• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
wage transparency is going to either create hostility towards peers or destroy the ability of hard workers to demand/receive larger wage increases.
Or it'll make sure that people are actually getting paid what they're worth in relation to other people/jobs.

The only people who dislike wage transparency are CEOs. Gtfo with this bootlicking bs.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Kottick has always been a selfish prick. Good on Zampella and West for not standing for it when they were in charge of Infinity Ward.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
wage transparency is going to either create hostility towards peers or destroy the ability of hard workers to demand/receive larger wage increases.

There is zero evidence of either happening. Being open about pay is important for every single worker.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Kotick earned that bonus, though, with all the good work he did this year on, uh...

Anyway, yeah. Blizzard churns talent. A lot of bright-eyed young graduates want to work there because they grew up with Blizzard games, and the company made a decision over a decade ago that rather than nurturing that talent they would work them half to death for half the going rate of their skill level in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country, then just casually replace them with a new graduating crop every year.

We're coming up on the point where those bad decisions will come home to roost, though. They could have used their legendary status to cultivate unparalleled talent and been virtually beyond reproach for generations, but instead they spent all that human capital on cash-ins and squandered their reputation. Graduates coming out of school in the coming years might know Blizzard as "those guys who made Overwatch, I think I played that in grade school" rather than the legendary studio whose games they grew up loving. They aren't going to get preferential hires anymore, and they haven't done a good job of retaining and developing existing talent to survive without the talent churn.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I get it looks bad... that Kotick makes 300-400x's more than the average employee, but his work is like 300-400x's that of the average employee. If anything the employees should be GRATEFUL that they can even make near that much... Bobby had to take a 5% paycut like 5 years ago.

he obviously works 40,000,000/80,000=500 times harder than your average grinding programmer. Duh...

Dammit beaten.

WHAT A WORLD.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or it'll make sure that people are actually getting paid what they're worth in relation to other people/jobs.

The only people who dislike wage transparency are CEOs. Gtfo with this bootlicking bs.

I don't know how many minimum wage jobs you have worked, but I'm an expert {Serious but I couldnt pass up the opportunity of the meme) I started there and worked really hard and gained maximum raises through hard work then the minimum wage rate was going into effect. the people who didnt try as hard but had been around for awhile were upset that they would be making as much as new people, even though they would be making more in general, ....Almost everyone is in favor of a merit based system{which is subjective)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know how many minimum wage jobs you have worked, but I'm an expert {Serious but I couldnt pass up the opportunity of the meme) I started there and worked really hard and gained maximum raises through hard work then the minimum wage rate was going into effect. the people who didnt try as hard but had been around for awhile were upset that they would be making as much as new people, even though they would be making more in general, ....Almost everyone is in favor of a merit based system{which is subjective)
What does this have to do with a minimum wage increase what

We're not advocating to pay every person the same amount

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is zero evidence of either happening. Being open about pay is important for every single worker.
I have been on the other end of the "We are are raising the minimum pay and and now everyone including new hires is going to make more than you are now" situation and I cant tell you how pissed people working their were

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Every time a game company says "games now cost more to make than before" when asking about wanting to increase the price of games, point at the amount of money their CEOs and high executives make. Then say: "Well, maybe it wouldn't cost that much if their salary wasn't that fucking bullshit high".
Executive compensation is not factored into game budgets.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm confused why we don't have any numbers at all of what the employees are making. Sure, maybe sharing the spreadsheet isn't the best but... what's the average salary? What's the minimum? How many people are making below... 50k?

Sure, the whole CEO thing is really dumb but we need NuMbErS! Someone tag Jason.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Will the typical "ThE cEOs Make MONeY BaSEd on PEfoRManCE, YOu jJUSt DONt GEt iT" appear?

New002

Oct 25, 2017

Wage transparency benefits the workers/employees. This reads like a boogeyman narrative that higher ups would use to justify not implementing transparency or cracking down on it.

We'd be better off if we shifted the culture around wages away from it being this taboo thing that shouldn't be be discussed with your co-workers.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Anonymous wage transparency could be a good compromise between full transparency and no transparency. If the wage information is anonymised properly, people could see if they are being screwed by the company but it would also protect the employees from being targeted by hate of their peers.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Daily reminder Bobby Kotick (or "Boby Kotic" rather) is linked to Jeffrey Epstein:

F5JHLWY.png

Boby needs his pay to afford his "special" prostitutes. Please understand.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

I agree with this. In my younger working days, i thought it was normal to share wages but as i grow older, i kept my wages to myself and just give a rough ballpark number to people that ask. Reason was in every working environment, there was the normal working dudes, and the lazy/troublemakers. It demoralized me for awhile when i accidentally realize one of my problematic colleague was earning more than me.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I have been on the other end of the "We are are raising the minimum pay and and now everyone including new hires is going to make more than you are now" situation and I cant tell you how pissed people working their were
SURE BUD! THAT TOTALLY HAPPENED.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, the stories I have to tell.

If you want to work in the game industry, don't. Especially if it's for a major publisher.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some corporate Kool-Aid you're chugging.
This kind of opinion sounds like something corporate would try to pull.

