• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Maybe they thought the washed out plushie could be sell better to the japanese? I don't see the problem offering a modified product if that is what your consumer demands.
And you don't realize why this does more harm and doesn't help improve the situation at all? Please read your post again.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's not even just Japan. It's East Asia in general views white skin is seen as the highest form of beauty. From what I read it's because white skin was associated with the upper class who didn't work in the field and thus didn't tan. People in Asia don't really see it as a race thing but it's still shitty.

It's not even really just japan, or Asia, or America. Across the majority of cultures and through history, darker skin is and has been less favored over more "fair" skin tones. It's a historical phenomenon that I lack the expertise to identify a source from and it's a deeply rooted part of racism worldwide.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Banned (3 days): Excusing whitewashing on basis of being profitable
And you don't realize why this does more harm and doesn't help improve the situation at all? Please read your post again.
And your solution is? Offer a plushie that will have less appeal to the consumer due its culture, sorry if from a business perspective it doesn't make sense.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You guys think we'll get a comment from Nintendo or Sanrio?

It's fucking shitty but I think it's an honest mistake. The artstyle relies on soft pastel colours and they probably used some shit fabric. It shouldn't have been approved though.

I like the recent backlash to Nintendo about their treatment of black characters though, hopefully it'll spur them on to change. The Smash Bros roster is still disgusting to say it's the biggest fighting game roster.
Like I said, Sakurai didn't have many options back in December 2015, so I'm not sure if that's a valid point against Nintendo (the racial stereotyping with some of the spirits are, sure, but not a base roster finalized over 3 years ago).

Last edited:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
giphy.gif

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You guys think we'll get a comment from Nintendo or Sanrio?
Unlikely?

Is there much of a twitter campaign from Japanese users complaining about this? Considering that is a plush that's only available in claw games in Japan, I'd assume that's the only way there would be an official response. Americans posting about it on Twitter probably doesn't even register with a Japanese toy company.

Feb 2, 2019
I didn't say they considered western people "high beauty" I said they considered white skin that.
Don't take "gaijin" so seriously, dude. Its not meant to be derogatory.

I'm not a dude and I'm convinced gaijin is used quite seriousely in Japan. I've lived there for months. It's like someone trying to pass the N or the F word as a joke, it's not. When you use a pejorative word to refer foreigners, you're racist. I don't call japanese students "foreigners" or something along those lines when I speak to them or about them.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Making marina white won't make her more desireable, she is designed to be black and the kids view her as black . When kids look at this toy they will just think "that doesn't look like marina" and choose to not buy and if the kid only likes white skin chracter they wouldn't like Marina in the first place

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Actually "gaikokujin" is the more neutral and politically correct term

Yes but gaijin is still used frequently by the average person not with contempt.

I'm not a dude and I'm convinced gaijin is used quite seriousely in Japan. I've lived there for months. It's like someone trying to pass the N or the F word as a joke, it's not. When you use a pejorative word to refer foreigners, you're racist. I don't call japanese students "foreigners" or something along those lines when I speak to them or about them.

Sorry about that, I use "dude" in a gender neutral way.

I'm not going to deny your experience, I haven't lived there to be fair. I've just read different opinions on it from expats. I

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Is this real? Was Marina called "articulate" for real in-game? If so how the hell did that get a pass through localization!?
I haven't played the game or know the context of that image, but what it looks like to me is on-the-nose social commentary that isn't inappropriate.
It's a parallel to "I don't see race", something said by someone professing to not be racist but also ignoring the ways that racism exists and perpetuates, including from the speaker. There are multiple instances in the chat logs where Cuttlefish says that exact line reflexively after being called out for saying something racist about Octarians.

"Articulate" in that context has some serious cultural history, but essentially is a racist backhanded compliment that simultaneously damns by faint praise (the ability to speak coherently isn't a thing that's singled out for praise normally) and implies comparison with and the expectation of a racist stereotype.

Cuttlefish says some questionable things but that particular "articulate" line is out of context.
While Marina was away from chat, Cuttlefish reveals that he did some research and found out Marina was a high ranking Octarian weapons designer and worries she may be a double agent.
When Marina returns to the chat and they drop this bombshell on her she replies with "..." "um..." and "..." to which Cuttlefish sarcastically calls her articulate to get her to actually say something. It's more that she wasn't talking. If he had just dropped that line when she was talking normally then it'd be different.

