• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
What exactly is wrong with futaba? Never played persona
I assume joker is around the same age as her so don't see why her being dateable is bad there

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also most of these games are extremely niche not only in the west, but also in Japan. The big franchises: FF, DQ, Mario, Zelda, which aim for a bigger audience, tend to rely less on teenagers.

It's only in place like Era where we feel like Xenoblade or Tales are some major franchises.
I assume joker is around the same age as her so don't see why her being dateable is bad there
Nothing really. Ann is the one that is sexualized.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, he's only a year older than her. The only one of legal age by the time the game is over is Makoto. Futaba is also less sexualized than Ann/Makoto, no wet shirt scenes for her like those two.

Oct 25, 2017
Also most of these games are extremely niche not only in the west, but also in Japan. The big franchises: FF, DQ, Mario, Zelda, which aim for a bigger audience, ten rely less on teenagers.

It's only in place like Era where we feel like Xenoblade or Tales are some major franchises.

Nothing really. Ann is the one that is sexualized.
I didn't even make it to the part where you meet Futaba but the way the game treated Ann was fucking disgusting

Oct 25, 2017
It's the other way around really. Teenagers are extemely under presented in western games, and these Japanese games fill the niche pretty well. You are asking for homogeneity which is always bad. I don't want to start up a Japanese game and find a gritty white man who lost his child. Let people have choice. Western games are already as one homogeneous as they can get.
Teenagers are fine, but not with excessive fan service.

In my example I asked for Persona in college.

Joker, Futaba, Makoto, etc being 17-20 wouldn't change too much, but would make things less unsettling

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that is true especially in stuff like pop music and beauty pageants, but that's not really what we're talking about here.
Isn't age of consent super low in Japan like 13 or something?
From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), that's the age of consent nationally, but prefectures have their own consent laws and almost all of them have it at 18.
But why? Obviously is bad if they are sexualized but there is nothing wrong with having children in the cast whatever is boys or girls.
In a vacuum, no, but there's something to be said about how widespread it is, especially with the tendency to fetishise youth and childishness.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Within the game's world, she is referred to multiple times as looking like a child. At one point, a security guard/police officer refers to her as a little girl and asks if she needs assistance the way one would ask a child, and then much later in the game there's a sequence where the girls in the party need to flirt with a guy and they get one for Futaba too, noting that the dude is probably a huge creep who's into "that"

So it's just kind of weird and off-putting for the game to be all "Yeah people in game see her and think of her as a child, but also you can hook up with her!"

(Nowi is in a similar boat - her daughter is literally all "Welp guess my dad was a big ol' pedo!")

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a real problem and it's becoming harder and harder to just ignore and overlook as elements of it are present almost everywhere. Japanese media has a real obsession with youth in general, which leads to 30 y/o being depicted as old people, but the prevalence of little girls is hard to ignore. Media in general across all cultures have major issues with youth and sexualization but JP games stand out for a reason in these discussions, particularly because so many of these elements are extremely common and widespread throughout all their media.
What's wrong with a child character that isn't sexualized? Just being in the party is a bad thing?
It's potentially problematic because it's part of a larger trend that often does sexualize said younger characters, so while you could argue it's an improvement by not doing so, it's still kind of normalizing that overall depiction in media of these childlike characters as a common place and acceptable occurrence, which aids those sexualized depictions. If the practice wasn't so wide spread and common it wouldn't be a real issues, but this isn't a vacuum, it's influenced and seen within the context of the larger culture which has a real problem with these kinds of characters.

Especially with the fact that Veronica is emotionally/intellectually an adult while having the body of a child. A setup that is often used to downplay pedophelic aspects of said child characters, such as the 1000 year old dragon tropes. They think it's OK and not wrong to have a character physically appear to be a child and be sexualized to one degree or another because emotionally/intellectually they're adults circumventing the main moral issue of children being unable to understand or make sound decisions when it comes to sexual matters. Meanwhile the opposite also exists in abundance where physically adult characters will have the mental maturity of a child and they're often sexualized even more so. Whole thing is fucked.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
From that image I only know Riku, Futaba and Veronica and I don't understand how they are problematic in the slightest. Futaba and Veronica in particular were among my favorite characters in their respective games.

