• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
f0690540ad2d4cc374a876aecc65e828.jpg

News source: Yahoo (Japanese)
He died of pneumonia on August 10th, but it was just made public today.

He was a pretty popular choice for directors doing yakuza films in the 60s/70s, like Kinji Fukasaku and Toshio Masuda. You can take a look at more of his roles here:
letterboxd.com

Films starring Tetsuya Watari

Films starring Tetsuya Watari

He'd be most well known here likely for his role as Shintaro Kazama.

Oct 25, 2017
I just played Yakuza 0 last year and I always fascinated by this man relation with Kiriyu (protagonist) in some scenes and it was incredibly entertained. RIP Tetsuya-san.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I watched Tokyo Drifter very recently, he was great in that. Didn't know he was Kamaza in Yakuza too.

RIP.

More of Watari's work

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Watari starred in two of Kinji Fukasaku's best yakuza films, Graveyard of Honor (1975) and Yakuza Graveyard (1976):

91p8EaeygKL.jpg

81LHFvxzTzL.jpg

Both of those films are incredible and absolutely worth seeking out, along with any of Watari's other yakuza roles, such as Tokyo Drifter and Outlaw Gangster VIP. All four of the titles I named have had English friendly releases, with Arrow due to release a new Blu-ray edition of Graveyard of Honor (along with the amazing Takahashi Miike remake) any day now.

Then, heading to the other side of the law, Watari played a two-fisted, tough as nails cop on the Seibu Keisatsu series from 1979-1984:

And, if that wasn't enough, here's Watari delivering the heartfelt ballad "Kuchinashi no Hana":

Farewell to an absolute legend.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Watari starred in two of Kinji Fukasaku's best yakuza films, Graveyard of Honor (1975) and Yakuza Graveyard (1976):

91p8EaeygKL.jpg

81LHFvxzTzL.jpg

Both of those films are incredible and absolutely worth seeking out, along with any of Watari's other yakuza roles, such as Tokyo Drifter and Outlaw Gangster VIP. All four of the titles I named have had English friendly releases, with Arrow due to release a new Blu-ray edition of Graveyard of Honor (along with the amazing Takahashi Miike remake) any day now.

Then, heading to the other side of the law, Watari played a two-fisted, tough as nails cop on the Seibu Keisatsu series from 1979-1984:

And, if that wasn't enough, here's Watari delivering the heartfelt ballad "Kuchinashi no Hana":

Farewell to an absolute legend.

I considered mentioning his music, too. Thank you for the post :)

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I considered mentioning his music, too. Thank you for the post :)

I had no idea until I started reading up on Watari's career that he was also famous as a singer in addition to his film roles! I was surprised to see just how extensive discography was.

Thank you for sharing the news of his passing and giving us a chance to celebrate a legendary career!

Last edited: