• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Per request, please use this as the main JapanERA Covid discussion thread.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Friday a lockdown of Tokyo would have a severe impact on the economy given its huge population and the key role it plays as the center of the country.

"For now, I don't think we need to call a state of emergency. But it's very important to respond appropriately since the Tokyo metropolitan area has a huge population," Abe told parliament.

www.reuters.com

Japan PM says lockdown of Tokyo would have severe impact on economy

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Friday a lockdown of Tokyo would have a severe impact on the economy given its huge population and the key role it plays as the center of the country.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see the US and Brazil are competing to see which of their leaders can fuck up the pandemic response more--.

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED!

Oct 26, 2017
What a dumbass. The long term economic effects of not shutting down far outweigh the short term ones of doing it.

Also, people's lives are at stake!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It's legit baffling to me how they can look at China, Italy and Spain, and still go: "it'll be different here"

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing how long they delayed the Olympics postponement until other nations forced their hand, I think this is another piece of evidence that the situation in Japan is worse than what they are reporting.

Nobody can be this desperate to save face, at the cost of lives.

Mar 18, 2020
Man look

I live in Japan (Osaka) and I can't stand how lightly people are taking it. Masks and TP are sold out but the trains are still cramped and working from home isn't even on the table for most people. Visibly sick people still going to work and managing to cough and sneeze on others to boot because even if you're completely ignoring basic etiquette, no one will say or do anything. Some schools and businesses are doing staggered commuting but it's completely optional. Everything is on the honor system and it's exacerbated by the reports of relatively low numbers of cases and deaths lulling people into a false sense of security.

Shit is skressful

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's like they don't recognize that they have an aging population that would be significantly fucked by an outbreak and their increasingly low birth rate not supported by immigration producing less and less young people to enter the economy to replace those aging out, thus resulting in less and less young people capable of participating in what remains of the economy once they have a significant outbreak would also have a severe impact on the economy.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Man look

I live in Japan (Osaka) and I can't stand how lightly people are taking it. Masks and TP are sold out but the trains are still cramped and working from home isn't even on the table for most people. Visibly sick people still going to work and managing to cough and sneeze on others to boot because even if you're completely ignoring basic etiquette, no one will say or do anything. Some schools and businesses are doing staggered commuting but it's completely optional. Everything is on the honor system and it's exacerbated by the reports of relatively low numbers of cases and deaths lulling people into a false sense of security.

Shit is skressful
All of my friends working there share similar concerns. Sucks to hear. Stay safe.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man look

Shit is skressful

I also live in Osaka, and I can confirm it is business as usual. My work is continuing holding trainings that have more than 50 people in the same room. It's freighting considering the increase of cases in Tokyo and the neighboring prefecture, Hyogo.

Japan was under reporting their numbers because they didn't want to postpone the Olympic, but with the case increases the past couple days— the people of this country should be worried.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I see the US and Brazil are competing to see which of their leaders can fuck up the pandemic response more--.

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED!

I would say AMLO too but fortunately he only says dumb shit. He has given free-range to his Health Secretary and he has being doing things better lately. Still lagging the rest of South America though.

And yeah, if you needed more evidence that capitalists are going to capitalism.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Man look

Shit is skressful

Is there any locale mayors or other national Diet members trying to force change, or voice the concerns of the people?

Wishing you the best. Be safe

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Man look

Shit is skressful
This sounds like a bubble waiting to burst.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The whole "self-restraint" approach they are going for right now won't work. People are still going to go outside, and more people will get sick.

The "self-restraint" warnings are just a prelude to what will come. Tokyo will go into lockdown in about a week. Osaka will follow, probably a week later.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody can be this desperate to save face, at the cost of lives.

I think it's that and they just legitimately do not know.

I was talking to someone who works in one of the city/ward offices and she was talking about the number of calls she's getting (mostly from older people) requesting for tests. She has to turn down a lot of them (due to the criteria they have in place). The argument her office seems to be going with at the moment is - we do not want to administer a false negative, so it's better to wait until we have more reliable testing measures available.

We would be getting very different reporting if they were testing more aggresively. Let's also not ignore the fact that the 3 day weekend from the first day of Spring brought everyoe and their families outside...

Tokyo will go into lockdown in about a week. Osaka will follow, probably a week later.

I went into the supermarket this morning and all the pasta was gone. Ramen dwindling. Rice is flying off the shelves as well. I think a number of people are starting to expect that.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
I live in Tokyo. Despide the "lockdown" we are having this weekend, people will probably go out. Most stores will be open from 10 am till 6 pm too.
I don't trust the numbers because of cases I have read of people with symptoms not getting tested, not getting accepted in hospitals because of the honor code (hospital doesn't want to because if you die, it will damage their image) or going out as if nothing happens. And cases increased just after the Olympics were postponed lol
Abe just cares about the economy above people

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Japan controlling it relatively well compared to other countries?
No, they've been sticking their fingers in their ears.

