• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, 2021 was definitely the target initially. I just hope it manages to hit it despite COVID.

Interesting. Glad to hear FFXVI seems to be further along in development than we think. I found the debut trailer to be incredibly disappointing and deeply dislike the WRPG vibe and especially visual style they're clearly going for, but I'm keeping an open mind as a huge FF and Square fan and hoping I see something that grabs me the next time they show us the game. I will at least say, though, that the second half of the debut trailer is significantly better than the first half.

Bring on FFVIIR2, though. Goddamn I'm hyped for that. FFVIIR was phenomenal.
I wouldn't say it looks like a WRPG just because it looks darker and more serious. It's very reminiscent of the Opening for FF2 actually.

And the main character still looks like a jpop star which isn't something you'll see in any WRPG lol. We've also seen very little despite it apparently being far along.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That might be partly why it looked pretty meh graphically speaking. Wouldn't be surprised if much of its development life it spent on prospective hardware much worse in performance than the PS5 is looking to be. I do hope they can brush up the visuals, because honestly in certain ways FFVIIR and FFXV look better. That said, I'm glad it may come out sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I can tell it isn't far off, the game looks pretty far along.

source.gif
This is going to sound pretentious as all fuck, but that's the thing about "ACTUAL" gameplay versus staged gameplay. People see the "jank" and small animation blemishes that real gameplay brings and recoil because they're used to the fake trailers and fake gameplay that is often shoved out in a PR campaign. The fact tha tI can see all the little nuances and button presses and camera work (Camera is often the most telling when people pretend it's "Gameplay") means that this is someone actually showing a game that's running on an engine and not a fake hud slapped over a FMV.

People saying this looks "meh" but still report bullshit like "cinematic trailers" as gameplay and yet pretend to want to see gameplay instead of CG trailers blow my mind. It has no where to go but up from here in the polishing phases.

I can always spot bullshit gameplay from a mile away and people always pretend that they want it, and then when they get it they just shit on it. Give me "meh" looking gameplay over bullshit any day.

It's weird because with FF7 remake and FF 16 in the pipeline I feel like every FF fan should be happy right now
That's my perspective. Everyone who's mad about FFXVI has FF7R2, and everyone mad about FF7R2 has FFXVI now. It just feels good to have SOMETHING that isn't the same thing we've been getting with the same teams we've been seeing with the same footage we've been seeing over and over again for a decade and some change now. It's a good time to be in the FF fandom.

FF7r looked absolutely godawful in some parts, with textures that barely load at times. I'm still waiting for a PC version so I can enjoy the game properly.

If the game is more open in its level design then to me it looks better than FF7r.
Yeah the people praising FF7R didn't look at any of the daytime sections, or the terrible skyboxes, or the terrible NPCs, or like...anything that wasn't the main 5 cast members lol.

I think Cloud's model and the crew look the best they've ever been but the muppet mouths on the NPCs and terrible environment works despite being literally corridors the whole game was really not impressive to me in the slightest. Then you get to where the budget was all spent (the last three chapters) and you get a glimpse of how the game could have looked and it just sours me more remembering all the terrible junk piles and shit I walked past to get there.

It's not an "ugly" game most of the time (especially at night where the shadows and lighting are doing the lifting and the skyboxes are less obvious) but daytime Midgar was a mistake and it shows.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to sound pretentious as all fuck, but that's the thing about "ACTUAL" gameplay versus staged gameplay. People see the "jank" and small animation blemishes that real gameplay brings and recoil because they're used to the fake trailers and fake gameplay that is often shoved out in a PR campaign. The fact tha tI can see all the little nuances and button presses and camera work (Camera is often the most telling when people pretend it's "Gameplay") means that this is someone actually showing a game that's running on an engine and not a fake hud slapped over a FMV.

People saying this looks "meh" but still report bullshit like "cinematic trailers" as gameplay and yet pretend to want to see gameplay instead of CG trailers blow my mind. It has no where to go but up from here in the polishing phases.

I can always spot bullshit gameplay from a mile away and people always pretend that they want it, and then when they get it they just shit on it. Give me "meh" looking gameplay over bullshit any day.

