• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for giving second chances, but I just wish Bioware could just move on from this POS. They would need to overhaul it and make it F2P...but now that Destiny is F2P...why the hell would I ever play Anthem? They've got a long way to go to make their product more appetizing.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I really liked Anthem but once I hit end game there wasn't really a reason to keep playing. So I'm interested in an overhaul. Hopefully it turns out well!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for giving second chances, but I just wish Bioware could just move on from this POS. They would need to overhaul it and make it F2P...but now that Destiny is F2P...why the hell would I ever play Anthem? They've got a long way to go to make their product more appetizing.
You need to pay for Destiny to get the most out of it, it's not truly F2P. If you're only playing Destiny F2P, at some point you will need to decide to shell out, so you'll be buying a game either way.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's too late. EA and BioWare are going to spend all this time trying to make this game happen and no one is going to care.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
You need to pay for Destiny to get the most out of it, it's not truly F2P. If you're only playing Destiny F2P, at some point you will need to decide to shell out, so you'll be buying a game either way.

And I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but I'm also not playing a ton of Destiny regardless.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
As somebody who spent 60 bucks on this, if they can pull it from the ashes and give me a better product, I appreciate that they are willing to work on something that a bunch of us paid money for.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Talk about kicking a dead horse...big yyyikes. That double down ain't gonna work. Look how it's played out for Fallout 76.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just because they haven't shared all the details doesn't mean that stuff isn't locked down. Doesn't mean it is either, but developers usually keep cards to their chest for this stage.
That's not what was said though.
In fact, from what I've heard, the developers at BioWare haven't even decided how it'll be distributed. They're still figuring out whether updates should be released all at once or over an extended period of time.... They're even considering releasing Anthem Next as a brand new game, although those who work on the project said that could take a lot of forms.

The Bioware devs cited as the sources don't know what form this content will take yet. It's not that they're unwilling to share info. In this case, they admit they don't know.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ LET IT DIE AND PUT EVERYBODY ON MASS EFFECT OR DRAGON AGE

Edit: This game is not FF14, it's not the Master Chief Collection, it's not No Man's Sky. It's not part of a hugely successful IP where loyal fans will return to a good product if it's made right, nor a game whose lengthy development attracted significant hype and anticipation where some good will still remains. It's a dead IP that was dead the moment it was released, that had no pre-release anticipation, that has no notable fanbase. Cut your losses and go home.
Nah let 'em do what they want tbh.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
lol all these armchair developers.

Retooling the game and fixing it up based on errors learned costs very few resources compared to building the game up in the first place. There's very little reason for them *not* to try in terms of cost of sunk resources versus potential recoup from a relaunch. It doesn't take all that many resources away from Bioware's other projects and the foundation of Anthem is solid enough that there's room for iteration. Bioware has already DONE this with SWTOR and that game has been profitable as hell in the long run despite being a short term loss. I doubt Anthem will get quite the same turn around, but why would Bioware just throw it out when the hard work has been done getting it built in the first place?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what was said though.

The Bioware devs cited as the sources don't know what form this content will take yet. It's not that they're unwilling to share info. In this case, they admit they don't know.
Okay, well, they just announce this is their long-term plan then. They don't have a roadmap yet because they haven't fully developed it and will let us know in-time.

That is not concerning considering the stage they announced it. And they kind of need to announce it now to inform players of their intention. Radio silence would be far worse here than not informing us where they were headed.

Saying that, of course they have not given us any reason to believe this will pan out well. Their track record has been on a downward trajectory. No one blames anyone for signing off of Anthem or Bioware in general, or being super sceptical about this entire thing.

Bioware have gone from pre-order day 1 to a "let's see how it goes" for many of us, but many of us are still willing to see how it goes. Another failure now though would do incredible damage imo, so they really need to pull this one out of the bag.

No one will blame you for thinking they can't, but if they do... people will come back.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'm not gonna sit here and say they can't turn it around. I've seen it with other games (FF14 and NMS being the biggest ones), but it'd have to be a pretty hefty overhaul to get me to give it a try again.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
How I imagine EA right now:

images

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

There is so much content in Destiny 2 base now you can play months without paying a cent and that's better then most other f2p games out there atm. I got all xpacks and most of what i do in the game is actually the free content anyone can do.

