• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Japan, the country responsible for the holy trilogy of best horror games: Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame II and Forbidden Siren II, seems like stopped making games in that genre since 2003 with the release of SH3. What happened?

The only light in the dark tunnel was Kojima's Silent Hills that was cancelled shortly after its announcement and Capcom trying to go back to RE's survival horror roots.

Where can we look for the possible revival of the genre? Let's start with platform holders. Sony has the guy responsible for Silent Hill and Siren stuck making games about a cat girl with superpowers. Give him the budget for a killer AAA horror game. Also Kojima is working now closely with Sony and PT was proof that he understands horror. Hopefully he has a horror project in his mind for the forseeable future.

Nintendo. Hmm... Luig... nah but they own the Fatal Frame IP that can succeed with the more hardcore Switch audience they just have to focus more on quality and less on fanservice.

Other candidate is obviously From Software. They already expressed the desire to make other games than Souls-likes they've been known for for the past decade. A new Armored Core is in development but what about a new Kuon or completely new AAA horror IP?

Also vote for your favorite horror game/franchise here:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
It came back with games like Evil Within and RE7.
EDIT: And there`s Ghostwire.

btw: Dead Space is twice on that list.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Japan, the country responsible for the holy trilogy of best horror games: Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame II and Forbidden Siren II, seems like stopped making games in that genre since 2003 with the release of SH3. What happened?

The only light in the dark tunnel was Kojima's Silent Hills that was cancelled shortly after its announcement and Capcom trying to go back to RE's survival horror roots.

Where can we look for the possible revival of the genre? Let's start with platform holders. Sony has the guy responsible for Silent Hill and Siren stuck making games about a cat girl with superpowers. Give him the budget for a killer AAA horror game. Also Kojima is working now closely with Sony and PT was proof that he understands horror. Hopefully he has a horror project in his mind for the forseeable future.

Nintendo. Hmm... Luig... nah but they own the Fatal Frame IP that can succeed with the more hardcore Switch audience they just have to focus more on quality and less on fanservice.

Other candidate is obviously From Software. They already expressed the desire to make other games than Souls-likes they've been known for for the past decade. A new Armored Core is in development but what about a new Kuon or completely new AAA horror IP?

Also vote for your favorite horror game/franchise here:

We got 4 more Fatal Frame entries since (3 new and one remake), and a remake of the first Siren on PS3, you know.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Evil Within series, RE7 and RE2 Remake?

Fatal Frame has been missing a while now, due a new one.

Only two classic IPs left are Silent Hill and Siren honestly.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I want any Silent Hill from current Konami.

But I'd love a new Siren. I still don't know what the hell SIE Japan are doing that we didn't get a single Siren this entire generation. BOOOOOO.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on PC, horror genre is alive and well thanks to many small developers, especially those in Asia.

Just check this out.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
6f88d9eb371c200973c32684b8da3f32.jpg

Dec 15, 2017
Classic survival horror from the late 90's and early 00's should return with all their tropes (tank controls, pre rendered backgrounds, scarce ammo, backtracking) don't get me wrong I love the first person horror games on PC they do not scratch the same itch.

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017
Is Siren 2 that good?
Yes. It is. It has the amazing atmosphere of the 1st one but is actually playable.
Classic survival horror from the late 90's and early 00's should return with all their tropes (tank controls, pre rendered backgrounds, scarce ammo, backtracking) don't get me wrong I love the first person horror games on PC they do not scratch the same itch.
I agree. We need more gameplay in our horror games. Hopefully the most talented team in the west - Frictional Games will evolve in that department with their next game.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I freaking hope Fatal Frame comes back. I loved that franchise so much as a kid, now that I got a switch I simply want another entry.

pls

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i mean, you're right. yes.

id also love to see some more cult, slightly obscure IPs revived, either as straight remakes or adaptations. for example, the RPG Sweet Home updated as an asynchronous multiplayer horror game ala Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight. give me another Ku-on, either a new entry or a "spiritual sequel". nothing has to be AAA, but they should be unique and interesting and refreshing.

Oct 28, 2017
The true Japanese horror is the influx of dating-obsessed games from that corner of the world. I fully expect every ghost to be romanceable if we ever get a new Fatal Frame.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love Siren to return.

I also wish we'd get rereleases and collections of older franchises. Luckily the Taiwanese/Indonesian horror scene is going on with a lot of indies doing the heavy lifting. I just wish we could get some good old school fixed camera angles Tank control horror games. I miss them so much.

Leave Silent Hill dead though.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
The return of the Clock tower series would be cool, a guy with a giant pair of scissors chasing you around in a haunted location would be fun.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
They literally just announced Ghostwire or whatever

One game that's coming out god knows when that's not even confirmed to be strictly horror. What a feast.

But seriously, it totally needs to happen. Unfortunately, the genre's been in decline in other entertainment media for a number of years now and it doesn't seem like it's making a comeback any time soon. There are some slim pickings here and there with TEW I and II, and the asian-horror indie scene is pretty good itself, but we need to see it back in AA(A) as well.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Some more nice Japanese horror choices are also the previously released Spirit Hunter: Death Mark, and the upcoming Spirit Hunter: NG :)

pcIoOEe.jpg

Though I may be slightly biased haha

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This gen I've played The Evil Within(fantastic)....The Evil Within 2(not quite as fantastic)....REVII(an amazing return to form)......and I've still not played RE2 yet....also they just announced Ghostwire Tokyo.....I can't honestky say it feels like it's gone away OP.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been thinking about Dead Space. It is the best horror-action game the past decade and it's a shame they ruined the series

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
SIREN please.

Whether it's Toyama directing it or someone else at Japan Studio, I'd love to see it return.

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017
This gen I've played The Evil Within(fantastic)....The Evil Within 2(not quite as fantastic)....REVII(an amazing return to form)......and I've still not played RE2 yet....also they just announced Ghostwire Tokyo.....I can't honestky say it feels like it's gone away OP.
Ghostwire is described everywhere as an action adventure game. Just because it's Tango doesn't it's going to be horror. It may have some spooky elements but it's not going to be the next TEW or Dead Space.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The Evil Within 2 came out and it's best horror game the country has produced since Silent Hill 2 so I'm fine for a few more years

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Anything but that Siren game on PS3. That was awful.

I NEED Silent Hill back though, it was such a good series up until 4.