• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off, this is partially related to the issue that recently cropped up in the Goemon Fan Translation thread which is why I'm making this thread, so might be best to keep the whole discussion there for now, though feel free to discuss the issue here (of course)

Second, given my experience watching a lot of anime (and playing a ton of Japanese video games) as a Gay man, it's been an interesting experience, to say the least. Both good and bad, and largely the latter. I felt we could have a discussion about the issues present in Japanese media in this thread and specifically talk about the problems that come up here. While I believe we've had focus more on the Western side, I wanted to talk about some issues that have cropped up over the decades (and some as recent as within the last decade).

That said, there's actually a reason I wanted to make this thread in the first place.

I recently watched the first episode of Ultimate Zero Battle Spirits, which is a long ongoing Card Game series by Bandai and Sunrise/BN Pictures. While the anime has been on break for a bit now (with a new project this year), I decided to check out one particular series I always had interest in, due to it's unique art style (which isn't nearly as common place in anymore anymore).

unknown.png

Anyways, a little over halfway, we get introduced to the Time Bokan style gang (think Team Rocket for those unfamiliar), Ginga Sanba Garasu, who attempt to steal this kid's compass. One of the characters, Hashibuto, is an extremely effeminate and non-binary character, who is... I'll be blunt, problematic in various ways.

Character in Question:
unknown.png

I knew about them going into the series, but I'd been hoping they'd avoid some of the more serious issues. Anyways, they do their song and dance (literally), similar to the various trio introductions, and then it ends with probably the most tasteless and offensive joke they could make.

I'm just gonna link to my tweet in question, which includes the video and follow up scene:

Not only does "Mugen" (the red monster creature) say "You know, that's kinda gay.", it also works as a pun, using the word "Gei" (芸), meaning "Performance" "Artistic Skill". It's a double whammy and it's absolutely the worst tasteless thing that they could do.

This is a show, targeted to kids, aired next to Super Sentai, at 7AM on Sunday mornings. It also aired arguably fairly recent (between September 2013 to September 2014). The fact they got away with this, especially given networks had banned the word "Homo" from broadcasts due to it's derogatory nature, really irritates me to no end, especially when the queer community now uses the English word "Gay" in Japan, rather than the older term.

While there's becoming more and more LGBTQ+ friendly shows/series in Japan, over the years, there's obviously still issues present in media there.

Anyways, does anyone have any examples (both positive and negative) to share here? Would absolutely like to hear it.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
AI The Somnium files is a bit interesting... it does have the character of Mama, who is pretty heavily based on fairly well-trodden Okama stereotypes (the cross-dressing bartender, usually fat and big), but it treats her fairly bluntly as an explicitly transgender woman, nobody shows any antipathy towards her, and there's this fairly direct dialogue option if you ask one of the main characters about her:

There's also a few other plot-relevant LGBT things throughout which the game addresses fairly matter-of-factly.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Carole & Tuesday tries to normalize it's queer characters and features a wealth of positive representation. It was always on my list (creator is Shinichiro Wantanabe of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo fame) but seeing people in the LGBTQ+ community praise it was really encouraging.

I will caution that not everyone is pleased with how it handles certain characters. Many of the characters in the show's universe are gay, bi, trans or gender neutral but there is a storyline about an abusive parent that some take issue with.

There is also a talent show mini arc with androgynous "Mermaid Sisters" that are used as a punchline. The joke is around the song they sing rather than how they present but I can completely understand why it bothered some viewers.

Outside of those two scenes, C&T is leaps and bounds beyond any other anime I've seen for LGBTQIA representation.

It's not perfect but I recommend looking into it.

En Avant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Japanese media gets a bad reputation for transphobia but Hourou Musuko, Bokura no Hentai (before you roll your eyes, it's not hentai, the title translates to "Our Transformations"), and Umineko no Naku Kori ni were all transgender focused narratives that I felt were much better written and handled than any western media I've ever watched or read, and two of those are well over a decade old.

Even some heavily Trans-coded otokonoko characters while treated poorly and as the butt of insensitive jokes in their respective stories I found a lot more relatable and inspiring than most depictions in western media at the time, especially 10 years ago as a young teen when examples of passing trans people were more or less completely non-existent. Most western media still really fails to present gender dysphoria in a realistic or relateable manner, and far too often conflates Trans identities with the drag scene, so as problematic as anime/manga depictions can be, I honestly have to say I prefer them most of the time.

