• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's misleading.

First, there are going to be plenty of people who played the original and are interested in the remake but do not follow enthusiast gaming sites and don't realize this remake doesn't leave Midgar. Hell, even on this forum, nearly every thread on the Remake includes a poster or two who hadn't caught the news about the episodic format yet. Second, there will be an even larger group of people who didn't play the original FF7 but know it by reputation, and some of them will be surprised to learn that this game titled FF7 Remake covers roughly 1/8 of the original (albeit in dramatically expanded form).

And you really think laying out the details for those people is going to change purchasing decisions?

If you think calling it a remake is disingenuous, then it's just as disingenuous to call it "just Midgar," since that makes anyone who played the original think they are getting a 3-hour game. So, basically, you would have to say "First part of an ambitious remake project to flesh out and expand on the story and world of Final Fantasy VII, beginning with a massively evolved Midgar chapter."

Saying "it ends at Midgar" almost certainly means something completely different in this game than it does in the original game. If it is a cheap 3 ~ 5-hour experience that doesn't turn Midgar into a whole game, then I'll be right there with you all calling bullshit, but I'm willing to give the vision they are selling a chance.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person you're describing doesn't exist, or exists in such small numbers that it's negligible. And keep in mind, he's going to figure out that it's not a remake about 5 seconds in and he can go get his money back. It's not the end of the world.
Casual folk won't even know how original FF7 goes story wise, they won't care. If anything, the game most likely will end with "To be continued...", bunch of game journalist picks up on that and then everyone will know. Not unlike IT movie.
Yeah, ok.

What the fuck, seriously. I'll leave this conversation because it's a nose bleeder.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They told us this was a multi game project 4 years ago, at what point do you get over this?

Yes, "us."

The average consumer -- many of which played VII on PS1 but don't follow E3 interviews or press releases -- has no idea this is multi-part.

Why would anyone ever argue against simply adding "Part 1" to the title? Do we really need to blindly defend every single corporate action?

It's misleading. Fact.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Guys it isn't worth trying to convince people that a hell of a lot of people aren't clued in and don't follow games media coverage.

They don't understand. It isnt worth the arguement.

Video game information isn't exclusive to resetera. Everyone in this thread has an agenda, some are making the argument that Square Enix has spent the last 5 years (and likely 100+ million dollars) developing a game thats simply designed to trick people into buying it because of it's name/box art, and some people are arguing that the name is perfect and there's nothing wrong with it.

The truth is that this is a unique project, nobody has ever taken an old game and built upon it in this way before, remake doesn't describe it accurately, and neither does a subtitle.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if some ppl in this thread actually played the orig game...because some of the examples of why it isn't misleading are hilarious.

Last time I checked, most games, movies, etc that have a part 2, part 1 was it's own self contained story.

Are we now saying FF 7 up to Midgar is it's own story of the orig game?

The best example I've seen so far is the movie It.

TLoU, The Witcher, cmon....that's disingenuous.

This project is a narrative remediation of the original work. While Final Fantasy VII was its own story and the Midgard portion of the game didn't have a story arc that presented itself as anything other than a chapter, each part of the remake project will be reworked into its own story, rather than parts.

The The Last of Us Part I/Part II comparisons are completely inaccurate because those are original works and there wasn't any process of remediation nor adaptation of an original content. Measuring the content of the two games, Final Fantasy VII (1997) and Final Fantasy VII (2019) and adjusting an equal value between the two, however, would be like comparing the The Witcher games to the TV series based on the amount of content covered in the original work.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
It's misleading because it's better? I mean, they expected the exact same thing over 20 years later? What is this?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Jason raises a good point but at the same time you don't stick Horizon: Zero Dawn part 1 on the box or Gears of War part 1. This is a completely remade FFVII and it is standalone, so the part I would put some people off and they would feel like 'oh, i'll just wait for part 2 to be release and ill pick up both". i can see both sides.
Those aren't remakes of games people know.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is it's not there, nor has it been announced, because they don't know how they want to do it. Part 1? Chapter 1? That kind of "phrasing" is important for marketing reasons. So maybe it is misleading, but I don't think they have much of a choice. Their only option is to deliver a solid game and then hope people aren't upset when there's a definitive "to be continued" vibe at the end.

Also, I have to think for maybe legal reasons, saying "FFVII Remake, Part 1" but having there be a possibility that we may never see a "Part 2" could be sketchy (no real clue, just guessing). I mean, the first IT movie wasn't called "IT Chapter 1," even though it should have been, but they held off because it may have flopped hard. And that was also a complete standalone film but also a remake of an existing property that people knew the true ending of, and it still couldn't call itself "Chapter 1."

I dunno. I see why it's not there, but wouldn't be upset if it was.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for Joe Smhoe who intends on buying a complete remake of the game they played as a kid and they realized that the remake they bought only covers 20% of the game they thought they were buying.

Yeah, except it's 2019 (2020 when it comes out) and people can reasonably be expected to research the 60 dollar products they intend to purchase before actually doing so. The Internet exists in everyones pocket nowadays.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who cares to read a couple of sentences of its Wikipedia article, PSN description, or any official description.

