• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy what happens in schools globally without punishment that would result in jail time in any other setting. Hell older kids abusing the younger ones is basically encouraged in some places.

Punishment decades later is usually pointless but this case is made even worse by the lack of remorse to the point he's glorifying in years later.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Fuck - thanks for the title update. Not that I knew much about him but I have spent money on his work. Ugh.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
Sick fuck. I heard about this a while ago but it sounded so crazy I thought they made it up. He basically bragged about it too. Sucks my musical heroes YMO worked with him as a live support member while this was out in the open, and he's still working with Takahashi in the band Metafive, I was really looking forward to their new album too. I understand everyone has a past but this is on another level, just don't get how they can work with him knowing this shit.

Also a shame the previous committee featuring Shiina Ringo and Mikiko got ousted now replaced with all men.

Oct 26, 2017
Sick fuck. I heard about this a while ago but it sounded so crazy I thought they made it up. He basically bragged about it too. Sucks my musical heroes YMO worked with him as a live support member while this was out in the open, and he's still working with Takahashi in the band Metafive, I was really looking forward to their new album too. I understand everyone has a past but this is on another level, just don't get how they can work with him knowing this shit.

Also a shame the previous committee featuring Shiina Ringo and Mikiko got ousted now replaced with all men.

Maaaannn had no idea SR was on the Olympic committee! Woulda been so cool to maybe have seen Jihen perform at the Olympics now that they've reformed too

I only know Cornelius from his work on Metafive, pretty fuckin disappointing to hear about this

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Kids can be pretty vile in grade school. I definitely remember seeing or hearing about bullying on this scale. If he was really bragging about that in his mid 20s, he's a total loser and psycho.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"He is sorry for his past actions and he has said that he wants to act with high morals."

when-i-made-a124cfad0c.jpg

Want to act with high morals? Quit.

Jun 17, 2019
I have no love for this guy and these acts were reprehensible, but he's not going to jail for teenaged bullying and violence that happened 30 years ago, however gross it was and however shocking we find it. Just want people to have a realistic expectation: there is absolutely no outcome where he goes to jail, for a number of reasons, including the fact that he was a minor at the time.

There was also that official who said it would be "funny and cute" if Naomi Watanabe dressed up like a "pig" for the opening ceremony: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56438842

I knew that guy was a ass, but I didn't think he was that disgusting! Naomi is awesome and doesn't deserve that treatment.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck, I've been a fan of his since Fantasma. Seen him live and with Salyu multiple times.

now it turns out he's a total prick.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck what a monster.

I understand if he can't be charged for crimes as a minor, but every single company and institution needs to boycott this motnerfucker for the rest of his life. Shame on the Olympics assholes.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Kids can be pretty vile in grade school. I definitely remember seeing or hearing about bullying on this scale. If he was really bragging about that in his mid 20s, he's a total loser and psycho.

The stories seems to span all the way from when he was in elementary second grade at 7 all the way up to high school graduation at 17/18.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This is absolutely vile. "Not that person anymore" yeah maybe not, but some things are just too much. Especially as he has recounted the story as an adult without any shame.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by Commentary, Whataboutism
I want to see this same amount of outrage the next time we hear about the new Dragon Quest.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
wow, i had never heard about this stuff. teenagers do stupid and cruel things, but there's a level of sadism here that is definitely not accounted for adequately in any of his responses, least of all the interview he gave in his 20s. very sad to see.

Oct 30, 2017
This is horrible. One of my all time favorites, honestly. I am ashamed that I held him in high regard for decades, especially knowing this interview was given prior to my becoming a fan. Just go away, dude. That's all you can do for now.

Oct 30, 2017
He's in a band called Metafive, who are releasing their second album soon. Several high profile/famous Japanese musicians are in the band. Let's hope they distance themselves, even if it affects their plans…

Metafive is a Japanese band. It consists of Yukihiro Takahashi, Towa Tei, Keigo Oyamada, Yoshinori Sunahara, Tomohiko Gondo, and Leo Imai.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Well, fuck. I love his music, very formative. That's shitty of him to have been such a bully, it sounds horrific.

What do you think he could do to redeem himself? I mean, he's apologized, offered to meet with the victims to make amends... Maybe he could fund an anti-bullying campaign, or make dontations? I mean, what does someone like this do? I don't think "disappearing from society" is really an answer...

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary Around a History of Abuse
He didn't. It was the reporter of the bullying article that wanted to set up a meeting.
Ah, I see. Well, do we think that would be the best way to make things better? It's an interesting question, he did this presumably ~34 years ago when he was still a child. While it's all undoubtedly horrible, and I am not saying he should get off scot free, but what can someone do to redeem themselves at this point? When is forgiveness granted/deserved?

Oct 30, 2017
He was formative for me as well. Fantasma is easily the first major album of my teens as far as influence is concerned, honestly. Point isn't far behind. I don't think he can redeem himself. Enjoy the music or don't. I don't know what else to say. I don't really know much about him as a person but I'll never forget this.

All I can think is maybe he should've shown remorse when he first mentioned this in the 90s. Maybe that would've been a first step.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. Well, do we think that would be the best way to make things better? It's an interesting question, he did this presumably ~34 years ago when he was still a child. While it's all undoubtedly horrible, and I am not saying he should get off scot free, but what can someone do to redeem themselves at this point? When is forgiveness granted/deserved?

Maybe they at the very least shouldn't have a guy who made a disabled person eat feces and force em to masturbate in front of other students be involved in the Olympics and Paralympics. Especially when the ceremony is supposed to "celebrate differences, to empathise, and to live side by side with compassion for one another."