Last edited:

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Everyone told me how great Steins;Gate was, and it was a fairly enjoyable time travel story, but maaaaaan there was this one character and their treatment in the story that kinda ruined the whole thing for me. Like, in the most charitable read of that character, perhaps the writers were just incredibly ignorant of trans issues and didn't really realize that what they were doing with them was questionable.

Like, an attempt was made to sort of address this characters own internal struggle with her gender in a way that other Japanese anime don't even try with at all. But that whole thing just really bothered me how they continually treated her like a joke, and then there was an extremely uncomfortable scene where the trans character gets groped by the main character because he mistakenly thinks she is a guy and tries to prove it? But its supposed to be funny??? Yuck.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Live action stuff is a step above manga/anime/otaku focused media.

There's been a few mainstream shows about LGBT main characters/with LGBT side-characters lately.

One of the most popular TV shows in recent years is Ossan's Love, a romcom focusing on gay men. It touches a few issues like an old married man coming out to his wife, the main character questioning his sexuality etc...

Kinou nani tabeta (based on the manga) where the main characters are a gay couple.

Joshiteki Seikatsu, a story about a transgender woman.

Ore no skirt doko itta? about a gay drag queen teaching high school kids to respect everyone's identities.

As for other media, big Japanese musicians like Hoshino Gen, Official Higedandism, King Gnu, sumika, UVERworld... have featured LGBT individuals in their music videos. Hell, the latest Kohaku (the big year-end music show) had everyone waving rainbow flags.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shimanami Tasogare is a fantastic manga about a gay teen who socializes at a lounge where all sorts of people hang out. It even has asexual representation.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
The only things recently I can think of off the top of my head that approached it in the right way is NieR: Automata and The Missing. And even those aren't perfect. But wanna give points to Yakuza for righting wrongs and endeavoring to be better than its past entries and AI: The Somnium Files for having its heart in the right place even if it relies on problematic tropes.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory accusations, whataboutism, and threadwhining
Why just Japan? Plenty of media from other countries is problematic and people et it pass. You only say this because you are a weeb and consume japanese media more than any other but just pointing at Japan seems racist.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Why just Japan? Plenty of media from other countries is problematic and people et it pass. You only say this because you are a weeb and consume japanese media more than any other but just pointing at Japan seems racist.
Then you can make a separate thread highlighting those issues.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I always say that cardcaptor sakura is one of the best things you can let a kid watch because it just treats any relationship as normal. One of the biggest parts of the show for like 75% of it is how sakura and syaoran like the same guy and get shy close to him and etc. And it's never once asked "do you like yukito? But you're a boy", he just says he likes him and everyone just nods like is the most normal thing in the world(which it is).

I think empowering media is important and should continue to grow in following years, but i do also think we need more media that just treats gay relationships as a normal fact of life. And by that i don't mean just hiding it like hollywood execs do with their 5 seconds background kisses, i mean to do it just like in sakura, in which those relationships are there all the time but are never explained to the audience because they shouldn't need to, because it's normal to just love people,no matter the gender you or they are.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I always say that cardcaptor sakura is one of the best things you can let a kid watch because it just treats any relationship as normal. One of the biggest parts of the show for like 75% of it is how sakura and syaoran like the same guy and get shy close to him and etc. And it's never once asked "do you like yukito? But you're a boy", he just says he likes him and everyone just nods like is the most normal thing in the world(which it is).

I think empowering media is important and should continue to grow in following years, but i do also think we need more media that just treats gay relationships as a normal fact of life. And by that i don't mean just hiding it like hollywood execs do with their 5 seconds background kisses, i mean to do it just like in sakura, in which those relationships are there all the time but are never explained to the audience because they shouldn't need to, because it's normal to just love people,no matter the gender you or they are.

It's unfortunate that they have the whole teacher student relationship in the series but then again they seem to depict love in the least sexual way possible.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The backstory of Aquarion is that 2 gay angels rule over the world, but then one of the angels falls in love with a human woman and betrays his gay lover to free humanity.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
It's unfortunate that they have the whole teacher student relationship in the series but then again they seem to depict love in the least sexual way possible.
Yeah,this is one of the problems the series has. The good thing is that the anime crew had to good decision of cut almost anything regarding that, iirc there is just 3 short scenes that reference it and then is gone forever.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The OP isn't being unfair and isn't being racist at all.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I remember I read something about a scene in Terrace House(japanese reality show)wherein a housemate was sick and had a full nose and apologized for sounding like an "okama". I think the scene did not get translated into english literally so the subtitles said something different.

