• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
It is a war flag created by imperial Japan and since the day it was adopted it flew over Japanese armies invading other countries and committing horrific crimes there.
Japanese fascists like to say that no, it has a rich history and it's heritage not hate, but I think this is just bullshit.
There is a reason why right wing racists in Japan keep waving it, and it's not because some warlord in the Asuka period had similar iconography.
Thanks for framing it in this way, I was unaware of how the flag itself was so directly tied to the military, I was under the impression it was their flag in general. I just hope that controversy over the flag itself does not spill off into its history of art and culture in Japan.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they got fucking immunity for handing over test results to the US too.

The U.S actually COVERED UP Unit 731!!!! The U.S covered up Unit 731 so good that other Western countries either ignored or dismissed the victim accounts as being "communist propaganda."

The researchers involved in Unit 731 were secretly given immunity by the U.S. in exchange for the data they gathered through human experimentation.[6] Other researchers that the Soviet forces managed to arrest first were tried at the Khabarovsk War Crime Trials in 1949. The Americans did not try the researchers so that the information and experience gained in bio-weapons could be co-opted into the U.S. biological warfare program, much as they had done with German researchers in Operation Paperclip.[7] On 6 May 1947, Douglas MacArthur, as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, wrote to Washington that "additional data, possibly some statements from Ishii, can probably be obtained by informing Japanese involved that information will be retained in intelligence channels and will not be employed as 'War Crimes' evidence".[6] Victim accounts were then largely ignored or dismissed in the West as communist propaganda.[8]

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only war crimes hearing involving Imperial Japan and Unit 731 was conducted by the Soviet Union:

The Khabarovsk War Crime Trials were hearings held between 25–31 December 1949, in the Soviet Union's industrial city of Khabarovsk (Хаба́ровск), the largest city within the Russian Far East (Дáльний Востóк) adjacent to Japan. There, twelve members of the Japanese Kwantung Army were tried as war criminals for manufacturing and using biological weapons during World War II.​

During the trials, the accused, such as Major General Kiyoshi Kawashima, testified that, as early as 1941, some 40 members of Unit 731 air-dropped plague-contaminated fleas on Changde. These operations caused epidemic plague outbreaks.[1]

All twelve accused war criminals were found guilty, and sentenced to terms ranging between two and twenty-five years in a labour camp. In 1956, those who were still serving their sentence were released and repatriated to Japan.​

In 1950, the USSR published official materials relating to the trial in English. The book was titled Materials on the Trial of Former Servicemen of the Japanese Army Charged with Manufacturing and Employing Bacteriological Weapons.[2] It included documents from the preliminary investigation (the Indictment, some documentary evidence, and some interrogation records), testimony from both the accused and witnesses, last pleas from the accused, some expert findings, and speeches from the State Prosecutor and Defense Counsel, verbatim.​

The book, published by Foreign Languages Publishing House, had long been out of print, but in November 2015 Google Books determined it was now in the public domain and published a facsimile of it online, in addition to offering it for sale as an ebook.[2]

According to one bioethics expert,​

Despite its strong ideological tone and many obvious shortcomings such as the lack of international participation, the trial established beyond reasonable doubt that the Japanese army had prepared and deployed bacteriological weapons and that Japanese researchers had conducted cruel experiments on living human beings. However, the trial, together with the evidence presented to the court and its major findings — which have proved remarkably accurate — was dismissed as communist propaganda and totally ignored in the West until the 1980s.[3]
Historian Sheldon Harris described the trial in his history of Unit 731:​
Evidence introduced during the hearings was based on eighteen volumes of interrogations and documentary material gathered in investigations over the previous four years. Some of the volumes included more than four hundred pages of depositions.... Unlike the Moscow Show Trials of the 1930s, the Japanese confessions made in the Khabarovsk trial were based on fact and not the fantasy of their handlers.[4]
Harris also noted the controversies unleashed by the trial, which linked Emperor Hirohito to the Japanese biological warfare program, and also the allegations that the Japanese BW experiments had also been conducted on Allied POWs.​

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't get why the Japanese would be using it anyway. It's not their flag anymore.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ban all flags. Right?
All but Epyx's.

GM99kLk.jpg

I don't get why the Japanese would be using it anyway. It's not their flag anymore.
Same reason people fly confederate flags in the US.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify: the Rising Sun flag was never the flag of Japan as a polity, it was adopted as the war flag of the Imperial Japanese Army and the ensign of the navy in the Meiji period (late 19th century), and came to represent the Empire's military campaigns throughout Asia. The national flag of Japan has been the simple red sun on white, the Hinomaru, since the Meiji Restoration.