Can't remember Riku too well, but that image is from FFX-2 and I don't think she was particulary young there? (as in underage, I don't know the "official" ages but her and Yuna/Paine strike me as a 20-25 year old adult)

Edit: just checked and all of them are below 20 actually (Riku 17, Paine 18, Yuna 19)... lol

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay I agree lolibait is a problem but attacking literally any underage party member in a game is fucking ludicrous

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I know people joke about the dragons meme

but why can't a creator just say a character's age is like 20 to begin with? I mean since they're not real people, they can just give whatever age they want
Team Ninja established Marie Rose's as 18, but it's not like it made anyone who didn't want her in DoA to begin with inclined to believe them (and that awful face smash zoom-in mechanic in DoA6 that nobody asked for exempting her, Honoka, and NiCO while not doing so for other teenagers like Kasumi and Ayane was only viewed as undermining what they established).
Isn't age of consent super low in Japan like 13 or something?
Most prefectures have laws that override that to raise it to 18.
Yeah, he's only a year older than her. The only one of legal age by the time the game is over is Makoto. Futaba is also less sexualized than Ann/Makoto, no wet shirt scenes for her like those two.
Haru and Makoto, pretty sure anyway, since both were in line to graduate.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Isn't Marie Rose 18?
She is.
Within the game's world, she is referred to multiple times as looking like a child. At one point, a security guard/police officer refers to her as a little girl and asks if she needs assistance the way one would ask a child, and then much later in the game there's a sequence where the girls in the party need to flirt with a guy and they get one for Futaba too, noting that the dude is probably a huge creep who's into "that"

So it's just kind of weird and off-putting for the game to be all "Yeah people in game see her and think of her as a child, but also you can hook up with her!"

(Nowi is in a similar boat - her daughter is literally all "Welp guess my dad was a big ol' pedo!")
Well even in real life people with really youthful faces often get called out for looking really young. Don't see this as a problem still but I guess depends on your perspective

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Teenagers are fine, but not with excessive fan service.

In my example I asked for Persona in college.

Joker, Futaba, Makoto, etc being 17-20 wouldn't change too much, but would make things less unsettling
"Why there are so many revealing clothes and male-gazey camera in Japanese game" and "why there are so many teenagers" are two completely different questions.
For the first question, yeah it's a problem. All female characters in Japanese games are at risk of fan service, so there's no reason to pick out one portion of it.
For the second question, the answer is let them do what they want. I didn't complain why western games have so many gritty white men. They are not made for me, and I just ignore them.

Well even in real life people with really youthful faces often get called out for looking really young. Don't see this as a problem still but I guess depends on your perspective
As Asian I can confirm this. It's always me that have to show my ID before entering movie theater, all other people at my age just go through.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Exploitation of minors in popculture is a-ok, but doing drugs? Burn that motherfucker. Japan oh Japan.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing the sexualization of minors
I'm not defending anything here, but if you're going to judge other cultures out of your own cultures point of view - you're going to have a bad time.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I agree with your general point, but I'm a bit confused about including Rikku. Isn't she an adult in X-2?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember Riku too well, but that image is from FFX-2 and I don't think she was particulary young there? (as in underage, I don't know the "official" ages but her and Yuna/Paine strike me as a 20-25 year old adult)
Rikku is underage in both games. She's 15 in the first and 17 in the second.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's a trope in the same way having an older character in their late twenties and early thirties who's treated like a geriatric, they do it to provide contrast to the core older teenager group I presume. It's mostly innocent enough in the case of Final Fantasy, Tales or Persona but there's a very clear distinction between those and someone like Nowi in Fire Emblem who is quite obviously a sexualised child targeted at the otaku pedo audience, along with most of the "works" from the likes of Compile Heart who appear to have those people are their primary audience.

Jan 21, 2019
It's a real problem and it's becoming harder and harder to just ignore and overlook as elements of it are present almost everywhere. Japanese media has a real obsession with youth in general, which leads to 30 y/o being depicted as old people, but the prevalence of little girls is hard to ignore. Media in general across all cultures have major issues with youth and sexualization but JP games stand out for a reason in these discussions, particularly because so many of these elements are extremely common and widespread throughout all their media.

It's potentially problematic because it's part of a larger trend that often does sexualize said younger characters, so while you could argue it's an improvement by not doing so, it's still kind of normalizing that overall depiction in media of these childlike characters as a common place and acceptable occurrence, which aids those sexualized depictions. If the practice wasn't so wide spread and common it wouldn't be a real issues, but this isn't a vacuum, it's influenced and seen within the context of the larger culture which has a real problem with these kinds of characters.

