• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm visiting Japan for my first time out of the states, and I've already seen the light with their transportation, but another big thing for me has been their arcade scene.

So far what I've seen / played in the arcades around Tokyo are

1.) Fate:GO Arcade is actually everywhere
2.) Ship waifu game is also everywhere
3.) A lot of UFO machines that seem to actually use strategy (won a few figures)
4). Lotta FG games
5.) SAVE DATA!

I want to highlight that last part an first 2 parts, so if anyone doesn't know what Fate: GO is, it's a mobile turn based RPG gacha game, the arcade version is largely the same, but battles are basically in a 3D arena and real time. It took awhile but I was able to set up a aime card so I could play the game, found out a few things

1) all my data is saved no matter what machine I use with this aime card.
2) the machine dispenses cards (first one is free others are $1 per)
3) these cards all have nfc save data on them and you use them to build decks to play the game, these cards can be leveled up and etc.

I played for a few hours and bought a few cards, which while not cheap, was a cool and oddly satisfying sense of progression that we just don't have here. No progression games, no FG games at bigger arcade chains, claw machines with uninteresting/broad prizes that seem lower in chance. Sadly I don't think we could ever get something like this here due to low foot traffic unlike Japan. I could see maybe Pokeman, Yu-Gi-Oh or MTG makinh a scaled down nfc version of their games and even then it would probably be restricted to a few stores.

My point is, Japanese arcades are dope and wish we could get something more like that in the US.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
If you have a round 1 nearby, then you can get a lot of the same experiences there. There aren't ccg games there (which there have been a lot of in arcade history) but of them all, the only one I could see us getting one day is Dragon Ball Super Heroes.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I played Street Fighter 4 at the big arcade (edit: HEY, as mentioned below) in Akihabara and I have never been bodied like that. My mind was being read!

It was beautiful.

I also went to one in Nara which was really nice, I beat someone at an Initial D game there!!

Oct 28, 2017
Go to Hirose Entertainment Yard on the main street of Akihabara if you can. Its the best arcade for variety of games, not full of claw machines either. I much prefer it to Taito stations.

There's also Mikado Game Centre just outside the Takadanobaba train station in Tokyo. Loads and loads of classic schmups, fighting games and other things there. Its heaven. 50 yen Third Strike!!!

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yup, I don't go so often just because it really can be a money sink but during vacation periods I always hit up Grand Chateau in Kyobashi for some Gundam EXVS 2 action. Been going to that same arcade for the Gundam Vs series for over a decade now!

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Go to Hirose Entertainment Yard on the main street of Akihabara if you can. Its the best arcade for variety of games, not full of claw machines either. I much prefer it to Taito stations.

There's also Mikado Game Centre just outside the Takadanobaba train station in Tokyo. Loads and loads of classic schmups, fighting games and other things there. Its heaven. 50 yen Third Strike!!!

Yep this person knows--HEY is one of the best arcades in Japan and has floors and floors of classic games, and some special 10 yen machines too.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think arcades in japan are also having an overall rough time aside some major hotspots. At least it was years ago last I heard. I remember when Chinatown Fair got SF4 arcade and then the update cabs with AE in them before it went to Next Level. I went after school every friday with $20 to burn. Was a fucking glorious time. Reminds me that I should probably hit up Next Level in the near future.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Is there a reason video recording is forbidden in Akihabara (and I would assume other arcades)?? I was recording a guy playing a game I had mever seen before (its a game where you use your hands to touch the circular screen and it seems like a rhythm game.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Most of the nice arcades I used to go when I moved to Japan (late 2000's) have been replaced by fucking pizzerias or supermarkets. I really digged their 80's style (the one near my first place was called "computer land". Now all that remains are the very big ones and I really don't like them (I'm talking about Tokyo and Osaka here). I'm not saying this to be snob, but I'm starting to really miss that low tech 80's mood in Japan in general. Now I'm in Europe for 2 years, and I really don't know if I'll still like living in Japan in 2020.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the table flipping game we found in Japan at one point (can't remember where, we hit up Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, but honestly it's probably not that hard to find anyways). And yeah, they wouldn't let us record video there, either.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Is there a reason video recording is forbidden in Akihabara (and I would assume other arcades)?? I was recording a guy playing a game I had mever seen before (its a game where you use your hands to touch the circular screen and it seems like a rhythm game.
Probably just the fact that in general you are not supposed to film people in public here. It's a big no no to film someone without their express permission.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It is? Oops I've only not recorded in stores

