• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Doesn't a decline in productivity kinda snowball at those hours? I would think after a certain point the whole push for overtime becomes self-defeating...

ah shit, we need more time, extend the hours

ah shit, they're tired from working overtime, that means we need to extend the hours

ah shit, they're tired from-

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't a decline in productivity kinda snowball at those hours? I would think after a certain point the whole push for overtime becomes self-defeating...

ah shit, they're tired from working overtime, that means we need to extend the hours

The decline in productivity starts before the end of an 8 hour day let alone a 14 hour one AFAIK.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Poland is in the EU so doesn't the working time directive apply? It means each individual would need to sign away their right to work more than 48 hours/week AFAIK.

But if it is bad as reported they need to band together and come out in public. CDPR also seem to have some higher profile employees there....Have any of these ever expressed any concerns about working conditions?
From a former CDP dev:

Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_15.38.01.png

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
As a dev, been there and it is fucking awful for everyone involved. Nearly killed me and I'm not doing that shit again.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They do. Most people last 5, 10 years at best in the industry before getting burnt out and leaving. Losing staff like this doesn't matter if you've got a large supply of new people to bring in.
Sure, but I mean bringing that down to even base levels of employees too. Let them know that they can earn more not do deathmarches.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Did it say anywhere that they would be let go if they refused to work 100 hour weeks? You have absolutely no idea of the inner workings of that company. It's much easier to follow the masses and dogpile on the company, I get it. The gang mentality on this forum can be sickening.

It's not like you're chained to this message board. If you don't like it, just find another one, right?

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question : if there was this amount of work needed to be done, why did they give the november date, and insisted the game was gold etc before ?

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
I routinely work 70-80 hours a week. If I don't want to do it anymore I do have the option of quitting and/or finding a new job. You act like they're chained to their desks.
Lol tf is this? Sometimes a company can put you in a position to where they fundamentally change your role or hours, and not everyone is in a position to quit at a whims notice. Not chained to their desks obviously but the prospect of finding a new job during a pandemic is daunting. This is pretty much like telling people to leave their country for complaining lol.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how people do it. I know a few people who have done 100 hr weeks for multiple year straights. No relationships, out of touch in pop culture, blood running hot, etc. Ton of investment bankers at goldman, JPM, etc. IDGAF how much you pay me. Fuck that noise.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
14 hour days no days off yeah sounds fine. Can't think of any adverse health risks associated with this.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Poland is in the EU so doesn't the working time directive apply? It means each individual would need to sign away their right to work more than 48 hours/week AFAIK.

But if it is bad as reported they need to band together and come out in public. CDPR also seem to have some higher profile employees there....Have any of these ever expressed any concerns about working conditions?
In my experience, plenty of people like it there, and even more people like everything there except for the crunch (which is a common sentiment at crunch-culture-dominated game studios).

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Productivity falls off before the end of a standard 8 hour shift.

On a 12 hour you're going deep into autopilot and creative industries are literally paying people to become output zombies by that point alone.

100 hour weeks will just string out productivity but doesn't actually achieve markedly more output because people simply aren't capable of doing it. Studies have proven this time and time again but the myth of "putting the hours in" prevails when bosses assume that working long means working more.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Wow, those employees sure are "passionate." /s
I'm sure none of them feel pressured to work this unhealthy crunch.
I hope they get free snacks.
F CDPR.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think anyone could beat me in overtime.......................holy shit, and they just extended that for another 3 weeks and then some.

Yes..........they really need a union for gaming development insanely bad.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I knew a guy that was working ~120 hour work weeks for several consecutive weeks, granted some of that time was spent driving 3 hours north and back but still.

He was about 30 years old and he claims it almost killed him.

I've gone on record of saying crunch is okay so long as its paid and optional but assuming this is true, it is not okay.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
So growing up my family was really poor, after I turned 18 and was able to work I was going to school full time and working MULTIPLE jobs. I maybe got 3 hours of sleep a night and spent about 2 not sleeping or working. I was away from home over 100 hours a week. I was the most depressed and unhappy I had ever been in my life, but I had to do it to keep my family above water and help, I did that willingly and it was torture, to the point I would never want to see my worst enemies go through the same.

Being FORCED to do that or be unemployed is fucking disgusting and indefensible.

Regardless of I work somewhat similar hours they should just deal with it, or whatever argument you may want to throw out.