Cuttlefish's racism is more nationalism than about the abilities of Octarians. He and Octavio were friends before the war, but now he's paranoid about Octarians invading. It's closer to fear over communists or Japan vs Korea/China.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Cuttlefish says some questionable things but that particular "articulate" line is out of context.
While Marina was away from chat, Cuttlefish reveals that he did some research and found out Marina was a high ranking Octarian weapons designer and worries she may be a double agent.
When Marina returns to the chat and they drop this bombshell on her she replies with "..." "um..." and "..." to which Cuttlefish sarcastically calls her articulate to get her to actually say something. It's more that she wasn't talking. If he had just dropped that line when she was talking normally then it'd be different.

Cuttlefish's racism is more nationalism than about the abilities of Octarians. He and Octavio were friends before the war, but now he's paranoid about Octarians invading. It's closer to fear over communists or Japan vs Korea/China.
Well that's certainly different from what I was lead to believe previously.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I wouldn't just say high ranking, Marina is an absolute prodigy. Like skipping grades genius.
Gen 83 - Octoling combat engineer (whereabouts unknown)

CLASSIFIED

・Age 6: Enrolled in the elementary training program at Slimeskin Garrison.

・Age 9: Skipped multiple grades. Took only advanced courses. Graduated.

・Age 10: Member of Flooder design team (fully automated cleaning weapon).

・Age 13: Joined Slimeskin Garrison. Specialized in improving Great Octoweapons.

・Age 16: Assigned to DJ Octavio's wasabi supply unit. Earned multiple commendations.

She helped. Designed that giant car wash at the age of 10!

That said the entertaining thing with Cuttlefish was that he did start to suspect her, but pearl leaps in and threatens him. Like, she will cut a fish if he tried to splat Marina. Get it? Haha.

CraigCuttlefish > Marina Ida
MC.Princess > member of Flooder design team?
CraigCuttlefish > those flooders are ruthless splatting machines they did in Agent 3 more times than i can count
MC.Princess > WHAT. Nah, Marina would never design something like that
CraigCuttlefish > its right there in the file
MC.Princess > now that you mention it, Marina IS totally obsessed with machines. And she's definitely the hardest working person i know
CraigCuttlefish > sounds exactly like the octos i fought in the war
MC.Princess > The battle stages she makes involve traps and stuff where you float, and you don't see things like that anywhere else...
CraigCuttlefish > only octarian military has that technology im telling you
MC.Princess > Huh, so Marina is involved with the Octarian military? I just...
MC.Princess > OH SNAP I remember her saying something about the Calamari Inkantation changing her life! and it's right there in the file!
CraigCuttlefish > that song has powers no one can explain no fan of that song is a foe of mine
MC.Princess > Right?! She might have some skeletons in her closet, but who doesn't am i right? Marina is one of the best people i know.
CraigCuttlefish > i guess shes okay for an octo
MC.Princess > I swear, cuttlefish. If you try to splat Marina I WILL CUT A FISH. U GOT THAT?
CraigCuttlefish > i um ok
MC.Princess > Good. Keep your head in the game, 8.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And your solution is? Offer a plushie that will have less appeal to the consumer due its culture, sorry if from a business perspective it doesn't make sense.

Why did they abolish slavery? It was free labor and it kept the prices down. It just doesn't make any sense from a business perspective./s

Some of y'all will say anything to handwave away racism won't you?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the specifics are likely 100% NoA I do wonder how much the theme of facing racism is in the original text. The Splatoon leads are much younger devs than Nintendo's average so they might be trying to put these ideas in there even in Japan?

Pearl is unusually pale even for the white skinned characters in the game, they might be using regular white skin for Marina and super pale for Pearl.

The Splatoon leads which I guess you mean producer and director aren't that young. Nogami has more than 50 while the directors have above 35. That's normal for many and many franchises developed internally in Nintendo EPD (and before, EAD/SPD) for decades. This notion is very flawed when you look at the leads of the projects.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They 100% do not give a shit.

Less because they don't give a shit and more that the product is only sold in Japan and there's no backlash over it from there. And even in the west, I only saw this here. Companies won't change things without the public giving their feedback in a high number for them to perceive.