• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
For many, pressure to avoid causing offence by spending thousands of yen on treats for coworkers is becoming intolerable

Japanese women are pushing back against a tradition the dictates they must give chocolates to male colleagues on Valentine's Day, with growing anger at the practice of "forced giving".

Until recently, women in the workplace were expected to buy chocolates for their male workmates as part of a tradition called giri choco – literally, obligation chocolates.

For a growing number of people, the pressure to avoid causing offence by spending thousands of yen on chocolates for coworkers is becoming intolerable. Some companies are now banning the practice, which is seen by many workers as a form of abuse of power and harassment.

A survey found that than 60% of women will instead buy chocolates as a personal treat on 14 February. More than 56% said they would give chocolates to family members, while 36% would make the same gesture towards partners or the objects of a crush.

Keeping on the right side of colleagues, however, was furthest from their thoughts, with just 35% saying they planned to hand out chocolate treats to men at their workplace, according to the poll by a Tokyo department store.

"Before the ban, we had to worry about things like how much is appropriate to spend on each chocolate and where we draw the line in who we give the chocolates to, so it's good that we no longer have this culture of forced giving," one of the surveyed office workers said, according to the Japan Today website.

Source

Good riddance!?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Not sure why men would even want obligation chocolate. Chocolate given only due to written/unwritten rules. Would just make me feel bad personally.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Weird, that it caries over to adulthood. At best I expected obligation chocolate to end during middle school, like it happens here with those cheap valentine's cards. I think I stopped giving them away in the fourth grade.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
As a guy, that really must suck for women to feel pressured to do that. It's something most guys won't probably experience.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, that it caries over to adulthood. At best I expected obligation chocolate to end during middle school, like it happens here with those cheap valentine's cards. I think I stopped giving them away in the fourth grade.
These holidays are all just to line certain people's pockets, so people will be pressured every year.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Good on them, you shouldn't be forced to give chocolates to coworkers.

Where is the Rankin/bass stop motion short about the origin of Obligation Chocolates?

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always felt this was a ploy for the chocolate companies to drum up business. Lots of local chocolate companies in Japan like Royce'

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just have it be "Nice if you do but no one cares if you don't. " in the West?

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Ugh that tradition sounds awful. Do guys have to do something similar for White Day?
You return white chocolate if you like the person or something.
Yes, it is expected for men to give back a returning gift for White day, but it does not need to be chocolate, as clothes jewelry and other sweets are common gifts.
Sorry but these replies are wrong. Guys don't have to do anything in return for giri choco which are brought by female workers to the workplace. It would be pretty weird if a guy were to bring anything to the office on White Day.

However, guys are kind of expected to give something to their crush or loved one on White Day. But these days, rather than waiting for White Day, Valentines Day is becoming a day for mutual exchange. It is actually becoming increasingly common for guys to spoil their partners on Valentines Day than the other way around.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Sorry but these replies are wrong. Guys don't have to do anything in return for giri choco which are brought by female workers to the workplace. It would be pretty weird if a guy were to bring anything to the office on White Day.

However, guys are kind of expected to give something to their crush or loved one on White Day. But these days, rather than waiting for White Day, Valentines Day is becoming a day for mutual exchange. It is actually becoming increasingly common for guys to spoil their partners on Valentines Day than the other way around.
What? It's a really bad look if you don't give something back on WD in the office if you got some chocolates on Valentine's Day.
You return white chocolate if you like the person or something.
Nah, you return chocolates if you're not a cheap person. I'm talking about work, the whole thing is probably different in schools.

Edit:
While I agree that the whole thing is silly, especially in the workplace, at least in my experience as far as obligation chocolates work, all the women in the department would just buy them for all the men and vice versa on White Day.
Reminds me of buying girls flowers for Woman's Day back in school.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What? It's a really bad look if you don't give something back on WD in the office if you got some chocolates on Valentine's Day.
Giri choco is a totally different from regular Valentines chocolate gift-giving (honmei choco). Maybe you've seen it if you work in Japan – it's when a woman brings in treats for the people in her department/team (large company) or whole office (small company). It does not gender discriminate – they are usually split between every gendered body including the woman who bought them. Usually it feeds 5 - 20 people a couple of chocolates (or whatever snack it is) each.

