• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, It always takes a thread like this to remind me how many people in this forum are ok with death penalties.

It's scary how popular that sentiment is.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
In some severe cases, i'd have to actually agree with having a death penalty. Not like in the US where innocent people have been sentenced, but in clear-cut cases like this i wouldn't bat an eye.

One example is here in Norway. Breivik in 2011 commited a heinous act and now the tax payers are paying to keep him alive and fed in jail. If Hitler or some other form of human scum was alive today, would a death sentence not be in order?
That's the same dumb argument. If Hitler was alive would you not do the same thing Hitler did to Hitler?

It's murder no matter who does it. It's a very easy to define line that shouldn't be crossed by anyone.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why doesn't it save money if it is executed after 2 years in prison versus potentially 50 years in prison?
Maybe it would, but there are several objections to that.

There's precedent for people being cleared of all charges after being on death row for longer than two years. Considering factors like institutional racism in justice systems, we shouldn't be in a rush to kill prisoners. It would be highly irresponsible to evaluate the potential merits of the death penalty in a vacuum, where we imagine that wrongful convictions don't occur, or new information that justifies a reduced sentence never comes to light.

A common response to this point is "Why not just execute people who were convicted of horrific crimes beyond reasonable doubt?" Well, that description should apply to every single person on death row. And yet, as we know, innocent people have been destroyed by the system regardless. We just plain can't count on human beings exercising correct moral judgment flawlessly, 100% of the time. We can't discount the possibility of corruption, bias, or other factors contributing to wrongful or excessive sentencing.

Another objection is, to consider money as a factor in the preservation or dignity of human lives -- even those of violent criminals -- is a morally repugnant facet of a broken system. Prisons should never be for-profit. Prisons should focus exclusively on rehabilitation under humane conditions.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you. I've been particularly thinking about this since the thread about the Trump admin speedrunning executions before his term is over. A lot of people were obviously shocked at the execution of Brandon Bernard a black man that had killed no one, but set fire (purportedly under threat) to a man and woman murdered by his partners in crime; someone who had since (20+ years!) remade his life in prison and become a model inmate and a completely different person. However, many others were entirely on board with the execution of Lisa Montgomery, a woman who (spoilering because horrific) killed a pregnant woman and cut her open to claim her child as her own.

And, I mean, "fuck this monster" would probably be the normal gut reaction of any normal human being, but then you read the less publicised part of how she had in turn been physically and sexually assaulted her whole life (raped and beaten by her stepfather as a kid; threatened with a gun at 14 by her mother when she found out; beaten by both of her husbants), resulting in permanent brain damage, psychosis, bipolar disorder and PSTD, and, well... it feels like it's victims all the way down; that society keeps failing people over and over. That labelling them "subhuman monsters" and killing them is just a convenient way to sweep them under the rug, so as to avoid any collective responsibility.
This is such a crucial point. It's utterly horrifying how eager society is to treat criminals as fundamentally evil subhumans, when so many of them are victims of their circumstances. It's such a grotesque failure in empathy and basic reasoning.

Crimes don't just happen. How can people be held responsible for their own actions if their actions resulted from abuse, neglect, mental illness, or other powerful factors? But many, many people are just plain unwilling to follow this chain of reasoning, because it leads to uncomfortable questions about free will, and our traditional assumptions about responsibility.

Edit: Jesus, apologies for the triple post. Mobile is a nightmare sometimes. I could have sworn there were replies below my earlier posts.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Why do you guys always bring up "innocent people who have been executed" in threads like this to argue against the death penalty.

This man is not innocent. People obviously don't want innocent people executed at the hands of the government.

There's no "ifs", he did it. Let people say he deserves to die and move on. Your moral compasses don't need go haywire in every death penalty thread of a confirmed guilty serial killer. They sure as hell don't go off as much when it's a dead politician or rich person you don't like either.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Why do you guys always bring up "innocent people who have been executed" in threads like this to argue against the death penalty.

This man is not innocent. People obviously don't want innocent people executed at the hands of the government.

There's no "ifs", he did it. Let people say he deserves to die and move on. Your moral compasses don't need go haywire in every death penalty thread of a confirmed guilty serial killer. They sure as hell don't go off as much when it's a dead politician or rich person you don't like either.

because it's still a valid argument? agreeing to kill someone who did it makes it open to the risk you'l kill someone innocent later on!

