• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Software Sales
1. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 47,525 / 352,113
2. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 14,903 / 710,714
3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,127 / 4,632,554
4. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 10,372 / 164,305
5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 6,839 / 3,151,727
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 6,553 / 2,641,949
7. [NSW] The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story – 6,409 / NEW
8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,849 / 4,879,799
9. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 4,360 / 964,133
10. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 4,245 / 2,025,606

Hardware Sales
Switch OLED – 35,868
Switch – 20,443
Switch Lite – 9,011
Xbox Series S – 6,120
Xbox Series X – 105
PS5 – 2,240
PS5 Digital Edition – 453
New 2DS LL – 235
PS4 – 22

nintendoeverything.com

Famitsu sales (5/9/22 - 5/15/22)

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows: Switch OLED – 35,868 Switch – 20,443 Switch Lite – 9,011 Xbox Series S – 6,120 PS5 – 2,240 PS5 Digital Edition – 453 New 2DS LL – 235 Xbox Series X – 105 PS4 – 22 For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last week*...

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I never thought we would see xbox sell more then ps thats crazy. And yes i know its stock issues

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time Xbox > PS? Even considering outside circumstances I don't remember the last time this happened. And it's more than 2:1 at that.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Well there it is. Sony got their work cut out for them regarding supply issues. Xbox > Sony for this week by a wide margin.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time Xbox > PS? Even considering outside circumstances I don't remember the last time this happened.
Your memory hasn't failed you because it has never happened before.

EDIT: Actually, you know what. I can't exactly make this claim because I don't know sales numbers off by heart. Maybe it happened on some random week that I don't know.

Last edited:

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring; History of the Same
Is it safe to say that is Microsoft somehow ends up buying one of the big japanese studio, it's game over for Sony?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Xbox outselling Playstation in Japan is crazy to see (even if it's due to stock) considering how last-gen went.
Also, Japan seems to be quite happy with the Series S.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Is it safe to say that is Microsoft somehow ends up buying one of the big japanese studio, it's game over for Sony?
I don't think it'll ever really be game over for Sony. Xbox has positioned themselves to have the perfect companion system alongside a PS5/Switch and I think it'll only keep growing as time goes on.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

They got outsold for one week :P They are still roughly outselling the xbox this generation in Japan by 9 to 1. It will take a lot more than one company.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
When was the last time Xbox > PS? Even considering outside circumstances I don't remember the last time this happened. And it's more than 2:1 at that.

Your memory hasn't failed you because it has never happened before.

It has happened before but has been quite a long time i.e. 360 era. Quick google found two examples from 08 and 09.

www.reuters.com

Microsoft Xbox 360 outsells PS3 in Japan in Sept

Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 in Japan in September, beating the rival machine in monthly unit sales for the first time in Sony's home market, a game magazine publisher said.

www.gamespot.com

Big in Japan: Xbox 360 outsells PS3

Microsoft scores a rare win on Sony's home turf; Dragon Quest IX back on top of charts in a light week of new releases.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I know it is because of stock issues, but wow I never expected to see a week where the Xbox outsold Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017
The impressive thing for me is that Xbox would easily go over 10k (maybe 20?) if there was actually any stock available. Quite the turnaround from last gen.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Did… did I end up in the mirror world? Because what the fuck at Xbox outselling PlayStation…

Very curious to see the Gematsu sales numbers for this week honestly, if they report the same thing or not.

These supply issues are crazy, and it's weird that they're just seemingly not even really affecting MS as much these days

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Series S proving to be quite a good idea. I think its now over 200k sold across X and S and the S has sold more than X now.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see Kirby and the Forgotten Land outpacing Switch Sports, Kirby was at around 550,000 on week 3 compared to Switch Sports 352,000. Didn't expect that outcome.

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox > Playstation

the world is ending!
I was about to say, Sony needs to figure out this stock issue. When it's reached this point you know it's BAD

Surprised to see Kirby and the Forgotten Land outpacing Switch Sports, Kirby was at around 550,000 on week 3 compared to Switch Sports 352,000. Didn't expect that outcome.
I honestly think actually giving Kirby a 3D game is opening it up to new people

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
700vrkk44dhy.jpg

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I was about to say, Sony needs to figure out this stock issue. When it's reached this point you know it's BAD

I think they are just prioritising different markets because there has been a huge drop in the UK recently. I can order the HFW bundle right now and collect today from Argos near me and that's been the case for about 24ish hours. So I expect PS5 UK numbers to be pretty massive this month.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If a physical Xbox game charts in Japan, we're truly in a new timeline lol.
I think the last time that happened was Titanfall on X1?
Yeah its probably damn impossible given 60% of the market will be a digital only console and the remainder will likely have Game Pass or just straight digital sales for a solid chunk of it. It'd be very wild to see chart physically.

