• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
God... Schrier does good work, doesn't he? I don't always love all of his takes (and I think he has managed to step in it on occasion), but I think the man has a ton of gumption and integrity. Those are characteristics you want in a journalist.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
At least within my company and most of my industry unpaid overtime is hard to avoid. Being able to complete a project within a certain time frame without all the resources in the world to keep cost at a level the client can be happy with may deem we work more than 40 when out in the field. Hell the norm is a 5x10 hour week. On the bright side when we're out in the field they give us per diem to live in the city and don't expect us to live off our own wallet, so you can save a bit more money and explore new locations.
My perspective is from a medical residency. There are laws in place that limit us to 80 hours per week and a minimum of 10 hours between shifts and we're required to log our hours to make sure we comply. And even with these restrictions in place, when you see your coworkers working longer hours than you, it makes you feel that going home would place a burden on them, so residents still stay late and lie about their hours. Unless you promote a culture of maintaining a healthy work-life balance where staff are encouraged by management to go home, it's easy for hours to creep up until you realize you've barely seen your family in several days.

Oct 27, 2017
That is fair, and I'm not going to lose sleep over not having a positive representation of Haitians in a video game. Times have changed a lot since 2002, so I will likely just mock whatever inaccurate depiction of Haitian culture I find. I liked the original idea of the Voodoo Boys being portrayed as a white gang A LOT better, if that was what the source material led to.

Yeah, I kind of see it like GTA: San Andreas. As a black dude I was excited to have a game that had a ton of black people in all sorts of leading roles and a black protagonist. Yeah they were mostly gangbangers or a dirty cop, but then everyone you encounter is kind of fucked up, so they aren't uniquely villainous/bad people within the context of the game

I do wonder if keeping them as a white gang wouldn't have just had people complaining about a missed opportunity to have actual Haitians instead (ie. like having Danny Rand/Iron Fist be white instead of Asian). It's possible

I get why he would say that.

Let's put it this way, saying he'd consult with NGO's instead of just..."Haitian people", was a very odd thing to say.
It's really not odd at all. An NGO is any non-government organization. For instance if you were doing a game that involved Native American culture, you're not just going to talk to your random Native American friend who might not be part of the tribe your interested in or might not know anything. You're going to talk to some tribal organization. That's all he meant

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR couldve easily ignored this (I remember capcom ignoring the stuff about the zombies in re5 for example) so i give them a lot of credit for addressing these issues.

With that said, seeing is believing they take this to heart
The saddest thing about all of this is that most, if not all, the people who've been giving CDPR shit the last few days, deserved or not, are gonna buy Cyberpunkt 2077 at some point.
Well I think that the people complaining to the company, and if the company actually shows their work, then it could be evaluated on and rewarded on merit. If they actually portray Haitian people well, that could be an admitted plus. If they put in an option for non-binary and trans representation in a non-exploitative way, would that be a sign that they have listened and learned something at least? Did they basically earn a final 5 minutes to explain from the people who originally said fuck off? Maybe, maybe not. Time will show.

But does that show the merit of telling the company they fucked up? And how it was done?

Oct 25, 2017
Great interview by Jason. He continues to ask the questions that need to be asked.

I'm excited for Cyberpunk and well aware of how controversial CDPR has been. Lets wait for the final product and then judge.

Also if Haitians are happy seeing themselves represented then that's all there is to it. It doesn't need to be deeper than that.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My perspective is from a medical residency. There are laws in place that limit us to 80 hours per week and a minimum of 10 hours between shifts and we're required to log our hours to make sure we comply. And even with these restrictions in place, when you see your coworkers working longer hours than you, it makes you feel that going home would place a burden on them, so residents still stay late and lie about their hours. Unless you promote a culture of maintaining a healthy work-life balance where staff are encouraged by management to go home, it's easy for hours to creep up until you realize you've barely seen your family in several days.
Yeah that's another issue. Leaving and having your coworkers work more. For us our system of break is that every 3 weeks you get a 3 day weekend so try to work what is expected of you and your coworkers.

Some of my coworkers have no hobbies and get bored easily though, so they don't mind coming in to work 7 days a week. I do. So I work what is expected and ask for favors to take care of personal situations whenever needed and nobody complains since they understand in here its hard to take care of personal business when you're working 6 days a week and living by yourself.

