vast majority of consumers.
I mistakenly quoted you instead of that poster, sorry about that, but no, there's no discussion to be had from the party that states that "they don't fucking care", since the whole point of this thread has been calling out how this will be misleading for consumers, so by saying "I don't fucking care" it's clear that said user has no intention of engaging in that discussion at all.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The point being discussed in this thread: It's misleading to simply label the game as FFVII: Remake while not making it clear that this doesn't contain the whole plot from the game it is based on.
The point people who don't understand what's being discussed keep bringing up: The game is a fully fledged experience.

Don't even understand how this thread is 32 pages lol
Not sure how it works in the US, but here in the EU the FF7Remake cover, as shown above, is basically a textbook example of false advertising.
"Reasonable consumer expectation" not only factors in marketing promises, but also usual practices on the specific market.

Not are consumers right to expect the full game in the box, when the box doesn't indicate it's a just a slice (no "Episode I", "Part 1" or "Prologue" on the box), it's actually reasonable to assume that box contains "the full game and then some".
Because usually, Remakes contain DLC, bonus stages, sequels etc.

I have no idea what SquareEnix is doing here, game would have sold just fine even if the box said "Part 1".
Truly hope someone sues.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which part will sell the best.

Normal logic dictates it's either Part 1 or Final Part.

but with cross gen, PS5 issues in general, possible remaster and re-releases (if it takes a while), it'll be interesting.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We don't know how long or faithful the new story will be but it doesn't look like 1/10 of the story people are familiar with, nor is it comparable in that sense when it appears to not be a 1:1 retelling.

I mean if you split the game into very big chunks based on unique locals, it is roughly 1/5 of the main story beats without even including any of the hefty side content in as well, so I don't think it is as egregious a claim as you think. Especially since some of that side content does add to the overall world-building etc. like with the Wutai area.

Saying it is 1/10 of the overall experience/story might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think it will be that far off in the end.

And this isn't even opening up the can of worms where they have hinted that they want to also include the FFVII Compilation story beats in the remake as well!

Banned

Nov 10, 2017
sure hopefully they have a note on the box letting people know this is just one part of the game remade as a full game, those anticipating the remake already know the deal. those who don't know about the remake will be surprised

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
1/10? Of the game ...yeah that's very fucking misleading. Like if it's a full $60, are the rest of the game gonna be free to download ie a GaaS type ?....I doubt it cause like shit I would like to know wtf their plan is

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean. Did we know about outside midgar before the original game came out

One of the most famous pre-release advertisements shows off Junon and is a subtle dig at Nintendo and their cartridges. Hehe

I am also pretty sure I saw early images of the highwind and overworld but its been a long time!

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The original game Is too big to be fully remade with today tech, It would take decades. I believe they're gonna go with part 2 in 2/3 years with diluted story and call it a day.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
sure hopefully they have a note on the box letting people know this is just one part of the game remade as a full game, those anticipating the remake already know the deal. those who don't know about the remake will be surprised

Thing is, the Remake cover is basically a nicer version of the NTSC PS1 cover. The indicator, that's the game contains just a slice of the original should have been put on the box.
Pretty sure that Sqenix has seeked legal advice, so there will be some kind of disclaimer on the box somewhere.

About "those who don't know": Consumer protection laws exist to protect them. The people who follow gaming news don't matter in this context.

Nov 8, 2017
The original game Is too big to be fully remade with today tech, It would take decades. I believe they're gonna go with part 2 in 2/3 years with diluted story and call it a day.

A Resident Evil Remake style thing where the gameplay is broadly identical (minor additions) but all the graphics have been redone to a modern standard (like, literally keeping the 2d backgrounds but making them look modern and gorgeous) would have been very easily doable for a much lower budget. They've chosen to completely overhaul it, though, which is a much bigger job.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist: Part 1 is actually a full remake of FF7 while Part 2 will be Advent Children + Dirge of Cerberus.
But what if... Square have pulled off the greatest troll of all time and completed the entire original game to be released in March? :O

I would forgive every bad FF game they've made if it were true.
What if it's the full remake
Are y'all for real?

They have explicitly said it's just Midgar since E3. Everything they've shown in trailers and demos has also been entirely from Midgar. There is a 0% chance Square is "trolling" or somehow hiding that this release in March covers the entire original game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Are y'all for real?

They have explicitly said it's just Midgar since E3. Everything they've shown in trailers and demos has also been entirely from Midgar. There is a 0% chance Square is "trolling" or somehow hiding that this release in March covers the entire original game.
But what if? What..... if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.