That's my perspective. Everyone who's mad about FFXVI has FF7R2, and everyone mad about FF7R2 has FFXVI now. It just feels good to have SOMETHING that isn't the same thing we've been getting with the same teams we've been seeing with the same footage we've been seeing over and over again for a decade and some change now. It's a good time to be in the FF fandom.

Yeah the people praising FF7R didn't look at any of the daytime sections, or the terrible skyboxes, or the terrible NPCs, or like...anything that wasn't the main 5 cast members lol.

I think Cloud's model and the crew look the best they've ever been but the muppet mouths on the NPCs and terrible environment works despite being literally corridors the whole game was really not impressive to me in the slightest. Then you get to where the budget was all spent (the last three chapters) and you get a glimpse of how the game could have looked and it just sours me more remembering all the terrible junk piles and shit I walked past to get there.

It's not an "ugly" game most of the time (especially at night where the shadows and lighting are doing the lifting and the skyboxes are less obvious) but daytime Midgar was a mistake and it shows.

FFVIIR is definitely a pretty inconsistent looking title due to all the texture loading glitches etc, but overall it's still a graphical tour de force.

Some gameplay screens

FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

e0FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

873FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

47dFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9fcFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

c36FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

6a6FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

8dbFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9cdFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
That's dope. If it's good, it might be the game that drives me to grab a PS5 along with God Wars Ragnarok, though I don't expect God of War til 2022 given the pandemic and new hardware.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if there is a overlap between FFXII fans and peeps who liked the trailer.

Lol. Very well could be. I love FFXII (though I still need to beat it), and I loved how FFXVI looked. It's still a ways off, and what we seen is not even close to the polish stage (games generally don't receive their final polish until closer to launch, when the hard work is done, and they're able to revisit things and clean it up).

Although, to be honest, even if FFXVI came out looking exactly like it did in that reveal trailer...I just don't care. The game looks good. I know these platforms are capable of producing stunning visuals (see: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls Remake), but sometimes I wonder if gamers really know what they want. They complain when a game looks like a CG movie but runs at 30fps, but then they complain when a game looks like a "current gen" game, but will probably run at a locked 60fps at 4k. Like, developers are talented, but there's only so much they can do to balance gamer's sky high expectations for visuals and performance. And each studio is different, with different priorities in terms of what they're trying to accomplish with their game, and in the time frame and budget they've been given to produce it.

If Final Fantasy XVI looks like it does (with the usual end of dev polish), but runs at native 4k and 60fps (or higher), is that a negative?
If Final Fantasy XVI sees a massive increase in visual fidelity (ie, it looks like Demon's Souls Remake), and runs at sub 4k, and has a variable framerate or locked 30, is that a negative?

From my experience, you can't satisfy every gamer. There's always going to be someone upset about something with how the game looks or runs. At some point, the development team just has to put their heads down and make the best game they can possibly make. And facing the practicalities of game development, I'm sure some concessions will have to be made. We've seen that with FFVII Remake already. As powerful as these new consoles are, they still have limitations of what they can accomplish, and developers still have to manage time, budget, and resources.

I'm not even sure what the scale of the game is going to be, but if we judge by previous Final Fantasies, it's probably going to be a huge game. I doubt the team has even gotten to the point where they're applying whatever post-processing effects across the entire game yet. Those trailers are often cut months in advance from when we see them.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
FFVIIR is definitely a pretty inconsistent looking title due to all the texture loading glitches etc, but overall it's still a graphical tour de force.

Some gameplay screens

FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

e0FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

873FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

47dFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9fcFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

c36FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

6a6FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

8dbFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9cdFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg
Yeah Night time hides a lot of the tricks they use for sure. The Skyboxes are doing most of the heavy lifting here though, and on top of that you don't have much geometry to interact with and/or explore. It's very on rails and very tight quarters junk piles 99% of the game.

Just putting fog and dark shadows over most the game doesn't mean it's not still hiding a lot of shortcuts which for a game as prestigious as this one you'd think they wouldn't have to lean on. There's a whole chapter of the game that is literally just some grating with some rearranged modular assets over a skybox. For every fancy nightime midgar shot there's a whole chapter in blown out day time that has little to no actual geometry in the scene.