There's no easy to go to solution unfortunately unless the entire general location you live in unionizes or agrees on a standard the competition can't take advantage on.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Certain people will never be happy. If they get the response they want about an issue that they raised then they will simply change the framing of the question or move on to another issue entirely. Or as evident in some of the responses in this thread they say "I don't believe them" or "there's something not quite right here...".

So yeah. It's a no win situation.

The crazy thing is I was just on Gamersyde and I've never seen so much diversity in almost every way from a modern AAA game.

Some people seem to be holding on to old grudges regarding this company which is fair enough.
In this forum theres still a little butthurt of cdpr of getting most of the gotys for the witcher 3 that year instead of gaf/era's darling bloodborne.
I really REALLY hope people are actually not that pity and im just imagining things (and im not saying here the game is not open to criticising, far from that) but when you start seeing the usualy suspects doing it and you remember their reactions from that goty times, yeah...

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I get why he would say that.

Let's put it this way, saying he'd consult with NGO's instead of just..."Haitian people", was a very odd thing to say.

I don't think it is odd. By saying NGO there is an implication they are speaking to an organisation that has put themselves forward as representatives of their culture, rather than random Haitians, and perhaps are more informed or are experts on the impact and legacy that bad representation in a massive game like Cyberpunk could have.

Oct 25, 2017
"We can never be 200% sure that there won't be some pressure, but it's actually our management's work to make sure people are OK with that,"

oh, okay then. It's not like the pressure is what makes people say they are ok with that
But that's just how it is. That's just an honest answer.
If he said "No, we made 100% sure there is no pressure" that would just be a lie because you cannot ensure that.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, strictly gameplay wise, people have been VERY critical about the feeling of the shooting.

Fixed it for ya:
I mean, strictly gameplay wise, ONE OR TWO media outlets have been critical about the feeling of the shooting and a lot of press were impressed by gameplay mechanics that's why they gave a shit load of awards to Cyberpunk.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
This was another great interview by Jason, stellar work. It sounds like a step in the right direction by CD Red, we'll see with more time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why the questions are in a gigantic font and the responses tiny in the OP? Makes for a strange read

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Will wait and see the final execution

That's where I'm at as well. I really do appreciate that they're trying to say the right things and respond rather than ignoring controversy. I'd like to reward that, even if they're imperfect. Still, if it's just lip service and the game turns out to be all edgelord all the time I still have a hard time believing I'd enjoy it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The saddest thing about all of this is that most, if not all, the people who've been giving CDPR shit the last few days, deserved or not, are gonna buy Cyberpunkt 2077 at some point.

This is not uncommon. I despise Facebook and everything they stand for yet I just bought the Oculus Quest.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
God... Schrier does good work, doesn't he? I don't always love all of his takes (and I think he has managed to step in it on occasion), but I think the man has a ton of gumption and integrity. Those are characteristics you want in a journalist.

He is a great investigative journalist!

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Ok, I don't want to be aggressive or anything here, but people are still saying that CD Projekt RED doesn't have the best recent track record when it comes to social issues
Recent? What did they do in recent times to cause a controversy? Homophobic and transphobic twitts on the GoG Twitter profile ? If that is the case, that was one guy behind them who was fired probably a year ago and from then on there was not a single controversy from CD Projekt RED.. in their previous game they had a gay and a crossdresser characters which weren't the butt of a joke, on the contrast - their character were very interesting and handled with care.. you could pretty much choose which sexual orientation is the second most important character in the game (and in all honesty the major character from the Witcher novels).. a game where oppression and racism of the minorities was one of the main themes of the game and where women are even more in power than the men in the Witcher world and universe (player's character isn't even the one who saves the world in the game, but a young woman)..
And now we know that there are going to be trans characters in the game, characters of all races are going to be in all kinda different positions and occupations - so you have black characters being in a gang, but then you have black characters in corporate positions, in ordinary jobs and so on), you have multiple gender choices when creating your character, they are saying that they even have outside help with things that they maybe don't understand as much when it comes to minorities and trans and non-binary communities, etc..
They are definitely not free from any criticism, no company is but I just don't understand that because of more than year old twitts for which one guy was responsible for and was fired in that time, people are so aggressive here against this company.. maybe the game will end up horrible when it comes to this issues, but you can't know that after 50 or 180 minutes from a 100+hour game..

