• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
They've done impressive amazing work and it's nice to see discussion about QA Testing ressources because it's such a massive aspect of game development that often gets ignored. Sounds like they had quite the undertaking to tackle and seemingly did a great job. Looking forward to trying out titles that still behaved terribly on XB1X like Fable 2

I look forward to seeing what else they can do in the future to further expand and enhance backwards compatibility offerings!

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I still don't understand why they need to licence all of this, just make the disk version work.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
all of the racing games with licensing issues... if they could figure something out to get all of those classics I'd cry

I would be very happy to see the OG Xbox version of Arx Fatalis!

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Hope that at least all the games available in the Xbox 360 marketplace gets the BC treatment there are some very interesting titles that are inexplicably unavailable yet like Bionic Commando Rearmed 1 or Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, also there are some great OG Xbox Microsoft exclusive titles were licensing shouldn't be an issue.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they need to licence all of this, just make the disk version work.
Games require to be installed to harddrive in order to play and Xbox uses a software emulator for BC Xbox 360/OG Xbox games, therefore digital games have to be uploaded to their servers individually wrapped with a finely tuned emulator and downloaded to your console which requires sorting out licensing/publishing deals to allow Xbox to do this.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Some licenses may also be time limited, platform specific, contain seperate license agreements for music or image content, contain clauses about original form, etc. It's an absolute minefield of an area and shouldn't be underestimated.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Now it's understandable why Sony isn't pushing for BC. It's hard work.

Except of course for PS2 and PS1 games. No excuse for that.

PS1 emulation maybe. PS2 emulation isn't easy - Sony's own emulation-only solution on the PS3 was spotty. Open source PS2 emulation of some titles is still a mess (like Jack and Daxte, for example). Even in-house emulation of Jack & Daxter is still a mess in the PS3/PS4 editions.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Games require to be installed to harddrive in order to play and Xbox uses a software emulator for BC Xbox 360/OG Xbox games, therefore digital games have to be uploaded to their servers individually wrapped with a finely tuned emulator and downloaded to your console which requires sorting out licensing/publishing deals to allow Xbox to do this.

The fact that a professional almost trillion dollar company can't create a brute force emulator which hobbyist coders can is incredibly concerning though. A generic software emulator would get around the need for that server distribution.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"We started on day one of the program. We've been working on the Xbox Series X and Series S since 2016. Before we even had silicon, we would take performance captures of existing games and run them on a simulator of the next-generation chip. That allowed us to identify potential issues in the silicon before it was even produced."

Holy shit.
They did it with X as well.

I guess it's one of the reasons why X was such an well designed console, it had the entire xbone catalog to profile its performance.

And going by the early showings SX is following the same path :)

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen games continously getting performance boosts with each generation that follows. Microsoft studio titles are going scale so well going forward.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that a professional almost trillion dollar company can't create a brute force emulator which hobbyist coders can is incredibly concerning though. A generic software emulator would get around the need for that server distribution.
C'mon Rogue Kiwi LOL

We've already been through this. There is nothing concerning, yet alone incredibly concerning about this and the BC team has done an amazing job so far.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They can. They decided not to because there's more value when the games are treated as equal and supporting all the features.

And I think they made the right call. On 360 BC was quickly forgotten by the users, on xbone by having the games properly integrated and with a native feel it became one of the most popular features of the console.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
360 and OG titles being difficult is not what I want to hear tbh. Still many more to add, if they can't add more at least enhance all current one to 4k.

Ecco45

Mar 19, 2018
Is there a list yet of 360 games that are getting performance boosts on XSX?

I think the only one MS has confirmed so far is Fallout 4 in that video they posted a few weeks ago.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can. They decided not to because there's more value when the games are treated as equal and supporting all the features.

And I think they made the right call. On 360 BC was quickly forgotten by the users, on xbone by having the games properly integrated and with a native feel it became one of the most popular features of the console.
Yeah, I remember reading or hearing in an interview they chose their BC solution because it allowed them the ability to do more with BC games than at best having the game look and play exactly the same as it did on original hardware.
360 and OG titles being difficult is not what I want to hear tbh. Still many more to add, if they can't add more at least enhance all current one to 4k.
It's unlikely they will ever have the ability to enhance all BC games to 4k. There's no magical switch that can do it.
Is there a list yet of 360 games that are getting performance boosts on XSX?

I think the only one MS has confirmed so far is Fallout 4 in that video they posted a few weeks ago.
The BC team have only given one example for increasing native resolution to 4k and one example for doubling the framerate on XSX and they've been both XB1 games: Gears Ultimate and Fallout 4, respectively.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic article, I've been so grateful for Xbox's focus on backwards compatibility.

My kingdom for NieR: Gestalt - I know Cavia is gone, but c'mon, Square!

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This. I feel the thread subject is a bit misleading as it's even about gamepass specifically and licensing.
www.resetera.com

Jason Ronald Inverse interview: BC testing took about 16-24 hours per title; had over 500 people testing; new 360/OG titles will be difficult

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/xbox-backward-compatibility-jason-ronald-interview?utm_campaign=inverse&utm_content=1604421942&utm_medium=owned&utm_source=twitter Had to cram the most interesting stuff in the title but here are some of the quotes in full.

Ecco45

Mar 19, 2018
The BC team have only given one example for increasing native resolution to 4k and one example for doubling the framerate on XSX and they've been both XB1 games: Gears Ultimate and Fallout 4, respectively.

My bad, I completely mistook Fallout 4 for a 360 game.

