• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I honestly love all of this hand wringing over a theoretical person who is such a shitty consumer that they don't glance at the back of a video game box before purchasing it off the shelf.

From a naming standpoint, I think Part 1 should be in the title so that the game spines look nicer lined up after the series is finished.

From an ethical stand point, you're going to have a really hard time convincing me to feel sympathy for someone who buys this game, gets an amazing full fledged $60 experience, gets all the way to the end of the game without ever glancing at the back of the box, and then gets mad when the credits roll.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I can see why they wouldn't call it Chapter as Chapter or Episode would get people thinking it's very short. Somehow people got the idea that these games were episodic like TellTale games or Life is Strange, couple hour bite sized pieces of a full game instead of it being several full games so that kind of name would cause problems too.

That's true, people have getting used to the idea that Chapter/Episodes means like a game 2/3hrs long.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
61bMkkwpduL._SY741_.jpg

How many people were angry that they paid to see what was advertised as an adaptation of a novel, and only ended up getting half the story?
also this

Plum

May 31, 2018
Does this really need to be spelled out for people? We have known all this for a very long time

Well of course, but the vast majority of people who buy the game won't because "This is Part 1 of many," is not something that's appeared in any of the game's major marketing materials so far. The number of people who follow gaming news enough to actually understand that fact is very small.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
It's very misleading. Even us absolute enthusiasts were confused by it until it was explicitly stated to us that it only contains Midgar very recently.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Its definitely misleading. Its not the full game. They should of just named it Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Midgar

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
There have already been people in this thread claiming they had no idea it wasn't the full game.

If there are people on ResetEra not knowing this, imagine how it will be in the real world.

We're in a bubble. This game is going to sell 10 million copies, and it's likely that a large chunk of buyers won't be aware that it isn't a remake of the full game.

They're not adding "Part 1" to the title because they believe it will hurt sales. It is the very definition of misleading.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I knew there was going to be a problem with this.

I hope SE just put in a "Chapter 1: Midgard" or something under the title.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Every game that has sequels planned should have part 1in the name as well, by this logic.

This is just silly lol

'Final Fantasy 7: Remake' implies a full remake of Final Fantasy 7.

It's not that they have to do it but the current approach seems dishonest to me. I just think it's a needless potential loss of good will toward the endeavour.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They are not going to put Part 1 in the title because then they would have to make Part 2.

Only halfway /s.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
The game either needs a subtitle or part/episode 1 on the box. Anything else is misleading to the average consumer.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what they're going to call the second part. Final Fantasy VIII Remake?

Or maybe it's just "Final Fantasy VII Remake" again but with a different cover art. Makes sense if you're Square Enix.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
They're going with their usual titles "Final Fantasy VII REMAKE", "Final Fantasy VII REMAKE 2" and so on, so I don't think "1" is needed here. Same as FF 13, they already planned for multiple parts beforehand and it wasn't titled "Final Fantasy XIII 1" for example. It's an FF thing and I'm fine with it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely surprised there's not a part 1 or something to say it's not all of FF7. Can definitely see some negative reactions after people who have waited years for this and the ending is "see you in part 2" it's kinda just asking for backlash.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They were working on titles that had no been adapted to live action films and they at least had the decency to give their movies a subtitle.

The Hobbit: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Avengers: INFINITY WAR

vs

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE
The subtitle doesn't contain the words "Part 1" and thus is misleading by the logic of the OP and thread.

Yet, we somehow managed to avoid people being mad about it not being the full story.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well of course, but the vast majority of people who buy the game won't because "This is Part 1 of many," is not something that's appeared in any of the game's major marketing materials so far. The number of people who follow gaming news enough to actually understand that fact is very small.
Someone is going to pick up the game, but not follow any gaming news and then be upset its not the "full" game. Seems like a non-issue if there ever was one

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I agree and hope square enix qualify it a bit before it releases. I can definitely see people buying it thinking they are getting the complete ff7 based off of the title. I don't think it's a big deal in the end, since a title is just a title and the game is a complete game, just help save ppl some potential grief pls

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
They're remaking the game to their vision. This is a full game all on its own as far as they're concerned (and I'm not doubting that it won't be).
They decided to call it Final Fantasy VII Remake, sure it isn't 100% faithful to the original game, so it's not an entire port of the original game to the new-generation. It's being remade from the ground up, and that includes the story.

You can't just brush it off as "it's not an entire port" if the story flat out won't be finished. Sure, it'll be self contained for the most part, unless they drastically rewrite the story, you won't see entire characters or even basic plot threads.

I mean, if Square wants to remake the 1/4th of a story, that's their prerogative. That still doesn't invalidate any benefit of clearly articulating this, unless of course there is a reason and a benefit Square has in not doing this.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Hope all future releases of Last Of Us gets Part 1 added to it or i guess it would mislead Uncle Joe of not getting the full experience.

How is that the same thing? Last of Us was a new game. FF7 is a remake of an old game. You assume you will get the complete packing. The box art is legit art from the ps1 game.

IT at first was a tv movie so not really sure why it is even being brought up.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It'll have to be a very obvious marking to avoid some sort of false advertisement claims - putting it in the game description wouldn't be enough, especially if it's worded casually as something like 'explore the first part of...'

Hence why I said "huge tagline". If they hide it in the fine print, then I might raise an eyebrow that they're being disingenuous.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He's right. It feels misleading to not title this Final Fantasy VII Remake - Part 1.

There will be plenty of people who don't keep up on gaming news but loved VII who will pick this up and be surprised when it ends after Midgar.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As long as it has a reasonable play time - who cares? If they extend it and do it good it'll feel like a full game any way.

The Last of Us was part 1 too, part 2 comes out next year ;)

When TLOU first came out, that was the entirety of the story. It was not adapting an existing entity.
The distinction here should be super obvious, so I'm wondering if you're just trolling? Like who can't see that this is a really stupid comparison?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
He is absolutely right. And, even though a Part 1 reference is added to the title, I doubt it would have any negative impact on the sales - the game looks amazing, and this is said by someone who won't be able to play it, so just imagine how many people will buy it nevertheless. As it is, with that cover, it could really seem a remake of the full game. And not all the customers read the back of the box - just to think about parents getting the game for their children -. And then, what about digital? I don't think people read all the description of a game on the digital shop page,

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, people who are not in the know pertaining to the divisions of the remake are in for a rude awakening.

Agreed. And the people that bought the original are in the millions. Not all of them follow Era or gaming news sites. This market is a small segment of the overall reach the remake can get.

I could see there being a bit of blowback unless Square Enix is upfront, which I don't expect.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I think it should mention that it's part one somewhere on the front, but misleading is a strong word for this.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is 100% misleading and the amount of people in this thread that think the casual audience is aware that this remake is supposed to be part one of a series (the number of which still hasn't been disclosed) is surprising. This is a good way to piss off casual people that don't follow video games to not buying subsequent releases.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
"Nobody doesn't know it's multipart, you'd have to be an idiot!" (multiple people in this thread have said this is the first time they're hearing about it)

"Square Enix has always been super clear about this!" (there was distinctly a period for a day or so right after the E3 presentation where the comments about discs vs parts lead to utter confusion and people not being sure if it was still episodic)

Status
Not open for further replies.