• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier said:
These days, veteran Naughty Dog employees describe the design department as a sea of unfamiliar faces. With 70 percent of the non-lead designers and a significant number of artists who worked on Uncharted 4 now gone, the company has had to fill those roles with less experienced staff, many of whom hadn't worked on Naughty Dog games before The Last of Us II.
Jason Schreier said:
On The Last of Us II, new artists working with new designers found themselves baffled as to how to hit the standards that Naughty Dog expected, a problem exacerbated by a management culture in which feedback is usually negative. (One of the studio's unwritten maxims is that if you don't hear anything, you're doing well.) "It's been a little bit of the blind leading the blind as we go in circles and find our way," said one developer.
Well that's really concerning

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Hey jschreier is there a reason why Kotaku refuses to cover Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's use slave labor? I thought you of all people would be the first to talk about it, considering how much time and effort you spend talking about crunch culture.

I'd tag you in the original thread, but many posters already have and you don't seem to be bothered to respond.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the whole thing, and...

Yet there are also those developers, some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there's a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn't the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn't necessary, that maybe the project isn't worth losing all of these people. That perhaps, no matter how many Game of the Year nominations they win or how high their Metacritic scores climb, all the individual hairs on Joel's eyebrows or the grains of sand in a burlap sack just aren't worth the cost.
This is damning.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Jason confuses people.

kotaku.com

Video Game Delays Cause More Crunch

These days, most video game fans are sympathetic to delays. They recognize that more time makes for better games, and that game development is too complicated for anyone to accurately predict release dates very far in advance. So after a string of high-profile delays this week, including the...
He isn't contradicting. He said it back then thay delays don't stop crunch. He is just saying here how the crunch is.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I would say: "Delay it, give the dev's more time" but that seems to only end in more crunch.

It feels kinda of obvious.
If you're crunching already because you're behind schedule, you're not likely to slow down because of the delay.

If you make the intent to delay to reduce crunching that could make a difference, but if you're going to do that to avoid crunching, you probably weren't crunching in the first place.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sony literally adjusted down their forecast by hundreds of millions (revenue and operating profit) due in part to TLOU Part II delay to Q1 of the next fiscal year.

If they are crunching problems at Naughty Dog, that's mostly a Naughty Dog problem. Not because Sony was willing to delay the game by 3 months...
Regardless, they are crunching right now even with the delay. Another delay means more crunch.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
"At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team."

blog.us.playstation.com

The Last of Us Part II Comes to PS4 in May June 19

An update from the game's director.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I feel like, just for their own sanity, Naughty Dog needs to take a step back with their next game. Make something lighter. A new Jak game or something.

Part of the crunch is obviously studio culture that ND needs to work on, but a big part is that they're stuck in a loop where every new Naughty Dog game has to be the BEST MOST GROUNDBREAKING GAME EVER, or it's not worth putting out. Rockstar is stuck in the same loop. If you're stuck in that mindset, no extra development time is going to help, because you're going to still kill yourself trying to perfect everything.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the devs are doing it to themselves:

"That's one of the reasons crunch always happens here," said one developer. "People are given the freedom to keep working longer, to push the envelope of what they are working on, to make things just 10 percent better. It's what the studio looks for when hiring people. They are looking for people with that drive to actually put in those extra hours, for better or worse."

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is terrible, it sucks that they are in this situation where the expectations out of Naughty Dog are just so high that they need to go through this each time and only worse every time.

Only reasonable way that I can see for them to fix this is to make a game which requires less of an attention to detail with a less realistic style. But even then the expectation out of them after making uncharted and TLOU for 13 years is extreme realism, so I dont think people will accept that either.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.
I think the only one who needs perspective might be you

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The comments on that tweet actually defending crunch or asking why we should care 😬

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Evan Wells and Neil Druckmann's (and even Scott Rohde's + Hermen Hulst's) job to finally change this.
Shit sounds awful.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The developers there are voluntarily working crunch though? Like what does a union even solve here? The piece mentions how nobody asks anyone to work nights or weekends... they just do it anyway.
I imagine it works the same as jobs I've had in which I needed to work overtime. They don't force anyone, but if you're staying at the company and want to stay there/get promoted, you're going to do it. It's a lot of pressure. At my last job, I just always refused because I hated it and planned to quit, but many others worked extra hours with smiles on their faces. I also assume at this big game devs, the pressure is 10x that which I've experienced.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Jason confuses people.

kotaku.com

Video Game Delays Cause More Crunch

These days, most video game fans are sympathetic to delays. They recognize that more time makes for better games, and that game development is too complicated for anyone to accurately predict release dates very far in advance. So after a string of high-profile delays this week, including the...

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey jschreier is there a reason why Kotaku refuses to cover Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's use slave labor? I thought you of all people would be the first to talk about it, considering how much time and effort you spend talking about crunch culture.

