• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This surprising quote is attributed to late Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, in the matter of Playstation beating Nintendo 64 in Japan back then. Sure great games had nothing to do with it =P Interesting point of view, that can surely lead us to interesting discussions and analysis of that past context.

gamers-republic.original.jpg

Gamers Republic issue page including the quote

More at: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...epressing_games_and_lonely_players_apparently

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Trolling. Inflammatory generalizations. History of similar behavior.
AFAIK he said that people who like jrpgs are losers who live on basements and play with their lights off.

He wasn't wrong back then and he isn't wrong now.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I always heard this quote referring to the RPG genre. What's the right context here?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
More interesting to me is if that's a hairy leg or arm under the magazine in the op?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez I cant even imagine someone having that kind of toxic attitude in today's industry... plus the internet. Yikes

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see the appeal of basically no human contact and managing just a job. Its comfortable, simple, and attractive. I think Japan has unique issues that further this kind of thinking.

Problem is, It causes problems you can't see until its too late.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
This is a classic quote from that era, widely discussed with my friends in the nineties lol.

Yet I must confess I still had the idea that this was probably a bad translation, like "Miyamoto hated DKC" stuff.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
My man was salty af. He was bitter at Square for years for jumping ship to Sony, it wasn't until Iwata took over that those bridges were mended.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm failing to find the contemporary relevance of Yamauchi's quotes, especially for one that's as well known as his disdain for video game players.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Dude was simultaneously out of touch and consumer-savvy.
He's also responsible for the DS being the DS btw.
He was incredibly out of touch, like the most out of touch he was the more alive he felt maybe BUT he had the knack to recognize talent and put the right people at the right place.
He handpicked Gunpei Yokoi and later decided on Iwata as the head of the company.
Dude was a very effective CEO, he didn't know jack about games though.
Probably would have similar results in another industry really.
My man was salty af. He was bitter at Square for years for jumping ship to Sony, it wasn't until Iwata took over that those bridges were mended.
And even then it can be argued that it only happened once Square was merged with Enix at that.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of agree with that guy who got banned so please don't ban me, but the notion is at least consistent with my personal experience as a loser who liked to be alone and play JRPGS. That said I also loved me some Mario.

It's hard to hate on Yamauchi since he clearly gave zero fucks until the end of his career.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Excuse me but I'm a loser who plays JRPGs while living in his own house. Fuck that basement shit

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yamauchi was always like this, lol. And of course it's not even true, the N64 was just not a very good console, and it had fundamental flaws in its design focus as well as its controller.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo legit has made me even more of a hermit with the 3DS and the Switch since I don't even need to go downstair to play games.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
N64 also had great games tho, in fact many of the most acclaimed games of the era are N64 games

True of course, but if you wanted to play something more story-driven and RPG focused, genres that really started to blow up during that generation, the N64 was severely lacking. The console simply didn't have an answer to games like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid despite basically owning the RPG genre the generation before.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As compared to what? They previously played happy or couch co-op games in a dark room.