• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The only outcome I can see is that Joker just shoots Luthor as soon as he starts talking.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Can i join you guys?
88a0fc210799940646e414fab6469b94a045ad2e.jpg

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Eisenberg's Luthor, at least in theory.

I like the idea of a weird, rich, tech-douche Luthor, but in execution he just wasn't given enough motivation for hating Superman which pretty much killed him as a character.

He also had too many weird eccentricities making him a bit too Joker-y. Like all he was doing is just to cause chaos.
Like what even was the point of making Doomsday? It would have killed Luthor if Superman hadn't saved him.

Yeah, Eisenberg was fine in theory. My biggest issue with him was the lack of any gravity around him. You can be a tech douche and still be intimidating.

Oct 27, 2017
its still funny to me that they made eisenberg a tech bro to "update" lex luther from his old evil businessman persona the year that the person he was based on was elected president

way to have your finger on the pulse of the culture there guys

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I don't mind Eisenberg's Luthor, at least in theory.

I like the idea of a weird, rich, tech-douche Luthor, but in execution he just wasn't given enough motivation for hating Superman which pretty much killed him as a character.

He also had too many weird eccentricities making him a bit too Joker-y. Like all he was doing is just to cause chaos.
Like what even was the point of making Doomsday? It would have killed Luthor if Superman hadn't saved him.

Agreed.

The basic character sheet was fine, more than fine...it's pretty inspired to make him start as a tech bro. IRL someone like Bezos captures the various incarnation of businessman Luthor well.

I blame the script/direction, because Eisenberg as Zuch was a better Luthor than when he actually played Luthor, LOL. (the seething menace for having to deal with everyone around him, the snappy comebacks to the lawyers at the table during the flash forwards, etc)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I only watched the original Suicide Squad recently and it was actually worse than I thought it would be. As for Leto's Joker I had heard it was bad but just like the movie I thought "How bad could it Possibly be?" Well it was worse than I expected. Joker is tough because other's have done him so well but holy shit his Joker was next level trash.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly ... I wanted that to happen a lot actually, disappointed but didn't

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
worst

or best

It would be a great train wreck. And it has to be said, that despite how miscast he's in the role, Eisenberg's Luthor is nowhere as bad Leto's Joker.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The concept of this Luthor was good. I don't know what killed it. The writing or the acting.

I didn't watch a second time.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would've loved this to be honest. Both were so bad in their movies that it would've been an entertaining trainwreck.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Eisenberg's Luthor was good for what it was in BvS. But I wouldn't be able to take him seriously AT ALL as the more traditional Lex. Nearly fucking burst out laughing when he appeared in the JL post-credit scene.

Seriously bizarre casting.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
its still funny to me that they made eisenberg a tech bro to "update" lex luther from his old evil businessman persona the year that the person he was based on was elected president

way to have your finger on the pulse of the culture there guys

Apart from one image, Luthor wasn't really ever based on Trump. When he was retconned into an evil businessman, he was still a tech genius.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
John Byrne has said in interviews that he and Marv Wolfman explicitly based their version of Luthor on Trump.

Did they? They also said he built his empire with his own tech genius (I belive this was later retconned). So I guess the rich bully part fits, but not the inherited-wealth doofus. I guess public perception of Trump back then was that he was smart. In any event, modeling Luthor on current perceptions of Trump doesn't make a ton of sense. Trump's a raging anti-intellectual and the public is keenly aware of it now.

Oct 27, 2017
Did they? They also said he built his empire with his own tech genius (I belive this was later retconned). So I guess the rich bully part fits, but not the inherited-wealth doofus. I guess public perception of Trump back then was that he was smart. In any event, modeling Luthor on current perceptions of Trump doesn't make a ton of sense. Trump's a raging anti-intellectual and the public is keenly aware of it now.

www.cbr.com

Comic Legends: Was Lex Luthor in Man of Steel Based on Donald Trump?

