• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should at least contact the staff for clarification on the other games rather than have this state of constant anxiety about our OTs being possibly in danger of being closed any time.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
And yet you play the game , it's ok to give a pass if it's on the game that you play I see

If this is your gotcha moment, it doesn't quite land. I am not going to waste a single pull on Lilibet, and if the trend of sexualized children continues past her character, will sever my ties with the game forever. I have been playing E7 since launch, but it wouldn't be the first time I have quit a game over this.

That said, I remain doubtful that gacha games will be sanctioned for one or two bad apples among their designs. But go ahead and ask staff, maybe they'll enjoy looking into the game some more.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
If there is an arguable difference between FGO and AL (and similar marry-em-alls), it would be that out of around 250 characters in FGO (including all Servants with an ID plus other characters), the amount of clearly underage ones is less than ten, and the amount of ones you could argue are "sexualized" are less than five, and the amount of those that REALLY lean into that are basically just one, and that one character only shows up in a single event and almost never again outside of one or two very small bits. It's gross, but not ever-present or anything worse than you might find in something like Danganronpa at its lowest. You could argue it would be bannable, but there are a ton of games that would also be bannable in that case (Danganronpa, arguably Fire Emblem cause of Nowi, etc.).

Meanwhile in Azur Lane you can "marry" any character in the game and there's a sexual "special touch" line for all of them no matter how young they look. And there's like, dozens of these characters.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
And yet you play the game , it's ok to give a pass if it's on the game that you play I see

Still a loli with skinny outfit, there's no way you have a problem with Azur Lane and not with Lilibeth

The difference is tho that lilibet is a outlier with an awful design while azur lane (which i even played for some time during its jp release (belfast best maid)) has dozens of it and you can marry them.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head Granblue seems fairly mild but the cast is fucking gigantic so I'm probably just forgetting some

Off the top of my head I remember Yaia's 5* addition being rather uncomfortable for some but I would personally say that's not remotely the same kind of scope as AL.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
If this is your gotcha moment, it doesn't quite land. I am not going to waste a single pull on Lilibet, and if the trend of sexualized children continues past her character, will sever my ties with the game forever. I have been playing E7 since launch, but it wouldn't be the first time I have quit a game over this.

That said, I remain doubtful that gacha games will be sanctioned for one or two bad apples among their designs. But go ahead and ask staff, maybe they'll enjoy looking into the game some more.

It's pretty clear you are a big hypocrite, that's what I meant

The difference is tho that lilibet is a outlier with an awful design while azur lane (which i even played for some time during its jp release (belfast best maid)) has dozens of it and you can marry them.

So it's ok if it is only one?

KCS

Oct 27, 2017

Why didn't you just cut ties with Azur Lane and leave it at that? You can't even commit to saying that you would be calling for E7's ban, just that you would stop playing the game.

AnotherMiss

Oct 25, 2017

Did you forget SG added Dizzy recently and her whole backstory from Guilty Gear? Then you have Luluca and Lilibet who are new characters for this story arc.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
I think Epic 7 Lilibeth looks ridiculous, maybe distasteful, but not inappropriate, and that's where there is a difference.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My personal feelings on matters are that if the game isn't banned on retail/digital stores or an adult-only title (obviously), that it should be fair to discuss. Regardless of whether someone might have issues with the game, as long as it's not illegal or breaking any laws, it should be okay. But hey, it's not my website. I don't make the rules.

For the record, I've yet to marry anyone in Azur Lane and I've been playing since launch. If I were ever to give someone a ring it'd be Akagi/Kaga/Atago/Takao/Amagi/etc., but the rings are too valuable so I've been hoarding them all

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear you are a big hypocrite, that's what I meant
Why didn't you just cut ties with Azur Lane and leave it at that? You can't even commit to saying that you would be calling for E7's ban, just that you would stop playing the game.

