• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I came across this article, and thought its interesting to share and discuss: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...in-multi-billion-dollar-coronavirus-shakeout/

"Japan's government would spend upwards of $2 billion helping its multinationals leave China."

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1248070712079699968?s=21

This got me thinking, if Sony, Nintendo and others will shift their console/games production away from China.

Also, Would it be too late for Sony to move their next gen PS5 production to another country before release this holiday?

remember TLOU2 delay is mostly due to the logistics (as head of Naughty dogs said). Could this be the reason why we have an indefinite timing?

Finally, if this happens, this Could become a huge change for the gaming industry and its business model etc.

what say you ERA?

please, lets keep this discussion without any racism towards China and/or others.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I think Nintendo uses Taiwan for some of their console production but I think most of the parts are still made in China

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Xenophobia; Prior Severe Ban
The faster we bring China to its knees the better.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
No way moving away from China, devices / everything could go up like 50/75% in sell price if made in a country with good labor and paying jobs.
No way companies like Sony are willing to take that risk.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I feel like this is 30 years late? Production moved to China a long time ago.

The faster we bring China to its knees the better.

You wouldn't have the game industry today if not for China. In fact, most commodities are reliant on China. And frankly, it's a bit offensive to read that you want to dominate and subjugate another country.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the short term this maybe makes sense, but why?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all better be ready to pay more for consoles and physical games if you want to move production to SK or japan

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So the world should just put up with CCP's crap including slave labour, gotcha.
You are the person that claimed those three tiny countries could have a workforce as big and as cheap as the most populated country in the world. We are just calling out that that is a bad statement.

And that is not even taking into account every reason why China is such a big producer: natural resources because even if you move production, you need those resources, so feel free to moral grandstand and then realize that slave labour is still used for every component, and the government gladly devaluating the currency to remain competitive. And that is not taking into account that CCP's crap is exactly why China became such a global powerhouse in the world. Even India that has the same workforce can't reform fast enough because they can't pull the same crap.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
From what I can find online, minimum wage:

China: $2.11
Japan: $7.28

there is no way a company like Sony or Nintendo would bring production to japan unless they make a factory that's all automated with a tiny human crew.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The important thing is to have multiple locations in multiple countries to do the production. Not everything will leave China but there are other options out there and also a real opportunity for countries to grab a share of the manufacturing business.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all better be ready to pay more for consoles and physical games if you want to move production to SK or japan

More than willing to do so considering what we would get back in humanity for that exchange. That being said Im a grown man now with my own steady and reliable disposable income. A cash strapped younger version of myself still in uni might feel differently. But regardless of that, I feel morally its the right thing to do even at the expense of the amount of access to a completely non-essential hobby.

Hmm. More expensive products or slave labour. Hmm.

Exactly. This isn't exactly a hard decision. But this is also off topic a bit so we should ease up on this.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. More expensive products or slave labour. Hmm.
That's nice and a fine position to take but a lot of people don't have the luxury and would be locked out of gaming if consoles or games become even more expensive.

Also changes very little as chinese production will just move on to something else.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
When all your shit is made in China and that country is in lock down during a pandemic it can be pretty hard to get what you need
Yeah because every other country has free borders and high production.

They acknowledged the short term benefit but how does this benefit in the long term?

As others have said, even with high levels of automation I would be very surprised if they can replace even a fraction of the output, even before you look at price.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice and a fine position to take but a lot of people don't have the luxury and would be locked out of gaming if consoles or games become even more expensive.
Gaming is a luxury product anyway. This may be a gaming forum and I will likely get a lot of negativity, but people can live without games if it means we aren't being complicit in some of China's actions.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You are the person that claimed those three tiny countries could have a workforce as big and as cheap as the most populated country in the world. We are just calling out that that is a bad statement.

And that is not even taking into account every reason why China is such a big producer: natural resources because even if you move production, you need those resources, so feel free to moral grandstand and then realize that slave labour is still used for every component, and the government gladly devaluating the currency to remain competitive. And that is not taking into account that CCP's crap is exactly why China became such a global powerhouse in the world. Even India that has the same workforce can't reform fast enough because they can't pull the same crap.

Well, unless countries actually pressure China into changing, rather than keeping things as they are, then we will always come back to this moment where we all rely on CCP to produce. Seems like you would prefer we just go back to the way things were before but after all is said and done, things have got to change. We can't just sit back on this and think "this is fine". Since it's clearly not. If it means we have to pay more for products, even if it's short term until a better long term plan is established then oh well. Not like any of us are coming out from this current climate any better off anyway.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Gaming is a luxury product anyway. This may be a gaming forum and I will likely get a lot of negativity, but people can live without games if it means we aren't being complicit in some of China's actions.
Well then i hope you make a good example and stop buying all gaming products, chinese made phones/tech and also don't wear any clothes made by kids in bangladesh then?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't day one ps4 build in china and japan ? People were comparing serial numbers to knlw where theirs was build ?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Yeah because every other country has free borders and high production.

