• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Like yeah its suppsoe to be a washed out look for both, but you can't say her skin was washed out even more compared to the rest of her.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how we have a blatant example of whitewashing yet some of y'all STILL gotta to try and excuse this.

Like come the fuck on people...

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
It sucks so much because I love Japan but I can't ever see a future when most representation of darker skinned people is just racist. It really sucks because it's something they really haven't grown out of. It's always been a problem and it'll continue to be a problem due to their very agoraphobia country ethics.

Nothing will change, even when it's Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I dont like it one bit. Need to know the thought process on this one.
That's the thing about institutional racism. no thought is required as the culture has programmed people to think that way. People just default to shit like this subconsciously then when called on it are like, "...oh shit my bad." It's why the Gucci + blackface thing happened the other day. That's the danger of the declining quality of education and directly tackling these subjects constantly. It's like swimming up stream. It's hard to make any progress and very easy to get washed away.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism and antagonizing other members
Looks like a bad pastel palette, lighting and people wanting to be outraged not everything is part of an agenda.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ganguro was a direct counterculture rebellion to those beauty standards, a giant middle finger from disaffected youth.
yikes

Looks like a bad pastel palette, lighting and people wanting to be outraged not everything is part of an agenda.
you should spend some time reading up on cultures outside of your own and how they often times view and act upon standards of beauty as a result. lol, "bad pastel palette".

I understand you are a Nintendo fan and almost by nature an apologist, but you can do better.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
There's no universe where that isn't a deliberate choice.

Looking at the picture posted in #51, I'm not seeing the issue?? it's a lighter shade?
oh, forgot you gotta get a hot take in first before reading the thread..

Making a black character look light-skinned for licensed products (barely even tan by most standards) is upsetting on a lot of levels. Particularly in an industry landscape where it's less common to have distinctly non-white characters in the first place. This is a patently obvious case of whitewashing an existing design. It's at odds with the character's design.

Criticizing others for reacting and telling the bald-faced lie that there's no substance to the situation is one step away from completing the trifecta of obviously (subconsciously, hopefully) supporting something vile. I haven't seen you pretend it doesn't matter because it's just some dumb toy, so I'll give you that benefit of the doubt there.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You'd have to be blind to think you could lighten a character with very obviously dark skin to that extent while her black clothing is only a little faded and think it is just a bad palette job. This was intentional.

Also, piss off with the stupid "agenda" bullshit. It's not an agenda to look at a dark skinned character very obviously being portrayed as light skinned and question why.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
  1. I'm not sure what Marina would bring to the table with regards to Smash. Her & Pearl as Assist Trophies like Callie & Marie would more than suffice.
  2. Why would Smash white-wash Marina?
  3. The Inkling that represents Marina for her Spirit has the correct skin tone.
It was a jab at Nintendo's lack of "brown" characters in the latest Smash as well as their overall lack of said people in their products in general.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Excusing whitewashing on basis of intent
Prize figure quality. Yikes indeed.

Dy2H-seU0AEGsD5.jpg

DyxdzKEVAAAsX7w.jpg

DyxdzKEUwAAEoly.jpg

This looks fine to me. At least, not as white-washed as the OP image makes it seem. You can tell there's meant to be a distinction between Pearl's white skin and Marina's black skin.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It was a jab at Nintendo's lack of "brown" characters in the latest Smash as well as their overall lack of said people in their products in general.
The base roster for Smash was decided back in December 2015, long before the influx of black/brown Nintendo characters. And even then, we're still lacking in black/brown main characters. That's on Nintendo as a whole, not Sakurai & his team.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Was gonna ask if the whole theme of the plushies is them being pale and washed out color wise, but still...

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just look like lighter colored versions of both characters to me, look at her tentacle hat and clothing it's all lighter too.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, japan still tryin to not like ganguro

There was some anime a few years back that had a ganguro character that had their skin lightened the heck up before it aired.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If done maliciously sure but is there any evidence of that?

"You'll look more attractive if we change it so you don't look like yourself or your race" as a media-level decision is monstrous, full stop. You're defending mangling the design of an established character because their race was considered unappealing. That defacto racism was so strong in the thinking here that it overpowered even permitting one of the deliberate constrasting design elements between Marina and Pearl.

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I don't care about Splatoon or plushies but...

This is so bad.

Even if you set aside all the obvious reasons why this is bad it ALSO looks worse, which is kind of hilarious if you think about it.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
If done maliciously sure but is there any evidence of that?

This thought process is one of the problems with this issue. Even if done with no ill will, the fact they do not understand the problem still presents itself due to sheer ignorance of the situation. Black characters are whitewashed and that makes them lose part of their identity. Be it with them or the fanbase itself.