So, I;m getting a crap ton of replies which is a problem because im not trying to derail this thread. I find Jason great and he was the only reason I visited Kotaku(now I never visit their site). So I am going to sum up my position in a post and wont respond unless it is directly related to Jason's article.

1. Jason posted Koticks salary and stock incentives to show he was making too much but when citing the people quoting that they couldnt make rent or couldnt afford food, no salary was given. These people may in fact, not be making enough money but it should be the interviewers duty to ask and report the answer, whatever it be.

2. I have worked many minimum wage jobs. In the ones that actually give reviews and raises based on performance, How much you raise was, was widely asked about and led to a lot of resentment by those that did not get a similar raise which caused a lot of negativity and resentment in the workplace.

3. The company I worked for announced a company wide increase. Those that had working for the company for awhile did not appreciate that they would be making the same amount as new hires.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
It's almost as if workers require a union in order to force employers into treating them with anything resembling respect and decency.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does this have to do with a minimum wage increase what

We're not advocating to pay every person the same amount
OK, I'm not sure what youre mad at. My original post makes no accusations of lying. I only suggested that if someone is going to claim they aren't getting paid enough then they should have to disclose what they are getting paid. They may or may not be getting paid enough and maybe Jason knows, but I didnt see it in the article

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So, I;m getting a crap ton of replies which is a problem because im not trying to derail this thread. I find Jason great and he was the only reason I visited Kotaku(now I never visit their site). So I am going to sum up my position in a post and wont respond unless it is directly related to Jason's article.
You're not derailing. It's a natural evolution of the conversation that stemmed from the article. You've also provided two responses to are part of that conversation so with

2. I have worked many minimum wage jobs. In the ones that actually give reviews and raises based on performance, How much you raise was, was widely asked about and led to a lot of resentment by those that did not get a similar raise which caused a lot of negativity and resentment in the workplace.

3. The company I worked for announced a company wide increase. Those that had working for the company for awhile did not appreciate that they would be making the same amount as new hires.
There are both beneficial stories for you and your coworkers. Knowing what others make will put into perspective what the company thinks of you comparatively. If the company wants to have all new hires earn the same wages as established employees who have earned periodic raises, it creates a situation where you as an experienced worker have information to act on. You can ...

Talk to your boss about an experience / merit-based raise
or
Look for a job that will pay you appropriately for your skill set and experience

You see resentment. I see empowerment.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

And you didn't utilize this increase in minimum wage to negotiate yourself a higher salary? Seems like you messed up not the system. That or your skills aren't any more valuable than anyone else's were so you had no negotiation leverage...which again sounds like a you issue

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I've experienced minimum wage increases at a minimum wage job multiple times and have never seen this happen from employees, the only negative was from management/owners complaining about having to pay people more. Even if this were a common mindset (it isn't), it is still monumentally stupid and should be treated as such.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not derailing. It's a natural evolution of the conversation that stemmed from the article. You've also provided two responses to are part of that conversation so with

There are both beneficial stories for you and your coworkers. Knowing what others make will put into perspective what the company thinks of you comparatively. If the company wants to have all new hires earn the same wages as established employees who have earned periodic raises, it creates a situation where you as an experienced worker have information to act on. You can ...

Talk to your boss about an experience / merit-based raise
or
Look for a job that will pay you appropriately for your skill set and experience

You see resentment. I see empowerment.

1. I genuinely appreciate the sincerity of your post.

2.You are misunderstanding, I am not talking about me. I started as a minimum wage employing but performed well enough that I was making slightly more at the time. The resentment came from those that had been there for a long time that hadnt promoted becuase they did the the bear minimum or were working their part time as a side job

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you didn't utilize this increase in minimum wage to negotiate yourself a higher salary? Seems like you messed up not the system. That or your skills aren't any more valuable than anyone else's were so you had no negotiation leverage...which again sounds like a you issue
Sooo I was never in that group at that time. Im just posting their reactions in this thread.

Its weird, I am getting the old "pull your boots up by their straps" mentality

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Funny. Let's get the spreadsheets of the rest of the video game companies. Get off your high horses. I guarantee you your favorite companies pay their employees shit.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the replies, I feel i should mention, I have never worked at a place that has hired new people for more then the current staff. It has been anounced that new staff would be making as much as veteran staff.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If the CEO is paid less it is not like that money will go to the rest of the employees, rather it will go to shareholders or in the company coffers and those parties will be happy for having reduced labor cost.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Profits keep the doors open. Jesus. No one is going to pay for "bad" games or unsuccessful games. Is his compensation too high? Perhaps. Easy to armchair CEO.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
Funny. Let's get the spreadsheets of the rest of the video game companies. Get off your high horses. I guarantee you your favorite companies pay their employees shit.

It's well known by industry professionals that Blizzard has always offered incredibly low salaries to all but the senior staff and management. Developers still choose to work there for the supposed prestige and/or resume padding that the name Blizzard secures.

Of the half dozen other devs I know that went to work for Blizzard (on Overwatch, Diablo and WoW), all of them took significant pay cuts for the exact same job titles and descriptions for the supposed privilege of working for Blizzard.

Yeah, other studios also pay below industry average (that's why it's called an average), but Blizzard is one of the most well known studios to pay exceedingly below average to mid and low-level developers.