*Really I haven't recorded anything, just taken pics, my wife recorded me playing Fate though

Oct 28, 2017
I miss the table flipping game we found in Japan at one point (can't remember where, we hit up Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, but honestly it's probably not that hard to find anyways). And yeah, they wouldn't let us record video there, either.

Cho Chabudai Gaeshi is the name.

Japan is strongly into privacy laws. You ever see them blur peoples faces or cover them with emoticons in photos?

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Most of the nice arcades I used to go when I moved to Japan (late 2000's) have been replaced by fucking pizzerias or supermarkets. I really digged their 80's style (the one near my first place was called "computer land". Now all that remains are the very big ones and I really don't like them (I'm talking about Tokyo and Osaka here). I'm not saying this to be snob, but I'm starting to really miss that low tech 80's mood in Japan in general. Now I'm in Europe for 2 years, and I really don't know if I'll still like living in Japan in 2020.

Really? I know there have been a few closures of famous retro arcades in the past decade, but most of the best ones are still around. Kohatsu in Osaka and Mikado in Tokyo being the two sacred grounds that are still booming. There is also Zarigani in Osaka which I only discovered recently that is all 80s arcade goodness.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you allowed to drink beer at Japanese arcades? My dream after work activity would be to go to an arcade, have a beer and play a few rounds of fighting games. Online play kind of scratches that itch, but I would prefer to be there in person.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Are you allowed to drink beer at Japanese arcades? My dream after work activity would be to go to an arcade, have a beer and play a few rounds of fighting games. Online play kind of scratches that itch, but I would prefer to be there in person.

No. But no one is going to stop you from going to an adjacent family mart to crush some singles.

Really? I know there have been a few closures of famous retro arcades in the past decade, but most of the best ones are still around. Kohatsu in Osaka and Mikado in Tokyo being the two sacred grounds that are still booming. There is also Zarigani in Osaka which I only discovered recently that is all 80s arcade goodness.

I know a bunch of the 50 yen arcades, like Konta Gon, closed.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved my time with the arcade during my trip in japan.
UFO catcher there are the best and more rewarding I ever played!
As usual for these kind of things you need both LUCK and strategy, but the prizes are fantastic, and its actually much more fair than the one we have here in italy.
I also won 2 great action figures without spending much at the end... Lupin and Goku (Dragon Quest edition). :)

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved my time with the arcade during my trip in japan.
UFO catcher there are the best and more rewarding I ever played!
As usual for these kind of things you need both LUCK and strategy, but the prizes are fantastic, and its actually much more fair than the one we have here in italy.
I also won 2 great action figures without spending much at the end... Lupin and Goku (Dragon Quest edition). :)

I spoke to a guy who had two huge heaving plastic bags of shit from claw games. Said it was his first night there and he'd already spent $200 and got all the shit in the bags. He told us he does this every time he visits and sells the figurines to the 2nd hand shops nearby in Akiba for profit, and funds his holiday that way. Absolute madman, wish I got a picture with him because he was real chill and nice.

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a round 1 nearby, then you can get a lot of the same experiences there. There aren't ccg games there (which there have been a lot of in arcade history) but of them all, the only one I could see us getting one day is Dragon Ball Super Heroes.

Yeah, I haven't been able to travel to Japan, but going to Round 1 feels like the next best thing here in the US.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I know a bunch of the 50 yen arcades, like Konta Gon, closed.

Yeah, we lost one of those in this area a long time ago. I think the old 50 yen haunts I used to hit up in Kyoto are still around though. At least they were when I last visted a couple of years ago.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I know I wouldn't mind getting many of the types of arcade games they have in Japan here (like those mech shooters), plus with the whole save system, they sound pretty cool... shame they're probably going to be stuck as Japan exclusive forever, cause at least for me, I feel like they would rejuvenate the arcade scene and make me go to one much more often!

