• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Final Fantasy Remake is a game all of its own.

The Last of Us was as well...
Now there's a Part II.... But they never called the first Part 1!!!!!!!!11ONE

I genuinely don't believe that you believe the argument you're putting forth with this post. You're either trolling or intentionally not considering people's point.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think ditching 'Remake' and giving it a subtitle, like 'Final Fantasy 7: Midgar' would feel more honest

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's right. The title of the game should indicate its episode 1 at the very least. Putting it on the back of the box is in no way acceptable. It may look really good but being just the midgar section, it is NOT Final Fantasy 7 and calling it such without qualifying what you're actually getting is misleading.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What Squeenix is doing is shady. And nonsensical. This collection of games is gonna look weird when the first episode is titled REMAKE and the others get some other, more meaningful subtitle.

A first part that its own game.

You see the same with movie remakes.
Like what? What movie was remade into multiple parts with the first part not featuring any subtitle whatsoever to indicate it's the first volume of a larger collection?

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just want them to adress this already. I'm so tired of these discussions lmao.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Every game that has sequels planned should have part 1 in the name as well, by this logic.

This is just silly lol

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Remember when "IT" came out in 2017 and didn't have "chapter 1" or "part 1" in the title because we all knew what the deal was since that story is so ubiquitous in society.

Same thing.

Also people in here are acting like Square Enix hasn't been clear and unambiguous about the plans for this game from the very start and are trying to get one over people.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait with my outrage until I see the back of the box but they better make it clear in ad spots how much of the story is covered in the title.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The Russos also need to be strung up for not labeling the Avengers movies properly!
peter jackson is a god damn crook for not putting part 1 of 3 on the posters for the hobbit
They were working on titles that had no been adapted to live action films and they at least had the decency to give their movies a subtitle.

The Hobbit: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Avengers: INFINITY WAR

vs

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm not buying "misleading." I can't imagine there are many people who played the original FFVII and are excited to buy this remake are completely unaware of the splitting up into chapters thing.

How is it false advertising? "Remake" doesn't mean "faithful replication of the original with updated visuals."
You do know that a lot of people don't visit forums and the such. Saying pt. 1 wouldn't hurt anybody

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People who say it isn't misleading:

Who does putting Part 1 (or its equivalent) on the box hurt? What argument is there against making it clear that the game is episodic, when it is episodic?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It effectively is, but just at a much higher cost
No? LIS and Hitman's episodes were clearly just a small part of a single game. This remake is a full game that covers until Midgard, yeah they're gonna release FFVII2 and possibly 3 later but it's no different from a regular sequel.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
There's like a 0.5% part of me that thinks they're planning a Kojima-style twist on us all and it's actually going to be the whole game and this is the only way they could recreate that feeling of leaving Midgar in the first game way back when, by making none of us expect it.

But yes, in the real world, this is very misleading.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at how many people think this ISN'T incredibly misleading. Even a non-specific subtitle like "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" would have been better.

Guess it would be totally cool for LucasArts to advertise a "full" Star Wars Episode IV remake that abruptly ends once Luke boards the Millennium Falcon.
Yea

FFVII remake: midgard would be fine.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Like what? What movie was remade into multiple parts with the first part not featuring any subtitle whatsoever to indicate it's the first volume of a larger collection?
The Hobbit trilogy, while not strictly speaking a remake of another movie, was split into three parts, with the first simply called The Hobbit.

Edit: my bad, never noticed the subtitle on the poster

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sure if he made a remake of a hobbit movie and not the book and specifically kept the exact same title except put Remake at the end indicating it's a remake of the entire thing and not just the intro.

Also $60 vs $9 movie ticket so ya know.

All 3 hobbit movies on blu-ray would be about the cost of just the first part of this remake will be.

And 30+ hours (at least) compared to the 8-or-so hours it takes to watch the entire Hobbit trilogy.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think ditching 'Remake' and giving it a subtitle, like 'Final Fantasy 7: Midgar' would feel more honest

But then these uninformed precious casuals that played the original game 20 years ago would probsbly just believe that it's a new FFVII game and complain when they find out its just a remake?

/not entirely serious

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree it's misleading if the game hits store shelves and there's no mention of it being multi-parts/midgar only on the back of the box.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's misleading because it's intended to be multiple parts from the jump.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
What if we are the ones being misled and Square has kept a tight lid on the fact that it's actually not episodic anymore and just the full ass game that we will only find out upon release?

Yes, it's a misleading box art and they really should just put something like "The Midgar Arc" on it if putting an episode number is risky for sales or something.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want the next part to be called 2 Final 7 Fantasy Remake. Do it SE you cowards.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
First time I've agreed with Jason in a while. "Part 1" in small writing underneath isn't that hard to do surely?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
He's absolutely right. If they don't want to use the "Part 1" label for fear of implying that it's not a full game, then they should subtitle it. "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgar" or something.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
If they have a huge tagline on the back of the box that says "PART ONE OF THE PROJECT TO REMAKE THE CLASSIC" or some such, I think they avoid any potential claims for false advertisement.

Still, for sake of consistency, it will be odd for the official title of Part 1 to just be "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" and then the following games be called "Final Fantasy Remake Part 2" and "Final Fantasy Remake Part 3". It'll look odd stacked together on a shelf, but that's never stopped game companies doing weird names in the past.
It'll have to be a very obvious marking to avoid some sort of false advertisement claims - putting it in the game description wouldn't be enough, especially if it's worded casually as something like 'explore the first part of...'

Oct 25, 2017
Let's think of it this way; for what reason would Square Enix have in NOT specifying "Part 1" on the title, or making it crystal clear in marketing that this is only the Midgar arc?

Basically this; calling it FFVII Remake is obviously meant to rely on people's memories/nostalgia for FFVII to make them want to purchase it, and sticking Part 1 in the title would probably lead to some people hesitating since it's not the full game/may not contain their favorite parts.

If we were in a world where multi-part remakes were the norm, and buying the remake of something was commonly meant to buy a remade slice of that thing, then maybe it'd be murkier--but it's being left out of the title because including it in the title/front art would have a negative impact sales. I don't think this is a particularly controversial suggestion; yes, it's on the back of the box, but the impact is different from just making it clear on the front that it's not a complete remake of the original experience. Whether or not people have a personal problem with this is up to them, but this isn't intended as a standalone work and isn't what the common understanding of the title would be, and that's a marketing decision.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yup. Vol 1 or Part 1 should be included in the game title on the cover, not only on the back. As it is is misleading as its not the full remake of the FF7.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends how it shakes out - they really do seem to be going all out to make "part 1" a full game, which would be let down by anything that makes people decide to hold off till the "full release". Square Enix probably knows that's a bad idea - they have Life is Strange sales figures to show how many people buy in after the last Episode is out, after all. In this case that'd be 5+ years from now, which would be catastrophic financially.

Honestly they should have just dropped the "Remake" part instead, and advertised the following parts as sequels a la XIII-2 etc. but this is a Nomura production, don't expect the titles to make a whole lotta sense

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
61bMkkwpduL._SY741_.jpg

How many people were angry that they paid to see what was advertised as an adaptation of a novel, and only ended up getting half the story?

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
It's about as misleading as his article.

We don't know what's on the back of the box and nor does he. He failed to state that in his article.

Status
Not open for further replies.