• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck the ending knocks you out

amazing movie and mendes hits hit out of the park

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
And now to hit you back to the proper side of the fourm

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMmFiODE3OTItOTVjOS00YWViLTkzNzctZWYxMTc1NWE1NjY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched it, and yeah, that ending didn't go the way I had hoped it would.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
This was my first movie on a large screen in HD. I was amazed by the oil field scene.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I watched before I joined. Back then the movie made me uncomfortable.

After all that happened when I did join, not sure I could watch it because of how uncomfortable it'd make me for different reasons.

Looking back, it's a good movie.

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it ages ago when it was first released. Only thing I remember was the "latrine duty" scene. So disgusting I never wanted to go back and watch it again because of it.

Weeats

Banned
Jun 17, 2019
Gyllenhaal did this at this at the same time as Brokeback Mountain.

I didn't realize it then, but this is when he goes god-tier.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty damn good film. The book is actually a lot better not to diss on the movie in anyway but just a lot more expanded than what a 2 hour movie could do. But he talks a lot more about the isolation....the suffocating heat. The scorned lovers and the hate he got from people who despised the military. The blatant alcoholism that a lot of guys had (or at least using it to get through really hard shit like burying a friend)

For no better terms it just felt very "how it was" which obviously I have no idea about but it just does. Really nails that empty, nihilistic feeling of wartime and the movie does that really well too. Specifically also that environment of watching air power just destroy everything and not really ever being "needed" or seeing heavy combat. Which these guys trained for and lusted after......and then you basically do not see it, and it just drove these guys crazy.

It stuck with me.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
it's because Jarhead wasn't about the war. It was about the expectations of those who served and acclimating to people who haven't. At least that is how I saw it and the people I know(including family) who went out and joined the military, not exactly the army always.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I thought it was an excellent movie. There was a YouTube video of an actual marine commenting on the different scenes. He said it was pretty accurate.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty damn good film. The book is actually a lot better not to diss on the movie in anyway but just a lot more expanded than what a 2 hour movie could do. But he talks a lot more about the isolation....the suffocating heat. The scorned lovers and the hate he got from people who despised the military. The blatant alcoholism that a lot of guys had (or at least using it to get through really hard shit like burying a friend)

For no better terms it just felt very "how it was" which obviously I have no idea about but it just does. Really nails that empty, nihilistic feeling of wartime and the movie does that really well too. Specifically also that environment of watching air power just destroy everything and not really ever being "needed" or seeing heavy combat. Which these guys trained for and lusted after......and then you basically do not see it, and it just drove these guys crazy.

It stuck with me.
it was based on a book? same title? i'd love to read it

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't follow the plot of this movie because I legitimately couldn't tell the cast apart from eachother.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
You've all been taught that thou shall not kill. But hear this -- fuck. that. shit.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Good use of a Nirvana song to establish the era and mood

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the film since it released in theaters but I remember really enjoying it. I own the DVD so I should pop that in and rewatch it sometime soon.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
It came out when I was in highschool and my buddies saw it and all didn't like it because it wasn't as bad ass and action packed as they expected. It turned me off from watching it then but that sounds extremely appealing to me now lol.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017