• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does Moon Studios crunch? They seem to be able to pump out high quality games while devs work from home.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something Id like to point out is that good people managers ensure the wellbeing of the employee first and foremost. Remarks like "they work as hard as they want to" speaks to massive negligence in regards to leadership.

This particular brand of crunch (not enforced, employee initiated) happens a lot because the talent often WANTS to deliver the content being asked of them. Its the managers job to make people go home and lessen the workload so the talent doesn't feel pressured. Its also a bit of a false statement because the leadership sets the sprints and deliverables so theyre speaking out of both sides of their mouth when the messages are these:

"you dont have to crunch if you want to"
"These 4 characters need to be done to meet the deadline next week"

One of the points of agile developing and dev tracking (using tools like Jira and whatnot) are there so that the talent can TELL you the amount of work they can do in a sprint and then you plan around that, not the other way around.

On my game we deliver content at a pretty damn fast pace so we need to keep employee burnout in our minds at all times. We still do long hours here and there, gamedev is hard and all, but we set what we always think are reasonable timeframes and have cut content and features accordingly when we know it would mean heavy crunch for the talent.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I'd be curious to hear about: are ND forcing employees to go to work even with the coronavirus pandemic alive and well in Los Angeles?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the weird posts trying to absolve the studio leads of any blame.

They're the ones who let this type of work culture foster, they're the ones who profit the most from it and at the end of the day they're the one that have legions of zealots thinking of them when they scream Naughty Gods or insert whatever studio name.

They're 100% culpable and they're disgusting people for it.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck working 12 hours. Cant they employ more people and lower tje pressure?

This s all on management. Tlou2 ll generate 500+ million, no matter when it releases. I dont get it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the games industry--and I can't speak for the film industry on this one--is that it's a dream job for a lot of people, and those people are 100% willing to kill themselves over it because they've been dreaming about making games since they were kids. But then they get there and realize the nasty reality of it and get caught in the vicious cycle. There aren't enough factors in the game industry to require it to be a 9am - 9pm, 6 months a year industry. Every industry has a need to occasionally have those working hours for some employees. Mine currently has something similar due to COVID-19!

It's wildly annoying to see people say, "Well just get a different job!" Because it's 100% that easy, especially if you're still a junior/mid-level employee. And some people do still wish to make games, they just want better working conditions. Nobody is forced, but nobody is forced to do anything I guess.
"Making movies" is just as much of a dream job for a lot of people as "making games'. Both are industries of passion. Whether it's actually having creative impact on the project or just focusing on your specialized field, being lighting or Foley or whatever else.
This kind of long sustained crunch does Not happen with the film jobs that have unions. They were long hours, sure, but not for fucking years, continuously. This is more similar to the VFX companies, who do crunch to meet demands of "AAA" films and...they don't have a union.

Does that sound familiar?

Well, if you're on a network show you are working most of the year (though do have a couple months off). For features or cable that is still several months in a row. But I see your point that jobs in the game industry last much longer as games have a longer time to produce, so they aren't completely directly comparable. And you can't just take a break whenever you want between jobs like you can in the more gig-based film industry.

Maybe having some sort of shift system would be beneficial, like a team works for six months or something, then gets a break and another team does the next six. Although even saying that I can already see some issues... I mean no one really wants to take that long off work. And many people truly don't want a break at all.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck working 12 hours. Cant they employ more people and lower tje pressure?

This s all on management. Tlou2 ll generate 500+ million, no matter when it releases. I dont get it.

Hiring more people often leads to more mismanagement. People usually fall for it.

Also, Naughty Dog games are considered "prestige" games for Sony. Sales, while important, are second place to the prestige and accolades their games earn

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Usually that's the way it works when you're either in management or in high-paying positions. I don't think it's necessarily mandatory but I think everybody feels then expectation and wants to deliver a solid product as soon as possible.