Look, guys. I outed myself as the person who requested the ban so I could tell you why the game takes things a step too far compared to other gacha games. Most of them have problematic elements - and the staff knows this - but there is levels to everything. Azur Lane takes it too far and isn't being subtle about it. You can harass me all you want, but this is not the gacha apocalypse you make it out to be. The FEH OT as well as others will still be here a month from now.

Your insistence of bringing up a character that is a first in a game I play and doesn't at all put E7 on the same level as Azur Lane speaks volumes about your lack of empathy in regards to the topic of child objectification. Your game was taken away, and you're throwing a tantrum.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
The more concerning precedent for me is the closure of Kancolle. I wasn't aware it was as egregious as AL in those aspects.

AnotherMiss

Oct 25, 2017
Your insistence of bringing up a character that is a first in a game I play and doesn't at all put E7 on the same level as Azur Lane speaks volumes about your lack of empathy in regards to the topic of child objectification. Your game was taken away, and you're throwing a tantrum.
So what's the ratio of objectionable content to acceptable before it's no good?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I just want to say I think Azur Lane goes way further than a lot of the other gachas posted in this forum, so it's understandable why the mods don't want to have it here. But I'm not sure why Kancolle was banned too. I don't think it's as egregious as AL.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As one of the few (in)active posters that posted in KC thread every 3-4 months about event mechanics. Fine I understand why but those reasons has never leaked in the thread. If game OTs are getting nuke for marriages or dating reasons, I would expect no double standards and any games that has anything similar be also ban.

Of course, there will be double standards and we get screwed over...

I'd wager a marriage mechanic involving children is a good cut-off line.
So I can request that FE be ban right then if there are marriage or dating reasons in the new FE? Dating mechanics like in Persona series is fine or banable btw?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel stupider having to google what was going on, that thread on the old site is a special kind of dumb.

Lilibet is unacceptable, and I'd like her to not exist. I find it worrisome that a character like her would be introduced into the game as I fear it could be the start of a trend. Child characters can be done tastefully like Pyllis, but the intent in Lilibet's design and who it is meant to appeal to is clear as day. On the bright side, at least no 30 year old can marry her, so that's something?

"The start of a trend"? what about Ravi who is more or less entirely naked, Maid Chloe, Kitty Clarissa, Achates or the current banner unit Luluca? (And thats just the "loli" designs, what about nearly all the female character designs? Good old Commander Lorina going into battle in her bra and panties and its genuinely hard to think of female characters who dont have suspenders) It's not "the start of a trend" its a continuation of a trend thats been in the game since launch. People are kidding themselves if they think its an "outlier" (On a tangent Phyllis is a child? How can you tell anyones age in Epic 7? )

the amount of clearly underage ones is less than ten, and the amount of ones you could argue are "sexualized" are less than five, and the amount of those that REALLY lean into that are basically just one, and that one character only shows up in a single event and almost never again outside of one or two very small bits.

Those numbers seem generous, Jack (bannable for this alone I'd imagine), Helena, Shuten-Doji, Illya, Chloe and Elisabeth (brave) all seem unequivocally sexualised.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager a marriage mechanic involving children is a good cut-off line.

Then I'm not sure why we should be confident in FEH staying. The imagery of summoner/ally S rank support very closely resembles a marriage ceremony, and you could do that with the child characters. Sanaki even comes ready made with a fitting bridal gown!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there marriage in the new Fire Emblem: Three Houses game coming out? I wonder if that will be banned here, but I'm not sure as to the age of the characters so it might be allowed?

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of a game where the goal is to collect women like Pokemon, including underage characters should be grounds already for discussion to be banned, yet here we are. Fire Emblem shouldn't be safe since you can marry and procreate with the underage characters as well in the 3DS games.

Edit: Removed the word "enslave", as pointed out by a user that is a bit hyperbolic. Its still stands that regardless of the story reasons, you're still collecting people, reducing them to an object to be gained.

Last edited:

okita

Oct 25, 2017
Look, guys. I outed myself as the person who requested the ban so I could tell you why the game takes things a step too far compared to other gacha games. Most of them have problematic elements - and the staff knows this - but there is levels to everything. Azur Lane takes it too far and isn't being subtle about it. You can harass me all you want, but this is not the gacha apocalypse you make it out to be. The FEH OT as well as others will still be here a month from now.