Japan never "changed its flag", the representation of the state has always been the Hinomaru. As such, the modern Japanese flag is itself contentious, and for some, also represents the Imperial past. A modified Rising Sun continues to be used for the Japanese Self-Defense Forces.

The Rising Sun is somewhat more analogous to the Iron Cross, in that it was a traditional war emblem coopted as military iconography by a modern regime. However, comparisons to the Nazi Swastika aren't invalid, as it was used to represent Japanese occupation and Imperial ambition. Incidentally, the contemporary German military continues to use the Iron Cross.

In modern Japan, the Rising Sun is often seen as a symbol of good luck, patriotism, and fighting spirit, in much the same way the Stars and Stripes are seen in the US. It's ubiquitous in product packaging, festival decorations, and at sporting events in a way that isn't specifically referencing Imperial Japan. However, its connection to that era has been maintained by right-wing groups, who use it in a manner similar to the Confederate flag.

Oct 26, 2017
Well from what I gathered in this thread it's still used by the Japanese military to some extent and was a war flag during their imperial period, so the flag being used in the context of dominating other countries even if it's just in sports is kinda fucked up.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Countries really need to stop jerking themselves off and get over patriotism. It's just a flag. Change it.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Think of the way French people use the Fleur-de-lis, or English people the heraldic lion, or German people the imperial eagle. National iconography and its relevance to a cultural psyche doesn't stop existing when there's a political change.

It was the country's national flag, not just the flag of a movement or group

No it wasn't, it was a war flag, same as the Stars and Bars. Also, the Nazi Swastika was the national flag of Germany, so what are you talking about?

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is a grey area and not comparable to the Swastika/Nazi symbolism or the Confederate flag for a couple reasons:

-It's still actively used by the SDF
-It was the country's national flag, not just the flag of a movement or group

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like this is a grey area and not comparable to the Swastika/Nazi symbolism or the Confederate flag for a couple reasons:

To countries that suffered at the hands of the Japanese in WWII, the Rising Sun flag is absolutely a symbol of oppression and hate, just like the swastika. And right wing nationalist groups in Japan have adopted as their symbol to celebrate the country's militarism in WWII.

EDIT: and the Rising Sun flag is a battle flag (the one with the rays). The national flag is the one with the red circle.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017

Japan's national flag during WW2 is the same as the current one without the sun rays. The Rising Sun is specifically the Japanese Imperial war flag, and the SDF and Naval flags that are based on it are likewise war flags.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it wasn't, it was a war flag, same as the Stars and Bars. Also, the Nazi Swastika was the national flag of Germany, so what are you talking about?
The German flag was always a variation of the three stripes of Black/Red/Yellow or Black/Red/White (until the Nazis ruined that color combination) -except- during the Nazi regime/WW2. It's not the same thing since the Rising Sun existed before WW2. That said, I didn't know this before, so thank you for this post:
To clarify: the Rising Sun flag was never the flag of Japan as a polity, it was adopted as the war flag of the Imperial Japanese Army and the ensign of the navy in the Meiji period (late 19th century), and came to represent the Empire's military campaigns throughout Asia. The national flag of Japan has been the simple red sun on white, the Hinomaru, since the Meiji Restoration.

Japan never "changed its flag", the representation of the state has always been the Hinomaru. As such, the modern Japanese flag is itself contentious, and for some, also represents the Imperial past. A modified Rising Sun continues to be used for the Japanese Self-Defense Forces.

The Rising Sun is somewhat more analogous to the Iron Cross, in that it was a traditional war emblem coopted as military iconography by a modern regime. However, comparisons to the Nazi Swastika aren't invalid, as it was used to represent Japanese occupation and Imperial ambition. Incidentally, the contemporary German military continues to use the Iron Cross.

In modern Japan, the Rising Sun is often seen as a symbol of good luck, patriotism, and fighting spirit, in much the same way the Stars and Stripes are seen in the US. It's ubiquitous in product packaging, festival decorations, and at sporting events in a way that isn't specifically referencing Imperial Japan. However, its connection to that era has been maintained by right-wing groups, who use it in a manner similar to the Confederate flag.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

Over 160 posts in this thread and people continue to say untrue things as if they were fact and I don't understand why.

1. That doesn't make it right, the flag is completely comparable to Swastika/Confederate flag. Once again please look through this thread and read up on Unit 731, and Raping of Nanking then say with a straight face they weren't as bad/the same. Because Korea (and China) would disagree with your statement.