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
A subtitle for every part of the story of the Lord of the Rings. Square could have called this Final Fantasy 7: Midgar. This thread is so full of awful analogies it's crazy.
And how is that a bad thing? Some don't wanna wait for 3-5 years between every chapter.
It's also full of people blowing this horrible injustice out of proportions. Could they be clearer? Sure, a Part 1 on the box wouldn't kill anyone. Is this some horrible miscalculation that will leave millions of players pissed at SQEX for being mislead/lied to about the extent of how much story they are getting? Probably not.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
"Wait, so its only a 5 hour game?" A subtitle would cause more confusion than what it is now.

There's no perfect name for this project, at some point you have to have just a little bit of faith that after 5 years of development and marketing people will have read literally anything about the game. And in the extraordinarily unlikely event that someone who's interested in this game but has never heard anything about it and buys it because he see's it on the shelf, he can always trade it back in when he realizes it's not what he thinks.

In the box art thread, my main argument has been that this would be bad marketing to change the title when it was originally announced as Final Fantasy 7 Remake in 2015 and kept it since then. I mean even all the trailers that appeared this year have kept the same title and NOW you want the title change after you see the box art? You don't change the title of your game when there hasn't been any major changes to the project. That is what would lead to actual confusion, especially this late in the marketing cycle. There is no reason to rebrand it like say FF Versus 13 to FFXV where it went from PS3 exclusivity to next gen multiplat.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no doubt that SE are banking on the huge amount of people who don't follow gaming news to pick it up, thinking they're getting the full game remade.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
How can anyone justify this is beyond me. Remake entitles that the entire game is going to be remade. That's like turning in a 20 page assignment The Professor thinking it's a comprehensive complete paper but you state it's just a long introduction, the research, tests and conclusion will be in another paper.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, "us."

The average consumer -- many of which played VII on PS1 but don't follow E3 interviews or press releases -- has no idea this is multi-part.

Why would anyone ever argue against simply adding "Part 1" to the title? Do we really need to blindly defend every single corporate action?

It's misleading. Fact.

You're arguing a premise, that there's this large group of people who go around buying $250-$500 consoles and $60 video games without googling them and being unable to trade them in.

The person you're "defending" doesn't exist, it's a mythical creature. A google search will tell you this isn't a 1:1 remake of FF7, a single trailer will tell you this, there's no way of avoiding the information, it's not a secret exclusive to resetera posters.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that on Square for splitting up the game in the first place though?

You don't think wanting to greatly expand on the original is a valid approach? I tend to give developers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to creative visions. I'm willing to see what they can bring to the table with this new take on Final Fantasy VII. We'll know very soon whether it was a good idea or not.

I just don't understand this demanding of all of the story beats from the original in a single package with no care for how the game is structured or expanded on compared to the original.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is it's not there, nor has it been announced, because they don't know how they want to do it. Part 1? Chapter 1? That kind of "phrasing" is important for marketing reasons. So maybe it is misleading, but I don't think they have much of a choice. Their only option is to deliver a solid game and then hope people aren't upset when there's a definitive "to be continued" vibe at the end.

Also, I have to think for maybe legal reasons, saying "FFVII Remake, Part 1" but having there be a possibility that we may never see a "Part 2" could be sketchy (no real clue, just guessing). I mean, the first IT movie wasn't called "IT Chapter 1," even though it should have been, but they held off because it may have flopped hard. And that was also a complete standalone film but also a remake of an existing property that people knew the true ending of, and it still couldn't call itself "Chapter 1."

I dunno. I see why it's not there, but wouldn't be upset if it was.
Then "ff7 remake: midgar". It explicitly says it's just midgar, but also not saying only part 1.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So then why not call part 1 chapter 1?
Why wasn't IT part 1 called Chapter 1?
What if DC put out a new reboot movie that was just called "Superman", and then the movie ended when Krypton exploded? Would it matter how much they fleshed out Zod and the Krypton council or whatever?
I don't get what you're even going for here. Sounds like you're upset about them doing this episodically and not about the title. Yeah if the story was interesting I'd watch it.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I disagree. So what if it only covers a part of the original if its still a full length game? Hardly misleading, you pay 60 bucks and get a full game - the end. It's not like they're selling a 5 hour game and pretending its the whole thing.
They're selling the game as a remake of Final Fantasy VII and it only includes the prologue of the game... YES, THEY FLESHED IT OUT, there it's in bold so people can stop using that stupid excuse...it's a FLESHED OUT version of the PROLOGUE...it doesn't include any of the rest of the game, which people would be absolutely entitled to expect from it.

You pay $60 and get a full game - yes...but not the full Final Fantasy VII game you expected. Nothing past Midgar is included...and you think that's ok?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say everyone making comparisons to recent media are misguided here. FF7 is a known quantity and classic from people's childhoods. Not informing them in any way on the box that this doesnt actually involve most of the original would in fact be highly misleading. But i imagine they will be doing just that since people are pointing it out.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Anyone in this thread know Yosuke Matsuda's email?