Oct 27, 2017
That's way too big to be a Japanese burger

I think they are just prioritising different markets because there has been a huge drop in the UK recently. I can order the HFW bundle right now and collect today from Argos near me and that's been the case for about 24ish hours. So I expect PS5 UK numbers to be pretty massive this month.
So US > UK >>> Japan >>> everywhere else in terms of allocation?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kirby's gonna hit a mil in a month or two. Do the Kirby games usually get over 1mil physical copies sold or is this the Switch effect?

Sony needs to sort out their stock issue badly. Seems like another region was prioritized over Japan, Europe I think?

Series S is becoming a big ticket item in Japan. Makes sense, due to Game Pass and the small size. My sister lives there now as a English teacher and from what her students tell her a fair number of them like it due to the size. They want the PS5 but it's too big lol.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Microsoft has tried everything they could think of over the past 20 years to get some footing in Japan to no avail. Turns out all they needed was a 3 year long pandemic induced supply chain crisis that have made PS5s almost impossible to find. I'm sure Gamepass has helped the appeal of Xbox too, but gamers who haven't been able to find a PS5 for 2 years and want a next gen console are starting to cave and are buying series X/S because it's available. This is Microsoft's best chance to finally get some footing in their market if they can capitalize

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has tried everything they could think of over the past 20 years to get some footing in Japan to no avail. Turns out all they needed was a 3 year long pandemic induced supply chain crisis that have made PS5s almost impossible to find. I'm sure Gamepass has helped the appeal of Xbox too, but gamers who haven't been able to find a PS5 for 2 years and want a next gen console are starting to cave and are buying series X/S because it's available. This is Microsoft's best chance to finally get some footing in their market if they can capitalize
nah I don't see it. you have to remember that there's no physical market in Japan and Playstation is still way more appealing than Xbox. it'd take a whole generation to turn this around and that's pretty unlikely

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby's gonna hit a mil in a month or two. Do the Kirby games usually get over 1mil physical copies sold or is this the Switch effect?

Sony needs to sort out their stock issue badly. Seems like another region was prioritized over Japan, Europe I think?

Series S is becoming a big ticket item in Japan. Makes sense, due to Game Pass and the small size. My sister lives there now as a English teacher and from what her students tell her a fair number of them like it due to the size. They want the PS5 but it's too big lol.
Kirby games have sold over a million in the past. It is rare though. A bunch of early Kirbos did it, a couple of DS games and Star Allies (well, soon, it was at 980,000 and charting in the top 30 last week. It is well over with digital).

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
That's way too big to be a Japanese burger

So US > UK >>> Japan >>> everywhere else in terms of allocation?

Don't know about situation in US but in the UK this seems like the first time since launch that PS5 has been reliably in stock for more than 1-2 hours (outside of expensive bundles).

The Argos stock drop went live yesterday and I can still get both disc and digital HFW bundles near me. Can't remember that being the case for any other stock drop so it must be fairly large.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
nah I don't see it. you have to remember that there's no physical market in Japan and Playstation is still way more appealing than Xbox. it'd take a whole generation to turn this around and that's pretty unlikely
Oh I'm not suggesting Series X/S will outsell PS5 this Gen in Japan or anything. Not even the supply chain crisis can pull off that miracle. But, this is Xbox's best chance to get some relevancy in the Japanese market.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kirby games have sold over a million in the past. It is rare though. A bunch of early Kirbos did it, a couple of DS games and Star Allies.

Gotcha. Yea, Kirby never seemed like a huge selling series compared to other Nintendo ones. Glad to see the higher numbers for Forbidden Land, it's a really great game (and a lot better then Star Allies).

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Even with stock issues, playstation is still outselling them 9 to 1. Once the stock issues are corrected, it won't even be close. Its good that they are selling better than the xbox one, but we should also be realist and understand that they are still being trounced. the footing will be minimal, if at all. Especially with no Final Fantasy.

The best way Microsoft has of increasing its presence in Japan is via pc gamepass and streaming on phones.