• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is Business Division 3 (or whatever it's called)? Is it a combination of developers from other SE teams? Have they worked on anything before?
It's one of their internal development divisions. Creative Business Unit III (as it's now known as) is headed by Naoki Yoshida and in charge of both FFXI and FFXIV, as well as the Dragon Quest Builder series.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Hadn't we'd already heard the 'sooner than you think' quote before it was even announced? People are understandably weary of Square's Playstation announcements, but it looks like they have actually been making a game this time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. I truly think Square has largely gotten their development issues under control and that we'll be seeing XVI, VII Remake 2 and KH4 sooner than most expect.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Late 2021/early 2022, then FF7-2 a year - year and a half later (Won't be as long because they've got the engine figured out).

Good times ahead for FF fans between that and the continuing dominance of FFXIV.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is Business Division 3 (or whatever it's called)? Is it a combination of developers from other SE teams? Have they worked on anything before?

Is the busines division that was formed from XIV team, with Naoki Yoshida as their leader. It probably has grown since it's also now producing a full FF main singleplayer entry.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
IIRC, Square Enix re-revealed both Kingdom Hearts and FFVII Remake about a year before their release. I wouldn't be surprised if that's their plan for newer games as well, rather than announcing them five years in advance and having them disappear for years at a time.

Really like how the game looks but I'm also hoping that there's still a party!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Well, they need more time to polish those graphics then.

It looks significantly worse than FF7r.

While I agree with you that it weirdly looks like a graphical downgrade from VII Remake despite being a next-gen title, I'm more worried about how influenced by The Witcher 3 it looks, at least on a very surface level. A return to a medieval setting is understandable I guess considering how many of the previous mainline titles were futuristic, but based on that trailer, the world is incredibly bland looking.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
that's great news. The people involved are also super solid. FF has really turned a corner with the great still continuing FF14 and the FF7 Remake. Sure, 15 was not bad, but it wasn't great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still fully expect it to be here later rather than sooner, but here's hoping the cycle is broken and we don't have to wait half a damn generation for a new FF this time.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Not to mention, the team in charge of this is stellar. They know what the hell they are doing as almost all of them are right off of FFXIV, other than the DMC Battle director. There's no reason to expect any screwups.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Game is looking so good. I can't wait. For them to show in-game footage and gameplay shows how confident they are.
I've seen the argument that the game looks bad, but I don't think I agree. I think a lot of people are used to the flashy CGI reveals for FF games but this looks to be taking a much more grounded approach (even though we see crazy summon fights), which I'm all for. I need this series to take a few steps back, and just focus on story and gameplay, which seems to be what they're doing. The future is bright for FF!!

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell it isn't far off, the game looks pretty far along.

source.gif

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. I truly think Square has largely gotten their development issues under control and that we'll be seeing XVI, VII Remake 2 and KH4 sooner than most expect.

I would expect one major RPG every year starting from 2021.

FF XVI, KH4, FF7R-Part2 and Athia

Sep 14, 2018
The FF destroyers are currently tied up destroying 7 so I have high hopes for this game considering the people behind it.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
While I agree with you that it weirdly looks like a graphical downgrade from VII Remake despite being a next-gen title, I'm more worried about how influenced by The Witcher 3 it looks, at least on a very surface level. A return to a medieval setting is understandable I guess considering how many of the previous mainline titles were futuristic, but based on that trailer, the world is incredibly bland looking.

Let's also take into account that FF7 can afford to go crazy with details considering its 90s based design. Agreed that it doesn't look like a graphical showcase, but 14 isn't either and it's probably the best FF game in ages.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Sony is just copying their PS2 launch window lineup with the PS5:

Metal gear solid 2 ... metal gear 1 remake
GTA III ... GTA V
FFX ... FFXVI
GT3 ... GT7
Silent Hill 2 ... Silent Hill remake
Devil May Cry .. Devil May Cry 5 SE

...and the list goes on

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): History of infractions for dismissing racism and sexism, posting alt-right memes, low post count
Last edited by a moderator:

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting. It looked rougher to me than VII Remake so I assumed it was still a long ways off. Could still be a year or more away though.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Don't mess with us Final Fantasy fans
We give ourselves stockholm syndrome, but it's all our own fault

In all seriousness, this is great news and I am actually not surprised. Part of me thinks that there was a dip in quality for Stormblood precisely becausea lot of the division was focused on the creative aspects of 16 full tilt. Yoshi-P is a verywaterfall style planner when it comes to large projects, to the point where once something is set and in-motion, it hardly ever deviates from the original design document/spreadsheet.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
If this game is made by people who made Heavensward and possibly/hopefully Stormbringers, then we're in for a real fucking treat.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Pleeeease god let there be a party system and female characters. Everything about this game has looked and sounded so promising.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal seemed like it was designed to say "look, this is a real game that will come out soon". I know some people were underwhelmed by the graphics but whatever man it looked like it existed

My assumption is the plan is end of 2021 but it will likely get pushed to spring 2022