But I feel like that would not fly in the west, at least not unchallenged.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I remember I read something about a scene in Terrace House(japanese reality show)wherein a housemate was sick and had a full nose and apologized for sounding like an "okama". I think the scene did not get translated into english literally so the subtitles said something different.

But I feel like that would not fly in the west, at least not unchallenged.
Unfortunatelly you are wrong. There's a big reality show here(in brazil) were disgusting stuff happens almost every year, and it's so much above that that we even ignore the ones on that level.

The only time i saw it challenged was when a literaly pedophile, who admited that he was a pedophile, was on it. Everything else just goes.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

Before I get to the main Point of the Thread (which is negative and positive examples how Japanese Media handles those Issues) I would like to engage with your post for a second.

I am not realy a fan of calling someone a weeb (it is term that doesn't help any discussion) especialy calling someone that while you somehow feel the need to protect Japanese culture and calling something racist that is just Criticising Part of Japanese Media. The OP is not even saying it is worse in Japan than in other Countries. And I don't realy see the need where it comes from, a big part of the thread is people giving postive examples after all.

But back to the Main Topic, a live action show I realy like was Mama wa Mukashi Papa datta. Which is about a Tran Woman who has 2 children, who can't change her Official Gender because you couldn't do it in Japan if you had children that are younger. It is a realy great show how she dealt with the Transphobia she and here children had to expirience and how she fought to change the law so people like here can change their official Gender.

And I realy liked how they handled the Love Story in the Show. The show starts with a a nieghbour moving in that starts to fall in Love with her but even when he found out she is trans there is no real "omg am I gay?" moments. He was only a little bit confused how to handle the subject because he didn't know much about. And his daughter was mostly just like "whats the big deal about it?" which I liked a lot as well.

One thing I like about the Japanese language (which influences Media that is in that Language as well), is that Pronouns are not that commanly used and people tend to rather use the Name of other People. (even though that means People that translate it will have sometimes decide for themselve which pronoun to use for trans Characters)

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wanted to focus solely on this region, due to my interest in Queer issues presented in the country. I've been following a lot what has been happening in Japan for awhile, including how things have changed over the years for LGBTQ+ community there. I'm not gonna say I pretend to understand the situation 100% (it can be hard unless you directly live in the country itself), but I do follow quite a number of people who live there (Gengoroh Tagame, SUV, etc.) online who often bring up issues locally and outside, and often follow the issues that are being discussed in those regions.

Yes, I won't hide I have interest in Japanese media a lot. I grew up watching and playing a lot of things that came from Japan as a kid. But I don't appreciate using terms such as "weeb" and being called "racist", when there's no indicator that I had any malice on the topic. That was absolutely not my intent.

I really don't appreciate your hostility in this thread and it feels like you had no other reason to come into this thread, other than to attack me and to start issues. This is not appreciated and absolutely not welcome.

EDIT: One last thing before I forget. This topic was both a topic about the good and bad things presented in the media and wasn't solely to focus on the negative. While I did start off the OP with a negative situation, it was simply because I'd literally gone done watching it and I wanted to discuss about it while it was fresh in my mind.

Many people in this thread are posting a lot of positive portrayals of Queer representation in the media over there and it's something I wanted more people to be aware of. For example: I could've honestly started the thread about "My Brother's Husband", which was a manga and got a live action series on NHK, which was done by a known Queer manga artist (largely known for his adult stuff, prior to his All Ages targeted stuff), who is also a huge advocacy for Queer issues in and outside of Japan, but I'd literally just gotten done watching an episode of Battle Spirits, which had the aforementioned scene I brought up in the OP.

Again, that was immediately fresh on my mind since I'd just finished the episode prior to making the thread and why I did focus on it in the OP.

Last edited:

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Live action stuff is a step above manga/anime/otaku focused media.

There's been a few mainstream shows about LGBT main characters/with LGBT side-characters lately.

One of the most popular TV shows in recent years is Ossan's Love, a romcom focusing on gay men. It touches a few issues like an old married man coming out to his wife, the main character questioning his sexuality etc...

Kinou nani tabeta (based on the manga) where the main characters are a gay couple.

Joshiteki Seikatsu, a story about a transgender woman.

Ore no skirt doko itta? about a gay drag queen teaching high school kids to respect everyone's identities.

As for other media, big Japanese musicians like Hoshino Gen, Official Higedandism, King Gnu, sumika, UVERworld... have featured LGBT individuals in their music videos. Hell, the latest Kohaku (the big year-end music show) had everyone waving rainbow flags.