PKMNTrainer

Oct 25, 2017
I still play semi-regularly. Very excited for this news. I believe the core gameplay is fantastic, but a lot of the glue that holds the game together just isn't good enough for what's expected of a GAAS these days. Definitely not an easy road ahead of them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much content in Destiny 2 base now you can play months without paying a cent and that's better then most other f2p games out there atm. I got all xpacks and most of what i do in the game is actually the free content anyone can do.
FTP doesn't cover most of the end-game content, and there's a tonne tied to DLC. To get the full experience, you need to pay, so it's not gone full on F2P. Maybe Anthem could take a similar model, that could work. The idea that it will need to go FTP because Destiny 2 is FTP doesn't pan out, though.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Other games have been turned around succesfully. FF XIV, NMS, countless Ubisoft titles. But damn they've really taken their sweet time in confirming it though. They're losing public confidence quickly.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I really, really liked flying around in that game. Didn't care for much else, but that part? So good! I'd happily return to a completely reworked version of that foundation.

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i dunno man...the core gameplay is just so much fun, id be fucking down for a full overhaul of the game with lots of content. BRING IT! this time itll come to steam too. LETS DO IT!

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
If they are willing to do what needs to be done in order for the game to be great I support them. Aslong as we don't have to pay it for it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's true, it is probably my first gaming experience where I felt truly scammed by the developer.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FTP doesn't cover most of the end-game content, and there's a tonne tied to DLC. To get the full experience, you need to pay, so it's not gone full on F2P. Maybe Anthem could take a similar model, that could work. The idea that it will need to go FTP because Destiny 2 is FTP doesn't pan out, though.

What tons of DLC? Have you even played Destiny 2 recently? Everything including most of the Forsaken content (apart from it's campaign and 1 or 2 exotic quests) is included in Destiny 2 F2P (New Light) now so the only DLCs you can buy are the Forsaken campaign which is very cheap and kinda unnecessary and Shadowkeep there is nothing else anymore.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What tons of DLC? have you even played the game recently? Everything including most of the Forsaken content (apart from it's campaign and 1 or 2 exotic quests) is included in Destiny 2 F2P so the only DLC you can buy are the Forsaken campaign which is very cheap and kinda unneccesary and shadowkeep there is nothing else anymore.

I didn't say tonnes of DLC, I said content tied to DLC.

Yes actually, 3 max level characters with multiple completions on each of all the current endgame encounters.

Forsaken and Shadowkeep have a lot of end game content that isn't available f2p.

I could ask you the same question...

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Cool, I'll check it out when they relaunch. In the little I played I liked some elements of it, but other aspects fell flat. I'll be interested to see what they do for the relaunch.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes actually, 3bmax level characters with multiple completions on each of all the current endgame encounters.

Forsaken and Shadowkeep have a lot of end game content that isn't available f2p.

I could ask you the same question...

2 xpacks from which one is very cheap is not a "ton" and Shadowkeep is the only xpack worth it for endgame content anyway.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lots of works to turn that into a good game, but i think anthem 2 would be easier to make it good than turning a bad game into good. Also i think anthem is different from other games that turned good in the end, there's a big single player part on anthem, and it sux, and there's no way to change that, FFXIV realm reborn continued the story. They can turn the multiplayer aspect good, but they are restricted in the story department, so i believe an anthem 2 with a new story, development etc could turn into a good game, Anthem the original has a part thats permanently bad.
By the time it is fixed it will basically be anthem 2 - but we won't be paying for it

I spent 60 bucks on this game so its the bare minimum they can do

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't say tonnes of DLC, I said content locked behind DLC which is a good deal of the current end game.

I love Forsaken to death but there is not a lot of it's content not included in New Light. I think it's worth it for the great campaign and Ace of Spades quest alone but that's about it and Shadowkeep so far has what ? 1 Raid the Vex Offensive horde mode and a Dungeon that's hardly a lot of content and i hope Bungie will do better next season because as it is Shadowkeep is pretty underwhelming and just playing for free allrdy get's you most of the content in the game that actually matters.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I love Forsaken to death but there is not a lot of it's content not included in New Light. I think it's worth it for the great campaign and Ace of Spades quest alone but that's about it and Shadowkeep so far has what ? 1 Raid the Vex Offensive horde mode and a Dungeon that's hardly a lot of content amd i hope Bungie will do better next season because as it is Shadowkeep is pretty underwhelming and just playing for free allrdy get's you most of the content in the game that actually matters.
SK is not underwhelming for the community actively playing it on Era. Might be for you, but a substantial amount of relevant content is behind DLC. So it's not truly F2P, and Anthem wouldn't need to compete with that directly.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Im surprised EA is giving them another shot and didn't close the studio all together. Good job Eaa

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
While I'd love for it to get a revival ala Siege or FF14. I just don't think it'll happen. Anthem doesn't have the good will of being a long standing IP to prop itself up on like Rainbow Six or Final Fantasy, and unlike No Mans Sky, there was not nearly as much pre-release anticipation for this game. Plus they got straight to work in fixing No Man's Sky. It does not feel like they have been putting in a ton of work so far to fix Anthem, and they certainly haven't been as public about trying to fix it.

