• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I bet they had learned their lessons at leasts since SARS while the West was caught with its pants down because we naively assumed "that would never happen to us".

The whole cost- and capacity-cutting in health/elderly care (even in countries with good/free access to it) irked me for years, fearing that it might bite us in the ass eventually. And here we are now.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. Total number infected per 10000 makes sense. Death rate makes sense although the numbers are likely overestimates. How do they define and quantify spread of infection? Can someone translate.

China's score being equal to S. Korea surprises me.

Maybe the reproduction number, which is how many people each COVID-19 positive person transmits the disease to

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A month ago Australia was doing great. Now, not so much.

I mean, our death rate is still only 0.5 per 100,000 people so I'm talking relative terms.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
They are number one here

www.politico.com

Ranking the global impact of the coronavirus pandemic, country by country

How Covid-19 has affected health and economics around the world
It's quite impressive. A shame public health isn't put first in every country
Its not in the list, at least I can't find it with my understanding of katakana. Which isn't always a problem with the model, a lot of time certain countries and regions are not included for whatever reason.
Oh okay good to know thanks

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Can someone please translate the entire list please.

1. Taiwan
  2. Malaysia
  3. Hong Kong
  4. Thailand
  5. China
  6. S. Korea
  7. Australia
  8. New Zealand
  9. Japan
  10. Norway
  11. Singapore
  12. Pakistan
  13. Austria
  14. UAE
  15. Turkey
  16. Finland
  17. Denmark
  18. Qatar
  19. Argentina
  20. Indonesia
  21. Poland
  22. Saudia Arabia
  23. Egypt
  24. Germany
  25. Israel
  26. Philippines
  27. Hungry
  28. Switzerland
  29. Greece
  30. South Africa
  31. Russia
  32. Czechoslovakia Czech Republic
  33. India
  34. Netherlands
  35. Chile
  36. Ireland
  37. Columbia
  38. Canada
  39. Portugal
  40. Italy
  41. Sweden
  42. USA
  43. Belgium
  44. England
  45. France
  46. Spain
  47. Mexico
  48. Brazil
  49. Peru

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Malaysia
Hong Kong
Thailand
China
S. Korea
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
Norway
Singapore
Pakistan
Austria
UAE
Turkey
Finland
Denmark
Qatar
Argentina
Indonesia
Poland
Saudia Arabia
Egypt
Germany
Israel
Philippines
Hungry
Switzerland
Greece
South Africa
Russia
Czechoslovakia
India
Netherlands
Chile
Ireland
Columbia
Canada
Portugal
Italy
Sweden
USA
Belgium
England
France
Spain
Mexico
Brazil
Peru
Thank you.

It's a clear difference there between geographical region.

Even within the asian countries, the worst performing country is the most westernized culturally speaking.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's also the most closely culturally aligned to the US, romance European countries and Latin America that are the ones doing the worse out of all the other countries. I find that very interesting.

limenglm

Jan 10, 2019
Sure they can fake it, all reporting goes through the government and there is no free press. Also confirmed covid cases with no symptoms are often not counted as cases that go in the stats.

No they cannot fake it. Not when people can talk about it on social media and chat rooms. Most internet users have relatives and friends all over the country, if some hospital is flooded with COVID-19 patients, people will know. Chinese people are not mindless drones and in the case of COVID-19 we don't need "free press" to know things, thank you.

Also the article you quoted is a flight FROM Dhakka TO Guangzhou. It only indicates the infection rates in Dhakka, if anything.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't read the article even with english translate enabled. What rank is the Philippines on?

Also fuck Duterte.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I can't read the article even with english translate enabled. What rank is the Philippines on?

