• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That was shockingly hard to read for me. I can only hope his victim is doing alright today.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
After Yoshimistu126's failed attempt to an edit of a disgusting reply to still a disgusting reply, now watch his presence never exist in this thread again

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
He took bullying to a seriously disgusting and scary level. I feel really bad for his victims.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Awful is an understatement, that's a monster.

Don't see why his grandchildren should be punished for the actions of their grandfather though; what a weird take on the situation.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
And the Olympics committee is a ok with somebody like this representing Japan. Idk how long ago the shit he did to these individuals was and with how unsympathetic he seems to be (according to those tweets somebody posted from an interview from the 90s) it shouldn't be waved away or seen as "kids being kids".

What a vile, disturbing person.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Uhm, why wasn't there done anything back in 93 when he did this interview? Like no punishment at all? That's straight up abuse and sadism.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I have no words. Something is deeply wrong with the Olympics committee.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
he did fucking what.......?

thats one artist i've wanted to check out more that i now never will.

i dont like punishing people for dumb shit they did decades ago when they were young... but i mean, there are limits. totally psychotic torturous behavior goes waaaayy beyond dumb mistakes.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I knew Japanese bullying was on another level, but I wasn't expecting THAT. I can maybe buy that he's changed and feels horrible regret and all that, but apologies shouldn't absolve him of all responsibility for the horrible acts he committed, and he should not be given the spotlight like this.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that fucking sucks. I used to really like his music, had no idea he pulled this kinda shit when he was younger.

Yeah he's in his 50s now but there'd need to be some real genuine reflection and action taken to try and right the kind of wrongs he talked about doing before I'd say he's not an asshole.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying concerns around a history of abuse, prior related ban
you can change a lot in 30-40 years... what he did was absolutely horrible, but we can't really judge who he is now based on such old events! Maybe he's still a piece of shit today, but you can't really know unless some things he said or did recently is still terrible

It's a shame he didn't get any consequence or that nobody criticized him and dropped him when he admited to it back then though

Parts of the magazine interviews translated
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Seems there's translations of parts of the interviews here:

Cornelius

Inquiry into the Behavior of Keigo Oyamada by Denpachiro Link to the original text: https://koritsumuen.hatenablog.com/entry/20061115/p1 R...

The January 1994 issue of "ROCKIN' ON JAPAN" (editor-in-chief: Yoichiro Yamazaki) includes a 20,000-word interview with Oyamada, in which he states:

"'The bullying was really severe in my class.'

'And you said that you were among those who did the bullying?'

'Yeah, I was a bully. I was really horrible and cruel, thinking back on it now. I'd like to use my time here to apologize (laughs). I was really harsh.'

'So you did things you shouldn't have.'

'Yeah. They were like crimes against humanity. I'd strip people completely naked, wrap them up in string, force them to masturbate. Make them eat shit. Then I'd backdrop them into it.'"

After reading this interview, a writer named Kiyoshi Murakami penned an article called "Kiyoshi Murakami's Bullying Journey" in the August 1995 issue of Quick Japan.
After some initial interest, he decided he wanted to set up an interview between the bully and the victims, but it never materialized. Instead, it became a personal interview with Keigo Oyamada.

Regarding Sawada-san (pseudonym):
"There was this guy named Sawada-san. He was a pretty big deal*, and he showed up when we were in the second grade. It was a shock to everybody at school (laughs). I mean, when you change schools and you just start abruptly introducing yourself to people like, 'I'm Sawada!' (approximating a speech impediment), everyone's just like, 'Wow! Amazing!'

I got a cardboard box or something and put Sawada-san in it and covered it in duct tape and put air hole-type things around it (laughs), and I said, 'Hey Sawada-san, you alright in there?' and he said 'I'm… alright…' (laughs) So I took an eraser from the blackboard and clapped it around and said 'Poison gas attack!' and then I let him be for a while, but he stopped reacting altogether, so I said 'Oh, shit… what should I do?' So I decided to take some of the duct tape off and watch him from the other side of the room. And suddenly he comes out with a tearing sound and says… oh, what did he say? Something funny. I think it was something like 'mommy…' (laughs) and then everyone laughed at him."