2. It was never their national flag at any point in Japan's history, the Nisshouki/Hinomaru has been their national flag since 1870 to present day. The Rising sun flags were and have always the war flag of the Imperial military. The Imperial Navy's was the RIsing Sun off center to the left, and the Imperial Army's was the Rising Sun centered. It was literally adopted during the Meiji era for that exact reason, and you know where they got the flag design from? Edo period warlords.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that flag has no business being displayed on the Olympics. Especially since the current government thinks they can sidestep criticism with historical mumbo jumbo.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over 160 posts in this thread and people continue to say untrue things as if they were fact and I don't understand why.

1. That doesn't make it right, the flag is completely comparable to Swastika/Confederate flag. Once again please look through this thread and read up on Unit 731, and Raping of Nanking then say with a straight face they weren't as bad/the same. Because Korea (and China) would disagree with your statement.

2. It was never their national flag at any point in Japan's history, the Nisshouki/Hinomaru has been their national flag since 1870 to present day. The Rising sun flags were and have always the war flag of the Imperial military. The Imperial Navy's was the RIsing Sun off center to the left, and the Imperial Army's was the Rising Sun centered. It was literally adopted during the Meiji era for that exact reason, and you know where they got the flag design from? Edo period warlords.
I already owned up to my ignorance on this in the previous post, and I appreciate learning and correcting my knowledge. Furthermore, I have been very aware of Unit 731 and the Rape of Nanking for a long long time.

That being said, I'm going to maintain that as it is an actively used flag, and its history does extend much further in history before these atrocities, it isn't quite the same thing. Though I also agree that a military flag shouldn't be used at the Olympics anyways. My understanding is this is about allowing attendees of the games to bring their own flag or not, right?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
OP needs to clarify that it's the WW2 sun beams flag, not the sole Sun on White official flag

because the official flag (red circle on white) is The Sun

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Commentary
If I were a nationalistic piece of shit, why I would want to wave that flag anyway? the last time that it was oficially used the USA kicked their asses so hard that they had to make anime and videogames to gain the west trust again

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
OP said the Rising Sun flag, which is perfectly unambiguous.

the Hinomaru which is the official flag is a Sun

255px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png

---------

now back on topic,
the Empierial War Battle Flag that you are referring to is not the official flag and is associated with Empire, War and Conquest.

IMO, the Rising Sun Battle Flag should not be flown in an international sporting event.

a) it's not the official flag
b) it's an imperialist warring battle flag associated with invasion and pillaged

so they should just stick to the Official Flag, and not allow the "Batttle" flag in the arenas.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I already owned up to my ignorance on this in the previous post, and I appreciate learning and correcting my knowledge. Furthermore, I have been very aware of Unit 731 and the Rape of Nanking for a long long time.

That being said, I'm going to maintain that as it is an actively used flag, and its history does extend much further in history before these atrocities, it isn't quite the same thing. Though I also agree that a military flag shouldn't be used at the Olympics anyways. My understanding is this is about allowing attendees of the games to bring their own flag or not, right?

The fact that is an actively used flag doesn't excuse shit, the nazi flag is still actively used by some hateful morons all around the world, and the context matters, in this day, you are really disingenuous to imply the rising sun flag would hold any other connotation that go past beyond the last century...

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The fact that is an actively used flag doesn't excuse shit, the nazi flag is still actively used by some hateful morons all around the world, and the context matters, in this day, you are really disingenuous to imply the rising sun flag would hold any other connotation that go past beyond the last century...
Germany apologized and banned the Nazi flag.

Japan never really apologized and never banned their Sun Beams Battle Flag

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
There's a lot of laughable and face-palming moments in this thread. The rising sun flag has a long history that pre-dates WW2 so some literal comparisons with other "flags of hatred" isn't compatible because of origins of these flags.Regardless of that, South Korea and China have the right to ask the Olympic organisers to ban the flag because it was a flag used by the imperial Japanese army that have committed atrocities in those countries . The Olympics is a global event and has no place for such events regardless if Japanese people perceive it to be a symbolic importance.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
There's a lot of laughable and face-palming moments in this thread. The rising sun flag has a long history that pre-dates WW2 so some literal comparisons with other "flags of hatred" isn't compatible because of origins of these flags.Regardless of that, South Korea and China have the right to ask the Olympic organisers to ban the flag because it was a flag used by the imperial Japanese army that have committed atrocities in those countries . The Olympics is a global event and has no place for such events regardless if Japanese people perceive it to be a symbolic importance.

