• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
This is a disease in this industry and I have no idea how this gets fixed. Hell I don't think most people who play games are willing to accept what happens to games if it does get fixed.
Unfortunatly it's not just this industry it's every industry in every capitalist economy in the world. Most people that purchase any product don't give a second thought to the human sacrifice's made to make that product possible. If they do, they often don't care.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Jesus, they're going to kill their own game with all the bad publicity lately and all their bad decisions before it even releases.

Just imagine creating your magnus opus, one of the most anticipated games of all time and months to weeks before the final release, everything collapses like a house of cards and your solution of fixing it is trying to get another pack of cards and building it up faster than it can collapse.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cue all the tweets from CDPR shills turning a blind eye because they got a yellow chair.

Shit, I should have put influencers on the bingo card.

results

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has explained to me why they couldn't have just hired more devs instead of upping crunchtime. Especially in COVID times when everyone is remote, why isn't this a possibility?
Of course it's a possibility, but the reason it's not happening is because the people with all the power/money don't want to pay for it, because the people with all power/money want to continue to make more money. This is how capitalism works.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I routinely work 70-80 hours a week. If I don't want to do it anymore I do have the option of quitting and/or finding a new job. You act like they're chained to their desks.
The human body and mind is literally not designed to do 70-80 hour work weeks, let alone 100 hours. If you can do it fine, you are in a minority. Most people would find it horrible and succumb to the effects.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
lol "cApItaLisM"

as an engineer, capitalism works both ways- as the company paying for work, and as employees selling work to a company. The very much capitalist company I work for in a very much capitalist country would never even think about making us work 100 hour weeks because they actually want to retain staff; the gaming industry feels like it's run by amateurs sometimes with the shoddy project management we hear about that leads to these situations, there needs to be ways for game devs to simply just leave for other engineering, writing, content, art fields. Let game studios lose their staff for acting like a bunch of chumps.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's fucking crazy how badly people are programmed. You cannot even get the populace to agree on healthy working conditions for employees now? You got mfers that are sometimes on the underside of the boot, licking it anyway and chastising others for not joining in.

I know we call them boomers, but I legit hope they are. That disgusting "Corporations can do NO wrong" bullshit mentality needs to go, and the sooner the better. The supporters of this abusive shit aren't even mildly open minded either. That's the worst part. They are religiously devoted to this shit being okay. Completely unwilling to even entertain the idea that working people to the point of physical illness could somehow be a bad thing.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"I've worked 80 hours a week and I'm ok."
is arguing in favor of people working 100 hour weeks for a video game
Guess how I can tell you're not ok? Lol

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
Of course it's a possibility, but the reason it's not happening is because the people with all the power/money don't want to pay for it, because the people with all power/money want to continue to make more money. This is how capitalism works.

Adding more personal to a late project will only make it later. See "Brook's law"

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Nobody has explained to me why they couldn't have just hired more devs instead of upping crunchtime. Especially in COVID times when everyone is remote, why isn't this a possibility?

throwing more people at a task often ends up being counter-productive because it will need more management, coordination, personel costs, HR time, etc. Also; game-development is pretty niche and specific; you can't just grab "a developer" from somewhere and expect this person to be work-efficient within a year; especially if inhouse technology is involved. Not even mentioning that you have a lot of people working on very specific problems. And given the complexity of it all, it's hard to plan around potential roadblocks/issues down the road. It's simply not something you can easily parallelize.

Unless you become Ubisoft or Activision or EA and stick to your franchise-formulas and crank out similar looking & playing games ;P

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how this industry in general, and CD Projekt Red specifically, treats its workforce like horseshit, has clearly no idea how to plan ahead to avoid or at very least mitigate "crunch". Are people at least paid for these hundreds of hours? I have to assume so, this shit would be super illegal if not.

I really hope the EU can get some regulation in place to at least disallow shit like 100 hour work weeks. I'm not generally in favour of heavy handed regulation, but at some point this shit is putting people's heath at risk. And no one needs to get sick for fucking video games.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games industry needs a fucking union (not the GWU, fuck those people) so this shit can't happen.