High school days:

"When you're wearing a jersey, anybody can just come and pull it off, but Sawada didn't care about people seeing his dick anyway so he'd just walk around with it hanging out. He had a big dick though, he even did when we were in elementary school, but it got even bigger in high school (laughs). Girls would always react to it, right? So we'd force him to strip and walk around.

For whatever reason, people with disabilities like him liked to hang around in the library. The library was just like a big theme park (laughs). And not just for people in my grade, everybody who was like that could find a spot to hide there. It was as if they had their own little society in there.

Regarding Mr. Murata (pseudonym), the second person who was bullied:

"Murata had been around since elementary school and I knew that he was a little off. Back then we were in different classes so I didn't have a chance to get to know him, but in middle school we were in the same class. He'd do all kinds of weird things. Murata was kind of borderline… it was hard to tell if he was mentally ill or just an idiot and his body was tiny. This guy was like the opposite of Sawada, he was more the type who would internalize his tantrums. Instead of lashing out when he was bullied, he'd slam his head against the wall and say, 'Dammit! Dammit!' (laughs).

"So I did some pro wrestling moves. You can't normally just do a backdrop, right? But he was so light that I could do it on him easily. I was super excited about it. We were all trying out pro wrestling techniques on the guy. I decided to make things interesting so I said, 'I'm gonna do it again.' It didn't feel like I was bullying him, but… well, I guess I was (laughs).

"There were kids in the regular class who would have been in special schools elsewhere. It was private, so things were different. I've known the term 'Down syndrome' since I was in elementary school. There was some kind of school for the disabled behind our school. It's in the countryside near Machida, so there are still some fields left. When I was in high school, we'd all go outside to smoke during our breaks. There was a hill behind the building that we'd go to. Whenever I'd be absently-mindedly smoking cigarettes, those kids from the school for the disabled would be running a marathon. The boys wore dark blue jerseys and the girls wore light blue jerseys and they'd be running. And they had Down syndrome.

So one time I said 'Hey, a kid with Down syndrome is running' while I was smoking. Then another kid with Down syndrome ran by, but people with Down syndrome all have the same kind of face, right?

And so I said, 'What? Didn't he already go by?' (laughs). He was maybe a little bit bigger than the first one. After that, one of the kids with Down syndrome dressed in dark blue ran past with kind of a pitter-patter and I said 'Is that one a girl?' (laughs). So there were ten people running, some big, some small, all with the same exact face. I said 'wow!' (laughs)."

"I (the interviewer) called Murata-san's house. His mother answered. I was told that Murata-san is now working as a live-in clerk at a pachinko parlor. He attended a regular high school after leaving Wako.

His mother said, 'When he was in middle school, he honestly thought about killing himself. But you talk to your child and figure out a way to fix things. My son also had the kind of personality that encouraged bullies. Oyamada-kun seems to be doing well for himself.'

I (the interviewer) was able to meet up with Sawada-san at one of the finest residences in Denenchofu. According to his mother, he has a 'learning disability.' The only responses he gives are "yes" and "okay" and only to his mother. He currently attends calligraphy and pottery classes at a nearby health care center twice a week. He has not successfully integrated into society.

His mother said, 'It's only gotten worse since he graduated. He only sees people that he knows anymore. I thought that he was on good terms with Oyamada-san.'

'Would you be willing to talk with Oyamada?'

He sat in silence and looked at his mother.

'Did you get along with Oyamada-san?'

'Yes.'

A few days later, I received a call from his mother saying that they would not be comfortable with the discussion.

The following is a quote from a conversation between Kiyoshi Murakami and Keigo Oyamada at the end of the article.

"KM: 'If you could open up a dialogue with them, what would you talk about?'

KO: 'I mean, there's really nothing to talk about. (Laughs). I dunno. I feel like if I met them now I'd definitely talk to them exactly like I used to. I don't know... I don't think there'd be any bullying.' Stuff like, 'what are you up to now?' (Laughs). 'So you're working at a pachinko place now, huh?' (Laughs). 'Picking up balls?' (Laughs).' I think it'd just be stuff like that.'

