• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Saw this on twitter the other day here. A lot of people were saying the same things lol. Like they can't meet anyone because they are at work and when they go out its with co-workers/older members like their bosses. Also there was an article that was trending here about people who get married quickly ended up splitting after half a year or so as well.

Either way, I hope it works out for the people who use it. Personally... I think Japan is lousy with dating apps. Tinder and others are promoted & used as friend finding apps instead of dating, and are oddly filled with pictures of not actually people. Pets, cakes, and... haircuts? The ones actually made in Japan require payments, usually just for men and are free for women so they are lousy with bots and fake accounts from what I hear. So I wonder if this scheme can work considering whats currently available is so damn dire haha.

Also the whole old man assumption that Japan's politicians constantly likes to roll with is marriage=kids which is a whole nother eye rolling sack on nonsense.
From what I've heard, "Pairs", while not free, is pretty good. Especially if you're looking for a marriage partner.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Immigrants go to where they most easily get good jobs and education. That naturally tends to be big cities. We also have a lot of other developments that make things harder for more rural places. Perhaps the digital revolution can turn this around, say if due to working from home those places become more attractive due to cheaper cost of living.
Yes, big cities will always have more opportunities and here is also the fact that there is more likely communities of immigrants already in big cities.

I also doubt we will see some any meaningful migration from big cities to small/medium cities due to digital revolution. Big cities are more cosmopolitan and will ultimately have more services, activities and just generally more convenient.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I also doubt we will see some any meaningful migration from big cities to small/medium cities due to digital revolution. Big cities are more cosmopolitan and will ultimately have more services, activities and just generally more convenient.
Just as cities are growing in leaps and bounds throughout the world, the cost of living there goes up and prices for rent continue to skyrocket in many places throughout the world.
So I think it's at least possible that this will drive people, even immigrants, into suburban and eventually more rural places, if technology makes it possible for them get jobs without needing to be living in big cities. It's just speculation, though, to be clear.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9da.png
Yep, band-aid on a bigger problem

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I believe that is actually changing somewhat. The problem for Japan is that immigration isn't just a tap you can turn, I saw a study which ranked Japan as the least attractive country to immigrate to in the entire East Asia region, which is pretty wild. Considering their level of economic development you'd think the opposite would be true, but the number of foreign workers coming in are falling short of even the governments relatively conservative targets.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but from what I've looked into before isn't it also really hard TO immigrate to Japan? You essentially need to have a job willing to take you before you can get there. A lot of westerners take teaching gigs to get their foot in the door because nothing else is really available until you already live there.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maybe the Government could just try to normalize the idea of acting cordially within a society, for free?

Now I'm no expert (please don't shoot my foot!), but a society that is basically trained to be an efficient bee hive, won't have much social interaction.
Maybe the government should focus on people having and actual work-life balance, not just their numbers.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but from what I've looked into before isn't it also really hard TO immigrate to Japan? You essentially need to have a job willing to take you before you can get there. A lot of westerners take teaching gigs to get their foot in the door because nothing else is really available until you already live there.

Yes, this is the case for Japan and a lot of Asian countries.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that the government thinks that the reason for fewer marriages and a declining birthrate is bad matchmaking or not being able to find a partner, instead of women abhorring the culture that mandates their success and happiness be tied to traditional family units or the potential partners available to them being raised in a less-than-ideal society.

This is gonna be a whole lot of money poured into a solution that doesn't solve the problem.
All of this + not embracing immigration

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Even in Northern European countries the birth rates keep getting lower. And things are more or less good around those parts.

In my opinion, one of the reasons why birth rates here keep getting lower is because things are good. This may seem counter intuitive, but... yea. People living here are healthy and happy, have more or less some socioeconomic stability, rights and freedoms are well expressed and recognised, education is high and of quality.

The above results in people being more individualistic and caring more about themselves and appreciating themselves a lot more. Thus they less often end up in long lasting marriages that result in having children they get stuck with for a long time.

While this is personal thing, I know that for example, if I had remained to live back in Macedonia, society and culture would have pressured me to get married and have kids. Here in Sweden, that is not the case at all, and people respect you for your choices and who you are, rather than how you fit in their idealised society.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be the ducking prick that brings up 1984, but wasn't government matchmaking a thing used in that? I am not sure I am ok with an algorithm controlled by the government telling people what a perfect match is.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That Love & Lies anime was weird. I remember being really mad that the whole conflict was that the blank slate protagonist loved a third party who under no realistic circumstances should have loved him back but did. Meanwhile it seemed like everyone else in the universe loved the set up. Including the girl he was set up with through the system who was totally screwed over by him despite being great.

Frustrating show. I would watch another season.

I hate to be the ducking prick that brings up 1984, but wasn't government matchmaking a thing used in that? I am not sure I am ok with an algorithm controlled by the government telling people what a perfect match is.

What's the problem if it:

A. Works
B. Is opt in?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Japan is fixing the low birth rate incorrectly. The problem isn't that men and women can't find love. The problem is that many couples don't want a baby. One of the big reason is discrimination on women.

When a couple decide to have a baby, it is expected for the wife to sacrifice her career and become a housewife to take care of children while husband being the only source of income for the family. This means that if the husband isn't already well of financially he would have to work extra hours to provide for the family and in turn spend less time with family as a result. This is the problem that my friend's family is having. My friend is working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and barely meet his family. His wife finally has enough and wants him to be part of the family so she begins to pursue her career again which means my friend needs to work less and take turn to take care of the children. Now the problem happens because the job his wife is working at pays her so little compared to the male colleagues that the total sum of her salary and my friend's salary is actually less than when my friend was the only one working. This is the very big problem that Japanese government always sweep under the rug.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Thats neat and all but yeah its not really gonna work. The work culture needs to start allowing women to have both a career and children instead of basically having to choose one or the other. Also open up your fuckin' country. Like its just ridiculous that they try all this dumb shit to fix their declining birthrate instead of tackling the obvious problem. Are they truly that afraid of women in the workplace?