Oct 30, 2017
Forgiveness is granted when someone exhibits genuine remorse. This is a story that lingered for 25+ years without an apology. He got caught and now he's sorry. I'm not sure I could forgive this sort of despicable behavior under any circumstance, but he did nothing to make up for this story over the years.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what a sick fuck. And to think he wrote beautiful songs like Wataridori. So strange how a creator's art can be so dissociated from the creator's personality.

edit: And it looks like he's been commissioned not just for the Olympics, but the Paralympics as well - which is all kinds of fucked up. WTF?!

Last edited:

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
Shocking how this guy managed to have a career through all this and I don't understand why the Committee proceeded to keep him considering one of the event's goal was to maintain the Cool Japan image and this is doing the opposite of that.

I wonder which of the creative committee ok'ed this - I struggle to believe Shiina Ringo and a few others would be fine with it, apology or not.

Ringo's committee was dissolved back in December before everything was finalized I assume, which is a shame as she was supposed to be in change of the opening ceremony and could've probably prevented this.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
They could have just gotten a legend like Ryuichi Sakamoto or Haruomi Hosono to do the music, but nooooo...
YMO are good friends with him, he was a band member for their reunion live shows, and he's still working with Takahashi in Metafive, it's a shame this shit has been known about him for a long time yet they still associated with him.

Imagine being Shiina Ringo working planning for years on the opening ceremony only to be replaced with this.

Maaaannn had no idea SR was on the Olympic committee! Woulda been so cool to maybe have seen Jihen perform at the Olympics now that they've reformed too

I only know Cornelius from his work on Metafive, pretty fuckin disappointing to hear about this

Yeah Jihen performing would've been amazing.

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forgive him. WTF...this isn't an idea that should even be put out there. What makes anyone think this person could redeem themselves?

They literally had decades to apologize and try to make things right. Now that public attitude has slightly improved towards the disabled (at a glacial pace) we're supposed to start handing out amnesty passes?

Fuck him. Take all his money and give the rights to his music to some charity. This mother fucker is toxic as nuclear waste and should simply never work or contribute ever again.

Nov 1, 2017
It's an interesting question, he did this presumably ~34 years ago when he was still a child. While it's all undoubtedly horrible, and I am not saying he should get off scot free, but what can someone do to redeem themselves at this point? When is forgiveness granted/deserved?
A good start would have been to not brag about bullying other people in a magazine interview when you're ~25 and then not laugh about it on TV as if you're recalling a good memory when you're ~45, cause it doesn't show much remorse. Also would have been nice if the apology didn't come after all that and only when your Olympic gig was on the line.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually all for forgiveness when it comes to stuff from ages ago. But some things are so profoundly evil that they give me pause. This is one.

He Quit
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Tokyo Olympic composer quits over bullying of disabled children

A Japanese musician who composed some of the music for Friday's opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics has apologized for bullying disabled classmates in the past but continues to stir outcry on social media with growing calls for him to step down, in yet another scandal rocking the already...

Musician Oyamada to quit from team of Olympic opening ceremony

Japanese musician Keigo Oyamada said Monday he will leave the creative team for the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics after admitting that he bullied children with disabilities many years ago.

The 52-year-old musician's resignation, coming just before Friday's opening ceremony, is the latest occurrence to beset the Olympics, which will be held mostly without spectators amid the coronavirus pandemic.

It followed days of controversy over his confessions in magazines published in the 1990s in which he boasted about bullying people in his childhood.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
A good start would have been to not brag about bullying other people in a magazine interview when you're ~25 and then not laugh about it on TV as if you're recalling a good memory when you're ~45, cause it doesn't show much remorse. Also would have been nice if the apology didn't come after all that and only when your Olympic gig was on the line.

didn't know about laughing about it when he was 45, only knew about that old interview... which is way more recent and there's no more excuse there imo, damn

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

He bragged and laughed about it as an adult. He obviously doesn't care about forgiveness.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
He was TWENTY FIVE? An apology won't cut it. Man should be in jail.

He talked about it in an inter iew when he was 25 and 45 yrar old, his bullying is from leotard to high-school.

He isn't interest in meeting the victim and interviewer had tried to see if they are willing and he and vixte. Are not and he doesn't believe it is bullying and not sorry, only make a apology after news of old interview surface and international attention is on him

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
www.tmz.com

Tokyo Olympics Composer Quits, Apologizes for Disturbing Bullying of Disabled Kid

One of the composers for the Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremony has quit, following a resurfaced interview in which he brags about bullying a disabled kid.

The interviews were conducted when he was not yet famous, but they resurfaced recently when it was announced he would be involved in the opening ceremony.

Oyamada -- who writes under the name "Cornelius" and is popular in Japan for creating the Shibuya-kei beat -- has apologized for his "very immature" behavior ... and is backing out of the gig.

Good.

edit: ah this was posted already

Oct 30, 2017
YMO are good friends with him, he was a band member for their reunion live shows, and he's still working with Takahashi in Metafive, it's a shame this shit has been known about him for a long time yet they still associated with him.

Imagine being Shiina Ringo working planning for years on the opening ceremony only to be replaced with this.

Yeah Jihen performing would've been amazing.
Right about YMO and MetaFive. If you're looking to other musicians right now, see what they're doing about their relationship to Keigo Oyamada. I an doubtful Harry Hosono will quit Metafive, so if he's anyone's hope for a "decent" replacement for Cornelius look elsewhere. Oyamada/Cornelius's absence from Metafive would certainly harm the band; his style is quite unique. But that's life… sacrifice, right?