KM: 'Would you prefer not to meet with them if you had a choice?'

KO: 'Me? I don't think I'd wanna meet up with Murata-san, although it would probably be interesting. I would like to meet Sawada, though.'

KM: 'So there's no one in particular that you definitely wouldn't want to see?'

KO: 'What's going on here? I mean, was I really a bully?'

KM: 'The distinction is ambiguous.'

KO: 'That's what I'm not sure about. Is it really bullying? I definitely did some bad things.'

KM: 'Have you come to a conclusion about whether or not you're guilty?'

KO: 'Nah… but I wonder if everyone is like this. People who bully others. I, for example, can talk about it without feeling any guilt at all.'

There's a bunch more in the link, but not all of it. The thing in Quick Japan seems to have been a 22 page article in all. There's a few scanned pages floating around if you can read Japanese too.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you were to chalk up the (laughs) as nervous reactions, he's pretty callously dropping personal details about his victims, like physical information, and he's talking about it like he still thinks it's funny. The guy seems like a straight up psychopath.

When he says he doesn't feel bad talking about it and he's just speak to them as he did before, it doesn't sound like he genuinely wants to apologize or make amends.

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Well he should definitely get punished for that, sounds absolutely terrible. I know Japan is very bad with mental health so maybe it was normalized so maybe it is a good idea for Japan to reflect on improving stigma against people due to this incident.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I only had a few altercations with bullies growing up but they were fucking milquetoast compared to this. Regardless, I still think about the altercations I had with bullies to this day. Not often, but it comes to mind when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Imagine going through this. You don't forget eating your own shit.

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020
This is so horrible, so painful to read I don't even know what to say. I'm just so tired of humanity.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Fucking disgusting monster. I posted about this in the Japanese music thread a couple days ago, and I was really hoping some western outlet would pick it up. I want Oyamada completely villified. He should never work again. I've listened to Cornelius so much before now... what a completely out of nowhere sucker punch. It's been decades since the interviews, but he was an adult and completely remorseless. I have a really hard time believing he gives a fuck now, because he sounded like a psychopath then. I'd only believe he really changed if he revealed he spent the last couple decades trying to make things right and using a great deal of his time and money to assist his victims and disabled people in general. I get the sense he hasn't regretted his actions until now.

I can't see more of the Telegraph article, so I don't know how much they talk about, but here's the blog I posted in the music thread with lots of quotes from the interviews. It is really horrific, and I can't state that enough. You can use deepl to translate it pretty accurately into English if you don't know Japanese.

koritsumuen.hatenablog.com

小山田圭吾における人間の研究 - 孤立無援のブログ

ミュージシャンのコーネリアスこと、小山田圭吾ですけど。 雑誌のインタービューによりますと、彼は、和光大学付属の小・中・高校時代に、いじめる側の生徒だったようです。 「ロッキンオン・ジャパン」(1994年1月号。編集長は山崎洋一郎)の小山田圭吾2万字インタビューによると。 「あとやっぱりうちはいじめがほんとすごかったなあ」 ■でも、いじめた方だって言ったじゃん。 「うん。いじめてた。けっこう今考えるとほんとすっごいヒドいことをしてたわ。この場を借りてお詫びします(笑)。だって、けっこうほんとキツいことしてたよ」 ■やっちゃいけないことを。...

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Off-topic to an extent, but I've always wondered if the Japanese high school experience as portrayed in their media is anywhere close to being real. Like the level of bullying portrayed is eerily similar to what he says he did.

I'd be interested to see if he's done anything recently in terms of atoning via charity work etc.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow, that is totally messed up. That's beyond bullying and just sick sadistic torture.

Also that comment advocating the continuing cycle of bullying is disgusting, too.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking disgusting monster. I posted about this in the Japanese music thread a couple days ago, and I was really hoping some western outlet would pick it up.

I can't see more of the Telegraph article, so I don't know how much they talk about, but here's the blog I posted in the music thread with lots of quotes from the interviews. It is really horrific, and I can't state that enough. You can use deepl to translate it pretty accurately into English if you don't know Japanese.

