• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's amazing to me looking at some of the responses and takes on other careers as well that it further enforces the fact that technology was supposed to be a means to make jobs easier to do and more efficient, but with social media and the "immediacy" of delivery it's only resulted in a culture that expects 150% of work to be done in 50% of the time 100% of the time.

The fact that other industries "do it too" shouldn't be a factor in stating that it's stupid that the structure is built this way, but that's the joke of the "competitive free market" I guess. "I work more so my boss makes more money off me and I can make a little more money than the other guy I'm telling off, even though I'll never have a C or V title." It's just a shame to watch technology breed a world where you're just expected to be working...all the fucking time.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder they crunch like hell and their culture is like this when their policy is basically "everyone is their own producer". That may work for a 12-person indie team, but not when you're a behemoth like ND. That's just hilariously bad project management.

The turnover is insane too. The piece mentions that they hired a ton of contracters to just throw bodies at the problem. I really hope they realize this won't keep working.

The final 'graf is depressing too. Devs hoping the game fails so that management realizes they can't keep running the studio into the ground like this. I recall Bioware employees saying the same thing about Inquisition and its hellish development. Awful stuff.

Anyway game devs should unionize.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't blame the workforce or even gamers on this. This is 100% on management. They just have to force devs to leave at 5. The "they can leave if they want" is some next level hypocrisy they should be ashamed of.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Its the culure. It doesn't have to be said, its expect that you will crunch and work 12-14 hour days or people will side eye you. And if you want to move up in the company, you sure as shit better crunch or that will never happen. A union would not allow it without it being collectively bargained for in negotiation.

This. This. This.

You literally have to be the last one to leave the office for any kind of career progression. That's why unionization is so important.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
If developers/publishers are so insistent on having these games worked on around the clock, the simple solution is to have a day shift and a night shift. Employees would work sane 8-hour days and publishers would have their games worked on for 16 hours a day.

Oh wait, that would mean hiring more people instead of taking advantage of salaried employees working unpaid overtime. Forget I said anything.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a difficult situation. Sony leadership don't put pressure on studio employees and are generally relaxed. They've delayed games when the products weren't ready (GoW, TLOUptII, Ghost, Dreams etc). Some studios just have an unspoken culture of crunch. I see it myself in a different field - education. We ARE unionised, heavily so, but most of my colleagues and I work 60hour+ weeks even though we are paid for 40. That pressure doesn't come from leadership.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Construction does this a lot. Sure this is a gaming forum and I can understand the concerns but imo this is sorta normal. So this type of outrage is just shrug to me.

I mean 12 hour shifts is rough shit though, the ugliest.

I work in construction and i have to agree here. Still terrible in any laboral space, but what can i say to you... that's what the world is. And i dont know if not buying the game is the solution, because for the higher ups, the reason of the underdeliver will never be "people are protesting for your crunch", the answer will be "the game was not that good in the end"

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Naughty dog hiring devs that are workaholics and it also doesn't look like it is being forced on devs but this whole situation seems bad. I honestly don't know what the solution is but there has to be a better way right?
Honestly them sounding workaholics sounds like their being super scummy, and taking advantage of people who like to spent more time working, and basically burn them out and repeat with someone else.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The fact that they actively seek workaholics is sickening. Hopefully things will get better over there soon, for the sake of everyone's health.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Construction does this a lot. Sure this is a gaming forum and I can understand the concerns but imo this is sorta normal. So this type of outrage is just shrug to me.

I mean 12 hour shifts is rough shit though, the ugliest.

Construction doesn't crunch for extended massive periods of time. Like you're not gonna see 12 hour shifts for 3 months straight.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there's a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn't the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn't necessary, that maybe the project isn't worth losing all of these people.

What a kicker. If you want your hard work to fail to make a statement, then just how fucked up is the communication out there.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the "voluntary crunch" issue, a lot of people are missing one of the key parts of the article:

Kotaku said:
Many development studios try to solve problems like these with a production department—the part of the team dedicated to organization, logistics, and communication. It's a producer's job to keep track of what people are working on, coordinate across disciplines, and ensure that the whole team is staying on schedule. At Naughty Dog, there is no production department. Over time, the company has hired a couple of producers to help with scheduling and other tasks, but the studio's philosophy has long been that everyone should act as their own producer.