In addition to Kurita's examples:

Kekkon Aite wa Chusen de is about Japan implementing a forced marriage lottery to promote the birthrate and the people who would suffer from this. The protagonist is your textbook awkward otaku boy who overcomes his own problems to help people understand the unfairness of this law
Fn7qNNc.png

The second season of Ie Uru Onna, a comedy show about a crazy dedicated realtor who the best in the business, has an LGBT focused episode. The plot includes a widower refusing to sell his home to a lesbian couple:
1fi2XJL.png

aWbKuB5.png

There is also Kataomoi, a mini series murder mystery centered around a transgender man and his friends from back in high school.

Highly recommend Ore no Sukato, Doko Itta? if you enjoyed GTO, very entertaining show in the same student/teacher style.
kEFQtX9.png

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah,this is one of the problems the series has. The good thing is that the anime crew had to good decision of cut almost anything regarding that, iirc there is just 3 short scenes that reference it and then is gone forever.

Sadly that isn't the only instance... because it's how Sakura's parents got together.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Want a manga that has good representation of the LGBTQ+ community and actually delves into more serious stuff, read Love me for What I am

Someone recommended this very same manga on ERA before, and it has been a blast to read.

Another good manga (and anime) is Bloom into You.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
For a manga that covers a wider range of LGTBQ+, I recommend Our Dreams at Dusk.

I also highly recommend Blue Flag.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
In addition to Kurita's examples:

Kekkon Aite wa Chusen de is about Japan implementing a forced marriage lottery to promote the birthrate and the people who would suffer from this. The protagonist is your textbook awkward otaku boy who overcomes his own problems to help people understand the unfairness of this law
Fn7qNNc.png

The second season of Ie Uru Onna, a comedy show about a crazy dedicated realtor who the best in the business, has an LGBT focused episode. The plot includes a widower refusing to sell his home to a lesbian couple:
1fi2XJL.png

aWbKuB5.png

There is also Kataomoi, a mini series murder mystery centered around a transgender man and his friends from back in high school.

Highly recommend Ore no Sukato, Doko Itta? if you enjoyed GTO, very entertaining show in the same student/teacher style.
kEFQtX9.png

Ah! Arata Furuta! Was going suggest We Married as a Job because of their role as Numata was my favorite character. I'll have to watch.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. Recent 11 episode anime that you can stream off Crunchyroll. Directed by the guy who did Utena.

I don't want to give anything away, but the show deals with the secret lives of three middle-school aged boys, along with a good dose of Japanese mythology / surrealist / musical aspects as the backdrop. There are multiple male characters with LGBT aspects to them, and none of them are treated negatively (though there's certainly a lot of campy humor, so it isn't presenting itself super seriously either).

The first episode is one of the best episodes of anime I've ever watched. If you're looking for a new anime, I'd highly recommend just diving in and seeing if it jives with you.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Clamp's manga it's always like that.
They're love add many ship as much as posible on their manga.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
AI The Somnium files is a bit interesting... it does have the character of Mama, who is pretty heavily based on fairly well-trodden Okama stereotypes (the cross-dressing bartender, usually fat and big), but it treats her fairly bluntly as an explicitly transgender woman, nobody shows any antipathy towards her, and there's this fairly direct dialogue option if you ask one of the main characters about her:

There's also a few other plot-relevant LGBT things throughout which the game addresses fairly matter-of-factly.

The voice acting and cute art style make this video extra endearing.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The only things recently I can think of off the top of my head that approached it in the right way is NieR: Automata and The Missing. And even those aren't perfect. But wanna give points to Yakuza for righting wrongs and endeavoring to be better than its past entries and AI: The Somnium Files for having its heart in the right place even if it relies on problematic tropes.

One day persona team will be less shit... one day.

Amazes me Yakuza team can be so good on one hand while Atlus is in the other corner of the metaphorical sega building still going 'lol gayyyyyyyy'

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Clamp's manga it's always like that.
They're love add many ship as much as posible on their manga.
Not just them, its a popular thrope in Shoujo and Josei manga. Like the first time I saw it was in Kodocha, where the mc basically adopted a twenty year hobo to be her boyfriend, and one of the recurring jokes was to call him her pimp. Another example is Shugo Chara where one of the mc (who is 13) potential love interest was an 18 years old.

Deleted member 25702

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, looking forward to checking some of these. Kinou Nani Tabeta is pretty cute so far.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much like in the west, media by queer creators in Japan does exist, just a lot of it isn't mainstream and doesn't necessarily get translated. For an example that did get translated to English, there's npckc's visual novels starting with one night, hot springs.