Especially with the fact that Veronica is emotionally/intellectually an adult while having the body of a child. A setup that is often used to downplay pedophelic aspects of said child characters, such as the 1000 year old dragon tropes. They think it's OK and not wrong to have a character physically appear to be a child and be sexualized to one degree or another because emotionally/intellectually they're adults circumventing the main moral issue of children being unable to understand or make sound decisions when it comes to sexual matters. Meanwhile the opposite also exists in abundance where physically adult characters will have the mental maturity of a child and they're often sexualized even more so. Whole thing is fucked.

That is a damn good point.
Something like Attack on Titan is not a problem, but the fact that it is among the few that forgo sexualization of their young cast speaks volumes about the industry.

I think the only safe route at this point is to just stop including child characters in video games full stop.

So it's good that they canceled the Harry Potter game?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even when I was a teenager, I wanted adults in my RPGs instead.
Speaking only personally, a big part of the reason that Persona resonated to me was playing it while I was around the age of 16. RPGs predominantly revolving around adult characters like Final Fantasy tend to be the norm, so having a cool high school setting with nightmare terrors was a really novel concept that appealed to me, and I reckon a lot of others, especially due to how much of a focus the social aspect had in everything. Even now that I'm in my 20s there's still something nostalgic about playing the games.

Skin

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing sexualization of minors, junior phase account
It's a totally different culture, stop comparing it to yours. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Marie Rose 18?

Yep but it's another example of why the age devs put is irrelevant. They even blocked her on fatal blow displays for a reason, let alone she acting like a kid (and some of her dlc outfits being really child-like).

It's a totally different culture, stop comparing it to yours. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If we are talking about making stories about younger people then its fine and I'll agree, but If we are talking about the sexualization of minors, no culture is excuse for that.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
You know something's fucked up when sexualization of 10 yo girls is part of the culture but being gay is a perversion and god forbid including LGBT marriage in a game.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking only personally, a big part of the reason that Persona resonated to me was playing it while I was around the age of 16. RPGs predominantly revolving around adult characters like Final Fantasy tend to be the norm, so having a cool high school setting with nightmare terrors was a really novel concept that appealed to me, and I reckon a lot of others, especially due to how much of a focus the social aspect had in everything. Even now that I'm in my 20s there's still something nostalgic about playing the games.
Understandable. While not an RPG, I suppose Skool Daze resonated with me at the time partly because I was a kid.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with all the characters you posted as being examples of the trope. I think Futaba, Nia and Rikku are perfectly fine as they are. But yes, there are a ton of really fucked up characters in Japanese videogames.

Nowi's probably the biggest offender, it's so bad that she even became the new face of the "I'm actually a 1000 year old dragon/demon/angel" meme.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sexualization of underage characters is a huge problem in Japanese media, but thinking that all child characters need to be wiped from Japanese games because of the trope is a ridiculously extreme stance.

A lot of games use child characters because they are marketed to children and teenagers, such as the Zelda, Pokemon, and Splatoon series which are filled with child characters. I think it's weird to say Veronica is bad and part of the problem when DQ is also marketed to that same demographic. (Not to absolve DQXI, the treatment of Jade is poor)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It is a big problem, yes, and it should being taking care of. And yes, by censure.
But this is not Japan only. The way Millie Bobby Brown was make up and dressed in the promotion of stranger things was disgusting.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not that there is a problem with Veronica specifically, but this excuse is exactly in the same vein as "thousand year old dragon".
She's not sexualized tho. She's not in some bikini.

She's actually one of the more sober depictions of a child character.

But yes, I agree that the sexualized outfits in child characters is abhorrent. That should not be a controversial statement.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You know something's fucked up when sexualization of 10 yo girls is part of the culture but being gay is a perversion and god forbid including LGBT marriage in a game.

Thats because its bullshit, and borderline insulting to japanese people trying to pretend that pedophilia is part of their culture.

Oct 27, 2017
London
How ScruffyTurtles writes his Persona 5 ACAU is the correct way to go about it, he makes the characters in the AU 18 years old and in their 3rd year of high school. Some main characters in his AU like younger Takemi are college students too.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this thread is that it outright implies it's a problem limited to one region, not a global problem.

Try vist r/gaming (or any gaming site) then turn off your adblock and browse the web. You'll be inundated with western versions of the exact same thing og says is a Japanese dev obsession.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Underage characters are not equal to "lolis" as some people seem to think.

Japanese games are for teens, so chars have their age. Just like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, John Green books, etc.