According to Polygon, the original Crackdown is running at 60fps on XSX, so we have 1 confirmed enhanced 360 game it seems.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
From Software and MS seem to have a good relationship, so why the hell is Otogi 1 & 2 not on BC yet? I'm hoping it's still coming. I don't see why that game would have any barriers, but I could be wrong. JSRF is always on ppls' list, but I can def see that having licensing issues out the wazoo with all that music and stuff. Still hoping for more OG Xbox games, that's really what I want the most. MS is unmatched with the way they've handled BC. So glad I went digital with them this gen. :)

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS1 emulation maybe. PS2 emulation isn't easy - Sony's own emulation-only solution on the PS3 was spotty. Open source PS2 emulation of some titles is still a mess (like Jack and Daxte, for example). Even in-house emulation of Jack & Daxter is still a mess in the PS3/PS4 editions.

Didn't the PS3's RSX has lower bandwidth than the PS2's GS? I thought that was the reason PS2 software emulation was tough to do on PS3. PS5 wouldn't have this problem right? Heck even PS4 shouldn't have this problem either.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Software and MS seem to have a good relationship, so why the hell is Otogi 1 & 2 not on BC yet? I'm hoping it's still coming. I don't see why that game would have any barriers, but I could be wrong. JSRF is always on ppls' list, but I can def see that having licensing issues out the wazoo with all that music and stuff. Still hoping for more OG Xbox games, that's really what I want the most. MS is unmatched with the way they've handled BC. So glad I went digital with them this gen. :)
A game not made BC yet doesn't necessarily mean it has licensing/publishing or technical issues. It could simply be they haven't had the time to get around to it yet.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
A game not made BC yet doesn't necessarily mean it has licensing/publishing or technical issues. It could simply be they haven't had the time to get around to it yet.
Yeah I know :). Just been wanting that for so long now and wanted to make sure I wasn't getting anything wrong in case someone here knew of some issue those games could possibly have.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know :). Just been wanting that for so long now and wanted to make sure I wasn't getting anything wrong in case someone here knew of some issue those games could possibly have.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Xbox 360 MS published/From Software developed Ninja Blade made BC.

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020
In Sept., I made a list of all the 360/OG Xbox games that weren't BC but were still being sold on the Xbox Marketplace that are highly unlikely to have any licensing/publishing issues and are highly likely to be among the first batch of games made BC if/when the BC program officially continues adding more 360/OG Xbox games to BC.

www.resetera.com

Games still being sold digitally on Xbox (360) marketplace

These games appear to have the least issues regarding publishing and/or licensing and should the BC team continue adding more Xbox 360/OG Xbox games to BC are the likely initial candidates except for titles that can only be played using Kinect. I will note if the game is an XBLA or OG Xbox as...

Wow! I'm impressed! Thanks for doing it!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If there comes a point that Microsoft is simply getting blocked from adding more games to the service due to licensing, I'd love to see them simply open up the X360 and OG Xbox emulators to any and all disc titles. Please let me play PGR, Mechassault, and others if I own the discs MS, that would be awesome.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
In Sept., I made a list of all the 360/OG Xbox games that weren't BC but were still being sold on the Xbox Marketplace that are highly unlikely to have any licensing/publishing issues and are highly likely to be among the first batch of games made BC if/when the BC program officially continues adding more 360/OG Xbox games to BC.

www.resetera.com

Games still being sold digitally on Xbox (360) marketplace

These games appear to have the least issues regarding publishing and/or licensing and should the BC team continue adding more Xbox 360/OG Xbox games to BC are the likely initial candidates except for titles that can only be played using Kinect. I will note if the game is an XBLA or OG Xbox as...
I wasn't expecting to see Burnout 3 and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex in this list.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
I would love so much to be able to play Castlevania: Curse of Darkness again. Please Microsoft. Please.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I said it before, but bless those souls. Had to be a serious grind burning away the hours testing games for BC.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
The thread title is misleading in regards to "new 360/OG titles will be difficult". It makes it sound like there will be no new 360/OG titles. When you read what he said, it just sounds like what they've always been saying about adding new BC titles-- some titles have licensing issues.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to trying out titles that still behaved terribly on XB1X like Fable 2
Oh no! Fable 2 also has issues?

I fired up Fable Anniversary on my X1X and the game had serious performance issues that were apparently brought on by some system update a while back. Ended up buying Anniversary on Steam and played it there instead. Been meaning to play Fable 2 after my Anniversary playthrough so this is a bummer to hear.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
After they hit this wall and can't add more titles, the next step should be to implement Xbox BC to Windows PCs.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's an absolutely massive investment for BC. 500 testers, plus specific BC developers, over the span of four years. It wouldn't surprise me if the investment was the equivalent of 2-3 new AAA titles, or a dozen or more indie budget titles.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hoping for the old DOA games like 3, 4, and Ultimate. Tecmo end of lifed DOA6 so it's not like they'll be competing with themselves. Take out the Aerosmith opening if MS doesn't want to lay out the cash for the license.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
So much for getting the OG Tennis games like Virtua Tennis and Top Spin......I mean it not like it's been a decade.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep hoping for the old DOA games like 3, 4, and Ultimate. Tecmo end of lifed DOA6 so it's not like they'll be competing with themselves. Take out the Aerosmith opening if MS doesn't want to lay out the cash for the license.
They devs unlikely can't take out any licensed material out of these old games running on what it thinks is OG Xbox/Xbox 360 hardware. Koei Tecmo likely could only do that is if they were porting the games to modern platforms.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's no doubt that they will continue adding more OG games to the program, they haven't even brought forward their entire XGS catalog yet. Not to mention that publishers such as Activision and Ubisoft have been supporters of the program and have several OG Xbox games that shouldn't have licensing problems

There's a tonne of Sega stuff that should have no licensing issues like Sega Soccer Slam.