Also fuck Duterte.
  1. Taiwan
  2. Malaysia
  3. Hong Kong
  4. Thailand
  5. China
  6. S. Korea
  7. Australia
  8. New Zealand
  9. Japan
  10. Norway
  11. Singapore
  12. Pakistan
  13. Austria
  14. UAE
  15. Turkey
  16. Finland
  17. Denmark
  18. Qatar
  19. Argentina
  20. Indonesia
  21. Poland
  22. Saudia Arabia
  23. Egypt
  24. Germany
  25. Israel
  26. Philippines
  27. Hungry
  28. Switzerland
  29. Greece
  30. South Africa
  31. Russia
  32. Czechoslovakia
  33. India
  34. Netherlands
  35. Chile
  36. Ireland
  37. Columbia
  38. Canada
  39. Portugal
  40. Italy
  41. Sweden
  42. USA
  43. Belgium
  44. England
  45. France
  46. Spain
  47. Mexico
  48. Brazil
  49. Peru

Added numbers for you

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thank you.

It's a clear difference there between geographical region.

Even within the asian countries, the worst performing country is the most westernized culturally speaking.

The details are also difficult to account for; Singapore's number would be among the top and indeed daily local case numbers are always below 10, but the quarantined worker dorms continue to show a few hundred cases/day. Since the country is actively and publicly testing and reporting those numbers as opposed to hiding them or minimizing testing, on a chart they will always rank worse than expected.

Of course, compared to some of the bad examples, every detected case here is immediately moved to a hospital if treatment is required - currently 150 patients nationwide, zero ICU - or to recovery centers such as Hotels or Convention centers to wait it out. It's not exactly New Zealand, but a country with a firm recovery plan and mandatory masks at work/school/outdoors.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol no Vietnam? This data is skewed. They have no death over there

Like I said earlier, they didn't include Vietnam in the listings at all. This doesn't mean the model doesn't have merit, it just means they didn't use it to demonstrate their model and findings. Vietnam would be a pretty meaningless exercise since, as you state, it has no deaths and basically no cases.

They don't have every single country in the world, a notable exclusion is Iran that we know is being hit hard by coronavirus and an economic crisis of sorts.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Sure they can fake it, all reporting goes through the government and there is no free press. Also confirmed covid cases with no symptoms are often not counted as cases that go in the stats.
No they cannot fake it. Not when people can talk about it on social media and chat rooms. Most internet users have relatives and friends all over the country, if some hospital is flooded with COVID-19 patients, people will know. Chinese people are not mindless drones and in the case of COVID-19 we don't need "free press" to know things, thank you.

I'm not saying Chinese are mindless drones, I have lived in China and work with Chinese people for decades now, and have studied two Chinese languages to fluency. The problem would be if one would leak hospital data freely on social media there is a very high risk of arrest and other consequences by the authorities. If you think there is anything resembling a free flow of information on social media you just don't know the country.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Indonesia at 20 ...well, that's *insert Dyatlov meme here*
We're not doing great by any means but it seriously scared me for a while at how bad it could've been. 4th in population numbers, very crowded, and developing economy.

I'll save the last sigh of relief for when this pandemic is well and truly behind us though.

limenglm

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not saying Chinese are mindless drones, I have lived in China and work with Chinese people for decades now, and have studied two Chinese languages to fluency. The problem would be if one would leak hospital data freely on social media there is a very high risk of arrest and other consequences by the authorities. If you think there is anything resembling a free flow of information on social media you just don't know the country.

I know the country quite well because I lived most of my whole life here. I think I can tell when the CCP are telling bullshit lies and when they are telling the truth. In the case of COVID-19 numbers (after Wuhan that is), I believe they are telling the truth. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong and I have no problem to have CCP's lies being revealed, however in the case of today's COVID-19 numbers I don't have any evidence suggesting they are telling lies. So that's that.

About the risk on social media, I know it too well because I bear that risk everyday. Some topics can not be talked about freely, but case numbers in hospitals are not one of those forbidden topics.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprisingly many of the top rankers were hit hard by SARS and H1N1 (CH-SAR, TW, SEA regions, etc) and moved fast to deploy countermeasures this time.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Malaysian here. We just got lucky and went into lockdown early. Has nothing to do with individual responsibility or discipline. Americans are doing a better job at social distancing and wearing masks.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Philippines at #26
in comparison to other Asian countries, that's quite bad

I think it's not really a fair comparison against East Asia because they are more developed.

