• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Via SoraNews24
soranews24.com

Boys’ love at the temple? Sensual ikemen art that raised eyebrows in Japan now set to be removed

Modern makeover at centuries-old temple comes to an end, but not for rumoured reasons.
More pics and info above; select excerpts below.

Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-3.jpg

For the past couple of years, our reporter Saya Togashi has been interested in visiting a temple in Japan with bewitching paintings unlike anything usually found at a religious site. Dubbed the "Ikemen Sensual Picture Scroll", the artwork is said to be amazing in many ways, and once she heard that the artwork might be removed soon, Saya wasted no time in getting herself up there to take a look at it in person. [...]

There, sheltered in the shadows cast by the eaves of the old building, were spectacular images of a fantastical world, populated mostly by handsome men.

These weren't just any random characters though – the subjects here are all important luminaries with ties to the temple, which dates back to 1300. The main players are: Amida Nyorai, also known as the Buddha of Limitless Light; Uesugi Kenshin (1530-1578), a powerful daimyo; Ryokwan (1758–1831), a hermit monk; Shuten-doji, a mythical demon; Minamoto no Yoshitsune (1159-1189), a powerful military commander; and Benkei (1155-1189), a Japanese warrior monk. [...]

The artist who drew these stunning images is Ryoko Kimura, a contemporary Japanese painter who specializes in erotic male paintings. These paintings at the temple sprang from the notion of what it would be like if the five characters tied to the temple's history, all from different eras, were brought together to co-exist at the same time. [...]

Still, the murals have courted controversy, with some people saying they're "not suitable for temples" and "not good for education". The situation is further complicated by the fact that Kokujoji is designated as a cultural property of the Tsubame City Board of Education, which raises the question of who the temple belongs to, and who has a say in what happens to it. [...]

However, the head priest at Kokujoji believes there's a good reason for the murals, and that's to attract people to the temple. Kokujoji is already known for its "flame wars memorial service", a ceremony that puts online flaming to rest for your social media accounts, so it knows how to adapt its centuries-old heritage to the modern-day needs of worshippers.

Recently, there have been reports claiming that the murals will be removed after the public display of relics at the temple scheduled for this autumn, following requests by the Tsubame City Board of Education to return the building to its original state. So we asked the temple's head priest, Kotetsu Yamada, about the future of the art directly, to which he replied:

"Because of the humid environment around the temple, we were worried that the mural will become mouldy and worm-eaten, so we initially thought it would be displayed until the display of relics this autumn.

However, due to various reasons, the display of relics was postponed until the Year of the Horse in five years' time. There are concerns that the mural will become worn out within those five years if left as it is, though, so we're thinking of removing it by the spring, but it can still be viewed until the end of Golden Week."

So there you have it — the murals really do appear to be coming down in the near future, but according to the temple's head priest, it's not for the reasons many suspect. While it's unclear what will become of the paintings after they're removed, the concerns expressed by Yamada regarding their preservation suggest that they'll be protected in some way, and who knows – they might be used to help attract worshippers at other temples, like a travelling exhibition spreading the word of Japan's most handsome historical and mythical men.

Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-14.jpg
Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-9.jpg

Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-10.jpg
Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-5.jpg

Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-13.jpg
Boys-love-manga-image-Japanese-temple-art-Niigata-Kokujoji-Ikemen-Sensual-Picture-Scroll-religion-art-controversy-travel-news-8.jpg

Although I find the reasoning a liiiitttle dubious (but outdoor art is definitely hard to preserve!), it does raise a the question about art ownership and the ongoing issues of displaying pieces that might upset people. I really don't think this should be considered upsetting (on the contrary!); but indeed the somewhat risque subject matter of the works being tied to a public space can still spark some debate.

.... Meanwhile, at least it will be immortalized in photos! And hopefully preserved by the artist or temple in some way. This was really fun and unique idea for artwork, and they all these cool dudes seem to be having a good time. 🍻

If old, banish this topic (but keep it up for posterity!)

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That first painting looks like they're on a water slide getting photographed by a camera, lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the content was a primary reason for removing them they wouldn't have been up for several years, I can't tell exactly when they were made but the article implies they've been there for a while.