On one hand, this can create an empowering, autonomous atmosphere, where designers and artists are free to add the little graphical flourishes that make Naughty Dog games unique. Nobody needs to deal with extra layers of bureaucracy if they want to, say, make sacks of grain deflate when you shoot them. On the other hand, nobody is there to keep the developers of The Last of Us II communicating or stop them from changing things for the sake of change. And nobody's going to tell anyone to stop staying at work all night.

Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves (especially when your hiring process selects for perfectionist workaholics). At Naughty Dog, there isn't a job for that role.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.
Twelve hours is that bad. Just like anything over eight.
Could they hire more staff but lower pay. This will allow for less working hours and it's more comfortable lifestyle but you do have to take a less pay because you're not putting as much hours as someone who can work 12-hour shifts a day? Don't rag on me but I'm just thinking of any type of solution we can come with the game industry.
That would only devalue work, and game devs already don't get paid as much as they should. It's a cultural and management problem.
It's just sad to see developers not enjoy the process of creation, it's almost like they are trying 110% too hard to make a game that can get as high of a metascore as possible without really knowing what they want.

They didn't make Uncharted or The Last of Us just to get GOTY or 95 Metascore, they did it because they are inspired to create new, exciting adventures.

Ever wonder why Lost Legacy is so much better than Uncharted 4? Because it was truly inspired. It's not an Uncharted 5 or something overly ambitious, it's just a unique project that the team really feel like trying, and it end up being really good cause there's no huge pressure or expectation to mess up with the creative vision. They are enjoying their time with the project and it shows.

Look at Doom Eternal, the devs are literally geeking out over their game, talking about how it absolutely blows Doom 2016 away and how they are literally making excuses to go to the office just so they can play the game. The creative director even talks about how he is playing Sekiro and it's like his favorite game ever. The whole team is just having a total blast. Even the engine tech guy is like ''1000 FPS son'' cause he is just so excited about the tech in their new engine. It's awesome. It's like a team of passionate nerds.
Key thing here: having fun doesn't mean they're not crunching and essentially burning out.
No, I'm not saying those people all took the job for the resume boost. But it doesn't seem like a massive stretch to me that someone would figure "let's just see the project through, and then leave". Obiously that's not all of them, but this doesn't seem like some far fetched scenario to me lol.
There's also a very good chance of them not being included in the credits if they leave before release, or lose bonuses. It has happened before.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The type of people Naughty Dog wants to hire are the type of people who will willingly stay late at the office in order to make their games better—the type of people who would take the time to make sacks of grain deflate when you shoot them.

So that's the secret of maintaining the crunch culture there.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Delay it again and again and again until Management can pick a reasonable date.
Just delaying the game does not address the root cause of the issue.

This is issue needs a top to bottom change of culture and commitment from management all the way up to the heads of Playstation / Sony. It's likely too late to make things better for the TLOU2, but they can commit to change and institute new work practices and culture improvements for their future projects - this is what I hope occurs.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this such a chronic issue? How is game development so different in terms of project management that proper timing can't be planned ahead?
Spoiler alert: it's not different. Their is crunch in every creative profession where billions are at stake. You hear about gaming because.....well...your on resetera.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to read really, and I am a fan of ND's work, but this cannot stand. I am working on projects that also sometimes take years and hundreds of people to float, and understand how it can devolve into this situation without anyone having a solid intention to do so. I am not familiar enough with game development to understand how they can avoid it, but I am sure the « passion » that drives a lot of them makes it even harder because it's self-imposed (with a context of in-direct pressure that doesn't help).

I wonder if there are great examples of AAA devs Studios with a great balance?

I've heard good things about R@D

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people arguing that this may not be the worst case of crunch out there, or that it's similar in other industries?
That doesn't make it okay - it means things are just as bad for them too. It's a significant problem that is not exclusive to games.

Seems like the devs are doing it to themselves:
They are pressured to do it - whether that is directly or indirectly.
The studio shouldn't be enabling this. They shouldn't allow people to work this kind of overtime. This is a failure of management.

But those games would require 10-12 years to make...
Scale up the workforce or scale down the games.
Forcing this kind of extended crunch is not an acceptable solution.

