• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the LDP are the right-wing party. Its just that the DPJ imploded and the other minority parties are their own version of batshit.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Keep in mind that "declining health" is often just a code in cases like this. It gives them an out and lets them save a little face. I personally don't believe that his health is the real reason he's resigning, but of course I could be wrong. I mean, he stepped down in 2007 because of diarrhea. Really?

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
why would he look for an out at this moment though? Isn't he on a polling high due to his handling of the pandemic? Honest question

edit: just read a newspaper article on this. it's quite the opposite and he polls low due to his handling

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to say good riddance, but I have no expectations that whomever comes next won't be just as bad as he is.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Did he force himself to hang on long enough to take the title of longest serving prime minister? He got that title only a few days ago.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Will the center left party win at the next election? Far left? Admittedly I don't really know Japanese politics

Not a chance in hell. Japan is an extremely conservative electorate. The conservative LDP (Liberal Democratic party) has only been out of power for about five years since 1955 - once in 1993-94, and again between 2009-2012. Their only serious opposition in recent times was the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ), which governed in 2009-12 but has since split.

Interestingly though they have a very high turnover of leaders. The LDP has big internal factions and there are regularly changes of Prime Minister mid-term. Most Prime Ministers are lucky to get two years.

Shinzo Abe is, believe it or not, the longest serving Japanese Prime minister ever (8 years and 8 months if you include his brief first term in 2006-07).

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Yea but like fuck Abe and his politics. Though him resigning won't change much overall I think.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Good riddance.

Technically Abe's party is the 'Liberal Democratic Party'.

Far left as in American terms though not a chance in hell.

Names don't mean anything when it comes to political parties. The LDP is pretty hard right.

In Australia the main conservative party is called the Liberal Party.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance.

Names don't mean anything when it comes to political parties. The LDP is pretty hard right.

In Australia the main conservative party is called the Liberal Party.

That's because liberalism doesn't really have to be about social politics.

If you're a capitalist you're a liberal.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Would be great if more people knew about what they are discussing: Abe has had underlying health conditions his whole life which have already resulted in him giving up the PM role once back in 2007. This time though due to his age and the length of his role (Just over 2800 days), I doubt we will see him return.

There must have been rumours about this happening soon as the DPP have been attempting to combine with the CDP to form a larger voting block (it just needs to be approved)

It would be great to have a woman in place but Japan is worse than the UK for having old boys clubs in politics - the best you're going to get is Koike, but she just won her election for governing Tokyo, so won't be able to do it - plus she isn't all that much more different to the current style of politics at the moment.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
why would he look for an out at this moment though? Isn't he on a polling high due to his handling of the pandemic? Honest question

edit: just read a newspaper article on this. it's quite the opposite and he polls low due to his handling

I see you've already edited, but Abe's handling of COVID is just about the worst of any leader aside from Trump. After his stupid mask fiasco, he's basically gone into hiding, leaving the Tokyo Governor, Yuriko Koike, to be the national face for fighting COVID. He's been a coward throughout this entire ordeal.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
That's because liberalism doesn't really have to be about social politics.

If you're a capitalist you're a liberal.
Yes, and that's precisely the reason the Liberal Party is called what it is. We often have to distinguish between the two as capital L Liberals and lowercase l liberals.

But my point is it can be counterintuitive, so calling the LDP left wing because of the name of their party makes no sense.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that "declining health" is often just a code in cases like this. It gives them an out and lets them save a little face. I personally don't believe that his health is the real reason he's resigning, but of course I could be wrong. I mean, he stepped down in 2007 because of diarrhea. Really?

I'm not defending Abe here (he can fuck off in general), but he has ulcerative colitis. As someone who also has ulcerative colitis, it's far from just "diarrhea".

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Just breaking allegedly

Tweet text from The Japan Times: "Prime MInister Shinzo Abe to resign due to his health, NHK reports"

thumbnail.gif

Well, that was unexpected!

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Abe isn't the problem. The issue is nobody really cares about or talk about politics here in Japan. It's discouraged to even bring up the subject of politics. I had a friend here once with whom I brought up some issues and he quickly got annoyed and replied "that's just how things are" and that about sums the level of political analysis that most people engage with. He was angry for the rest of the day.

People take a neutral discussion on politics personally and if you push even the slightest they'll just say something about personal values and then the discussion is over.
Another friend of mine is actually informed and very open minded, which again is super rare here. His take is that Japanese people love rules, and that systems here tend to optimize for the rules themselves rather than the thing the rules were supposed to do in the first place. I think that's true.

Overall it's just disappointing. I lived here in 2003 for a year, then 2005. Then came back in 2017. It's almost as if the country hasn't changed at all. There are many great things to love about Japan, but it's an extremely stagnant country and talking to people here they don't seem to even think about or imagine how society could be better. Things are just the way things are...

