• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Now this some dedication. Interesting for those in rural areas like myself. We have a twisted pair network from Windstream. Just got my service upgraded to 10 mbps in November which was the speed until today. I just ran ran two speed tests and got 4.5 mbps. Calling Windstream today.

"The old saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself" usually isn't helpful when your problem is not having good Internet service. But for one man in rural Michigan named Jared Mauch, who happens to be a network architect, the solution to not having good broadband at home was in fact building his own fiber-Internet service provider.

Mauch originally estimated the project would cost $60,000, but it ended up being more than twice that. Some customers spent $5,000 up front to help offset building costs and will receive service credits for multiple years in exchange now that the network is built. Based on the amount Mauch invested and his expected revenue, he estimates he'll break even within 42 months.

"I copied a prepay model from an existing ISP who had experience with it," Mauch said, noting that he learned from the experiences of several ISPs. One of the ISPs Mauch learned from is Vergennes Broadband in Michigan, a provider we wrote about in 2015. Now that Mauch has built an ISP, he said he's provided advice to several other people who are working on their own, similar projects.

Mauch charges $65 a month for symmetrical 50Mbps service, $75 for 250Mbps, and $99 for 500Mbps, with an installation fee of $199. If a house is more than 200 feet from the road, he charges an extra 45 cents per foot to extend the cable. "
arstechnica.com

Jared Mauch didn’t have good broadband—so he built his own fiber ISP

"I had to start a telephone company to get [high-speed] Internet access."

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos to him. I know a lot of people in Rural PA or OH who are stuck with sub 25mbps and pay an arm and a leg for it.

For Windstream and 10 mbps down (sometimes) and a phone, I am paying $106 per month. I am 23 miles from Athens, GA. Without a phone it would be $95 per month.

Exactly! The US has terrible internet infrastructure, and tons of price gouging. I was outside of a major city getting 400/400 for $39, I moved this year and am paying $80 for 400/10. I have a friend paying windstream for over $100 for 25mpbs just 45 min away from me.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Hopefully he can recover before a big company decides they want to take over now. It's happened before when they are unwilling to budge that they suddenly can do something when someone else did.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Umm those prices seem expensive?

Based on his costs and the fact that it's a small time operation that doesn't benefit from economy of scale, it's pretty reasonable looking.

I just worry when it gets to the unpleasant part of running an ISP. Your transit provider goes down and your backup doesn't work the way you thought. Construction crews destroy your fiber because they couldn't be bothered to clear the area before digging. Getting legal notices for one of your customers commiting piracy of movies/music/games. The not fun parts of the business.

Oct 25, 2017
We have a 300/300 connection here in Denmark. It's 189 kr that's umm.. 30 dollars.

That said, kudos to him for setting up his own isp. Why not ! Clearly the alternatives were terrible.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully he can recover before a big company decides they want to take over now. It's happened before when they are unwilling to budge that they suddenly can do something when someone else did.
funny enough, this happened in KC. Google Fiber forced Spectrum and ATT to offer up Gig services and lowered their prices. A shame stuff like the above or Google Fiber can't take off in more areas. I pay 70 dollars a month for gig service, and will be getting their 2 gig service once its offered.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Rural locations often don't have accessibility to good service. Also, some ISP are absolute ass. Should likely be a regulated utility at this point.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I live in rural michigan and have literally no high speed internet options. We pay around $50 for internet that averages 2-3 mbps, 6 mbps in the middle of the night and no one is using it.
I would gladly pay $65 for 25x the speed.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
$65 for that? Oh no.
ITT: People who don't understand what the options for broadband are if you live out in the country in the middle of nowhere

$65 is a fuckin bargain when the best you can do is a barely functioning upload pipe with a cellular hotspot and one bar of signal and it only works if you sit in a certain chair in the corner of a room

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
In my Canadian city it's $87 USD/month for 100/100 fibre.

For a rural startup this guy is offering fantastic pricing.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Construction crews destroy your fiber because they couldn't be bothered to clear the area before digging.
This exact thing happened in our neighborhood last week - they cut right through because they didn't do the necessary confirmation. It was out for a day and a half while the repairs were made. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a big deal, but disruptive nonetheless.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
This exact thing happened in our neighborhood last week - they cut right through because they didn't do the necessary confirmation. It was out for a day and a half while the repairs were made. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a big deal, but disruptive nonetheless.