As for you obsequious sycophants in this thread, defending their fav corp. You should be fucking embarrassed without yourselves. Though who am i kidding, you won't, as you have neither the self-respect nor self-awareness, that would be needed.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Because they would need to hire more people, guarantee at least some months of salaries for them (if they are intended to be short term temp employees) and it will cost more to the management. They probably want to have the work done while retaining as much money as possible.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, they're going to kill their own game with all the bad publicity lately and all their bad decisions before it even releases.

Just imagine creating your magnus opus, one of the most anticipated games of all time and months to weeks before the final release, everything collapses like a house of cards and your solution of fixing it is trying to get another pack of cards and building it up faster than it can collapse.
Never gunna happen.

They have been actively Transphobic, using blatant racial caricatures of PoC, and news of them mistreating Devs is nothing new.

Nothing they can do at this point will stop it from being a success as their fans have already assured it will be.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I worked a temporary gig for 12 days straight, 13-14 hours each day, which was pretty close to this 100 hour work week. It was fucking hell, and that was just a short term thing I did because I was desperate at the time. I can't imagine being under those kinds of conditions regularly like it's something expected of you. Pure greed and poor management, but you'll still have people trying to put it at the feet of the employees and absolve the shitty system.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
time is being wasted commuting and interacting with family and friends

qfc1mghxkj6pjsw2kpiy.png

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Openly trolling with inflammatory and insensitive drive-by.
Sweet. Imagine the overtime.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
lol "cApItaLisM"

as an engineer, capitalism works both ways- as the company paying for work, and as employees selling work to a company. The very much capitalist company I work for in a very much capitalist country would never even think about making us work 100 hour weeks because they actually want to retain staff; the gaming industry feels like it's run by amateurs sometimes with the shoddy project management we hear about that leads to these situations, there needs to be ways for game devs to simply just leave for other engineering, writing, content, art fields. Let game studios lose their staff for acting like a bunch of chumps.

There's a reason game developers tend to run on the younger end of the spectrum. It's volatile and often toxic. There are other avenues that are more stable and pay just as well using basically the same skillset.

Palgan

Dec 13, 2017
This discussion should not primarily be about companies but about the system we live and work in.

Remember that regardless of which device you're going to play this game on, it was probably manufactured under worse conditions. Whatever you're wearing while playing, it was most definitely made under worse conditions.

So fuck CDPR but they are not the problem. They just make visible what's happening to millions and millions of people around the world.

Oh, and to the people claiming that things have to be this way when working for deadlines:

no

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following the game but I thought the PS5/XSX versions were supposed to come out when the consoles launched before the delay

Are the next gen versions coming out after the initial release date and theyre hoping the backwards compatibility is enough?

The latest info I read from their official twitter is that backwards compatibility is the go-to until the next gen version "in the future"

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It takes months (and months) to find and hire people. Lots of people work on 3 month notice too. It takes forever!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd have thought it would be the only thing that would make it possible. It's the commute on top of everything else that would kill me.
As someone who WFH for years sadly that is not the case.

The combination of isolation that can build along side the very real fact of you never being away from the office, of having a space that is yours is very much a real issue when you WFH.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All this for a fucking videogame. People are forced to work absolute insane hours in the middle of a pandemic for a fucking videogame.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Poland is in the EU so doesn't the working time directive apply? It means each individual would need to sign away their right to work more than 48 hours/week AFAIK.

But if it is bad as reported they need to band together and come out in public. CDPR also seem to have some higher profile employees there....Have any of these ever expressed any concerns about working conditions?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that I've done a 92-hour work week back around January 2018. That's some whole other shit...

Surprisingly I don't remember it being as bad... compared to having to due 16 hrs per day for a few days. I think it solely has to do with the fact that I was disciplined enough to prioritize sleeping rather than messing around on here for an hour or so before going to bed.

There's no way that I have that same level commitment today. I remember after that week was finished, I questioned what I was doing with my life, lol.

In short, that's not something you want to regularly happen and I can't imagine doing 100 hours+ in a week. I can't literally work + sleep and have that be the only thing I do each day.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to probably log the same or more this week due to a once in a lifetime crisis from hell with work and I'm fucking burnt beyond belief.

Can't imagine this being the norm

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the blatant transphobia, could never catch me buying a game from this shitty company.