I think much of it boils down to the educational system which is great in a few areas but abysmal for creating citizens who figure out what is wrong about society and then do something about it. The educational system here if anything is optimized for the opposite. Which makes sense, considering japan is effectively a one-party state so why would the people in power want to change a single thing about it?

Last edited:

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what the people in this thread celebrating Abe's resignation think will happen. We're gonna get Aso and he's legitimately batshit and has diarrhea of the mouth.

At least Abe has decorum and has maintained control of the LDP for the good part of 8 years.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what the people in this thread celebrating Abe's resignation think will happen. We're gonna get Aso and he's legitimately batshit and has diarrhea of the mouth.

At least Abe has decorum and has maintained control of the LDP for the good part of 8 years.
Aso looks like an evil movie villain.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
No, you actually don't want anyone to win. The leftwing in Japan barely exists.
There's a communist party, I guess.

There's also Isshin who appeal to the younger people but its not what you think appealing to young folks means.

Aso looks like an evil movie villain.

He's said some really stupid shit and was a laughingstock the first time around.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Abe isn't the problem. The issue is nobody really cares about or talk about politics here in Japan. It's discouraged to even bring up the subject of politics. I had a friend here once with whom I brought up some issues and he quickly got annoyed and replied "that's just how things are" and that about sums the level of political analysis that most people engage with. He was angry for the rest of the day.

People take even a neutral discussion on politics personally and if you push even the slightest they'll just say something about personal values and then the discussion is over.
Another friend of mine is actually informed and very open minded, which again is super rare here. His take is that Japanese people love rules, and that systems here tend to optimize for the rules themselves rather than the thing the rules were supposed to do in the first place. I think that's true.

Overall it's just disappointing. I lived here in 2003 for a year, then 2005. Then came back in 2017. It's almost as if the country hasn't changed at all. There's great things about japan, but it's extremely stagnant and talking to people here they don't seem to even think about or imagine how society could be better. It's just the way things are...

I think much of it boils down to the educational system which is great in a few limited cases but abysmal for creating citizens who figure out what is wrong about society and then do something about it. Which makes sense, considering japan is effectively a one-party state so why would the people in power want to change a single thing about it?

This mirrors 13 years of ongoing experience in Japan for me. Political discourse outside educational circles is a kiss of death to one's social life.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
No one talks about politics in Japan the same way no one talks about it in the US. Most people just don't give a shit.
I don't know what friends you have that would otherize you for doing it unless you wouldn't stop trying to bring it up or something equally socially wrong thing.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
If the manga Sanctuary taught me anything, is that in Japan the party leader has more power than the actual prime minister.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
This mirrors 13 years of ongoing experience in Japan for me. Political discourse outside educational circles is a kiss of death to one's social life.

Yep, that's pretty much my experience, too.

It's not just politics. I find that it's also the case with societal problems in general.

I agree that the education system has a lot to do with it. The crazy work lives of many people here doesn't help either.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Cliffnotes on Japanese politics?

All I know is people kinda don't like how Abe's handled COVID and the Tokyo governor has kinda been compared to Comey in that aspect.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
A very short summary of Japan is that its a super conservative country where the youth don't vote at all. Only conservatives win and the LDP has had a death grip on power since forever.
Being happy Abe is gone is one thing but when his replacements are probably all worse then its not really something to be excited about.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah the parties other than LDP kinda screwed up a few years ago and all hope was extinguished. Eh...not really expecting anything to change really.

lmao my family is happy due to this news...

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
When the most exciting thing about Japanese politics is Nippon Isshin who are even further right than Abe, you got a problem.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Here's a fun fact: Ishiba, the person voted most popular to replace him is an idol otaku. :D

He's also a warhawk and have been compared to Donald Rumsfeld in the past so...

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fun fact: Ishiba, the person voted most popular to replace him is an idol otaku. :D

Seems Abe wants to prevent Ishiba succeeding him:
www.japantimes.co.jp

Article expired

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More

Influential politicians close to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have started raising doubts about promoting Fumio Kishida, the ruling party's policy chief, as a potential successor to Abe.

The clout of Kishida, chairman of the Liberal Democratic Party's Policy Research Council, is not said to be growing within the party.

Plans have emerged to back Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga instead of Kishida, in an effort in line with Abe's wishes to prevent former LDP Secretary-General Shigeru Ishiba from taking power, sources familiar with the situation said.

"He would lose to Ishiba" in an LDP leadership race, an aide to Abe said of Kishida, revealing a sense of crisis.

One Cabinet member who is highly trusted by Abe said it would be better to have Suga succeed Abe. Suga has some support within the LDP and a good relationship with LDP Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai.

Abe is said to have been aware of concerns over Kishida but is hesitant to withdraw his support of the party policy chief.