• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Because God of War isn't a remake of a beloved classic that in this case will be split into parts?!

No, see this isn't at all tied to Final Fantasy 7 so we shouldn't put Part 1 or anything. The Last of Us being an original IP that got a sequel is the exact same as a remake of an original game

It's so disassociated from the original that we decided to call it Final Fantasy 7 Remake

I don't get it...are all of the people making these posts just purposely being obtuse?

Yes

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I get the criticism, but I really doubt that this will be a 4 hour experience.

The sheer amount of work being put into this certainly warrants a $60 price tag. It looks magnitudes more difficult to produce than the static backgrounds approach.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so hotly anticipated I can't see how anyone would not know it's split into multiple parts.

And this lives-under-a-rock individual probably didn't play the original, so they wouldn't know the difference anyway.
I don't know about that. Every time there's one of these threads, there's always some users who go "whoa, it's split in parts?"

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I am absolutely baffled that anyone actually cares about this.

Is this a proxy complaint for some other issue people have?

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they DO have plans to release the rest of the storyline remade later in a part 2 (and 3, 4, etc)?

Yes, but they won't confirm their release plans. Either they actually don't know (unlikely) or it was just PR talk.

FFVIIR is very much episodic though. It's one story told in several smaller parts. It's just on a much bigger scale, but it's the literal definition of an episodic title.
The Witcher 1 to 3 don't tell just one story but three different, with each game meeting an end that resolves the storyline proper to that game.

While it is literally correct, we see a lot of confusion and altered perceptions or expectations due to subtitles in other games, particularly the usage of "remastered." This is a tough one; they are obviously keeping it simple for maximum marketing purposes (add a subtitle and it starts to sound like a spinoff) but some people will inevitably feel duped.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The only way this works for me is if the ball bustingly huge sales that this game generates results in the rest being "digital downloads" for like 30 bucks or the price of a Season pass to get the next parts added onto the original game. Other than that the fact that no one knows "how many parts" and the fact that instead of just fleshing out the existing game they're changing/adding stuff and padding out the Midgar section to fill a whole game has me completely unsure of where I stand on any of it.

The story changes already are enough to get me raising an eyebrow but we'll see how they handle this. I don't think even Square knows at this point what they're going to do after this.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
61bMkkwpduL._SY741_.jpg

How many people were angry that they paid to see what was advertised as an adaptation of a novel, and only ended up getting half the story?

I see we're comparing a $10 movie remake ($20 if you count both) to what will most likely be over $200 remake game of the original FF7 story. Makes total sense.

Fuck no.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna agree with Jason on this one. If there's no indication it's not the full original story, game on the box.

Seeing some of the posts in here explaining why it's not misleading with examples is interesting, lol.

I get opinions n all, but pick some better examples.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Futhermore, i think this is a stupid argument to have and none of us would be having it if Jason didn't write an article about it. i saw ZERO complaints about the "title" of the game leading up until right now.
There were absolutely 100% discussions about this after E3 when it was shown that they were still just calling the first release "FF7 REMAKE"

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not so hard to slap a "Part 1" on the box.

I understand it's a full game, but simply calling it what it's called can lead many seeing it in stores to think it's has the full story they played many years ago.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like Era will be more mad about this than general audiences.

Isn't that the case with most news here? Lol.

If it's a fully realized, 25-30+ hour game, that's fun to play (looks great from all the preview media), then what's the problem?

Never played the original game but I'm very excited about this one!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
In conclusion you should know that this is an issue.
In conclusion nothing. This is more than just the first few hours of FFVII remade. Midgar isn't as short as everyone seems to be misremembering and it's already pretty clearly been added to to make a more complete part of the story. It not being outright, in your face "PART 1 OF HOWEVER MANY WE WANNA MAKE IT!" is asinine. Bitching about it when we haven't seen the back of the box to know if they are for sure not mentioning it only being part of the full experience is asinine.

This is not an issue.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Does Infinity War is Remake of something?

It's a "remake" of a comic book story line technically. And it doesn't contain the entire story.

I honestly think Infinity War is a really fair comparison, because it was announced initially as a two part story told in two movies, but the general public that don't follow movie news did not know that.

When they got to the end credits and realized this is only half the story, the vast majority of people did not get mad or feel like they were ripped off.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

The sheer amount of work being put into this certainly warrants a $60 price tag. It looks magnitudes more difficult to produce than the static backgrounds approach.