Things will get even worse with more powerful consoles and higher expectations from gamers.
This is part of why I want to see a push for lower fidelity games that are smaller in scope and target high frame rates - to limit what can be done.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly this one of the industries top problems that they need to solve. 70% of your staff leaving is way too huge a number. I mean those people worked at ND, they at least have to be good at their jobs right? Thats a big loss of talent + now you have to educate all the new hires on how things work at the studio.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog can do better. The entire industry can do much better.

This is a top-down management and executive decision. There have been examples of team leads making people go home, essentially saying "Screw the culture." It's what needs to happen more often.

Unfortunately, consumers won't force developers to make this change any time soon. We prioritize the arms race of graphical fidelity and mountains of content too highly.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I knew some people left in the past year at ND, but i didn't realize it was 70%. That's quite a bit.

I don't really know what to think. From what i gather, It seems like the people working there enjoy what they're doing so they don't mind the crunch. However, i'm pretty sure there might be people working there that probably don't enjoy the crunch, but they kinda have to do it since the others are doing it and it might make them look bad if they don't crunch like the others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Interesting article Jason. Sounds like Naughty Dog can be both a fantastic and horrific place to work.

What resonated with me most though is how the studio doesn't "force" employees to work evenings/weekends - it's all voluntary by the developers and therefore clearly part of the culture of the company.

Something clearly has to change in the future as it can't continue - it destroys health and relationships. But where does it come from? Does Naughty Dog say that nobody can work weekends or evenings? What about the people who want to come in and make the game the best it can be. It's a difficult situation.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Naughty Dogs next self congratulatory attempt when shipping a game would be to place Joel in this movie instead:

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the reality of things, everyone wants their high production AAA game in a timely manner. Obviously they could extend the development process to four years, which also means time equals money.

Everybody's expectation is that Naughty Dog will create two games per generation console(aka every two years). Every time there's an increasing hardware for the consoles that means that there's more increase development time on AAA console games. This is a hard one to resolve in the long run.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Delaying the game = spending money = less profit margin. Not going to happen. Crunch is sadly just an expected and accepted part of game development. After personally going through it, I've dropped whatever hopes and dreams I have of working in games.

If you really don't want to support the developer, buy the game used.

Corporate might be a boring slog, but the better pay and work life balance is worth it.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
"There's a lot of pushing your current workload aside to meet these real-time demands that come across your desk," said one Naughty Dog developer. "Do this thing you weren't planning for, that other thing you weren't planning for, plus what you were planning for."

On The Last of Us II, this became a never-ending cycle. "You feel obligated to be there later, because everyone else is there later," said one former developer. "If an animation needed to be put in and you weren't there to help the animator, you're now blocking the animator, and they may give you grief. It may not even be spoken—it may just be a look. 'Man, you totally screwed me last night by not being here at 11 p.m.'"
But it's not mandated. It really means jack shit if this kind of culture gets fostered through peer pressure instead and no one being there telling people to go the fuck home. Also pretty shocking to read that ND doesn't have a traditional producer department.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
"be your own producer!" sounds great but it means there's no guard rails to keep people from harming themselves. that shit should be stopped asap.

Oct 28, 2017
i mean, what can you do if a big part of it is a culture thing at ND? they really need to get together and figure something out after they ship TLOU2, from what i gather sony has been giving them the time they need if it needs to be delayed they delay it though i also understand the extra pressure launching a new console brings as well meeting expectations or goals set by sony and themselves

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Also this article implies ND has been crunching almost non-stop from the end of 2018. That means by the time the game is out they will have crunched for 1.5 years...

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 70% number is specifically the people with the task of 'designer', as the article says it's 14 of 20 people in that area. Not 70% of all developers there.

(Still wild and unacceptable though!)

Nov 2, 2018
I saw some petty furious people on the internet that Media Molecule took 7 years to release Dreams. People who were of the opinion that they wanted the game, were excited for it, but it took too long so no thanks.

I understand thankfully not everyone feels that way, but that petty sentiment was shared a lot, to the point that some people were gleefully hopeful the game would fail.

Don't know what my point is really. Some gamers are assholes and shame on you if you felt this way. I have massive respect for the people that make these sacrifices and I hope somehow it can be gotten under control.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

4dc.gif

A shame a lot of studios still do this...

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Sexist Trolling
Isn't this the same outlet that blasted Escape from Tarkov developers to do additional work to add female characters to the game?

Lol be better jschreier