In the latest Comic Book Legends Revealed, discover if Lex Luthor in Man of Steel was based on Donald Trump!

"I built the character as a cross between Donald Trump, Ted Turner, Howard Hughes and maybe Satan himself! "

Also, Byrne on his forum:

"Luthor was a composite, really. The overall tapestry was Trump, but into that were woven the likes of Ted Turner, and even the more unsavory aspects of Thomas Edison. There was a hint of Tesla around the edges, too."

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I actually liked what Leto brought to the character, I just think his costume and makeup design was mostly terrible.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Making snyderverse Joker a straight forward piece of shit gangster that believes his own hype as the clown prince of crime is a good idea to create distance from Ledger's take on Joker but the execution was just so terrible on basically all fronts.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
www.cbr.com

Comic Legends: Was Lex Luthor in Man of Steel Based on Donald Trump?

In the latest Comic Book Legends Revealed, discover if Lex Luthor in Man of Steel was based on Donald Trump!

"I built the character as a cross between Donald Trump, Ted Turner, Howard Hughes and maybe Satan himself! "

Also, Byrne on his forum:

"Luthor was a composite, really. The overall tapestry was Trump, but into that were woven the likes of Ted Turner, and even the more unsavory aspects of Thomas Edison. There was a hint of Tesla around the edges, too."

That makes a lot more sense that straight Trump. Luthor is a self-made man and a genius, neither of which fits Trump. But ruthless, vain, and bullying all fit.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eisenberg's Luthor was good for what it was in BvS. But I wouldn't be able to take him seriously AT ALL as the more traditional Lex. Nearly fucking burst out laughing when he appeared in the JL post-credit scene.

Seriously bizarre casting.

The casting was solid. Jesse Eisenberg is a fantastic actor who played Zuckerberg, who is basically a modern, real-life, tech bro version of all of those old business magnate/engineering genius super villains. With competent writing and direction they could have made something relevant.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I don't know, I don't get the hate for their takes on those characters. I mean, I do, but the movies were bad, not the acting. I liked what they both did, the movies they did it in just sucked.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand why DCs animation studios can largely be so good but their live action stuff is.....not (WW and Shazam being exceptions for me).

Lex is a prime example, so many of the animated versions of him are done very well but just about every live action take on the character is trash.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I will never understand why DCs animation studios can largely be so good but their live action stuff is.....not (WW and Shazam being exceptions for me).

Lex is a prime example, so many of the animated versions of him are done very well but just about every live action take on the character is trash.
Supergirl;s is good

also, this is literally Leto's Joker

latest

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Until we find a way to reanimate Telly Savalas, Luthor should stay off the big screen.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel if Eisenberg was given one more movie where he was Lex, he would have pulled it off. I initially hated his portrayal...but after many subsequent rewatches, the character has grown on me a decent bit.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Many of you need to watch something other than comic or Star Wars movies if you think this would be anything close to the worst thing in film history.

Start with The Terror of Tiny Town.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Never mind the hate crimes inspired by Birth of a Nation, the prevlance of McCarthyism in Hollywood, or the countless cases of abuse carried out by powerful figures like Weinstein... Two poorly casted villains being in the same comic-book mini-series would be the worst thing in film history.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Never mind the hate crimes inspired by Birth of a Nation, the prevlance of McCarthyism in Hollywood, or the countless cases of abuse carried out by powerful figures like Weinstein... Two poorly casted villains being in the same comic-book mini-series would be the worst thing in film history.
www.youtube.com

quote retweets

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/prozdMy Let's Play channel, Press Buttons n Talk:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHsNH4FZXFeSQMJ56AdrBAMy Merch/T-Shirt Sto...

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who really likes snyder and most of his movies, including BVS, I don't disagree with the premise of this thread at all. leto was amazingly disapointing as joker and eisenberg, who I like as an actor, was absolutely awful as lex. nearly ruined the movie. just imagining the optics of that movie if it was bryan cranston as some magnetic scene chewing villain. ugghhhhh. why snyder, why?