I don't think peeps are arguing it shouldn't be $60, I sure ain't. It's just stupid that the front advertising for the game implies it's a full remake, which it isn't.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is anyone acting like back of the box is good enough when huge amounts of retailers won't exactly let you casually hold the box and read that.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
This makes me think back to FF7s advertising back in 1997 where all it's commercials were just the CG movies and not the actual gameplay. I wonder how many casual buyers bought the game and said WTF when they saw the actual in game graphics and the turn based combat?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I just want them to adress this already. I'm so tired of these discussions lmao.

Same here.

After years of "VAPORWARE!" and "Modern Square sucks & I don't trust them to pull it off!" and "Can't wait to play this on snow-globe PS9 when my body floats through The Matrix in 2115!" and "Square is turning this into a shitty action game!"- we finally get to the game reveal, it's exciting, the designs are fucking incredible, the gameplay (from all accounts) is excellent, they've eliminated fears by confirming the materia system and a 'classic' combat style that plays in a more turn-based, strategic fashion... everything seems to be going right... yet this is the new albatross around the project's neck. And it will be continue to be unless they address it- either by explaining the reasoning or adding a goddamn subtitle to appease people. But this needs to be addressed in the next 5 months.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Its going to be like X and X-2 so FFVIIR-2 will be part 2.

I don't think this is that bad as remake is meant to be its own game content wise even if it doesn't tell the full FFVII story it has new stuff added to it to flesh out midgard etc.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Not against there being a subtitle, but really what drawbacks does not having one present. Like, good faith here, for real.
You've purchased an entire, supposedly lengthy game. Do you feel cheated that it wasn't longer? Or that they chose to expand a previous portion instead of providing the original experience in a shorter span? Is the wait for new content the issue? I can empathize with the general public not being aware, and based on the backlash I'm sure we'll hear about it at release. It's valid to stand up for those being misled, that much I can totally agree on. It should probably have a subtitle, and I'm still kinda baffled they decided to call it 'remake' directly and not something else.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure everyone that buys it is gonna think its the whole game, and seeing the 2 discs in the case will only reinforce that. Yes, I mean everyone, this forum and others are such a small portion they don't even register on the scale. This is a volcano waiting to erupt imo

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

That's not what he meant. He meant the remake is based on 4 hours of the original game, just with extended content to be a full AAA length game.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
As it stands now, that cover is misleading.

Maybe there's a possibility that it's not the final one? Human error?

But I'm not holding my breath.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The story is finished as far as this game goes though. Stop with the original PS1 game.

This doesn't even make sense.

Again, baring a significant rewrite, you're going to be left with questions like "who is Sephiroth? What are the ancients? But what about Shinra? What is Jenova? Where are they going next?" In any other context, these would be sequel hooks meant to be followed up, and finished and resolved, in a future title.

And if we're at the point where sequel hooks are involved, what is the harm in spelling this out as the Midgar arc exactly?

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely misleading - just adding "volume 1" or similar would fix this, but I have a suspicion that SE isn't putting that on the box since episodic releases tend to not sell as well in general.

Jan 2, 2018
In conclusion nothing. This is more than just the first few hours of FFVII remade. Midgar isn't as short as everyone seems to be misremembering and it's already pretty clearly been added to to make a more complete part of the story. It not being outright, in your face "PART 1 OF HOWEVER MANY WE WANNA MAKE IT!" is asinine. Bitching about it when we haven't seen the back of the box to know if they are for sure not mentioning it only being part of the full experience is asinine.

This is not an issue.

Tell me, who would suffer if they put "Part 1", "Episode 1" or some subtitle on it to make it more clear?

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, it should be Final Fantasy VII Remake: [subtitle]

Honestly surprised Square aren't doing that given their love for overly-long titles.

Last edited:

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely misleading, I said it in the other thread about the box art and I've argued it in the past when they've showed the name in trailers too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 just massively opens up after the part the remake will likely end. I doubt there'll be 10 parts, 3 tops is my guess.

It'll need to be at least four parts, honestly. Midgar is such a tiny slice of the game that you'd need at least three more games to cover everything unless you cut a LOT - and the world gets way BIGGER after Midgar, not smaller.

The title needs to be FFVII Remake: Prologue or FFVII Remake: Midgar Chronicles or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.