And even then, what makes you so sure he did it? His confession? Guess what, japan has a tons of false confessions! What about the DNA you will tell me... well what if he was set-up? How can you know for sure?

I mean yeah he probably did it, but even the slightest doubt justice can get something wrong is enough argument to ban death penalty

(i'll just add again than i'm against death penality as a moral issue, being guilty or innocent has nothing to do with it in my case)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

How guilty a person is is nowhere near the top of the list of reasons on why the death penalty should never be used.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
I can't stand all the rehabilitation arguments in this thread. The worst scum don't deserve to be rehabilitated while there victims are 6 feet under. Why is there so much empathy for scum who I would argue aren't even human anymore. Makes me sick to my stomach. Life in prison for these murderers will never be justice.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I can't stand all the rehabilitation arguments in this thread. The worst scum don't deserve to be rehabilitated while there victims are 6 feet under. Why is there so much empathy for scum who I would argue aren't even human anymore. Makes me sick to my stomach. Life in prison for these murderers will never be justice.

I think everyone deserves to have the chance at rehabilitation and I have empathy for all people, as hard as it is to have. I understand why people feel the way you do.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
You're looking for revenge, not justice. Lives have been saved by rehabilitated criminals. Criminals can go on to make important contributions to society if they're motivated by getting a second chance.

The desire to punish a criminal by ending their existence doesn't outweigh everything we know about rehabilitation.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Death Penalty is morally wrong, and I always found it really hard to argue against that.

An other issue slightly related that I find much more interesting to talk about is redemption.
I believe that it is possible for any criminal, no matter the crime, to better themselves given enough help and enough time. (And thus to become "useful" for society again). But I've never been able to defend that position much. It's a moral belief that I have. And discussion about it is usually extremely interesting.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
I think everyone deserves to have the chance at rehabilitation and I have empathy for all people, as hard as it is to have. I understand why people feel the way you do.
You believe everyone should have a chance at rehabilitation. What about child molesters? Should they be given a chance to be rehabilitated and rejoin society?
do you have empathy for child molesters? Genuinely curious.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
You're looking for revenge, not justice. Lives have been saved by rehabilitated criminals. Criminals can go on to make important contributions to society if they're motivated by getting a second chance.

The desire to punish a criminal by ending their existence doesn't outweigh everything we know about rehabilitation.
Even if they do contribute to society, my point is they don't deserve a second chance. There victims don't get a second chance at life, so neither should them.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

You're fine with killing a person... all because you read an article online?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
You believe everyone should have a chance at rehabilitation. What about child molesters? Should they be given a chance to be rehabilitated and rejoin society?

Yes. I believe that they should be given a chance to be rehabilitated and rejoin society if they can without hurting anyone else. Now, I'm not saying they can be rehabilitated but they should have the chance to be. I believe that more should be done to prevent these kinds of disgusting crimes from happening by getting them help before they commit an act.

My empathy comes from two things. One, that I believe every human life has inherent value that cannot be taken away. Two, people who commit crimes, in general, are usually victims themselves. None of these two things absolves them of their acts however.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Yes. I believe that they should be given a chance to be rehabilitated and rejoin society if they can without hurting anyone else. Now, I'm not saying they can be rehabilitated but they should have the chance to be. I believe that more should be done to prevent these kinds of disgusting crimes from happening by getting them help before they commit an act.
I can respect that opinion even if I disagree. I strongly believe the heinous crimes these monsters commit should not be rewarded with a second chance through rehabilitation. I think we're we differ is I don't see them as human anymore, while you still do.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
he is a danger to society and should be removed to avoid causing further harms.

Removal doesn't have to mean death.

I can respect that opinion even if I disagree. I strongly believe the heinous crimes these monsters commit should not be rewarded with a second chance through rehabilitation. I think we're we differ is I don't see them as human anymore, while you still do.

I completely understand why you and others feel like that.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I've been particularly thinking about this since the thread about the Trump admin speedrunning executions before his term is over. A lot of people were obviously shocked at the execution of Brandon Bernard a black man that had killed no one, but set fire (purportedly under threat) to a man and woman murdered by his partners in crime; someone who had since (20+ years!) remade his life in prison and become a model inmate and a completely different person. However, many others were entirely on board with the execution of Lisa Montgomery, a woman who (spoilering because horrific) killed a pregnant woman and cut her open to claim her child as her own.

