• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
A Japanese stem-cell scientist is the first to receive government support to create animal embryos that contain human cells and transplant them into surrogate animals since a ban on the practice was overturned earlier this year.

Hiromitsu Nakauchi, who leads teams at the University of Tokyo and Stanford University in California, plans to grow human cells in mouse and rat embryos and then transplant those embryos into surrogate animals. Nakauchi's ultimate goal is to produce animals with organs made of human cells that can, eventually, be transplanted into people.

People are saying catgirls are coming. We're not there yet. :(

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Some bioethicists are concerned about the possibility that human cells might stray beyond development of the targeted organ, travel to the developing animal's brain and potentially affect its cognition."

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the sentence "has science gone too far" can't even be finished because the answer jumps out so quickly

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I always wondered what would happen if we tried to breed with our closest animal relative like bonobos and chimpanzees... the same way a lion and a tiger can breed! Could that result in an offspring and if so, what would it looks like?

Of course it shouldn't happen, it's unethical as fuck and i wouldn't support it.... but still the curiosity is there!

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I always wondered what would happen if we tried to breed with our closest animal relative like bonobos and chimpanzees... the same way a lion and a tiger can breed! Could that result in an offspring and if so, what would it looks like?

Of course it shouldn't happen, it's unethical as fuck and i wouldn't support it.... but still the curiosity is there!
I'll give you $5 to try it

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Good, if it leads to usable replacement organs.

"Some bioethicists are concerned about the possibility that human cells might stray beyond development of the targeted organ, travel to the developing animal's brain and potentially affect its cognition."

Being concerned is the job of bioethicists.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The Russians tried it. nothing happened.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Nakauchi's ultimate goal is to produce animals with organs made of human cells that can, eventually, be transplanted into people.

But getting human cells to grow in another species is not easy. Nakauchi and colleagues announced at the 2018 American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Austin, Texas that they had put human iPS cells into sheep embryos that had been engineered not to produce a pancreas. But the hybrid embryos, grown for 28 days, contained very few human cells, and nothing resembling organs. This is probably because of the genetic distance between humans and sheep, says Nakauchi.

It doesn't make sense to bring human–animal hybrid embryos to term using evolutionarily distant species such as pigs and sheep because the human cells will be eliminated from host embryos early on, says Jun Wu, who researches human–animal chimaeras at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Seems like it would better to just focus on cloning for human organs, but I'm assuming this method would be a lot cheaper if it worked.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

We aren't that much related to monkeys. But we did it neandertals.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think they could make man/monkey, but then that new man/monkey would be unable to successfully mate again

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised an artificial environment wouldn't be better for trying to grow human organs. Loving creatures have a lot of things going on in their bodies to try and harvest from them consistently.

Humans can't breed with apes, there is still far too much species difference. And the entire concept is horrifying, it's not even worth joking about. if you want your daily reason to lose of faith in humanity google the shaved female orangutan that was being used for sex work and was rescued in Indonesia. I'm not linking it since it's not safe life and it still makes me insanely angry.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Between this and the brain improvements machine we could create the first sentient animals. I'm not even joking, I think accidental sentience for other species is gonna fuck us over not A.I.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why are we wasting time with animals when we can simply harvest organs from clones who look like Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson?

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Posting Imagery of Sexualized Minors
PARADISE HERE WE COME!!

Mod Edit: NSFW Content Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

I'm calling the cops