• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 19, 2020
TOKYO -- Can a pair of unique spectacles banish nearsightedness without surgical intervention? Japan's Kubota Pharmaceutical Holdings says its wearable device can do just that, and it plans to start releasing the product in Asia, where many people grapple with myopia.

The device, which the company calls Kubota Glasses or smart glasses, is still being tested. It projects an image from the lens of the unit onto the wearer's retina to correct the refractive error that causes nearsightedness. Wearing the device 60 to 90 minutes a day corrects myopia according to the Japanese company.

Kubota Pharmaceutical has not disclosed additional details on how the device works. Through further clinical trials, it is trying to determine how long the effect lasts after the user wears the device, and how many days in total the user must wear the device to achieve a permanent correction for nearsightedness.

Myopia is often results from the cornea and the retina in the eye being too far apart. This inhibits the proper focusing of light as it enters the eye and causes distant objects to look blurry.

Asian are prone to nearsightedness. Of people aged 20 and under, 96% of South Koreans, 95% of Japanese, 87% of Hong Kongers, 85% of Taiwanese and 82% of Singaporeans are affected by the condition, according to Kubota.

To assess the device's effectiveness, Kubota is conducting clinical tests on about 25 people in the U.S. "We intend to sell it first in Asia, which has a high ratio of nearsighted people," said Ryo Kubota, the company's president.

The Tokyo-based company plans to begin selling the device in Asian markets, including Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia, in the second half of the year. It is considering whether to offer it through local sales agents or online.

Kubota began clinical trials on the device last July after confirming the therapeutic effect of the mechanism using a desktop system. It is also developing a contact lens-type myopia correction device.

Kubota, which made its debut on the Tokyo Stock Exchange's Mothers market for startups in December 2016, develops drugs and devices for the treatment of vision problems.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Health-Care/Myopia-correcting-smart-glasses-from-Japan-to-be-sold-in-Asia

This would be HUGE if it actualy works. Wearing that thing for 60-90 min a day and after a time you have permanently corrected your nearsightedness? Sign me up!

It looks kina weird tho:
https3a2f2fs3-ap-nortb6j3g.jpg

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, this would be great if it works. Now I wish they had something similar for Astigmatism.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I do that, and when I'm done I suddenly realize that I feel naked without my glasses.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
This would eat LASIK's lunch if it actually works. Seems like a much less risky solution (and even LASIK isn't that risky)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this yesterday I think. It would be pretty cool, but... without peer reviews and further scrutiny consider me a non believer.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would it also work if one eye has astigmatism? I think not so I can only correct one eye if it should work.
But if it really works, I would totally use it!

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Need to know how it works for astigmatism before I can proclaim this technology as truly world-changing.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Myopia is caused by a slightly elongated eyeball which causes an issue with light reaching the focal point which is located near the back of the eye. Lasik removes a certain amount of the corneal tissue to alleviate this issue. Intraocular contact lenses deal with issue the same as regular contacts but injected into the eyeball.

Interesting to the mechanism by which this would fix the issue.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
It would be amazing if these work.

Personally I've had LASIK surgery, it was the best 2000€ I've ever spent.
Being free of glasses is great after needing them for over 10 years.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Sign me up. I hate wearing glasses and I'm practically blind without them. I've been tempted to do LASIK for a while.

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who works in the field, if you are not correcting axial length or corneal topography. I want to know just how projecting images bypasses what causes refractive error in the first place. They don't describe how it works or any peer reviewed journals about it.

They are also developing contacts for myopia control. We have ortho K lenses, bifocal contacts, even executive bifocal glasses for myopia control.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will mostly be for kids from the range of 3-9. It's essentially will be used for myopia control. There's already a few trials going on for similar devices. Based on what I have seen, it's a promising start but we will see.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That would be dope. I've looked at Lasik as well as stuff like implanted contacts and corrective contacts, but there's just a lot of risks involved, hassle and diminishing returns. I'm fine with just using contacts or wearing glasses but this would be pretty awesome.

I have relatively mild case at -3.5 and -2.75 with very slight astigmatism. But without glasses or contact I find my vision is trash beyond 2 feet. Would be awesome if this could work for me even if partially.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
"Asians are prone to nearsightedness."