And, I mean, "fuck this monster" would probably be the normal gut reaction of any normal human being, but then you read the less publicised part of how she had in turn been physically and sexually assaulted her whole life (raped and beaten by her stepfather as a kid; threatened with a gun at 14 by her mother when she found out; beaten by both of her husbants), resulting in permanent brain damage, psychosis, bipolar disorder and PSTD, and, well... it feels like it's victims all the way down; that society keeps failing people over and over. That labelling them "subhuman monsters" and killing them is just a convenient way to sweep them under the rug, so as to avoid any collective responsibility.
Sweeping it under the rug is exactly what it is and as you are saying it's important to recognize that criminals are also victims. All the fucked up things that precede a person becoming a criminal: their socio economic history, domestic violence and abuse, mental illness - these are areas where society is supposed to step in and help before things go bad.

When you support the death penalty and horrible treatment of criminals, and then justify that by telling yourself that these criminals are evil, what you really are doing is absolving society of its responsibility for creating these criminals in the first place. Using words like "evil" is just a convenient way of never having to think about it. It's denial, sticking your head in the sand, sweeping it under the rug. Criminals don't just pop into existence. On a macro scale crime is predictable: when an area is stuck by poverty, crime rises. When a person suffers abuse they are much more likely to become violent. Crime is a manifestation of the failings of society not the failings of individuals. It's sad to see that even on a progressive place like era, when dealing with crime so many revert to their old testament "personal responsibility" morals.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sweeping it under the rug is exactly what it is and as you are saying it's important to recognize that criminals are also victims. All the fucked up things that precede a person becoming a criminal: their socio economic history, domestic violence and abuse, mental illness - these are areas where society is supposed to step in and help before things go bad.

When you support the death penalty and horrible treatment of criminals, and then justify that by telling yourself that these criminals are evil, what you really are doing is absolving society of its responsibility for creating these criminals in the first place. Using words like "evil" is just a convenient way of never having to think about it. It's denial, sticking your head in the sand, sweeping it under the rug. Criminals don't just pop into existence. On a macro scale crime is predictable: when an area is stuck by poverty, crime rises. When a person suffers abuse they are much more likely to become violent. Crime is a manifestation of the failings of society not the failings of individuals. It's sad to see that even on a progressive place like era, when dealing with crime so many revert to their old testament "personal responsibility" morals.

I'd add that there's mounting evidence that serial killers have brain abnormalities and that in conjunction with childhood trauma or abuse could be critical in creating their persona.

Maybe advances in medicine in the future could lead to a breakthrough in understanding and rehabilitation.

There's a tonne of reasons not to execute people that haven't even been touched on in this thread where as the only reason to do it is it feels right or fair which isn't a reason that you'd use to justify anything normally.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The problem isn't death penalty itself, it's how it's applied. This guy admitted to his murders and the police found body parts in his house. He killed a 15 years old girl. There's no rehabilitation here. He can provide nothing. Kill him.

Cases where guilt cannot be proven 100% shouldn't be death penalty cases. It's simple.
In those cases, the person is set free?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Even if they do contribute to society, my point is they don't deserve a second chance. There victims don't get a second chance at life, so neither should them.
Eye for an eye? That might feel right and emotionally satisfying, but it serves no purpose beyond revenge. We don't torture people on behalf of murder victims' families, even if that would give the families satisfaction. And civilized societies don't hurt criminals for the sake of punishment. We shouldn't kill them either. It's all different degrees of inhumane.

BTW, personally, I'm totally sympathetic to people who want brutal criminals dead. Stories about torture and murder make my blood boil. I carry a deep well of personal rage and resentment toward the overwhelming injustice in this world. I have no problem fantasizing about sadists having to relive their victims' pain and death.

And yet I have to recognize that those feelings don't have a place in a justice system, and the places my vengeful mind takes me aren't consistent with the values of any society I would want to live in. I wouldn't want the public to agree that you can decide someone isn't a person, and therefore it's OK to treat them worse than an animal. I don't care about the circumstances. It's an ugly thing by itself, but you couple that with the reality of general human shittiness and corruption, and it's a recipe for atrocious abuses down the road.

When an innocent person is murdered, that's a tragedy and an injustice. You can't fix it by committing another injustice. Executing a prisoner -- someone who is helpless by definition -- isn't just. Making them pay for their crime with confinement and compulsory self-improvement is better.