However, Philippines above US is kinda right when even Duterte orders school to be closed indefinitely until there's a vaccine. When he made that announcement, Philippines has around 500 daily new cases with 100m population.

That's just show how lightly the US is taking this pandemic.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Malaysian here. We just got lucky and went into lockdown early. Has nothing to do with individual responsibility or discipline. Americans are doing a better job at social distancing and wearing masks.
Judging by the insane pictures of mass gatherings in the US, I honestly doubt that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Taiwan
  2. Malaysia
  3. Hong Kong
  4. Thailand
  5. China
  6. S. Korea
  7. Australia
  8. New Zealand
  9. Japan
  10. Norway
  11. Singapore
  12. Pakistan
  13. Austria
  14. UAE
  15. Turkey
  16. Finland
  17. Denmark
  18. Qatar
  19. Argentina
  20. Indonesia
  21. Poland
  22. Saudia Arabia
  23. Egypt
  24. Germany
  25. Israel
  26. Philippines
  27. Hungry
  28. Switzerland
  29. Greece
  30. South Africa
  31. Russia
  32. Czechoslovakia
  33. India
  34. Netherlands
  35. Chile
  36. Ireland
  37. Columbia
  38. Canada
  39. Portugal
  40. Italy
  41. Sweden
  42. USA
  43. Belgium
  44. England
  45. France
  46. Spain
  47. Mexico
  48. Brazil
  49. Peru
England above France?

Oct 28, 2017

My Japanese blows and is mostly held together with my understanding of Chinese. But one of the key findings, if it is even one because academic exercises like these often confirm what is common sense, is that the most successful countries where those who implemented restrictions and lockdowns quickly. Which confirms what you're feeling, that you got "lucky" because your government responded quickly and didn't need to require people to do the right thing.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Thailand is really solid with their response. They had explosion of cases early thanks to tourists during lunar new year but now they don't have any community spreading for almost 50 days. Lives have almost return to normalcy with mask policy still in place.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
We in Malaysia are currently in the recovering phase but there are still some stubborn asses going out with positive tags on them. We're having 10-20 daily cases this week compared to last week's 4-0 cases daily. We're able to go out but still need to follow the rules and they've implemented a report system on those who doesn't wear masks in public. Hope this keeps up and we'll be having another update in the next 4 weeks.

Nice. Up to two weeks ago my wife and I had been in Malaysia for an extended period of time (3 years) for her work. Now we're back in the UK, and it's just shocking how shit the government is. We hated the MCO, but there's no doubt that the Malaysian government (and people) were far better at seeing the crisis for what it was and treating it as a something that the whole community needed to band together against in order to get to a new normal swiftly. The UK though? British exceptionalism and "blitz spirit" means we're forced to self-isolate for two weeks because we came from a country that handled the pandemic well to one that's got people just wandering about not caring.

Where are you based? In Penang we barely saw anyone without a mask during the MCO, though that did change during the RMCO period, but not by much.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
  1. Taiwan
  2. Malaysia
  3. Hong Kong
  4. Thailand
  5. China
  6. S. Korea
  7. Australia
  8. New Zealand
  9. Japan
  10. Norway
  11. Singapore
  12. Pakistan
  13. Austria
  14. UAE
  15. Turkey
  16. Finland
  17. Denmark
  18. Qatar
  19. Argentina
  20. Indonesia
  21. Poland
  22. Saudia Arabia
  23. Egypt
  24. Germany
  25. Israel
  26. Philippines
  27. Hungry
  28. Switzerland
  29. Greece
  30. South Africa
  31. Russia
  32. Czechoslovakia
  33. ...
Pet peeve (I live here) but that's not a country and hasn't been for almost 30 years ;) The number is just for the Czech Republic/Czechia. According to Google, Slovakia would be スロバキア, which I don't think is on the list.

I'm surprised we're so low, most things here have reopened and aside from a couple of unfortunate outbreaks (including a notable large outbreak in a mining region that's currently contributing to a high % of current numbers), numbers have been pretty low/stable since April (hoping this doesn't jinx it).