Yeah, this. I don't think that CDPR deserve denying them the benefit of the doubt, as a lot of people here do.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not me.

I refuse to buy anything from this developer because they've been harmful to my community. I won't support them and why should I? I'm not a gamer who is going to go against my beliefs to play some dumb game.

Maybe they should bring in people from the queer and trans community and try to do better with that situation.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Not me.

I refuse to buy anything from this developer because they've been harmful to my community. I won't support them and why should I? I'm not a gamer who is going to go against my beliefs to play some dumb game.

Maybe they should bring in people from the queer and trans community and try to do better with that situation.

They are consulting with Haitian NGO to get representation of Haitians and their culture right and Marcin said that they consult people and organizations about matters they don't know enough about. So what if it ends up that they consulted queer, trans and non-binary communities about this game and with their help did best they could?

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are consulting with Haitian NGO to get representation of Haitians and their culture right and Marcin said that they consult people and organizations about matters they don't know enough about. So what if it ends up that they consulted queer, trans and non-binary communities about this game and with their help did best they could?

If they were actively doing that with the LGBTQ community, we would've been told so because of the backlash they've faced. If they do decide to go out of their way and educate themselves and put that information into the game, I would be grateful for that. It shows that the people who work there are willing to educate themselves and grow in progressive ways. But everything I've seen so far shows that they're ignorant on the subject and don't know how to approach it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If they were actively doing that with the LGBTQ community, we would've been told so because of the backlash they've faced. If they do decide to go out of their way and educate themselves and put that information into the game, I would be grateful for that. It shows that the people who work there are willing to educate themselves and grow in progressive ways. But everything I've seen so far shows that they're ignorant on the subject and don't know how to approach it.

Knowing how bad people are at communicating, even after years of doing it and being educated to the field, I wouldn't assume that they would just say that even after backslash. People can be and are bad at communicating.

Wait and see at this point I guess. They have talked about wanting to do it right as they can and about consulting people who know better, now we just need to see if it pays off at the end.

Nar ofc not, i just thought it was strange. In my mind an NGO wouldn't know jack about gang culture - Unless they are a gang.

I think they want to nail proper presentation of Haitian people and culture in general, not just gangs.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
But that's just how it is. That's just an honest answer.
If he said "No, we made 100% sure there is no pressure" that would just be a lie because you cannot ensure that.

People who want change often focus on absolutes. WE 100% CRUSHED IT! But realistically, people can't be depended on for perfection. I think people took this comment as a half-assed we are working on it rather than what I took from it which is more along the same lines you did. By mandating 100% against something, you can create an issue where people who like to work OT feel dissatisfied and detached from their work. I think the whole comment is trying to take responsibility for the issue and create an environment where any type of worker can thrive. And that's not an overnight fix.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Nar ofc not, i just thought it was strange. In my mind an NGO wouldn't know jack about gang culture - Unless they are a gang.

I doubt they're looking for input on gangs, that's already covered by the original material. They're looking for input on how to properly represent their(Haitian) culture and language.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see they're at least addressing the issues. Whether they stick to what they say they'll do is another story but the fact they're addressing that I appreciate it.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It feels good to have problematic studios out here making promises, and huge forces in the industry like Nintendo and Microsoft speaking out against crunch and pushing their games to avoid it. I hope it isn't just talk though. We need unions so these interviews with management and anonymous employees leaking info to the press aren't the only vectors we have to see how things are going at any particular studio.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Great interview from both sides, very necessary questions and very good and to the point answers. Let's now just wait and see how things pan out but I hope it all works out.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I can't see them pleasing everyone with the representation in their games but I'm pleasantly surprised with how vocal they are being with regards to their approach. It's certainly seems a step above from how they've handles criticism previously.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware of the trans phobic stuff and yes there was justified blowback, but I am talking strictly game, bot the developer themselves. The game is gettign praised everywhere including here.

I mean, that stuff is part of the game. It's in the game.

It's getting a lot of hype (it's gradually becoming my most hyped game ever), but there's been some well deserved trepidation surrounding it this week.

I personally think CDPR has responded to it in all the right ways so far. But I'll remain at least somewhat nervous about it until I get the chance to play it myself.