• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-greet-athletes-with-messages-from-space.html

Organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games announced plans Wednesday to launch model robots from the anime "Mobile Suit Gundam" into space aboard a satellite that will broadcast messages of support to athletes.

In the project conducted in collaboration with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency and the University of Tokyo, two 10-centimeter models depicting Gundam and Char's Zaku robots from the animation series will be sent into orbit on a 30-cm long, 10-cm wide micro satellite.

The "G Satellite," with an electronic bulletin board for displaying messages, will be sent to the International Space Station aboard a supply ship next March and later launched from the ISS.

After the satellite enters Earth orbit, it will deploy the bulletin board and model robots, capturing images of them with its onboard camera.

The organizers will share the images, including congratulatory messages to athletes in multiple languages, through social media and other outlets.

InXonoB.jpg

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Launching Gundam units into space?? Don't think Zeon will take this lying down!!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we survive as a species for the next century our atmosphere is gonna be thick with this kind of trash laying around.

It's 10cm now, but giant space billboards are coming!

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Great, more useless fucking space junk to keep track of flying around the globe.

Edit: Oh well it seems that the models are not that big and they are not the sole purpose of the launch. I suppose its not that big of an expense.

Last edited:

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
And it was known during UC 01 that the Olympic Commission revealed and accepted the participation of all humans, be them on firm terra or spacenoid. These "Newtypes" as they were called were to be equal but the inner dissent of a vast majority of the countries would not have it.

And so, Laplace's Box was sealed and shot to space in the form of a toy so that none would be the wiser.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I know it's all fun and games, but we already have enough shit up there. It also doesn't matter if they are small. They still become hazards.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If only all Olympics were as fun as the Tokyo 2020 ones and not seen as some overarching prestige statement with a high human and economic cost like the recent ones in Beijing Rio and sochi

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the inspiration for Operation British is Operation Japanese. The difference being they're using Spacenoid Grade models. I just hope the ISS doesn't get taken out by the massive runners left behind in orbit.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
This is how we get to G Gundam! ... as well as the end of the Gundam Breaker 3.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's not what gets sent to space with Gundam, it is what comes back.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I know it's all fun and games, but we already have enough shit up there. It also doesn't matter if they are small. They still become hazards.
As long as it's going to burn up on entry it should be OK. Don't be like Elon Musk levels of stupid and throw space junk cars up there for dumb publicity stunts.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Seems like an extravagant waste of money and resources to me but I threw away the crusts on my pizza today so who am I to talk.