I read an article in a major Japanese newspaper the other day about how the coronavirus isn't catching on there because Japanese people bow as a greeting instead of shaking hands. They posited that other countries could stem the pandemic by incorporating the bow.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.
I live in Tokyo, I do not trust the numbers on how many are sick. But Abe cares more about money than people.
I live in Tokyo. Despide the "lockdown" we are having this weekend, people will probably go out. Most stores will be open from 10 am till 6 pm too.
I don't trust the numbers because of cases I have read of people with symptoms not getting tested, not getting accepted in hospitals because of the honor code (hospital doesn't want to because if you die, it will damage their image) or going out as if nothing happens. And cases increased just after the Olympics were postponed lol
Abe just cares about the economy above people
Man look

Shit is skressful
Please stay safe. Era chums. 💗

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I guess me and my wife are lucky. She's on complete work from home next week and I'm only going in on the occasional day because the job demands it.

A lot of people talking about this "honour" system though lol

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I work in Tokyo. My company's been doing WFH (not 100% tho) for about a month now. I'm happy we've been taking it relatively seriously compared to other companies in Tokyo, but I'm still worried because if not EVERYONE is doing it, it isn't gonna help much.

Also, I'm starting to run out of TP and I don't wanna worry about how I'm gonna wipe my ass.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo is going into a "soft" lockdown this weekend with the mayor asking people not to go out and many stores closing. Supermarkets are much busier than normal. No one wants an actual lockdown so I believe a lot of people will adhere to staying in this weekend, but I'm sure many won't. I think a full lockdown next week would be too sudden, but I can see it happening within two weeks.

If they were going to do a lockdown they should've done it earlier this month. But no, the fucking Olympics was much more important than adhering to any sort of common sense.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
No big early growth, but it is surging
No, they've been sticking their fingers in their ears.

I read an article in a major Japanese newspaper the other day about how the coronavirus isn't catching on there because Japanese people bow as a greeting instead of shaking hands. They posited that other countries could stem the pandemic by incorporating the bow.
Cases all of a sudden started surging the day after the olympics got cancelled. What a amazing coincidence.

Ha, of course. Yeah they probably weren't testing at all.

This is a bad move. I understand that politicians don't want to be seen as the reason why the economy floundered, but surely they can realize how much worse it would get when everyone gets sick? Especially with Japan's aging population? Where smoking is prevalent?

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Japan's population being generally quite old, this could turn out pretty badly in the end. What incompetent leadership from Abe... Lives are at stake here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Tokyo is going into a "soft" lockdown this weekend with the mayor asking people not to go out and many stores closing. Supermarkets are much busier than normal. No one wants an actual lockdown so I believe a lot of people will adhere to staying in this weekend, but I'm sure many won't. I think a full lockdown next week would be too sudden, but I can see it happening within two weeks.

If they were going to do a lockdown they should've done it earlier this month. But no, the fucking Olympics was much more important than adhering to any sort of common sense.

Not many are listening to the Soft Lockdown though. You have stores that are doing this:
91396819_10157724992702550_2230347461359042560_n.jpg

People need to take it more seriously.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I also live in Osaka, and I can confirm it is business as usual. My work is continuing holding trainings that have more than 50 people in the same room. It's freighting considering the increase of cases in Tokyo and the neighboring prefecture, Hyogo.

Japan was under reporting their numbers because they didn't want to postpone the Olympic, but with the case increases the past couple days— the people of this country should be worried.
Osaka? I just moved to Tokyo. My company is holding training with more ethan 100 people in the same room starting next week. Me included.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Japan controlling it relatively well compared to other countries?
The main key to their success until now was keeping clusters out of the Tokyo metro. Now that they have a few hundred cases there is can spread more rapidly which is obviously scary given how quickly this spread in NYC and how NYC is a fraction of the size.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Can we make this the Japan corona thread?

I'm in Tokyo too.

My company had closed all of March (WFH not possible) but opened again on Tuesday. I was very reluctant to go back because I meet several clients face to face every day. We've closed again this weekend due to the soft lockdown.

The trains have also been absolutely rammed all week, even strangely busy during non rush hours (I take the Yamanote line and Chuo line). The soft lockdown is a joke as long as the trains are still running.

I'm not really happy with the government response, completely passive and reactive as always.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Feels pretty touch and go at the moment here in Japan. I feel we might get a massive spike in cases a few days from now following the gatherings on the previous three day weekend.

On the one hand, I don't really buy into the commonly-held Era narrative that there are secretly hundreds of thousands of cases out there, yet no hospitals or morgues are being overrun. On the other, it is true that Japan isn't testing enough. I give it a 50/50 chance that at least Tokyo is in full lockdown by the end of next week.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

I'm in Tokyo too.

My company had closed all of March (WFH not possible) but opened again on Tuesday. I was very reluctant to go back because I meet several clients face to face every day. We've closed again this weekend due to the soft lockdown.

The trains have also been absolutely rammed all week, even strangely busy during non rush hours (I take the Yamanote line and Chuo line). The soft lockdown is a joke as long as the trains are still running.

I am primary on the Tozai and its normal traffic like usually. Which isn't good because that is one of the worse metro lines in Tokyo. The only silverlining is that people are wearing masks. Talking about Masks, anyone able to find some? I cannot find any.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I am primary on the Tozai and its normal traffic like usually. Which isn't good because that is one of the worse metro lines in Tokyo. The only silverlining is that people are wearing masks. Talking about Masks, anyone able to find some? I cannot find any.

I lucked out and bought a box late January in anticipation of hay fever season. Seems like they are increasing production which should start having an effect early April.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017

I'm in Tokyo too.

I'm not really happy with the government response, completely passive and reactive as always.
I'd love to have a Japan corona thread too. Shit is getting wild here.