Given that they're mounted on the outside of the temple, even if protected by the deep eaves, they will still age relatively quickly and so rotating them is probably for the best if they intend to preserve them for the future.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as all the murals are obviously fine and only a serious homophobe/prude would be the type to have a serious problem, my favorite is the non-sexual yet still intimate flute playing picture ( not even as erotic as the wind instrument scene between Fassbender and himself in Alien:Covenant) that was teh last picture in the photos. It has a real sense of not just intimacy and serenity, but also the calmness and steadfastness of friendship and the fact that masculine friendships don't have to be competitive dickgrabbing (though there is nothing wrong with competitive dickgrabbing if that's your thing, at least as long as you don't try to force into others. Some of the more uncomfortable moments I have had as a closeted trans person was unwillling forced engagement in such competitive male bonding and physicality, so this picture being teh opposite is pretty nice).

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As much as all the murals are obviously fine and only a serious homophobe/prude would be the type to have a serious problem, my favorite is the non-sexual yet still intimate flute playing picture ( not even as erotic as the wind instrument scene between Fassbender and himself in Alien:Covenant) that was teh last picture in the photos. It has a real sense of not just intimacy and serenity, but also the calmness and steadfastness of friendship and the fact that masculine friendships don't have to be competitive dickgrabbing (though there is nothing wrong with competitive dickgrabbing if that's your thing, at least as long as you don't try to force into others. Some of the more uncomfortable moments I have had as a closeted trans person was unwillling forced engagement in such competitive male bonding and physicality, so this picture being teh opposite is pretty nice).

This is a great write-up, explaining really why it's appealing and giving us a bit of a personal perspective too. Thanks Jess77!

Indeed! I kinda like these because aside from the somewhat sensual vibe these give off, I like more that they're rather tranquil, pleasant, and good-spirited (seeing everyone smiling really sends out positive vibes; and I can't help but smile seeing it too). This generally feels like a side of male bonding we don't often see depicted (especially publicly).

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
these are great! it's a damn shame that these are being taken down.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I welcome this future where all temple walls are adorned by anime art. Make every temple like a pixev gallary.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying, these murals would go for a lot at auction AND raise funds for the temple. Maybe even have them scanned/photographed as an artbook if they're truly getting the boot.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Would you be equally upset about their removal if they displayed women instead of men?

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would you be equally upset about their removal if they displayed women instead of men?

Framing is what's really important here. If the women are framed in a similar sensual yet amicable way, then no.

If the content was a primary reason for removing them they wouldn't have been up for several years, I can't tell exactly when they were made but the article implies they've been there for a while.

Given that they're mounted on the outside of the temple, even if protected by the deep eaves, they will still age relatively quickly and so rotating them is probably for the best if they intend to preserve them for the future.

Well said!! I had my cynicism, but indeed, exposed to the elements, rotating them is going to be the best idea... I think it hinges on what kind of art might replace it too.

Dec 30, 2020
This is some genuinely amazing art.

I also love the idea that this temple had an order of monks and priests who, rather than banish demons, just loved them so damn right that the demons mellowed out and became cool dudes to hang with.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, antagonism
You should just say what you're trying to say.

Are you implying that depicting women in art does not deserve the same consideration as when men are depicted? If so, thats disgusting. Especially considering the still quite awful state of female representation across a wide varity of media.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Are you implying that depicting women in art does not deserve the same consideration as when men are depicted? If so, thats disgusting. Especially considering the still quite awful state of female representation across a wide varity of media.
You haven't actually said what you're trying to say, instead speaking in an unwarranted accusatory tone by inferring what others are saying. Speak directly.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it is for the best. The art is great and very well done. Instead of letting it get ruined it is best to display them indoors somewhere (would have been cool if they displayed it in the temple's interiors).

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Some fucking banging art there. I'd probably put that entire one with a dragon in my apartment if I could fit it.

Get it someplace safe and then put it back up on display!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
However, the head priest at Kokujoji believes there's a good reason for the murals, and that's to attract people to the temple. Kokujoji is already known for its "flame wars memorial service", a ceremony that puts online flaming to rest for your social media accounts, so it knows how to adapt its centuries-old heritage to the modern-day needs of worshippers.​

Maybe we should adopt this flame wars memorial service forever.

That's dope art, and hope it's preserved in the future like they seem to be implying.

just guys being dudes
Just dudes being guys

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"not good for education"

wtf these are the most educational murals I've ever seen >:(