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend and I went to a Round 1 a few months ago. I swear we spent at least a $100 on those claw machines, lol!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I'm not a big arcade guy and I am probably not knowledgeable about the most famous venues, so my message is just a matter of personal perception really. The ones I am talking about were relatively small, often in dirty buildings, and really close to what I imagined an arcade in Japan would be before actually moving to Japan.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Round 1 has been expanding to the United States the last few years and they have Nesica, Banapass and E-amusement cards, though they dont seem the have the special e-amusement cards that Konami sells for events. The fighting games are slightly dated, theyve only got launch Tekken 7 for instance, but atleast here they have a whole corner filled with them, and theyre all the style where each player gets their own machine. There's also gotta be like 30 UFO machines here.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Arcades are the reason why Dissidia is probably the game I've spent the most in my whole life.
Spent a little less than 30.000 yen in arcades + bought ps4 and steam versions

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Echoing everyone recommending Taito HEY! at Akihabara. Decent selection of arcade games and claw machines and not as stingy (I got more plays on Taiko no Tetsujin with what I paid compared to Taito Station or Sega). The staff members even help you out if you're having trouble getting a prize at a claw machine.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not a big arcade guy and I am probably not knowledgeable about the most famous venues, so my message is just a matter of personal perception really. The ones I am talking about were relatively small, often in dirty buildings, and really close to what I imagined an arcade in Japan would be before actually moving to Japan.

Yeah, some of the real old dingy 80s arcades have slowly died out, but in my experience they were often (not always) the extremely low effort ones with fairly bad maintenance and care.

There are still new retro arcades popping up, which is great to see.

I just discovered Zarigani last year and I believe it only opened in 2016 or so. I wish I knew about it sooner! It's run by a true arcade connoisseur who puts a lot of work into maintaining the machines and searching out rare boards.

レトロゲーセン ザリガニhttps://twitter.com/RETROZARIGANI

There was even a recent arcade here in Osaka that only focused on U.S. Arcade games which was fairly interesting. It was only open on certain days though, and I am not sure if they are still running it. Can't remember the name of the place for the life of me...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah, some of the real old dingy 80s arcades have slowly died out, but in my experience they were often (not always) the extremely low effort ones with fairly bad maintenance and care.

There are still new retro arcades popping up, which is great to see.

I just discovered Zarigani last year and I believe it only opened in 2016 or so. I wish I knew about it sooner! It's run by a true arcade connoisseur who puts a lot of work into maintaining the machines and searching out rare boards.

レトロゲーセン ザリガニhttps://twitter.com/RETROZARIGANI

There was even a recent arcade here in Osaka that only focused on U.S. Arcade games which was fairly interesting. It was only open on certain days though, and I am not sure if they are still running it. Can't remember the name of the place for the life of me...

Ok thanks for the heads-up mate, I'll be around in September so I'll look into it.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok thanks for the heads-up mate, I'll be around in September so I'll look into it.

No prob. They are out there doing God's work. I haven't gotten to try it myself but I recently heard they got their hands on a AfterBurner 2 Double Cradle machine that is in close to impeccable condition.

And a Night Striker machine which I have actually never seen before...

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's not just Japanese arcades that are a money sink. We just don't have nearly as many anymore. I wish we had more.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
one of my regrets after my trip to Japan was not exploring more arcades. I briefly went into the sega arcade in Akiba, but we were tired and left. Went through one in Nara but did not play too many games, spent some time in a claw machine arcade near Kyoto but thats it.

But we need more quality arcades around the states. No more dave and busters, like actual arcades

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Mikado is indeed rad. They have an Outrun and Space Harrier machine right next to each other, what more do you need?

Ironically if I go to an arcade, I mostly spend money on games I already know how to play. Why drop HUNDREDS of YEN into a fighting game I have no idea how to play? Where's Metal Slug?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky I guess to have a RoundOne within an hour's drive and a barcade or two.