Just think for a second how you apply hustle and hard work to your own workplace. Now that doesn't mean it could be 12 hour days but let me be straight, I have worked those types of shifts not because I wanted to but because the team needed it. People go home sick, things happen and you are understaffed, it's a little bit more granular than just a blanket statement.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey jschreier is there a reason why Kotaku refuses to cover Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's use slave labor? I thought you of all people would be the first to talk about it, considering how much time and effort you spend talking about crunch culture.

I'd tag you in the original thread, but many posters already have and you don't seem to be bothered to respond.
You do realize what you are asking with this, right? This isn't a " US/European corporate culture run amok" story, it's a "Authoritarian government running internment and forced labor camps of ethnic minorities" story. What makes you think Jason has the resources, sources, and ability to cover this story? This is not a story you can do without contacts inside of China and probably not something you can investigate properly without going there and talking to the people who have gotten out. Doing so is so incredibly risky (people have been disappeared by the CCP for less) that I can't even believe you are seriously tagging him and asking this. He literally just had a baby. Meanwhile a Chinese man who was reporting on the virus outbreak in Wuhan has been missing for a month after making videos about how Chinese authorities are coming after him. The fact that you think this is a reasonable request to make is just...insane.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.

Your lack of mismanagement on your part does not constitute crunch on mine.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solutions:
Delay - will only add more crunch time
Unionize - obvious answer but won't work in a working culture that has employees volunteer to do crunch

Ideal Solution:
Change in the work culture

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Crunch is always bad by nature but i can't help but think there would be fewer masterpieces in the gaming world without them.

Oct 1, 2019
Yikes. If your own workers want your project to flop just for you to wake up, then you already failed as a manager. Someone at Sony really needs to address this issue or they're going to have their own Bioware situation.

Jan 11, 2018
Read the whole article. None of it surprises me sadly. The most telling thing is at the end where developers are actually WISHING the game to fail in hopes that it might change the culture at ND.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I will always accept a delay over ruining the physical and mental health of employees who bring me games that I love.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Really what devs should do is not announce a release date until the game is gold. These working conditions are just unrealistic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are big studios out there that work out just fine with a reasonable schedules. Big changes should've come to Naughty Dog ages ago. It's not like you're going to get somebody's best work when they're overworked and stressed out.

519.png
Reducing the stress of the prospect of releasing a shitty game maybe, lol.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I love Naughty Dog and it's a real shame to hear about the culture there. It is good they don't seem to force crunch but only hiring those that will do it willingly is exploitative. All companies have a responsibility to their employees health and welfare.

Unfortunately, I and many others will still buy TLOU II and all the other great games made with horrendous working conditions so I don't see it changing until the industry has literally exhausted itself.

Jan 11, 2018
I will always accept a delay over ruining the physical and mental health of employees who bring me games that I love.

Except delays don't help with that, they make it worse. The article said that the delay of TLOU 2 just meant an extension of the crunch. And surely that's true of Cyberpunk, and many other games as well.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I gotta say this thread is a lot more mellow compared to CDPRs crunch threads

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
ND sounds like a fucking utter mess to work with (between the horrendous crunch and that sexual harassment case from a few years ago that they swept under the rug).

Big, major changes need to happen there so they're not literally killing their employees.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an accountant, I know what this feels like. At least the devs have journalists like Jason championing a union for them. Meanwhile in accounting it is literally written in the government employment standards that we don't get overtime. Its 10-12 hours days, 6 days a week, 5 months out of the year, and nobody seems to give a shit.

Employment standards like this need to die.

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
This level of production value is not sustainable. Games like TLoU2, Cyberpunk or RDR2 are not sustainable.

We, gamers & media, need to accept less polished-smaller scoped games for the sake of the people in the industry

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Not that it makes it okay, but my perspective on crunch is informed by my living with it.

For around 2 or 3 months a year, I do 11 or 12 hours a day. 14 if I forgo my commute and sleep in the attic at work. For my employees, I make sure to keep the drivers overtime down so they are not out on the road fatigued. For technicians, I allow them to work for as long as they are willing or able. Some of them can put in that 10 or 12 hours for the crunch, and I send home the ones that can't even if they want to. I try not to judge performance based on their physical endurance or willingness to burn themselves, aside from ordering some food when we miss dinner.

