• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Interesting. Glad to hear FFXVI seems to be further along in development than we think. I found the debut trailer to be incredibly disappointing and deeply dislike the WRPG vibe and especially visual style they're clearly going for, but I'm keeping an open mind as a huge FF and Square fan and hoping I see something that grabs me the next time they show us the game. I will at least say, though, that the second half of the debut trailer is significantly better than the first half.

Bring on FFVIIR2, though. Goddamn I'm hyped for that. FFVIIR was phenomenal.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Why does literally every FF thread need to become hot take city? The FF fan base is the worst one, I swear.
It really is bad. Though I've come to consider the FF fanbase to be like a hyper version of the Sonic fandom in terms of how splintered it is due to the rapidly different identities in each title. In that sense FF 'fandom' doesn't really seem like a thing (Though the same thing can be said of all fanbses to a varying degree.)

Oct 27, 2017
I could see a holiday release in late November 2021. That would give it nearly 2-3 years of full production if it started full in 2019. Then FF7R-2 in late 2022 or spring 2023

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Guess the mishandled development of Versus-13 forced them to make some changes that have resulted in a somewhat more regular Final Fantasy release schedule. Maybe this one will have a comprehensible story.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I was thinking 2028 so it's releasing in 2026?

uMyQ2Bv.gif

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
FF7 Remake Part 1 PC - April 2021

FFXIV 6.0 - Probably Q3 2021

FFXVI - Q1-Q2 2022

FF7 Remake Part 2 - Q1-Q2 2023

FF FANS EATIN GOOD

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A brand new FF releasing just 1 or 2 years after being announced... can you imagine it?

It's so beautiful I have to believe. Love a good redemption arc.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it looks lower budget-ish and we have already seen A LOT of it in a reveal trailer, I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a Q4 2021 release, but a Q2 2022 seems more likely.

You saw a few scenes from the prologue and like one scene directly after. The devs said it was a massively tiny slice of what they've already finished. So there's defy way more to see.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Guess the mishandled development of Versus-13 forced them to make some changes that have resulted in a somewhat more regular Final Fantasy release schedule. Maybe this one will have a comprehensible story.
If it's made by the Heavensward team, I would expect the story to not only be comprehensible, but also pretty damn good.

Heavensward was so good that everyone kind of assumed nothing else in XIV would top it. The Shadowbringers hit.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say late 2021 but COVID-19 has definitely affected development time. Sad, but I can see maybe mid-2022 happening.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
A brand new FF releasing just 1 or 2 years after being announced... can you imagine it?

It's so beautiful I have to believe. Love a good redemption arc.

For anyone following Yoshida's way of working, it shouldn't be surprising. He hate announcing stuff too soon or when it's not ready. He generally won't ever comit to a release date before he's 100% sure that will launch on that date.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am not really looking forward to it since it's yet another action focused installment, but it's good to know it seems to have progressed better than most of the series' previous titles :)
Improvements in the direction side of things is nice to read... if it's not announced for 2022 and delayed to 2024 and made episodic like some combat flight sims.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe ships Q4 next year?
I am not really looking forward to it since it's yet another action focused installment, but it's good to know it seems to have progressed better than most of the series' previous titles :)
Improvements in the direction side of things is nice to read... if it's not announced for 2022 and delayed to 2024 and made episodic like some combat flight sims.
i dont think they are ever reverting back. Def why i love dragon quest

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't shown the PS5 footage yet. It'll probably take 5 years for them to port the game.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So as early as late 2021 or as late as late 2022

Would be nice if it's late 2022 - perfect time for me to buy a ps5 or wait an additional year for the game to get cheaper

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
In the trailer itself seems like the game has been in the works for a while, nice to have a confirmation. Hopefully we get a late 2021/early 2022 release.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is just copying their PS2 launch window lineup with the PS5:

Metal gear solid 2 ... metal gear 1 remake
GTA III ... GTA V
FFX ... FFXVI
GT3 ... GT7
Silent Hill 2 ... Silent Hill remake
Devil May Cry .. Devil May Cry 5 SE

...and the list goes on

And Demon's Souls could be better than all three of From's PS2 launch titles combined lol

Jan 11, 2018
Not sure what some people in here are smoking. The graphics look totally fine and certainly not "low budget". Especially if it means the game can actually hit 60 fps for a change.

Square Enix being overly fond of shiny graphics and prioritising it over literally everything else has been their Achilles' heel for well over a decade.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what some people in here are smoking. The graphics look totally fine and certainly not "low budget". Especially if it means the game can actually hit 60 fps for a change.

Square Enix being overly fond of shiny graphics and prioritising it over literally everything else has been their Achilles' heel for well over a decade.
I blame the stream quality and people not going back to watch the high quality trailer they uploaded. It did look pretty bad then.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Easily my most anticipated game. Looks so damn good. This is very good news.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV does not use Luminous or Crystal Tools. It is its own engine that shares some similarities with Luminous. FFXVI could be the evolution of that un-named engine.

With development, it was stated in an interview that while things are moving quickly and smoothly, they have a lot to do. I don't see this hitting shelves until early 2022.

As for the graphics... I think it looks amazing. The combat animations also look top notch.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
While it struck me as having less graphical prowess than most FF debuts (which now makes sense with that time table), it did feel far more mature in its gameplay presentation. I have high faith that we will be playing it in reasonable time, too.

It looks very fun and I'm looking forward to it!