It's a choice between ensuring that no good comes out of a horrible situation, or creating the possibility to salvage something from a horrible situation by letting people and society benefit from a reformed criminal. Regardless of whether or not they deserve a second chance, some ex-cons have done a great deal of good and improved many lives.

It's a plain fact that the world is a better place thanks to rehabilitation. If you take away a criminal's life, you deny the rest of the world whatever positive effect they could have had on it. It's a statistical certainty that you eventually sacrifice worthy lives by prematurely ending less worthy ones.

People who can't be rehabilitated, and are so twisted that they feel no remorse for disgusting crimes, need treatment, not death. They can hardly be held responsible for their actions if they're severely antisocial or mentally ill.

One of the fundamental ideas that modern civilization is based on is the principle of universal human rights. We've collectively decided that humans have intrinsic dignity and are deserving of basic respect, no matter where they come from or what they do. If a right can be suspended or removed, it's not actually intrinisic at all. So human rights apply to everyone or no one, unless we want to rethink an essential tenet of modern laws and morals. (This isn't to say we shouldn't strive for even better principles that lead to fairer outcomes in more circumstances!)

When you empower a government to decide that someone is no longer human in order to do inhuman things to them, you open the door to having your own rights revoked. It's happened in every dictatorship in history. It's happening to immigrant children and their parents in the US right now.

Yes, it would be a wild stretch to compare the plight of immigrants to criminals on death row, but it's not about the people, it's about whether or not authorities can strip someone of their humanity. Because if it's possible in even one kind of circumstance, then abuse is inevitable. We know that some people, once they have authority, abuse their power to harm others. And we know that bigotry and cruelty depend on dehumanizing people. So that's probably not a practice anybody should indulge in, no matter how good their reasons.

he is a danger to society and should be removed to avoid causing further harms.
Prisoners are already removed from society. The death penalty executes confined people who pose no threat to people outside the prison walls -- with exceptions that are so rare they can be discounted in this discussion.

Great post. You make a very important point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Serious question: How does that work? I've always heard that used in the arguments against the death penalty, but I never understood exactly why it would cost more than keeping another person alive for a multitude of years.
I think it's mainly cost of various legal appeals prisoners can use. Act of killing itself is inexpensive. I mean they hang people in Japan, rope can't be that expensive.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how a monster can kill so many people and do such terribly depraved things and all this thread is about is moral grandstanding around the death penalty.

If your reason for opposing the death penalty is as flimsy as only potentially killing the wrong person, rather than killing itself being wrong, then you should have no problem with them executing a serial killer that freely admits to his crime and not only shows no remorse but clearly enjoys recounting what he did and why.

That man deserves the harshest of punishments possible, regardless. I tend to believe the death penalty is too easy for people like that, but I'm not even sure if he'd care if they threw him into a hole and left him there to rot for the rest of his life with no light, no sound and no company.
You can't separate the fact this man is absolutely guilty with the fact that as long as the death penalty exists, innocent people will die due to it.

No matter how much you might want to.

Aug 27, 2018

I understand your sentiment but also...there are people like Ted Bundy out there. Nothing happened to him in his childhood to make him a monster, he simply was one. He didn't have some sort of psychotic break at an early age or suffer from head trauma. He just felt the need to murder women. Calling all criminals "victims" is an odd stance to take, while you aren't wrong that some criminals truly are victims...a person keeping the human heads of the people he murdered maybe isn't one.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I understand your sentiment but also...there are people like Ted Bundy out there. Nothing happened to him in his childhood to make him a monster, he simply was one.

Per Wikipedia:
In 1987, however, he and other family members told attorneys that Samuel Cowell [Bundy's granfather, suspected father through incest, and adoptive father] was a tyrannical bully and a bigot who hated blacks, Italians, Catholics, and Jews, beat his wife and the family dog, and swung neighborhood cats by their tails. He once threw Louise's younger sister Julia down a flight of stairs for oversleeping.[19] He sometimes spoke aloud to unseen presences,[20] and at least once flew into a violent rage when the question of Bundy's paternity was raised.[19]

You seem to be taking at face value Bundy's own account that nothing out of the ordinary happened during his childhood, when the truth is very different.