No game, no movie, no (insert whatever the fuck you want here) is worth that person's mental and physical well being.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question : if there was this amount of work needed to be done, why did they give the november date, and insisted the game was gold etc before ?

Because they thought they could grind their workers to the bone to get a day 1 patch ready. But apparently this game is so mismanaged that not even 100 hour work weeks to get it done.

Bloxx Chain

Mar 19, 2018
Just to be clear, that's 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, from 9am to midnight (assuming an hour's break over that period for food, etc).

Insane.

I sometimes do 50 or 60 hours a week and doing 100 hours IS NOT THE SAME.
I can't even fathom this shit. I do about 45 a week, that's more than double. It's people that do what they love as a career and don't work this much.
I can't comprehend 🤯

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I routinely work 70-80 hours a week. If I don't want to do it anymore I do have the option of quitting and/or finding a new job. You act like they're chained to their desks.
Uggghh. What an idiotic statement.

Because it would be so easy to get a new job during a plague and recession.Wouldn't it?
Not to mention a person would need references, as well the entire industry have the same kind of reprehensible work practises.

EDIT: Ohh, you one of those accounts. NVM.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's something I know used to happen.... like around 2003.
Been a while I heard a dev clocked in that much.
I did a 77 hour week once as a dev tester. As an animator, never went close to that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
What are all of those clowns on Twitter saying today that we're previously bashing Jason?

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I don't know about them, but if I quit my job is not like I have other options right now.

Probably you should try quit your job and find another one that leave you some more time to yourself, maybe that way you could develop some empathy towards other people or something like that...

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Bruh, my boss bones me raw in the ass and I dont complain. Sometimes you just have to take one for the team 💪💪💪

/s

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild how silent influencers are right now on this issue.

Like radio silence, from my understanding.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Uggghh. What an idiotic statement.

Because it would be so easy to get a new job during a plague and recession.Wouldn't it?
Not to mention a person would need references, as well the entire industry have the same kind of reprehensible work practises.

EDIT: Ohh, you one of those accounts. NVM.
Imagine either believing in that nonsense or roleplaying as a corporate boot deepthroater on a gaming forum.

Why would that shock you?
Truthfully, it seems almost impossible to talk about CP77 without discussing what the devs are going through. Some content creators who I like are bringing it up, but they are not the ones who received those soft yellow chairs. It seems that the influencers are focusing more on the harassment developers are receiving from Gamers (which should get discussed and shamed), but won't touch the devs' working conditions.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it say anywhere that they would be let go if they refused to work 100 hour weeks? You have absolutely no idea of the inner workings of that company. It's much easier to follow the masses and dogpile on the company, I get it. The gang mentality on this forum can be sickening.
Yeah lets pretend like social pressure doesn't exist at all. They might not LEGALLY be able to require them to work that but you can be punitively punished for not stepping up. Next time promotions and raises come around? Oops. You got passed over. Time for some lay-offs in the company. Lets cut the people not loyal first. Breaking unspoken social rules in social settings can have implications for your career going forward. Quit acting daft.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Jason posted a response to that tweet too about how most of the dev team didn't even learn about the delay until the same time we did today. Imagine working these insane hours, all with your eyes set on the light at the end of the tunnel, just to have that pushed back another 3 weeks without even consulting you to see how feasible the new schedule is (I posted about this in reponse to the delay announcement tweet and got dogpiled by fanboys; in retrospect, I don't know what I was expecting).

I'm sure there's been many developers yelling internally for months that their schedule was never realistic, and now that they're right, management rewards their foresite with another stack of work and a ridiculous deadline. Transphobia and the irony of this company making a Cyberpunk game aside, it's just embarrassingly bad management skills. This same shit apparently happened on Witcher 3, and nobody learned anything - and management won't be punished in the slightest. It's so aggravating to see.

Cyberpunk looks like it has so much potential. It's right up my alley. But I just can't imagine pushing all of this frustration out of my mind enough to actually enjoy the game. It's such a huge bummer.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
It's wild how silent influencers are right now on this issue.

Like radio silence, from my understanding.

it's wild to see some Internet personalities still talking about their giant reviews, and calling this they're GOTY in response to the delay news today too.

This shits unacceptable. Never bought a CDPR game before this, and def won't be playing this either. This company is garbage.