• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
sports.yahoo.com

Jared Dudley says Lakers were laughing at Clippers as crosstown rivals blew 3-1 lead

A Lakers title. A Clippers collapse. One team enjoyed the NBA playoffs even as spectators.

😂

The Los Angeles Lakers are NBA champions, and with the title comes the freedom to laugh at your rivals. Literally.

Before the Lakers' captured their 17th title, their crosstown rival Los Angeles Clippers fell in embarrassing fashion by blowing a 3-1 lead against the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference semifinals. All season, fans had been preparing for an all-Los Angeles Western Conference finals, but one team failed to uphold their end of the bargain.

Lakers couldn't believe Clippers' collapse
Lakers forward Jared Dudley revealed on "The Bill Simmons Podcast" that the Lakers' reaction to the Clippers' misfortune was laughter.

"We were laughing. We were laughing. We were laughing in the sense like 'I can't believe it.' I picked them to win game seven, there was no way I thought they were going to lose. Our whole mind was, 'We got to beat the Clippers. We want the Clippers.' They wanted us. It was the trash talking that happened — Pat Beverley 'check ball' during the pandemic, 'Playoff P' talking about he the best, him and Kawhi, Kawhi with the commercials, the crown. We're seeing all these billboards up here. So when we go to practice every day there's a Kawhi billboard — we see this billboard every single day. It's right there.

"But you know what, it was just crazy. You see Paul George hit the side of the backboard, Kawhi not having that, but those boys, they didn't want to be in the bubble. They didn't want to be there, and I don't blame them for certain times, but the world needed to see the Clippers and the Lakers and it was unfortunate we didn't get to see that."

C.R.E.A.M.

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
Biggest choke job this year after all the hype they got, they were favored over the lakers too by many in the media.

The clippers should just move to Seattle already, they can't compete with the lakers in LA

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
EkHga5xVgAEHqzF

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Who wasn't laughing at that? Other than the Clippers org and their fans.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Everyone was laughing about it, except people who didn't know about it... And the Clippers organization.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
As a New Balance fan, my 75 yr old dad was upset. Sportsmanship is gone. Where's my beige Corolla at?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This decade,

Clippers 2020
Warriors 2016
Heat 2011
Cavs 2010

were the most humiliating losses in pro basketball. Tangentially, all of them involved Lebron James.

It never makes sense when you see a team with more talent (on paper) completely implode. The first reaction is usually laughter and mockery, because none of this is that serious.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
but he's an nba player. Your logic is nba players shouldnt be able to vocally find the Clippers choke job amusing because they are bench warmers, but people like us all over the internet who are barely even good enough to play at the local Y can?
Even those of us who aren't good to play at the local Y are still laughing. It's hilarious.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How could you not laugh at the Clippers?

Kawhi and Doc are the only guys on that team that won anything. Beverley and Lou Williams have always been losers and in Beverley's case a supremely unlikeable asshole for his entire career and they are carrying themselves like they are the defending champs at the start of the season. And management was spending a ton on PR and putting out that the narrative that this was some battle for LA when in reality there are no Clipper fans. I think there was even a GIF comparing themselves to the 96 Bulls.

If you set it up like that then everyone is going to clown on you when you can't deliver.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
He's right, they didn't want to be there and you could tell. As a Toronto resident I know Leonard has, uh, certain needs.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why even NBA players are laughing at the Clippers is because they've been acting like they got the chip from the moment that they signed PG and Kawhi. It was so damn satisfying to see all of that shit blow up in their face. Are they still playing Kawhi's new balance commercial that said "we'd tell you the ending, but you already know" lmao

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I haven't liked Dudley since he played at BC and every time he scored a layup acted like he was Jerome Bettis getting a first down on the first series of a game in September. That said, he's right.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How could you not laugh at the Clippers?

Kawhi and Doc are the only guys on that team that won anything. Beverley and Lou Williams have always been losers and in Beverley's case a supremely unlikeable asshole for his entire career and they are carrying themselves like they are the defending champs at the start of the season. And management was spending a ton on PR and putting out that the narrative that this was some battle for LA when in reality there are no Clipper fans. I think there was even a GIF comparing themselves to the 96 Bulls.

If you set it up like that then everyone is going to clown on you when you can't deliver.
yes to all of this. clippers humiliation and lakers winning the championship was the best thing that could of happened.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm still not done dunking on them. With the way they were front-running all season it was doubly hilarious to see them implode like that.

I haven't laughed that hard since the 08 Dream Team Iggles. If anyone here is from the IGN Football Boards, the weekly shops when they lost were legendary.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I was too
They had like a 15+ point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter in game 5 and blew it hard
Paul George's shot off the side of backboard will always be funny