I need to tell him to cancel the game. Multiple internet experts have reported that only people who follow news about a game buy it, and I've crunched the numbers multiple times, and there's no way that a game as expensive as FF7R:P1 will be profitable if only people who follow the news about it are gonna pick it up

Please help, this message is urgent

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, had I not clicked on this thread I would have not known it's only a remake of a portion of the original game.

Granted, I had a passing interest in picking this up, so I haven't been keeping up with everything surrounding the game.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, except it's 2019 (2020 when it comes out) and people can reasonably be expected to research the 60 dollar products they intend to purchase before actually doing so. The Internet exists in everyones pocket nowadays.

Putting it on the consumer to research things instead of the company being clear with their marketing is absolute nonsense. It's 2019, Square Enix can add a "Midgar" subtitle to their game that will make them many, many millions either way.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It is. They should call it part one. It's what everybody will refer to the game as after subsequent parts are released anyways.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having the consumer have to google to understand a game they are calling Final Fantasy 7 Remake isn't actually a remake of Final Fantasy 7, just a part of it, is bullshit.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
100%. They're not advertising at all in the trailers that this is just a part of the game. Reallllly shady and it will bite them in the ass if they don't clarify soon. I can see places with stronger consumer protection like Europe seeing lawsuits about false advertising.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Video game information isn't exclusive to resetera. Everyone in this thread has an agenda, some are making the argument that Square Enix has spent the last 5 years (and likely 100+ million dollars) developing a game thats simply designed to trick people into buying it because of it's name/box art, and some people are arguing that the name is perfect and there's nothing wrong with it.

The truth is that this is a unique project, nobody has ever taken an old game and built upon it in this way before, remake doesn't describe it accurately, and neither does a subtitle.

Lol. It is not an agenda to say the title of this game is misleading based on wjat it actually is. That has 0 to do with how individuals feel about the project itself.

The fact people are literally tripping over themselves to deny this is misleading is hilarious.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason it's not on the box is because they know it would hurt sales if it was, and no amount of disingenuous comparisons to multi-part movies is going to change that. You're only getting part of the entire parcel that was the original game, the fact that we have several posters in this thread not even knowing it isn't the complete game is going to beg the question how bad it'll be when it goes into the mainstream.

It's misleading.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Many people buy games just buy looking at the box art. The remake art mimics the first and only says remake. Not everyone researches everything and are going to assume it's a full remake.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Yes, let's blame the consumer for a companies misleading title. What nonsense.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How, judging from the box art?
Is the box art the only piece of media released for the game? Even the PSN description mentions it's only a part.
The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA07211_00-FFVIIREMAKE00000

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How on earth is this an attack on your excitement? It's just a comment on the box, I thought the same thing when I saw it lol

The "misleading" posts about the title were shouted from the rooftops by people here right when the hype was at maximum following the latest coverage. It's the latest complaint that's been spewed out ad-naseum following the development of the Remake.

I'm not accusing Jason of being a troll, but this is just going to fan the drive-by flame posts even more.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Imagine being a retail employee at GameStop or something and having to explain that, no, this game:
48784465518_c7c8897725_b.jpg

is actually not a complete remake of this game:

Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

This thread is peak Era bubble
This. This is my biggest beef with this remake.

Look at it! It's a perfect recreation of the boxart and the title! It's the ultimate nostalgia gift. I had a huge smile on my face when I saw that beautiful box art!

And then it hit me.
This is only the first Part.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
It's about as misleading as his article.

We don't know what's on the back of the box and nor does he. He failed to state that in his article.
This information should be put on the cover.
Sure, they can still call this one 'Final Fantasy VII Remake' and call any upcoming sequel in this "series" 'Final Fantasy VII Remake-2'. But that wouldn't solve the perception problem the author put in evidence. I think it's better to be clear with it upfront.
Should have just called it FFVII Remake: Midgar
Or this.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
The messaging and communication around expectations for this project has completely turned me off from being interested at launch despite this remake looking really good at surface level. Until Square Enix communicates clearly how to manage expectations for the following then I have to assume the answers are undesirable, otherwise they'd be up front with this info.

- how many parts will the remake be?
- what platforms will future parts be available on?
- how will or wont data transfer between parts?
- how is the world map being handled?
- is the same team even working on the future parts?

This is basic stuff, if this were a totally new game/project then I wouldn't care as much about these unknowns. But this is a case of a classic being remade with high expectations, and while what they have shown seems to mostly meet those high expectations for the beginning of FF7, the lack of communication makes me hesitate being fully hyped. And the way the game is being advertised by the box art it appears that answering these questions is not important to SE.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
*puts on tinfoil hat*
Clearly, they didn't put any subtitle since they're actually trolling and releasing the full remake, and it's not actually gonna be separated into parts.

actually because they want to gauge sells of this before they commit to a sequel to remake more

Status
Not open for further replies.