Like especially all those angled up shots, that's just a skybox, lol. That's not impressive to me in the slightest, especially when I know that despite all the character model geometry half the stuff in the game is tight corridors that still requires slow downs and slide throughs to load properly, and no real set pieces until the end to really explain why.

Just shoving some lighting into a dark space doesn't = tour de force to me lol. The volumetrics are nice but don't make up for all the other problems, and like I said, is really apparent when you get to the last three chapters where clearly most the budget was spent.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who says FFVIIR looks bad is in complete denial. There are a few low-res textures, but it's still one of the best looking games on PS4.

I just really hope FFXVI comes to PC along with PS5 like the original announcement said. I want this game, but I can't justify spending $500 to get it.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
"in some capacity" i would think this didn't started as a main ff. I can feel it.

But this is a nice thing, again, that SE can release a main FF that is not a generational long dev hell meant to revolutionize everything.
Bacj then they could release 3 FF a gen with strong and different story, universe, system.. FFXVI is a nice step back in that direction.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says FFVIIR looks bad is in complete denial. There are a few low-res textures, but it's still one of the best looking games on PS4.

I just really hope FFXVI comes to PC along with PS5 like the original announcement said. I want this game, but I can't justify spending $500 to get it.
It doesn't look bad, but it's undeniable that it is often wildly inconsistent.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

I won't derail this thread further after this post, but when games like God Of War 2018 and others do the things they do with daytime lighting and scale, it's really hard for me to take FF7R as a graphical showcase when 90% of it is stuff you can't go to and/or touch. even with the heavy use of skyboxes and things, I was never wow'd until the final approach to Midgar.

And again, the day time sections are particularly egregious, and it uses a lot of "tricks" to hide the fact that very little in some chapters is actually modelled, on top of rapid use of modular assets like the sewers and grating on the "put out the lights" level.

It's not a "bad" looking game but it is particularly inconsistent with its fidelity on anything other than its main "wow" moments.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That's might be partly why it looked pretty meh graphically speaking. Wouldn't be surprised if much of its development life it spent on prospective hardware much worse in performance than the PS5 is looking to be. I do hope they can brush up the visuals, because honestly in certain ways FFVIIR and FFXV look better. That said, I'm glad it may come out sooner rather than later.
It already looks better than FFXV, you just have to look at the quality of the models and textures outside of the hair. However, FFXVI is poised to be an open world game with potentially a day/night cycle. It's going to be difficult to beat a linear game with static lighting on this front.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Ha ok, but i guess.. they have different small prototype projects before they decide it's going to be the big deal, no ? We've seen SE change projects into other ones already.
Yeah, it's true we've had that (like FF IX, which started as a spin-off only to then become the best FF :P).

But I have the feeling the higher-ups might have specifically wanted the Yoshida/Taka team to handle the next mainline FF from the get go.

After all, Luminous Studio would be tackling a new IP and Kitase's division busy with FF VII Remake for years to come. And considering Yoshida's team's reputation and, perhaps even his own wishes to try his luck in a single-player mainline FF, I can see this being set in stone from the early days, at least in terms of intent.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Squadron 42 has been in development in some capacity for 7 years.

Yet here we are. Time means nothing. Years mean nothing. Prepare yourselves for a 2023 release.

Jan 11, 2018
Squadron 42 has been in development in some capacity for 7 years.

Yet here we are. Time means nothing. Years mean nothing. Prepare yourselves for a 2023 release.

What does mean something is the history of the key staff involved. A Realm Reborn was completed in 2 years and we get solid expansions with more story content than FFXV every two years.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd take a stab at a Fall/Holiday 2021 release. The team making 16 is talented and knows their way around the Crystal Tools engine.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
2022? That's still later than I expected. I thought we were done with this ><. Well, but console launch, so I suppose that can be excused.

Ok then. So, Xbox don't get it until the midgen refresh, got it. (I continue to doubt the existence of the mid gen refresh. I look forward to being wrong)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the game has been in development for 4 years doesn't mean it's near release. I provided Squadron 42 as an example of a well managed project with a competent and dedicated team that is still nowhere near release 7 years after early development started.

I'm a huge Star Citizen fan but I would hesitate to say anything relating to it is "well managed."