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
We have those too lol. I walked by my local wet market last weekend and it was packed. Same thing with malls.

At least the resurgence of cases has finally forced the government to make masks mandatory.
I've been to central KL and a few shopping malls like pavillion and mid valley and none of them come close to the pics I've seen. If you're talking about other areas then I'll take your word for it since I don't really travel outside of Selangor.

Last edited:

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
NZ seems a bit low. It should be at least placed above Australia. NZ haven't had community transmission for a long time now while Australia are starting to get a 2nd outbreak in the Melbourne area. Even before that NZ looked to be in a better place than Australia.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Pet peeve (I live here) but that's not a country and hasn't been for almost 30 years ;) The number is just for the Czech Republic/Czechia. According to Google, Slovakia would be スロバキア, which I don't think is on the list.

I'm surprised we're so low, most things here have reopened and aside from a couple of unfortunate outbreaks (including a notable large outbreak in a mining region that's currently contributing to a high % of current numbers), numbers have been pretty low/stable since April (hoping this doesn't jinx it).
Bwahahahahaha, I had no clue there was an outbreak in 1992.

My condolences.
Sorry, I learned English in the early 90s, should have checked what it was called now.

Nice to know I'm not the only one counting 😂

The thing that bothers me the most about mask usage is the amount of people who wear them beneath their noses.

Yeah, I count, and if I see someone waiting for the train with their mask down I make sure to board at a different door.

It bothers me when people have their mask down when they are outside, but forget to pull it up when entering a crowded place.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Philippines at #26
in comparison to other Asian countries, that's quite bad

with Duterte cozing up to China, they didn't take it seriously until late March

it could have been worse if people weren't adhering to the mandatory mask policy, it's like 90%+ since there is a fine for not wearing one

Inturbulence

Oct 28, 2017
It's more apparent in the rural areas up north where SOP isn't enforced as strictly as it is in KL, Putrajaya or Selangor. I'll take photos the next time I'm out.

Yeah, I went back to visit family in Penang after being stuck in KL for 3 months last week. Crowds were back to 75% of the usual traffic, minus foreign tourists. Most people had masks, thankfully. The Jiao Sai mamak in Abu Siti Lane was absolutely heaving with people.
That said, Penang was contained pretty well. Only 120+ in total since March.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch!
So Canada had a death rate of 8.2%? That doesn't sound right.

Canada being 37 means it has an infection spread of 79%? Am I reading this wrong?

Canada, as mentioned before, is 38, so you're reading the infection spread for the wrong country. Thankfully for us!

We got decent-to-good scores for cases per capita and "infection spread" (not totally sure what this means, if they're counting this as R0 or some other measure). Death rate sounds right to me; deaths in the general population were very low but long-term care homes were hit really hard, exacerbated by terrible policy in Ontario and Quebec where workers in those homes were allowed to work multiple homes at once even into the early phases of the pandemic. We also had cases of staff completely abandoning their patients and fleeing for their own health and safety, especially in the for-profit homes.

GDP is the number I was most curious about, and it looks like we got hit relatively hard compared to the rest of the world. Hard to get a sense of whether this means we were very successful in locking down the country, or if it's a bad indicator because it means we couldn't deal with the current wave quickly and have to remain largely locked down, or something else entirely/a mix of multiple things.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I know about England and US but what is happening in France? Haven't heard anything about them

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I know about England and US but what is happening in France? Haven't heard anything about them

It really depends on how a country respond at the start. You're naturally going to get high cases and death rates if you wait till it's burning down your house.

The impact is compounded if you're one of those major economies deeply connected to the world with lots of travellers.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

_113021196_tv062069376.jpg

Thousands of people gathered across France on Sunday to celebrate an annual music festival, defying coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

Revellers ignored social distancing rules and danced in the streets for the Fête de la Musique, known as Music Day in English.

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: French defy lockdown with Festival of Music

Thousands gathered across France and ignored social distancing rules to celebrate the annual event.