Maybe I'm remembering the turnaround for No Man's Sky wrong, but I don't have confidence in this turnaround.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
So, stop dropping dumb absolutes.

Fact is as much as some of your revel in some developers failing, Bioware brand still has pull and if they rebuild this well people will come back.
Astro gets it right. It gets me hard that some posts keep saying "Anthem is beyond salvation because it doesn't have a fan base like other franchise."

People don't just sitting there religiously monitoring the overhaul progress, they are playing other games. But if the game is good people will come back and play. That's how it worked for the division.

And people around me play ff14 not because they are huge fan of FF, but they are into MMO and it's a good MMO.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Astro gets it right. It gets me hard that some posts keep saying "Anthem is beyond salvation because it doesn't have a fan base like other franchise."

People don't just sitting there religiously monitoring the overhaul progress, they are playing other games. But if the game is good people will come back and play. That's how it worked for the division.

And people around me play ff14 not because they are huge fan of FF, but they are into MMO and it's a good MMO.
That's a good point too. The core FF fanbase wasn't enough to keep the original FF14 as we all know, they needed to convince more than the core fans it was a good idea... and they did, so it worked out for them.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They want to overhaul it? Ok, make it playable offline meaning make a really good single player campaign offline then I will pay it full price.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
I so don't understand this mentality much of the thread has.

I can understand skepticism. Shit I agree with it, because it's not like BioWare or EA is instilling confidence, especially after the Andromeda 'post launch support'.

I can understand and agree with anger at the state of the game and the launch. They really sold a stinker wrapped in advertising And customers paid for that shit full price.

But I don't understand the hostility towards stated attempts to fix it. If you paid for it, they're not requiring more money (yet at least). If you didn't, it's not costing you anything. And if they pull it off, it helps build their experience and reputation. If not, they still can gain valuable experience and insight from it if good faith effort is made.

I find it funny that some of the posts are minimizing the NMS comparison. Your right, the context with NMS was even worse with a horribly botched launch, seriously deceptive marketing, from a first time developer, and a game with the thinnest of content. In fact, reactions to Hello Games early attempts to fix the game, even with the first and second patches, was met with the same kind of scorn at times that mirror reactions here.

I think they have the ability, capacity, and talent to turn the game around. Question is if they have the commitment and discipline to, and only time will tell.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Jesus Christ LET IT DIE AND PUT EVERYBODY ON MASS EFFECT OR DRAGON AGE

Edit: This game is not FF14, it's not the Master Chief Collection, it's not No Man's Sky. It's not part of a hugely successful IP where loyal fans will return to a good product if it's made right, nor a game whose lengthy development attracted significant hype and anticipation where some good will still remains. It's a dead IP that was dead the moment it was released, that had no pre-release anticipation, that has no notable fanbase. Cut your losses and go home.

They're trying the Evolve route

It will spike massively for 4 months after the 2.0 release, and then die again

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If they are going to completely overhaul it and turn it into a proper Bioware-ass Bioware RPG....I'm interested. I don't know how they do that, or if that's even remotely going to be their approach, but if they are just going to make it into a more competent shlooter (or even an amazing one), then pretty much nothing they can do is going to win me over.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I so don't understand this mentality much of the thread has.

I can understand skepticism. Shit I agree with it, because it's not like BioWare or EA is instilling confidence, especially after the Andromeda 'post launch support'.

I can understand and agree with anger at the state of the game and the launch. They really sold a stinker wrapped in advertising And customers paid for that shit full price.

But I don't understand the hostility towards stated attempts to fix it. If you paid for it, they're not requiring more money (yet at least). If you didn't, it's not costing you anything. And if they pull it off, it helps build their experience and reputation. If not, they still can gain valuable experience and insight from it if good faith effort is made.

I find it funny that some of the posts are minimizing the NMS comparison. Your right, the context with NMS was even worse with a horribly botched launch, seriously deceptive marketing, from a first time developer, and a game with the thinnest of content. In fact, reactions to Hello Games early attempts to fix the game, even with the first and second patches, was met with the same kind of scorn at times that mirror reactions here.

I think they have the ability, capacity, and talent to turn the game around. Question is if they have the commitment and discipline to, and only time will tell.
Good post, totally agree with you.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It still sounds like there isn't a coherent, single vision for the game and without that it's the same problem they had with the game before launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.