• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I cant help but feel EA totally doesnt actually want to use the Star Wars licence but they just want to sit on it anyway to stop another publisher actually making money with it.
That's what it feels like lol. I really hate this exclusivity nonsense as well.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
SWOTR can get te fuck.

I want a proper KOTOR game again.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They also tried to make Jade Empire 2 before they made Mass Effect 1 but it got internally cancelled. It was going to take place after JE1's "alternative ending" many years into the future and have a more Shadowrun-esque setting, allegedly.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we should wait for Anthem before all of the "I wouldn't want a modern BioWare KOTOR anyway" hot takes. Andromeda had a number of other development issues, not to mention butting heads between two studios, that a game as big as KOTOR likely wouldn't face.

Either way, this is disappointing news. I'm not sure who Disney will license the rights out to next, but once EA loses it, BioWare won't have a chance to touch it again...and I'd love for them to get one more crack at that series

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if it's due to them wanting to fit everything in canon. They've barely touched on old republic times at all, it's almost non existent in canon. They would probably just rather do some off shoot story that has little to no impact on the overall universe

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
They also tried to make Jade Empire 2 before they made Mass Effect 1 but it got internally cancelled. It was going to take place after JE1's "alternative ending" many years into the future and have a more Shadowrun-esque setting, allegedly.
Oh you're killing me here. I didn't know I wanted this.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Its for the best, Bioware struggled for 5 years on Andromeda and I can imagine the fuckery behind them making a KOTOR equal

EA: Make a sequel to KOTOR 2!

Bioware: OK! Hey F team consisting of the Janitors, the employees who only fail up and QA team of Andromeda dev team make a sequel to one of our best games!

7 Years Year

Bioware laying in a ditch after EA puts them out of their misery: wHaT hApPeNeD tO uS

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the issue was cannabilizating SWTOR, because a big open RPG is fairly easy to monetize and make online features for. They already had Mass Effect as a basis for making a large modern sci-fi RPG, and the Mass Effect sequels MP.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I wonder what the situation would be with the lore. The Old Republic is in a wierd place because it was up and running during the take over so it kinda feels like it didn't get it's lore thrown out because well it was making money but I'm not quite sure if it's considered fully canon or not.

As for KotoR's. I have no idea if either of them is considered canon and whether Disney would want to continue the story or if we would end up getting a refresh with a new Disney sanctioned story which may defeat the point of being a KotoR game entirely. I'd also feel like I'd miss the RPG systems/combat I have no doubt that they'd probably inject something more action based ala Dragon Age Inquisition and try and make it look slick and cool and it would have broke me. I love my old dnd inspired rtwp systems.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
What was the alternative ending? It's been a while.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that Disney/Lucasfilm will ever let there be any media that isn't set between Episodes 1 and 9.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If "Battlefront" isn't in the name, it won't get the green light from EA it seems.

Rename KotOR 3 to Battlefront: Adventure Mode

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming from someone who places KOTOR 1 and 2 on the highest of pedestals, this is rough to hear but also I'm not sure how well modern BioWare would do with a KOTOR 3 anyways.

Andromeda was baaaaaad.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Well, do remember Disney is going nuts with canon.

May not even be the fault of EA.

I want a KOTOR 3 more than I want Star Wars 9

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Why are you doing this Disney & EA?
imagejqp2p.gif

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still sad at how the story of Revan and the Exile was resolved in SWTOR. How some people feel about Luke in TLJ is how I feel about those two.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Oh you're killing me here. I didn't know I wanted this.
It was in pre-production but cancelled before it really took off. I think Old BioWare was conscious of their financial state back then, because if they hadn't let themselves get bought by Pandemic they would've had to close doors or fire a lot of employees, and Jade Empire wasn't quite as big as they probably wanted it to be.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that EA has the Star Wars license and the studio who made what is widely regarded as the best Star Wars game and hasn't done anything about that is really dumb to me

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
KOTOR is my favorite video game of all time; the only game I went to beat again within a week of beating it the first time; and one I have completed six or maybe seven times across Xbox, BC, PC, and mobile. I'd buy a Switch copy instantly even at $60.

It has a few technical blemishes and the world feels a bit "dead" by modern standards. And after you've Googled the best classes and upgrades, it can be super easy. But those things aside, it's a truly brilliant title from beginning to end with one of my favorite stories ever and it just did an excellent job of making you feel true growth through your story. I adore the game.

ToR is my single biggest disappointment in gaming of all time. And I have no interest in modern Bioware tackling a true SP sequel. It would never live up to the hype.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
The practical difference between a new KotOR and SW:tOR seems limited to me.

I mean, in theory they could do better combat in a single player game, but good combat wouldn't really be faithful to the original.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda feel like EA's problem with Star Wars is focusing on the sticker price of making a great Star Wars game and not what they would get in return. There's so many developers/publishers that would be thrilled to work on Star Wars and EA is over here counting pennies.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm... not really sure what everybody's surprised about. of course Bioware (or obsidian or anybody really) is more than willing to do another KOTOR, plenty of pitches have been cockblocked

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA handling of SW makes me livid. Why are they the sole owners of the license when they continue to botch & mishandle SW games.

Cannot stand this company.