I know the feeling. My home is #12 out of 100 homes in my neighborhood. Currently we only have 22 homes built with 50 to be completed by the end of this summer. Once a month I am the one that calls for the neighborhood wide internet outage. I have a business agreement with Cox. The reps know me by phone number at this point and just ask me what streets are the construction on during the outage. They then will call me to let me know how everything is progressing. Last summer was terrible, and the building slowed down over the holidays. The building is ramping up now and I fully expect for more outages. Hopefully once the builders get past the original sections of the neighborhood, when the there are line cuts, the whole neighborhood should not go down.

This has been very annoying. I really hope Cox goes after the builders (fees/fines/or a court date) for ignoring the signs and markers in the ground to denote where the fiber lines are running.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
I too am in Michigan. I can't get anything but a wireless signal. First two years was dreaded satellite. I now have an At&t hotspot ($100 month) that is worlds better, but is still limiting. I can download about 20-30gb a day. So updates and digital games are a headache. I'm really hoping Starlink will be atleast a better option.

Crazy thing is, there is fiber buried in my yard. Zayo. but for some reason won't offer residential.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I moved from San Francisco to Iowa and I'm on one of the VERY FEW blocks around here actually wired up for Fiber. Kinda can't believe my luck as I WFH on video calls all day and was pretty concerned for my (long-term) employment prospects if the Internet at my new place wasn't stable or fast.

Fast, reliable internet is no joke in the new WFH economy-- I feel very lucky. I probably would have seriously considered pre-paying for several years of service for the $4-5k these initial folks did, too.

My speeds this morning -

Mbps download
Mbps upload

For fiber it is oddly variable -- normally ~900Mbps down, but sometimes it is as low as 100 Mbps (which is obviously more than enough).

Oct 25, 2017
I moved from San Francisco to Iowa and I'm on one of the VERY FEW blocks around here actually wired up for Fiber. Kinda can't believe my luck as I WFH on video calls all day and was pretty concerned for my (long-term) employment prospects if the Internet at my new place wasn't stable or fast.

Fast, reliable internet is no joke in the new WFH economy-- I feel very lucky. I probably would have seriously considered pre-paying for several years of service for the $4-5k these initial folks did, too.

My speeds this morning -

Mbps download
Mbps upload

For fiber it is oddly variable -- normally ~900Mbps down, but sometimes it is as low as 100 Mbps (which is obviously more than enough).
You're probably sharing your bandwith. The guy in the OP set up a connection where his customers are also sharing their bandwith.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
over 20 million americans living in rural areas don't have access to 100/10 internet service
before he started his own ISP, i imagine this guy was part of that group. he lives in rural michigan, and he was using wireless internet before because his house never got wired up with cable or fiber, and comcast wanted him to pay $50K for a hookup.

just nuts man

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Happened here in the UK at some point years back now, similar thing. Rural area had fucking awful Internet, the residents of the small village were sick of it so they put their money together as a group and basically created their own ISP. They paid to have the fiber ran throughout their village and to the hub etc and now they have insanely good Internet and the best part for them is the costs were mostly all up front so there is a very small fee each month for maintenance unlike paying a corporation a lot each month so they can make profits.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

My speeds this morning -

Mbps download
Mbps upload

You didn't confirm the internet speed before you moved in? You are extremely lucky!

machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great story. I live in Washtenaw County had no idea this was happening. At one point there was a "Wireless Washtenaw" initiative which was supposed to provide free internet for the whole county but it flopped miserably.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
UPDATE:
arstechnica.com

Man who built ISP instead of paying Comcast $50K expands to hundreds of homes

Jared Mauch gets $2.6 million from gov't to expand fiber ISP in rural Michigan.

I guess this guy reads the thread because pricing structure changed:

Under the contract terms, Mauch will provide 100Mbps symmetrical Internet with unlimited data for $55 a month and 1Gbps with unlimited data for $79 a month.

Good guy government in this case

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Anyone here use this company?

www.surfbroadband.com

Surf Internet - Fiber and Wireless Internet

Enjoy the fastest internet connection in the Great Lakes Region with Whole-Home WiFi and a rate lock guarantee. Plans start at $35/mo. Call 888-274-6381 now.
Yes I have their 500/500 plan and it's $70 a month and no data cap. I haven't had an issue yet, but i may need to get another eero as speeds drop down to 300ish in some areas of the house.