However, no guys in any company office I have worked at in my career have ever brought anything in to the office on White Day lol.

Maybe it is traditional or expected but it simply does not happen.

Perhaps you are thinking specifically of when a woman has a crush on a male coworker. If you are receiving something from a woman who is *specifically* bringing you chocolates then it's definitely a bit of a dick move not to return something to her on White Day. However, this would likely never happen in view of other coworkers since it is incredibly unusual for a woman (or man for that matter) to show public signs of affection outside of close friends, especially if they are not in a relationship.

Last edited:

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Good riddance. Yes.

Who's the jackass who keeps expecting free shit?

I got small Ferrero boxes one click away on Amazon for such occasions to give on the exact same day or close by, rather than wait a month.

Only few bad for one of my co-workers that does some homemade sweets, off the shelf gifts feel so cheap in comparison ( ._.)

Oct 26, 2017

Uh, it's been pretty normal for guys to return gifts on white day everywhere I've worked. And my friends right next to me have had the same experience. Guys bringing things for the office en-masse as well. Maybe your company just sucks / is better than all of ours? I don't mind the whole thing personally but would be happier without all of it.

I've heard that teenagers have taken to just buying chocolates for their friends (both guys and girls) on Valentine's day but can't confirm really because I don't talk to teenagers regularly.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Giri choco is a totally different from regular Valentines chocolate gift-giving (honmei choco). Maybe you've seen it if you work in Japan – it's when a woman brings in treats for the people in her department/team (large company) or whole office (small company). It does not gender discriminate – they are usually split between every gendered body including the woman who bought them. Usually it feeds 5 - 20 people a couple of chocolates (or whatever snack it is) each.

However, no guys in any company office I have worked at in my career have ever brought anything in to the office on White Day lol.

Maybe it is traditional or expected but it simply does not happen.

Perhaps you are thinking specifically of when a woman has a crush on a male coworker. If you are receiving something from a woman who is *specifically* bringing you chocolates then it's definitely a bit of a dick move not to return something to her on White Day. However, this would likely never happen in view of other coworkers since it is incredibly unusual for a woman (or man for that matter) to show public signs of affection outside of close friends, especially if they are not in a relationship.
I was talking about giri chocolates. And in both offices I worked, giving back giri chocolates was a thing everyone did.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Uh, it's been pretty normal for guys to return gifts on white day everywhere I've worked. And my friends right next to me have had the same experience. Guys bringing things for the office en-masse as well. Maybe your company just sucks / is better than all of ours? I don't mind the whole thing personally but would be happier without all of it.

I've heard that teenagers have taken to just buying chocolates for their friends (both guys and girls) on Valentine's day but can't confirm really because I don't talk to teenagers regularly.
I was talking about giri chocolates. And in both offices I worked, giving back giri chocolates was a thing everyone did.
Just out of curiosity but what kind of companies are you working for?

Personally I have worked for start-ups as well as global tech companies so it may be a sector thing, but I have never witnessed White Day giri choco in what is coming up to a decade of experience.

(Valentines giri choco however I have witnessed as standard)

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just in teaching, so nothing special. Friend on my right is Japanese though and has worked in various industries. Accounting now. Other friend in marketing.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm in gaming, but my friends in various other industries also had similar experiences.

revenantkioku

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about chocolate culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with bacon where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with chocolate, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
All my co-workers ignore this stuff. Though I do know there are some ladies who really buy into this nonsense. Just a weird made up thing to drive chocolate sales. Everyone knows it, not an honest to goodness obligation so don't get to riled up folks.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
When I was teaching in Japan, the girls in my class of kids got me chocolate on that day. It was weird. Right in front of their parents too.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
OT, but speaking of guys bringing goodies to share with everybody, reminded me of a former co-worker, pachinko addicted, who would always unload a lot of sembei at the company. Ah, good times :3

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I agree, finally.
I wouldn't like to receive chocolate as a present if there isn't heart behind it.