I did not know this, interesting

Oct 27, 2017
The big question is permanence, like they said. We already have contacts that can "correct" nearsightedness, but must be used nightly:

Myopia Control - Do GP Contact Lenses Control Myopia in Children?

Slowing the progression of nearsightedness may be one of the benefits of GP contact lenses for some young people, according to research.
My son used these contacts but you can only use them if you are under a certain prescription. He absolutely hated them, hard rigid contacts that were very painful every night. Had to be helped from the bathroom to his bedroom because he couldn't open his eyes after putting them in, shitty sleep and they would sometimes pop out in his sleep so when he woke up he could only see in one eye and not the other. Had to always have extra contacts just in case that happened. He said never again it! Was an absolute nightmare and extreme waste of money as insurance didn't really cover it, plus you're on the hook if one breaks in your sleep. Xonsidering how easy using contacts is, Especially dailies, it's a no brainier to use them until he's ready for lasik

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
My son used these contacts but you can only use them if you are under a certain prescription. He absolutely hated them, hard rigid contacts that were very painful every night. Has to be helped from the bathroom to his bedroom because he couldn't open his eyes after putting them in, shitty sleep and they would sometimes pop out so he could see in one eye and not the other. Had to always have extra contacts just in case that happened. He said never again it! Was an absolute nightmare and extreme waste of money as insurance didn't really cover it, plus you're on the hook if one breaks in your sleep. Xonsidering how easy using contacts is, Especially dailies, it's a no brainier to use them until he's ready for lasik
Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the perspective. My ex loved them and used them regularly. But yeah, contacts can definitely be hit or miss in terms of comfort.

OP
OP
Joseph Joestar
Jun 19, 2020
Another older article with more details:

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kubota Vision Inc. (Kubota Vision), a clinical-stage specialty ophthalmology company and wholly-owned subsidiary of Kubota Pharmaceutical Holdings Co., Ltd. (Tokyo 4596), today announced that the company achieved a milestone by completing a first spectacle-style wearable prototype based on Kubota Glasses technology.

Kubota Vision conducted a clinical study in early 2020 with an electronic tabletop optical projection device that embodied Kubota Glasses technology (Photo 1). The results of the study demonstrated that axial length decreases with the application of projected myopically-defocused images in the test eye compared to the control eye, which has not been reported in the literature. The company also completed a successful proof-of-concept (POC) clinical study to validate the concept of a wearable myopia-control device based on Kubota Glasses technology in August 2020 (Photo 2). Based on these results, the company has completed the first spectacle-style wearable prototype based on Kubota Glasses technology (Photo 3).

Kubota Vision continues to advance its program. Further clinical studies will be conducted to verify the changes in axial length induced by myopically-defocused virtual image projection over a longer period of time. The company is also working on product design improvements and plans additional clinical studies for regulatory approvals.

Ryo Kubota, MD, PhD, Chairman, President and CEO of Kubota Vision Inc., stated, "It is always a challenge to replicate the results and performance of a larger device in a smaller device. However, with our experts around the world collaborating and applying the experience, knowledge and skills gained through our PBOS (miniature OCT) device being developed with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), we have been successful in advancing the value in this myopia control device as well. Our commitment to treat patients around the world drives our continued efforts, and it is our goal to bring our products to them as quickly as possible."

About Kubota Glasses Technology

Kubota Glasses technology works to reduce the increase in axial length associated with myopia by projecting myopically-defocused virtual images generated using micro-LEDS on the peripheral visual field to actively stimulate the retina. Passive stimulation using myopic defocus is already in use in the US with a contact lens, "MiSight[SUP]®[/SUP] 1 day" by CooperVision, which is U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved to slow the progression of myopia. This product, which uses multifocal contact lens technology, passively stimulates the entire peripheral retina with light myopically defocused by the non-central power of the contact lens. Kubota Glasses technology leverages nanotechnology in its electronic glasses-based device and seeks to reduce the progression of myopia by actively stimulating the retina for shorter periods while maintaining high-quality central vision and not affecting daily activities.
www.businesswire.com

Kubota Vision Provides Update on Kubota Glasses – Wearable Device for Myopia Control

Kubota Vision Inc. (Kubota Vision), a clinical-stage specialty ophthalmology company and wholly-owned subsidiary of Kubota Pharmaceutical Holdings Co.