Here is the AL thread check how many times I posted there

I'm not throwing a tantrum at all because of it. I don't care about the tread being closed, but i can't let your hypocrisy pass without pointing it out , Lilibeth is one example there is others like others pointed out

AnotherMiss

Oct 25, 2017
"The start of a trend"? what about Ravi who is more or less entirely naked, Maid Chloe, Kitty Clarissa, Achates or the current banner unit Luluca? (And thats just the "loli" designs, what about nearly all the female character designs? Good old Commander Lorina going into battle in her bra and panties and its genuinely hard to think of female characters who dont have suspenders) It's not "the start of a trend" its a continuation of a trend thats been in the game since launch. People are kidding themselves if they think its an "outlier" (On a tangent Phyllis is a child? How can you tell anyones age in Epic 7? )
Speaking of Kitty Clarissa, remember her origins? She got even younger too when her moonlight counterpart finally released.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a game where the goal is to collect and enslave women like Pokemon, including underage characters should be grounds already for discussion to be banned, yet here we are. Fire Emblem shouldn't be safe since you can marry and procreate with the underage characters as well in the 3DS games.

Hey now, enslavement is a bit of a loaded term when a lot of these games present it as recruiting companions for a journey. Also quite a number of us play the games for the male character designs too. I know that I do.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): hostility
It's kind of fucked up if you guys are trying to get other people's homes burned down. Just realize you have a Narc in your presence. Put them on ignore and then you dont even have to acknowledge their existence. Then move on.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Yet, their appearance isn't objectionable enough itself? Along with Lilibeth, Luluca, and Dizzy. We're talking borderlines then.

Sure, you can argue that. Personally, I have a tolerance level a bit higher than those three being a thing, but I won't tell you your concerns are misplaced. So if you are not just trying to paint me as a hypocrite right now but feel that way yourself, feel free to report it. I am not judge nor executioner.

"The start of a trend"? what about Ravi who is more or less entirely naked, Maid Chloe, Kitty Clarissa, Achates or the current banner unit Luluca? (And thats just the "loli" designs, what about nearly all the female character designs? Good old Commander Lorina going into battle in her bra and panties) It's not "the start of a trend" its a continuation of a trend thats been in the game since launch. People are kidding themselves if they think its an "outlier" (On a tangent Phyllis is a child? How can you tell anyones age in Epic 7? )

While I am not a fan of big-breasted characters like Lorina, Silk or Luna that exist only to pop boners, and do not use any of them for that reason, at least they are adult characters. I hope you can see the difference in that to what we are discussing right now. As for Pyllis, she seems to be a friend of Ravi's that both were turned into wraiths at a young age, so I assume she is of similar age.

Here is the AL thread check how many times I posted there

I'm not throwing a tantrum at all because of it. I don't care about the tread being closed, but i can't let your hypocrisy pass without pointing it out , Lilibeth is one example there is others like others pointed out

Sure. Keep berating me for asking a game that allows the player to marry children be banned. A worthy cause.

I mean you can essentially marry characters in FE too, so you might want to report that too and make even more friends

I wasn't aware this was about making friends. I am not losing sleep over people here disagreeing with me about my decision to report the game. I think Azur Lane is abhorrent and am happy this site chose not to be a platform for it any longer.

mod post - concerning recent game bans

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We would like to reiterate that we have no intention of banning all gatcha games -- the two that were banned were judged to have particularly egregious content and/or mechanics that were difficult to ignore. We do not see this as a slippery slope situation or something that extends to the genre as a whole.

There is no need to attack each other over this or abuse the report/contact systems to retaliate against other members or OTs.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We would like to reiterate that we have no intention of banning all gatcha games -- the two that were banned were judged to have particularly egregious content and/or mechanics that were difficult to ignore. We do not see this as a slippery slope situation or something that extends to the genre as a whole.