I'd tag you in the original thread, but many posters already have and you don't seem to be bothered to respond.
I get a lot of tags. Hadn't seen that but will certainly look now.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
" On May 29, The Last of Us Part II will come out. Those who have worked on it tell me they believe it will be phenomenal, another shining entry in Naughty Dog's quest for excellence at all costs. Some say they think it's the best game Naughty Dog has ever made. "

There are also parts like this

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like, just for their own sanity, Naughty Dog needs to take a step back with their next game. Make something lighter. A new Jak game or something.

Part of the crunch is obviously studio culture that ND needs to work on, but a big part is that they're stuck in a loop where every new Naughty Dog game has to be the BEST MOST GROUNDBREAKING GAME EVER, or it's not worth putting out. Rockstar is stuck in the same loop. If you're stuck in that mindset, no extra development time is going to help, because you're going to still kill yourself trying to perfect everything.
They look at the insane sale of tlou1 and that's why. A new jak game isn't going to push those sales to them. Especially in 2020 when 3d plats aren't near the sane hype culture.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Well the game is going to sell amazingly (to most in this forum too) and nothing will change because of that.

They should, but they won't.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Unionize or bust.

maxresdefault.jpg
My thoughts exactly.

Oct 30, 2017

Because controversy concerning an upcoming AAA release generates more clicks than other stories.

Nov 2, 2017
Naughty dog hiring devs that are workaholics and it also doesn't look like it is being forced on devs but this whole situation seems bad. I honestly don't know what the solution is but there has to be a better way right?
Did you even read the article?
Yet there are also those developers, some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there's a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn't the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn't necessary, that maybe the project isn't worth losing all of these people. That perhaps, no matter how many Game of the Year nominations they win or how high their Metacritic scores climb, all the individual hairs on Joel's eyebrows or the grains of sand in a burlap sack just aren't worth the cost.
When you want your own work to fail then you're clearly not a workaholic. Also the part where everyone jumped ship after UC4 launched.

Crunch is almost never really forced in the hard sense. It's usually always through company culture & social pressure that employees get pressured in crunching even if they don't really want to. I mean when you start somewhere and every one of your colleagues works 4 hours more than what they should work then that's also what you're going to do. If you don't then you probably won't be working there for very long.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
They look at the insane sale of tlou1 and that's why. A new jak game isn't going to push those sales to them. Especially in 2020 when 3d plats aren't near the sane hype culture.

I really don't think it's a sales thing with ND -- I think they're very caught up in their reputation and trying to top themselves creatively. A new Jak game would sell just fine. The Crash remakes did great.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
That's not really the case. There's always top-down pressure to do so. That quote could have come from any of us devs when I worked at EA, and maybe those who say such things believe them to be true. But we crunched for weeks, months, a year (and worked long hours even out of crunch) because of tacit pressure from above. Nobody needed to mandate long hours, because it was understood. And you convince yourself that's just the kind of worker you are.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.
Extended long hours of work is a problem in many industries, yes. But this is a gaming forum, so the discussion here is about gaming studios.

My wife is at one of the big accounting firms, and yes, they go through some terrible working hours at various points of the year (particularly when you are early in your career). That is the biggest reason why so many employees choose to leave to industry jobs where they can often make more money (in the short term) for a much better work/life balance.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Basically this:
Crunch is almost never really forced in the hard sense. It's usually always through company culture & social pressure that employees get pressured in crunching even if they don't really want to. I mean when you start somewhere and every one of your colleagues works 4 hours more than what they should work then that's also what you're going to do. If you don't then you probably won't be working there for very long.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Managers and team leaders are supposed to take care of the people under them and make them stop working if necessary. Managers should care about the work-life balance of their employees to create a good and healthy studio culture.

Nov 18, 2017
It feels like every story coming out about Naughty Dog paints it as a terrible place to work. every story is either internal drama or crunch....no thank you.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for unionizing but this isn't helping when the developers themselves are the ones pushing these long ours.

Not sony or naughty dog are demanding long hours. Even Amy Henning said so and she has no reason to lie for them.

Publishers and Studio Heads would have to send people home after 8 hour days but how is that realistic in any way or form?

Of course, Sony and ND say nothing, they have workers burning themselves out.

I work in a similar industry and unless you've been asked everyone leaves at 6.00pm latest 6.30.

Sometimes staying 2 extra hours is inevitable but constant 12 hr days and weekends as well.

Outrageous.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I think there are so many unwritten stories about crunch at some studios. So many. But I think ND's one doesn't sound not very bad. It could be way much worse. R*'s story was much worse. But I really hope this will improve

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
70% turnover?! They're lucky they're Naughty Dog and have an unsuspecting stream of devs wanting to work there all the time

Problem is that game industry have this stream of devs wanting to work. That is one thing that enables this, because they have this huge pool of workers they can just pull new people to work with project.

Also i think crunching is problem in many other industries that have big deadlines and there is lots of money on table. Like visual effects for movies.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Something is gonna have to change. They make amazing games but they need to find a way to achieve their vision without crunch. Is this mostly a ND thing specifically with Sony's first party studios? I don't seem to hear about crunch from their other studios outside of sometimes SSM. If it means one game per gen then I'm fine with that. Put health first.