I dont know. I can take the job or leave it and ultimately im complicit in overwork. Conflicted. I think of it as a "good" job. But is it really?

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
Construction doesn't crunch for extended massive periods of time. Like you're not gonna see 12 hour shifts for 3 months straight.
It can. And does happen. Construction crunches, if you wanna call it that, just as much. 7/12 from January to April is disgusting.

Again, tis all about games I know but it anything new new.

Do I have a solution? Nah. But I never think 12 hours will make anything better. Probably get better quality in 10 hour shifts.

I work in construction and i have to agree here. Still terrible in any laboral space, but what can i say to you... that's what the world is. And i dont know if not buying the game is the solution, because for the higher ups, the reason of the underdeliver will never be "people are protesting for your crunch", the answer will be "the game was not that good in the end"
I'm with ya there. And honestly I'm still going to buy the game. I mean, someone better than me can find a solution tho. One that helps everyone.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of producers seems like an obvious management issue

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reducing the stress of the prospect of releasing a shitty game maybe, lol.
I am 99% confident that Druckmann wasn't lying and that in fact this is exactly what he was talking about. I don't think he meant to imply that the delay would mitigate the crunch, because he and everyone else there knew that wasn't true.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Where is the lie? They didnt say they would have to crunch if they dont delay, only that they would have to sacrifice elements of the game. Still sucks these guys work such long hours. I used to work 10hr days in a ship yard 6 days a week and it took its toll eventually.
They said a delay will reduce stress on the team. Everything we are hearing is the opposite of that.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Why is management at video game developers so fucking bad at managing a business?

I really wish I knew more about video game development to understand why creating a development schedule seems to be the hardest task known to mankind

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I would say: "Delay it, give the dev's more time" but that seems to only end in more crunch.
Exactly. And that's coming from people inside the industry

If they delay the game further, they would crunch regardless. There's no such thing as "finished" when making AAA games.

What would be the solution? Hiring more people? Probably not, since "too many cooks spoil the broth" and all that.

Unfortunatelly, that's the industry reality. Heck, that's capitalism reality.

It will keep on existing as long as gaming exists.

70% of the designers from U4 left the studio, but they probably hired just as much if not more later since the studio's name is huge.

The best option in a workplace like this would be to build your resume, and then leave to somewhere else. I presume that this is very commom.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is management at video game developers so fucking bad at managing a business?

I really wish I knew more about video game development to understand why creating a development schedule seems to be the hardest task known to mankind
It's cause making games is really fucking hard. Games are some of the most complex pieces of commercially available software (they incorporate artificial intelligence, computer graphics, and other highly specialized engineering fields) and on top of merely being functional, they also need to deliver positive emotional experiences for users (like fun for example), which will likely require significant iteration and redesign as the project goes on.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of games come out. There isn't really a need to crunch. Hopefully it stops. So games take another 6 months-1 year. Who cares.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
They said a delay will reduce stress on the team. Everything we are hearing is the opposite of that.

The stress could have been more extreme for a shorter amount of time if they didnt delay. You also have to consider if this was planned or if they attempted to ease crunch and its failed before you call it a lie imo. The only thing clear to me was the delay was more about keeping to the vision of the game then anything else which they did mention.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Obviously I'm going to buy the game regardless but it's always sad to hear your favourite developers running their staff into the ground.

As always this 'we don't force people to crunch' is just bullshit. If they wanted to they could easily put a lock on the door on Friday and say 'No-one comes in to work until Monday'.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So what do you do then? Vote with your wallet and don't buy the game or buy the game to support the developers?
If it doesn't sell well initially they could just as easily turn it around on everyone; "you didn't crunch hard enough"

Nintendo had the right idea, delay Animal Crossing to avoid this. Games can wait, people's lives need protection from bad work conditions