• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shit is crazy, a turnover rate like that is just not sustainable. Basic empathy and decency alone should warrant major changes for the good of the employees, but purely from a financial and business viewpoint you're just putting your business in jeopardy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they are saving lives with this work. It's entertainment, that's it. Stop making your workers lives miserable, ffs.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
The developers there are voluntarily working crunch though? Like what does a union even solve here? The piece mentions how nobody asks anyone to work nights or weekends... they just do it anyway.
"Voluntarily". Of course they can't force them to work, but the implications are clear that it is required. It requires changes from the top in order to make a culture change like this.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The developers there are voluntarily working crunch though? Like what does a union even solve here? The piece mentions how nobody asks anyone to work nights or weekends... they just do it anyway.

No they don't "just do it anyway" they do it because company culture dictates it even without a specific written or verbal mandate. Union rules would prevent this.

Implication.gif

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
It'll be gone when better labor laws are enacted.

Game developers will have to think twice about crunching if it means having to pay a lot of OT to their workers.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is modern slavery and the game will receive a lot of awards and being used as comparison to other games.
And we let that happened. As we, I don't only means consumers, we didn't asked for this, don't let them convinced you this is our fault.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the problem: to the people concerned with money, a delay is really expensive, crunch is far less so. On a AAA game like this, a delay can cost millions in development costs, but those people are working on salary, so 12 hour days just cost the company an extra meal and maybe a few employees they have to replace who leave because of the crunch.

Then you come to the workers themselves, the people actually working those 12 hour shifts. They want to make the best game they can, and know that if they don't put in the time, the game will ship in a worse state, because it has the set milestone schedule. So many of them feel that they need to work the hours, even if it isn't required by management.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

oh... well what happened to the days of when developers like Blizzard for example would say something to the effect of "it'll be done when it's done" and just leave it open ended? Announce the release date when the game is at a point where it can comfortably release without putting a strain on the dev team. Big budget franchises like The Last of Us and God of War etc sell a gazillion copies. They will make their money in the end..

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yet there are also those developers, some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there's a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn't the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn't necessary, that maybe the project isn't worth losing all of these people. That perhaps, no matter how many Game of the Year nominations they win or how high their Metacritic scores climb, all the individual hairs on Joel's eyebrows or the grains of sand in a burlap sack just aren't worth the cost.

Wow.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Seems many of you need to read the article.

And ND states they look for 'perfectionists' aka people who will 'happily' stay until 11pm

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope game development gets a lot better in the next generation, the insane crunch is unsustainable. It'll come to a head at some point and either ND and other developers and publishers get proactive or their games will suffer. Nevermind the very real and human cost.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty dog hiring devs that are workaholics and it also doesn't look like it is being forced on devs but this whole situation seems bad. I honestly don't know what the solution is but there has to be a better way right?

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
"Yet there are also those developers, some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there's a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn't the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn't necessary, that maybe the project isn't worth losing all of these people."

Jesus. Hopefully the situation improves.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Sure they don't ask you to crunch but when you're the one that doesn't do the time like the rest, who do you think isn't getting picked to work on the next project. People work their asses off to keep their job/promotions but most of the time burn themselves out.

I would hate to work in this field.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine game development will get any easier with PS5/Series X. Hopefully next-gen will last up to 10 years so that they have time to make games.

This gen will have lasted 7 years and Naughty Dog only released two $60 retail games.

Crunch almost seems inevitable for the kind of games ND makes

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is what gets me the most. Almost any work I ever did wanted people that stay at the company for a long ass time so they don't "waste" time in teaching you their inner workings etc.

Like how can an industry see this is kinda be like "this is fine" in instances just as this? I mean they aren't stupid, they must realize that this isn't feasible longterm this way.
Yep, its basically burning your future because you want the now. It is not even efficient as prolonged crunch has been systematically shown to be less efficient than normal work. They just take advantage of being the cool profession to burn through people without caring about the long term effects both in the studio culture and in the knowledge know-how.
The entirety of management in big studios needs to be taught proper software management techniques because they fucking dont understand anything about it.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
It is absolutely possible to make (even successful!) games without the kind of crunch that companies like Rockstar or ND allegedly put their employees through.
This is what confuses me, they delay the game but still crunch? How much of a delay would this game need to ensure it is up to ND's own standards and that NO crunch is happening? 1 year? 2? Is the industry inherrently flawed with the need for quicker turnarounds than healthy game development time will allow?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No they don't "just do it anyway" they do it because company culture dictates it even without a specific written or verbal mandate. Union rules would prevent this.
This is true, people really forget what is indirect pressure. This is weird because this is what shape our life, mostly by society.
About union, this is partially true. We have big Union and big worker right in France (saddly, it tends to be weakened by politics), and the last devs who fight for their rights loses their jobs. I think they will go to trial about it but still. And I don't know if their professional reputation were impacted.

Oct 27, 2017
70% turnover?! They're lucky they're Naughty Dog and have an unsuspecting stream of devs wanting to work there all the time

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why Jason confuses people.

kotaku.com

Video Game Delays Cause More Crunch

These days, most video game fans are sympathetic to delays. They recognize that more time makes for better games, and that game development is too complicated for anyone to accurately predict release dates very far in advance. So after a string of high-profile delays this week, including the...

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for unionizing but this isn't helping when the developers themselves are the ones pushing these long ours.

Not sony or naughty dog are demanding long hours. Even Amy Henning said so and she has no reason to lie for them.

Publishers and Studio Heads would have to send people home after 8 hour days but how is that realistic in any way or form?

Oct 29, 2017
Anything more than a month or so of 12 hour days at the end of a project is inhumane. Worked them for two years and it crushes your soul

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Wait, people are outraged because of 12 hour days? 12 hour days is not unusual for MANY professional workers out there. That doesn't mean it's good, but some people need some perspective here. When there are deadlines in any industry, there is crunch. 12 hour days is not THAT bad. Or that unusual and definitely not unique to video game developers. It 100% sucks that this is a reality, but it is and people can and do change jobs if this lifestyle isn't for them.
Why would you even make this post lol

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Hopefully with AI and Deep Learning, AAA game development can become more efficient and cost effective for studios to make. As for hoping for crunch culture to change, I'm afraid it's going to take a long time yet.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
If that were the case, ND wouldn't be crunching like mad right now.
Sony literally adjusted down their forecast by hundreds of millions (revenue and operating profit) due in part to TLOU Part II delay to Q1 of the next fiscal year.

If they are crunching problems at Naughty Dog, that's mostly a Naughty Dog problem. Not because Sony was willing to delay the game by 3 months...