There is no need to attack each other over this or abuse the report/contact systems to retaliate against other members or OTs.

Are you able to elaborate what said content and mechanics that made it difficult to ignore and why some of the popular games, sans E7 and FEH and FGO, aren't getting the axe. I don't disagree with the post. Just looking for some more elaboration with specificity so we can put all this to rest.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
A blanket 'sexualized children are not okay' ban might be the right approach here. A firm standard built on what is fairly objectively true - sexualizing children is bad - should lead to equal enforcement, which should lead to fewer disputes and report button abuse and whatnot.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find marriage mechanics in gacha games cringy at best but I dont really see a meaningful difference between "This image is offensive" and "This image is offensive but is somehow worse because you can pretend marry it." The offensive part is surely the image not its fictional context?

While I am not a fan of big-breasted characters like Lorina, Silk or Luna that exist only to pop boners, and do not use any of them for that reason, at least they are adult characters. I hope you can see the difference in that to what we are discussing right now. As for Pyllis, she seems to be a friend of Ravi's that both were turned into wraiths at a young age, so I assume she is of similar age.

Sure, the difference is obvious, it was more of a tangent. My main point was that young female sexualised character design was part of Epic 7 since launch (e.g. Ravi) and not a recent trend or outlier.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Azur Lane, it was a combination of ubiquitous imagery, dialogue, and mechanics. KanColle was much the same. We will not post image examples for obvious reasons, but we feel these would be edge cases in any genre.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Removed the word "enslave", as pointed out by a user that is a bit hyperbolic. Its still stands that regardless of the story reasons, you're still collecting people, reducing them to an object to be gained.
Looking at it from an objective manner, pretty much. Gacha games inherently are gambling with characters as the reward. Characters that are then reduced to a collection of attributes, and thrown into tier lists for people to decide whether to keep them or trash them. Characters that don't make the cut are sacrificed without a care to build up other characters. Sometimes exceptions are made based on whether the owner likes the way they look, and sometimes an exception might even be influenced by their personality - assuming said character is actually developed beyond a paper thin trope. Then generally add in some form of relationship system where you can raise your status with every one of them without any chance of them objecting.

Honestly if you judge the mechanics by real life terms, instead of as works of fiction not meant to be taken seriously, they are all pretty horrible. Of course therein lies the crux of the issue - judging them by reality when they are about as detached from reality as you can get in plot, style, and premise.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Keep berating me for asking a game that allows the player to marry children be banned. A worthy cause.

I won't lie I think it's pointless , ban from here won't change the fact that people will keep playing the game , it still exists and it's out there, so if you are feeling good with yourself you should re evaluate it and being a hypocrite is not great either

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie I think it's pointless , ban from here won't change the fact that people will keep playing the game , it still exists and it's out there, so if you are feeling good with yourself you should re evaluate it and being an hypocrite is not great either

I disagree. Look up the term 'deplatforming' please.

Sure, the difference is obvious, it was more of a tangent. My main point was that young female sexualised character design was part of Epic 7 since launch (e.g. Ravi) and not a recent trend or outlier.

This is my personal opinion, but there is levels to everything. Ravi was the worst offender before, but Lilibet is so much worse. Like I said, every gacha comes with baggage, but E7 kept it low. If Lilibet is the start of a new wave of lolis, count me the fuck out.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I find marriage mechanics in gacha games cringy at best but I dont really see a meaningful difference between "This image is offensive" and "This image is offensive but is somehow worse because you can pretend marry it." The offensive part is surely the image not its fictional context?

I think I agree... I find it rather strange that sexualization of characters that are minors (or physically appear to be such) seems to be fine unless it also has a pretend marriage aspect that instantly lands it on a banlist.

I also agree with the other part of the discussion where I'm a bit puzzled as to how much "deplatforming" a thread with three posts a week is going to accomplish when active daily discussion on Reddit, Twitter, Discord and such persists.

Edit: Just so that there are no misunderstandings - my own solution would be to just ban those images, like how the official FGO Discord is doing, rather than the entire OTs wholesale.

Last edited: