• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There is a broader topic (one that has been discussed to death, probably) about how Asian cultures have appropriated Western cultures. Part of that is because Western cultures intentionally export their culture as soft power.

But this framing of it is not it, lol.

Pretty much. This is a result of almost a century of the USA forcing its culture down everyone's throats, not the other way around.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to defeat your point as I can see what you are trying to do but I just want to point out that other than the diner and mechanic (?) outfits these are all extremely common clothing styles here. Do you think people still walk around in yukatas and kimonos?

The point wasn't that the clothes are necessarily wrong. The point was that taking characters that look exactly like how they do in Japanese games set in Japan like Persona, throwing western clothes on them and calling it "well, that's the West folks" is pretty weak. The same way Tom Cruise wasn't a particularly believeable samurai just because he got the right-ish clothes for the part.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you think Catherine is specifically supposed to be western?

There are a whole lot of Japanese culture tied specifically in Catherine. You can order sake at the Stray Sheep. You go with Orlando to a sushi place. These are not typical activities for western characters.

Catherine is set in an English-speaking country. The names, the activities, the visual styles all heavily imply that if it's not the USA it's at least very close to that. And yet, the characters look and act like what you see in Japanese characters represented by Japan. It's a distinctly Japanese way of presenting a story and looks, which makes it kinda jarring when they're trying to pass it off as "totally-not-Japan-but-an-unnamed-Western-country".

Catherine was just a random example, no need to attach to that one so badly. Even the recent Final Fantasy games definitely have gone for looks that I'd never ever call West-based, just like how Pokémon games put little effort into distinguishing the looks and behaviours of the various countries they're trying to mimic.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Serial killers are using bar graphs now
Part of that is because westerns nations colonized a large part of Asia. Not very soft in my book.

Sure, we shouldn't ignore that.

But more directly responding to the OPs concern that Western people are suffering some sort of indignity over this is...missing a lot of context and history, to put it mildly.

If anything, the fact that they're making these references at all is a win for what Western society was aiming to do.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Catherine is set in an English-speaking country. The names, the activities, the visual styles all heavily imply that if it's not the USA it's at least very close to that. And yet, the characters look and act like what you see in Japanese characters represented by Japan. It's a distinctly Japanese way of presenting a story and looks, which makes it kinda jarring when they're trying to pass it off as "totally-not-Japan-but-an-unnamed-Western-country".

Catherine was just a random example, no need to attach to that one so badly. Even the recent Final Fantasy games definitely have gone for looks that I'd never ever call West-based, just like how Pokémon games put little effort into distinguishing the looks and behaviours of the various countries they're trying to mimic.
Curious, why do you say that Catherine is set in an English-speaking country?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, why do you say that Catherine is set in an English-speaking country?

It isn't? It's been a while since I last played it but I recall signs and such being in English, characters having very obviously English names, and the game generally going for a Western-country vibe. Feel free to correct me if I'm factually wrong, I'm far from an expert on the game.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
It isn't? It's been a while since I last played it but I recall signs and such being in English, characters having very obviously English names, and the game generally going for a Western-country vibe. Feel free to correct me if I'm factually wrong, I'm far from an expert on the game.
I mean, there are places I can go to in Chicago where all the signs are Korean, or Chinese, or what have you. We don't get a look at nearly enough surrounding to gauge the actual locality in the setting of Catherine, though for me the presence of sake (which is not at all available in 99% of western bars) leads me to believe it's supposed to be Japan.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The point wasn't that the clothes are necessarily wrong. The point was that taking characters that look exactly like how they do in Japanese games set in Japan like Persona, throwing western clothes on them and calling it "well, that's the West folks" is pretty weak. The same way Tom Cruise wasn't a particularly believeable samurai just because he got the right-ish clothes for the part.
OK, maybe you used a bad example. Because ironically, those clothing styles are probably more common in Japan than they are in any given western country. Come visit and see for yourself!

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
"That's an awful nice bunch of games you've got there... it'd be a shame if someone bent over backwards to find something problematic about them."

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Geeze what a weird thread... for a ton of reasons.

Won't call any of the other posters out because yikes some of ya'll, but yeah you are super off base OP.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I actually had a theory, and I think it has been speculated now and then, that the anime design with those wide doe-eyes was almost like a self-compensation to suit the ideal of how people in "movies", primarily made in Hollywood have very big expressive eyes and so artists caricatured their Asian-representative art, their "manga" characters to represent that ideal. I don't know if it's true, or if it's intended as racially self-critical or as a slight, but I always wondered if it was a thing.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a theory, and I think it has been speculated now and then, that the anime design with those wide doe-eyes was almost like a self-compensation to suit the ideal of how people in "movies", primarily made in Hollywood have very big expressive eyes and so artists caricatured their Asian-representative art, their "manga" characters to represent that ideal. I don't know if it's true, or if it's intended as racially self-critical or as a slight, but I always wondered if it was a thing.
Has more to do with the Western cartoon aesthetic of Disney and Warner

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It was to copy old cartoon with wide eyes such as mickey mouse. They needed large eyes to animate expressions easier.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know Japan is xenophobic, but when looking through Bulbapedia at the new Pokemon, and seeing that NPCs on the routes you battle in the original Japanese version ALL have Japanese names despite the country being based on England I just laugh at their need to self insert into everything.

How is this any different from the fact that everyone speaks English in Western films? I'd say that's even worse.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
OP's framing contains harmful racial stereotypes and disingenuous take on cultural appropriation. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.