Which doesn't mean queer mainstream media doesn't exist in Japan. A couple of recent anime about gay characters that I can think of are Sarazanmai and Bloom Into You. There's also Stars Align, which has a great scene in which a nonbinary character and the main character talk about gender dysphoria:

There's definitely still plenty of Japanese media that's got homophobic and transphobic bullshit. One recent example I can think of that often gets touted as "Good Queer Rep" is Carole & Tuesday, which is really blatantly transphobic, especially towards nonbinary people. It's implied that the most prominent trans character in the show became an abusive parent as a direct result of them transitioning. The most prominent gay character (or possibly genderqueer going by Japanese dialogue) is an abusive stalker. And then there's the Mermaid Sisters, whose presentation and gender is very clearly meant to be a joke:

There are a couple of queer characters it doesn't depict as horrible people, but that doesn't make up for all of the gross shit the show does.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In general Japan has the duel problems of being both very conservative and very insular culturally, which means most people there aren't very accepting of these types of issues and it's very hard for foreign pressure to cause anything to happen (although that would also require countries in the west to be significantly more progressive as a whole than they are now unfortunately). Obviously there are exceptions that handle these issues well, but very few are mainstream.

I do want to give a shoutout to manga artist Kenta Shinohara since both of his major works (Sket Dance and Astra Lost in Space) touch on LGBT themes in a pretty respectful way at some point (though the sket dance one is a lot less major and is only in the manga since the anime never got to that part)

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's a little older now, but Wandering Son is an interesting take on transgender children growing and dealing with social issues.
Admittedly, I've only seen the anime from 2011, which is just a small snippet of the manga which went for a few years, but it was decently done (with the exception of some of the character designs looking samey, which made it a little confusing to follow at first).
PuAWqqn.jpg

Then there's also Sweet Blue Flowers from the same author, a slice of life story about a lesbian school girl's life and relationships. It also had a - horribly short and incomplete - anime adaption. I actually did read this one to completion in manga form to see how it ended up.
The characters are treated with respect and the series itself is largely drama free, leading to people online calling it boring and such... I liked it a lot, the characters felt real to me.
hjVN69c.jpg

Also I second that Carole and Tuesday had some good representation, alongside some not-so-good reps when it comes to the antagonists...
The Mermaid Sisters were fine, IMO, but I can see how they could be interpreted as a bad representation.

edit: I actually scrounged around for LGBTQ anime offerings a year ago and was originally going to write up a big post on here about my findings, but for some reason finishing Blue Flowers wrecked me for about a week and I ended up deleting what I had written up. Oh well. There are others I can go into though.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I think a significant part of why I drifted away from One Piece was the transphobia that really intensified later on in the series.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i find that if you are looking for positive lgbt representation in japan games, manga, anime are the worst place to look for it.
generally i'd say that youth culture in japan teens and 20 somethings are very progressive in regards to lgbt issues but seeing as the only things from the country that are exported to the west are anime, games, and things relating to the older population and politcis you only get to see the trash side unfortunately.

sorry if this is offtopic its just an observation as someone who follows alot of japanese creators my age.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zombieland Saga has a good episode. She even became an anti-terf icon.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Want a manga that has good representation of the LGBTQ+ community and actually delves into more serious stuff, read Love me for What I am

Praise for Seven Seas(*) to localize this manga, I thought this year I was only interested in keeping buying Aria the Masterpiece but I got pretty interested for Mogumo story and their friends I need get this ASAP. *If only they reprint Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer but that's another tale.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Not just them, its a popular thrope in Shoujo and Josei manga. Like the first time I saw it was in Kodocha, where the mc basically adopted a twenty year hobo to be her boyfriend, and one of the recurring jokes was to call him her pimp. Another example is Shugo Chara where one of the mc (who is 13) potential love interest was an 18 years old.

Precure had a bunch of that ship.
Coco x Nozomi, Megumi x Blue, Haruka x Kanata etc etc.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Praise for Seven Seas(*) to localize this manga, I thought this year I was only interested in keeping buying Aria the Masterpiece but I got pretty interested for Mogumo story and their friends I need get this ASAP. *If only they reprint Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer but that's another tale.
Didn't know this was getting an official release in English. Preordered.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I see AI Somnium file has already been cited, which is great! Also after Higurashi and Umineko, the third one, Ciconia, tackles these things really well too!

And also, Yakuza 3... And oh surprise, this was one of the removed side-quest in the original western release of the game! Thankfully it was back in the remaster!

47p596aizyq31.png