• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N64 also had great games tho, in fact many of the most acclaimed games of the era are N64 games

The N64 was very top-heavy. It had 2-3 GOATs but there were just not enough games, and the release schedule was spotty. The Playstation had so many more games and they arrived regularly, like there were stretches where I could barely keep up. The Japanese publishers in particular just rocked out on the PS1. I think it's easy to forget how great the system was because the 3D games from back then have aged so poorly.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My man was salty af. He was bitter at Square for years for jumping ship to Sony, it wasn't until Iwata took over that those bridges were mended.

He actually kind of won that one... Square were eager to make GBA game and had to swallow their pride and go to Nintendo, and Yamauchi got them to make Crystal Chronicles if they wanted GBA dev kits, it was funded with his Q-Fund(which was some of his retirement fund IIRC).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
He actually kind of won that one... Square were eager to make GBA game and had to swallow their pride and go to Nintendo, and Yamauchi got them to make Crystal Chronicles if they wanted GBA dev kits, it was funded with his Q-Fund(which was some of his retirement fund IIRC).

God I wish we had Yamauchi to set modern Square Enix straight

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Wow, I had no idea they had to make Crystal Chronicles to get GBA dev kits. Didn't Square release Ogre Battle on N64? I didn't think they had that much beef with Nintendo.

Edit: Oh Ogre Battle was done by Quest not Square. Derp.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, Yamauchi is the GOAT

1kIP5cz_d.jpg

DUN DUN.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, I had no idea they had to make Crystal Chronicles to get GBA dev kits. Didn't Square release Ogre Battle on N64? I didn't think they had that much beef with Nintendo.

That was Quest, which at the time wasn't even a part of Square or Enix for that matter. It was published by Atlus in the West and by Nintendo in Japan.

In fact Quest wasn't dissolved into Square-Enix until 2003.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have never bought a mario party game because it's better with friends. If Nintendo released a 1 player only Mario Pity Party game I would buy

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I also remember him being bitter about Dragon Quest switching to the playstation.

He said something like "It could take ages to come out. Horii could get a cold".

Which sounded pathetic, but as it turned out, it *did* take ages to come out, it eventually released right near the end of the gen.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Edit: Oh Ogre Battle was done by Quest not Square. Derp.
And even then for the Crystal Chronicle games, Square's Akitoshi Kawazu had to set up a shell company he owned 51% of to get access to the GC dev kits because Square had a deal with Sony and couldn't make games that would impact ps2 releases.
Shit was complicated.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The President has said a lot of things through the years:

"Concerning the essence of human's play, Roger Caillois, the french philosopher, says that four factors are required: competition, chance, imitation and giddiness.
The video game meets these needs precisely.
The Space Invader game performed its part with great success as the first in a series of video games.
The theory of play is supported by the fact tha the video game maintains a wide range of popularity even after the Space Invader game has been phased out.
With hardware cost-reduced and up-graded by advances in semi-conductor electronics, new software making use of this new hardware and the growth of television system, the image experience of the micro-computer system is advancing rapidly and apparently without limit.
We firmly believe that a new, startling world of amusement will appear in the late-eighties.
We at Nintendo continue answering the [challenge] of creating innovations in the electronics amusement industry."
Hiroshi Yamauchi, in a Nintendo brochure from 1979

"We do not believe in the idea of companies getting together to establish a new entertainment business.
We need only one healthy, strong company as a leader."
Hiroshi Yamauchi around 1995

"Yes. Nintendo's business is to make games that can only be played on Nintendo systems. Nintendo's games only run on Nintendo's consoles, and no one else's. Our aim is to get people to think Nintendo's games are the greatest, the best in the world.
We're devoting all of our effort to that right now, and we'll be able to show our efforts to the world this year. We'll see how it turns out after the Christmas season, or about ten or eleven months from now."
Hiroshi Yamauchi in early 2001

"The thing with this industry is, no one actually needs what it produces. If what we were making was absolutely essential in order to live, then the consumer wouldn't complain about price or supply, because he'd be in big trouble if he ran out. On the other hand, we produce entertainment -- and there's a million other kinds of entertainment out there. If the game industry went away, it's not like people would keel over and die on the street. If it came to pass that people started saying "These games are all stupid, I gotta stop playing them all the time", then what do you think would happen? You don't need games to live, after all, so the market could fall right out. It could even shrink to a tenth of what it was."
Hiroshi Yamauchi in early 2001

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."
Hiroshi Yamauchi in 2004

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
By burning bridges one after another because his stupid pride? Yes

First ones with Enix and Square, with the subject of this thread
Square was literally evangelizing 3rd parties to ditch Nintendo, I'd say Nintendo ain't really the ones that burned that bridge.
He also gave a lot more latitude to its subsidiaries than its successors did.
Seriously NoE is a glorified shipping company and NoA is way too close to just being that as well these days.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well, that seems to be the case regarding modern Playstation. PS1/PS2 though had stuff like Crash, Jak, etc.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Dude didn't touch video games but he was a brilliant business man and he struck gold with Miyamoto. I think he had a good eye for potential. Making Iwata his successor also was a brilliant move. Anyway, in short I think he was a good business man that didn't really understand videogames and hence why these kind of quotes came out of his mouth.