They acknowledged the short term benefit but how does this benefit in the long term?

As others have said, even with high levels of automation I would be very surprised if they can replace even a fraction of the output, even before you look at price.
the benefit is not being caught with your pants down during a another pandemic because all your stuff comes from one place because companies wanted to outsource everything to the cheapest place.

A good chunk of what we've been using during this pandemic has been coming out of China

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
See this thread went to shit with the moral superiority real quick.

On topic, I don't know how this would affect everything if we're talking Japan's economy. This might lose them more money in the end.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad that they are trying to find alternative solutions, but since China has lower working prices compared to most countries (and therefore provide less expenses), it won't happen any time soon. And as unfortunate as it is, many people don't really care about the poor working conditions there as long as they get stuff for their hobbies (not just game industry) cheaper, even if their public face says "get rid of the slave labor". For most people, their own well-being is a priority before caring about anyone else.

I wish there was an alternative with reasonable working conditions but not provide too many additional expenses to comparies and end-users.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Well, unless countries actually pressure China into changing, rather than keeping things as they are, then we will always come back to this moment where we all rely on CCP to produce. Seems like you would prefer we just go back to the way things were before but after all is said and done, things have got to change. We can't just sit back on this and think "this is fine". Since it's clearly not. If it means we have to pay more for products, even if it's short term until a better long term plan is established then oh well. Not like any of us are coming out from this current climate any better off anyway.
And again, where is your alternative to the unique environment they can provide? Where are you going to get those resources that we need? This is not going to be a 1-2 change where you just easily move production to South Korea, Taiwan and Japan like you shortsightedly suggest. Even in the best case this will take a decade or more, and it will not be driven by countries massively moving production out of China (although it should happen partially for strategic things) but by its own population. And even then, if you want to move on the short term, you can't exactly claim the respect for workforce is a lot better in places like Congo where another big part of the resources are. Europe and North America are quite poor when it comes to rare earth metals and the likes.

Good luck with that.

Unless a country will magically provide the same amount of workforce at the same price or even lower that's not happening at all.
It can be done, just it won't be all-in-one place anymore. Workforce is not problem, it's more about logistic.

Also, China itself more and more (often secretly) uses workforce from poorer countries, like North Korea, Cambodia, etc. Like if you have jeans with "Made in China" label, there's a big chance it was produced in NK.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the world should just put up with CCP's crap including slave labour, gotcha.
They already do, like every company chooses China or other countries because they can pay their workers very little that's the whole point of going to China. the problem isn't China for say it's the company's who continued the practice of going to China

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When all your shit is made in China and that country is in lock down during a pandemic it can be pretty hard to get what you need
Yeah I'm probably just overestimating the amount their putting forward because this seemed like a long term solution to a short term problem.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already do, like every company chooses China for other countries because they can pay their workers very little that's the whole point of going to China.

The truth is though on this point I mean it's not like workers in nearby Vietnam or India wouldn't be willing to work for less even. That said it is depressing how much of global production relies on ridiculously exploitative wages.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I feel like this is 30 years late? Production moved to China a long time ago.

You wouldn't have the game industry today if not for China. In fact, most commodities are reliant on China. And frankly, it's a bit offensive to read that you want to dominate and subjugate another country.
No it's not. The poster you quoted is referring to the oppressive Chinese government, not the Chinese public. And the Chinese government are absolute cunts.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The truth is though on this point I mean it's not like workers in nearby Vietnam or India wouldn't be willing to work for less even. That said it is depressing how much of global production relies on ridiculously exploitative wages.
that's the whole point of the system. To produce a lot, make billions and give the work pennies.

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can find online, minimum wage:

China: $2.11
Japan: $7.28

there is no way a company like Sony or Nintendo would bring production to japan unless they make a factory that's all automated with a tiny human crew.
Can't wait for 2000$ consoles.

There are more countries than just China, SK and Nippon in the world, no where does it say they think of bringing production back to their own country.

And yes, after this corona virus shit is settled many countries will move production out of China, especially for essentials, globalization is gonna take a hit.

How about we bring America to its knees also.
Why always bring America into it, Xi Jinpooh is an evil man whose only equal is Hitler and Stalin. There's an active genocide and ethnic cleansing going on.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I would appreciate if more companies move to Vietnam, but those 2.2 billion won't be enough to make significant shifts.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
In consumer electronic China is not only competetive because of cheap labor. They have hands on rare earth elements and TSMC and and such are insanely well adjusted to pruduce chips. Also if you have totalitarian goverment on your side you never have to worry about laws protecting enviroment and such.
Truth be told China has world by the balls with production of electronics.
Maybe companies like for example Hario (coffe gear manufacter) and will produce 100% japan made prodcts if subsided but for game console I don't think it's possible