I've only seen some proper details in that Telegraph article, other ones have been more vague and focused on the apology, like AFP:
www.barrons.com

Olympic Opening Ceremony Composer Apologises Over School Bullying

A composer for the Tokyo Olympic opening ceremony has apologised after an outcry over old interviews in which he discussed bullying disabled schoolmates, the latest scandal for organisers.

Telegraph article doesn't go into more details than what I posted in the OP.

That blog you've posted seems to be the one that's been translated in that blogspot blog post.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've only seen some proper details in that Telegraph article, other ones have been more vague and focused on the apology, like AFP:
www.barrons.com

Olympic Opening Ceremony Composer Apologises Over School Bullying

A composer for the Tokyo Olympic opening ceremony has apologised after an outcry over old interviews in which he discussed bullying disabled schoolmates, the latest scandal for organisers.

Telegraph article doesn't go into more details than what I posted in the OP.

That blog you've posted seems to be the one that's been translated in that blogspot blog post.
Oh, good. I didn't see the threadmark until now. May as well just quote that post in the OP so people are sure to see it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, reading the interview was beyond heart-wrenching, what those kids had to go through by his hands. This motherfucker was clearly a truly, truly vile fucking sadist who admitted to torturing disabled classmates psychologically and physically and then still laughed about while describing it in detail years later. Fuck this goddamn monster and the Olympic committee.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope at least one of his grandchildren gets bullied too

1st off. LOL at thinking this edit is any better than what you wrote previously.

2nd, why stop at one grandkid. If this is your thought process why not make it oh I dunno 5, no 10. I mean, he bullied multiple kids. Really gotta make sure it balances out ya know. But then, what if he doesn't have 10 grandkids? And is 10 even really enough? If its just even stevens that's not really a punishment is it? Let's go 20 to really be sure and include great grandkids too, just to be sure we get all of em yeah. Good stuff.

Jun 17, 2019
So any chance the music community will tell him to go fuck himself? At least the international community. Then again, the Tokyo Olympics committee hasn't been the best about anything. They are actually trying to find a Ugandan Athlete who ran off after saying he wants to stay in Japan. Not to mention that they're having an honor system set up for people not to leave their hotels in Ginza. Apparently Athletes, theIOC and others are not doing Quarantine.

Not to mention the French Father who is on a hunger strike and is gonna meet with Marcon when he visits Japan. His wife (a Japanese citizen they married in France while she was there working) took their two kids. So he's been on a hunger strike to get the authorities attention on this during the Olympics.

This shit head on top of that, and s bunch of other political issues along with a state of Emergency set up. This is some level of BS that they can't at least replace this guy or at least say, we won't put his songs on official Olympics merchandise or something.

yc62k

Mar 7, 2019
Cornelius is an artist I really admired, I am shocked at this. He comes across as completely cavalier about his unbelievable sadism in the old interview. Stomach churning stuff.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Off-topic to an extent, but I've always wondered if the Japanese high school experience as portrayed in their media is anywhere close to being real. Like the level of bullying portrayed is eerily similar to what he says he did.

I'd be interested to see if he's done anything recently in terms of atoning via charity work etc.
It is the same bullying you would find else where. Just couple bullying with a lot of studying and you get health issues.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Extremely disappointing, I was a big fan of his music in the 90s when Fantasma came out. As far as bullying goes, that is extreme behaviour against a vulnerable population, it's really beyond bullying. His age doesn't excuse the behaviour there at all.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, the Tokyo Olympics committee hasn't been the best about anything. They are actually trying to find a Ugandan Athlete who ran off after saying he wants to stay in Japan. Not to mention that they're having an honor system set up for people not to leave their hotels in Ginza. Apparently Athletes, theIOC and others are not doing Quarantine.

They've also invited Mori to the IOC welcome party, you know... the guy who had to resign...
www3.nhk.or.jp

IOCバッハ会長らの歓迎会 40人余りで開催へ | NHKニュース

【NHK】東京オリンピック・パラリンピック組織委員会は18日、IOC=国際オリンピック委員会のバッハ会長などを招いて東京の迎賓館で…

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Yea thats not bullying, those are acts of a psychopath, this guy needs to be locked up and kept away from society.