There's absolutely nothing "genuine" about this post.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I understand your sentiment but also...there are people like Ted Bundy out there. Nothing happened to him in his childhood to make him a monster, he simply was one. He didn't have some sort of psychotic break at an early age or suffer from head trauma. He just felt the need to murder women. Calling all criminals "victims" is an odd stance to take, while you aren't wrong that some criminals truly are victims...a person keeping the human heads of the people he murdered maybe isn't one.
en.wikipedia.org

Ted Bundy - Wikipedia

Lots of stuff there to fuck up the mind of a young boy. Psychopaths are known to lie about having a happy childhood.

I think if a serious criminal with the right help and guidance could have had a non-criminal life, then they are a victim. You'd have to prove they were beyond the reach of help to convince me otherwise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is a perfect example why criminal justice reform is so hard.

Always focusing on edge cases instead of looking at things systemically. Not to mention that most in prison are their for non-violent crimes and bullshit crimes (drugs).

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know if that's necessarily true about Bundy. He just didn't remember his trauma. Anyone watch "Crazy, not Insane"(I haven't)? Think that's the crux of the argument, it happened when he was 3.

Picking out 1 serial killer where it might not be true doesn't really make for a good argument anyway. There's other things that might contribute , didn't he have a benign brain tumor?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is such a crucial point. It's utterly horrifying how eager society is to treat criminals as fundamentally evil subhumans, when so many of them are victims of their circumstances. It's such a grotesque failure in empathy and basic reasoning.

Crimes don't just happen. How can people be held responsible for their own actions if their actions resulted from abuse, neglect, mental illness, or other powerful factors? But many, many people are just plain unwilling to follow this chain of reasoning, because it leads to uncomfortable questions about free will, and our traditional assumptions about responsibility.

Edit: Jesus, apologies for the triple post. Mobile is a nightmare sometimes. I could have sworn there were replies below my earlier posts.

Fully agreed. As to why Era seems to be so divided about this when it's otherwise pretty consistently leftist... I don't think it's that much of a mystery. Empathy and rationality are exercised far less often than the average Era poster would like to think; it's easy to be a leftist when the allies are the disenfranchised, and the enemy are greedy corporations. It's a lot harder to empathize with rapists and murderers, and to tell victims and their families "your feelings that this person should be dead are not enough".

But the thing is... is it truly empathy, if it's effortless? Is it really testing your empathy in any way to post in a message board in support of minorities versus bigots? What's the effort you're really making here? How progressive and commited to empathy Era members truly are, when Cyberpunk 2077 is still massively popular and played despite its transphobic issues, and when next-gen consoles are still bought day one, even knowing they're manufactured through slave labor?

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want innocent people to be executed but I support a system where it definitely will happen. This doublethink is critical to my ability to pretend I'm a good person, so don't challenge it.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Per Wikipedia:

You seem to be taking at face value Bundy's own account that nothing out of the ordinary happened during his childhood, when the truth is very different.

There's absolutely nothing "genuine" about this post.
It was a genuine question. The guy I was quoting believes everyone deserves rehabilitation including child molesters which I disagree with.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It was a genuine question. The guy I was quoting believes everyone deserves rehabilitation including child molesters which I disagree with.
That makes even less sense since I'd imagine that the majority of sex offenders and child abusers don't receive life sentences. Surely the outcomes--reducing recidivism and protecting children--are more important.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fully agreed. As to why Era seems to be so divided about this when it's otherwise pretty consistently leftist... I don't think it's that much of a mystery. Empathy and rationality are exercised far less often than the average Era poster would like to think; it's easy to be a leftist when the allies are the disenfranchised, and the enemy are greedy corporations. It's a lot harder to empathize with rapists and murderers, and to tell victims and their families "your feelings that this person should be dead are not enough".

But the thing is... is it truly empathy, if it's effortless? Is it really testing your empathy in any way to post in a message board in support of minorities versus bigots? What's the effort you're really making here? How progressive and commited to empathy Era members truly are, when Cyberpunk 2077 is still massively popular and played despite its transphobic issues, and when next-gen consoles are still bought day one, even knowing they're manufactured through slave labor?
I think even more then it's easy to have empathy for minorities in a lot of cases here it's more like "it's easy to have empathy for people facing similar problems to yourself". A lot of people here are part of those minority groups so it's basically having empathy for yourself and your family/friends in those case

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
These threads always come come off as performative. Like most things on the internet.