• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we often don't take into account that the vast majority of titles tend to be cancelled before they really get off the ground.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Does Jason mean they've had multiple KOTOR projects canned or multiple attempts at pitching a KOTOR project to EA?

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Great job EA. You done good.

You could have easily published this. But you didn't. Instead you released 2 horrible battlefront games, and cancelled the rest of your games.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Does Jason mean they've had multiple KOTOR projects canned or multiple attempts at pitching a KOTOR project to EA?

From the article he wrote in 2017.

https://kotaku.com/that-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-rumor-isnt-1794215197

Problem is, this is old info. What I've heard separately, from people familiar with goings-on at the studio, is that BioWare Austin did indeed play around with a Knights of the Old Republic prototype, but that it hasn't been greenlit and is not currently in development. I've also heard that the majority of BioWare Austin is working on the company's new IP, which is headed up by BioWare's Edmonton studio and should be officially announced at E3. That new IP is a Destiny-ish game code-named Dylan, as Liam Robertson correctly reported in a separate Patreon post.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He's gonna have to expand on this "no luck". Was it rejected or did they just have no ideas? I guess that can be one in the same though.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA: Hey we have this Star Wars Licence. What can we do with it?
Bioware: *cough* Well we have expertise in creating Role Playing Game in the Star Wars Universe?
EA: Does it have Multiplayer?
Bioware: Well.. no bu....
EA: Then go back to your Destiny-Clone-Killer whatever. AH! Now I got it. How about some kind Star Wars Lootcrates but in our own games and with shitty droprates? That will lead us to success

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I'm still waiting to find out what was on the edge of the Galaxy waiting for the Exile. Before Disney thru out the EU I assumed it was the alien race from the New Jedi Order series that was immune to the force

I wish EA would at least port the mobile versions of KOTOR and Jade Empire to consoles. Literally ignoring decent money with that. I get Xbox since they are BC there but PS4 and Switch would do well

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
DIdn't a lot of the Bioware original group leave? Maybe the current developers just cannot recreate the magic, which would explain why they have become a shadow of the company they used to be

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
KoTOR 3 made by modern Bioware would never ever come close to living up to your hopes and dreams. It's better that they don't waste all of our time. Obsidian could do it well but obviously they lack the license.

Anyways Disney has an iron grip on canon so it won't happen.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I hate EA even more with every new news article that comes about them.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Whats with all these star wars games getting canceled and something like Battlefront 2 gets released
Whadyathink

Battlefront-Pic.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
KoTOR 3 made by modern Bioware would never ever come close to living up to your hopes and dreams. It's better that they don't waste all of our time. Obsidian could do it well but obviously they lack the license.

Anyways Disney has an iron grip on canon so it won't happen.

Bioware has plenty of very talented developers. Talented developers from the past leaving does not magically mean that new talented developers can not join the team.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After andromeda I wouldnt want kotor in development until it could be the full focus of Bioware. However it seems like dragon age is the next project after Anthem.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next E3. It'll be announced next E3.

You'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE.

:D E3 KOTOR 3: THE PLACE TO BE! :D

:(

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, without Chris Avellone I wouldn't want a third KOTOR. Obsidian should have gotten to make it after 2.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
You missed the chance for "but no dice"

NO DICE GET IT? HAHAHA NO DICE.
HAHAHA
HAHA
HA

-.-

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware has plenty of very talented developers. Talented developers from the past leaving does not magically mean that new talented developers can not join the team.

I do not want to speak for that poster, but I would think that it is the design ethos being so different.

Like, overall I think modern Bioware is a much more talented studio than Obsidian, but the things that modern Obsidian prioritizes is more likely to yield the kind of KOTOR game I would want to see.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
EA isn't interested if they can't monetize the shit out of the game.
I'm surprised they're even allowing another Dragon Age

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't want to defend EA but, were the projects even good? Like, EA greenlit Mirror's Edge Catalyst and that was awful. Makes me think if this KOTOR games were actually good or not, really.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
KOTOR3 would be difficult because most people didn't play SWTOR, which, like it or not really was KOTOR 3, 4, and 5.

They'd most likely have to pretend SWTOR didn't exist. Which some may prefer but really people just want a new Star Wars RPG. It doesn't have to be KOTOR, and would probably be better served if it wasn't.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So what's going on with Star Wars : the Old Republic and Bioware? I played a bit years ago. Does that not count as anything with Bioware?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I am at a point where I just don't care about any if this. Fuck EA, fuck Disney. My hope is that MS gives blank-check to Obsidian and that they choose space scifi setting for their next IP.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant help but feel EA totally doesnt actually want to use the Star Wars licence but they just want to sit on it anyway to stop another publisher actually making money with it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Am I the only one that find "discounts" on this crap hilarious?
Also, I don't want EA to make a new KOTOR, they would do exactly what this screenshot is showing.
I'd rather wait until the license expire and have someone do it properly.. It's sad that Bioware or what is left of them is in EA.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Based on who's left, it wouldnt have been anything like Kotor 1 or obviously Kotor 2, so i dont really see the loss here

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The same company that has a quota of needing chewbacca and lightsabers or else its not a star wars game.

The living parody of what redlettermedia makes fun of.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR3 would be difficult because most people didn't play SWTOR, which, like it or not really was KOTOR 3, 4, and 5.

They'd most likely have to pretend SWTOR didn't exist. Which some may prefer but really people just want a new Star Wars RPG. It doesn't have to be KOTOR, and would probably be better served if it wasn't.

There's like a 300 year period between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR though

plenty of time to fuck it all up