Go ahead and tell a Korean or Chinese person that the rising sun flag isn't a flag of hatred. I'm sure they'll react positively to you.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heinous shit was done under that flag, I understand that and don't condone that in any way. The difference is that flag not only existed prior to the heinous stuff occurring (unlike the Nazi flag), but it is still used in an official capacity to this day. Should it have been banned after WW2 like the Nazi flag? Maybe, but it wasn't. Time can change symbols, especially when they weren't created solely for evil. Maybe some people do use it for what it represented back then, it's very probable -- but unlike the Nazi flag which means that 100% of the time, the Rising Sun clearly doesn't. Apart from its continued official use, it's now also just iconography that is used in Japan in various other ways. People have posted some very clear examples in this thread, such as:
Shiina Ringo is one of the directors for the opening ceremony and will probably perform, unfortunately, at her live shows she sells a variation of the flag that she waves during certain songs, most of the crowd has them too.

uKZbiJ0_d.jpg
Do these (and other) uses in pop culture mean they are condoning WW2-era atrocities? No, they don't.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the long tradition argument. By same logic Nazi salute is ok since it has long tradition from Roman times all the way to US (Bellamy salute), let's not just call it Nazi salute. But anyway, I agree with you that Olympics is not a place for military flag.

Heinous shit was done under that flag, I understand that and don't condone that in any way. The difference is that flag not only existed prior to the heinous stuff occurring (unlike the Nazi flag), but it is still used in an official capacity to this day. Should it have been banned after WW2 like the Nazi flag? Maybe, but it wasn't. Time can change symbols, especially when they weren't created solely for evil. Maybe some people do use it for what it represented back then, it's very probable -- but unlike the Nazi flag which means that 100% of the time, the Rising Sun clearly doesn't. Apart from its continued official use, it's now also just iconography that is used in Japan in various other ways. People have posted some very clear examples in this thread, such as:

Do these (and other) uses in pop culture mean they are condoning WW2-era atrocities? No, they don't.
I think big problem is that time hasn't changed the symbol. Well, except for Japanese and western people. And I suspect that much of it has to do how history is teached in Japan and in west. Japan goes far and beyond not talk about it's war crimes and most countries in west don't go deep into war in pacific, given they had their own theater going on. For many of Japan's neighbors the flag is still toxic.

Last edited:

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019

1. Some people here will fight to the death to defend sainted Japan; beloved home of their video games, Mecha and tiddy shows.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Are you fucking daft? It's connotations in East Asia are not much different from the Nazi flag in Europe. The Japanese military's war crimes under that flag during WWII was based on Japanese racial superiority over the people they conquered.

Fuck you and your stupid ass justifications and whataboutisms.

Yeah I am shocked how many people are missing this.

Well, not that shocked. I suppose it's willful denial?

And yeah, I've seen the flag on some people's clothing even here in the states and you best believe they get the side eye.

It's like wearing clothing with swastikas on them.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am shocked how many people are missing this.

Well, not that shocked. I suppose it's willful denial?

And yeah, I've seen the flag on some people's clothing even here in the states and you best believe they get the side eye.

It's like wearing clothing with swastikas on them. Like....are you fucking daft? (Answer is yes, probably also inbred.)

A lot of American people just don't grow up with the same context. I mean, my parents are Chinese and even I've been desensitized to it. It's like those random Nazi-themed stores and memorabilia you find in Southeast Asia, it just looks cool to them.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A lot of American people just don't grow up with the same context. I mean, my parents are Chinese and even I've been desensitized to it. It's like those random Nazi-themed stores and memorabilia you find in Southeast Asia, it just looks cool to them.

Which is fine, **but now that it's been explained**.... you'd think they'd learn.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, if you are not WWII vet then there is a good chance that you don't know much about rising sun flag. And it is cool design and pops up a lot in pop culture, so I'm not surprised when I see somebody sporting rising sun t-shirt. But I hope people will learn more about it and eventually ditch it.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Go ahead and tell a Korean or Chinese person that the rising sun flag isn't a flag of hatred. I'm sure they'll react positively to you.
I didn't say it wasn't a flag of hatred. I'm pretty sure you mis read it on purpose.
I clearly said that comparisons with other flags of hatred is a bit tricky since the flag pre-dates the atrocities that they have committed in WW2.
I also said that military flag has no purpose being used in a global event such as the Olympics.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Being mixed Japanese myself, that battle flag always made me a bit uneasy.

People keep posting the E Honda bathouse and artwork with the sunburst... that's different. Thematic sunbursts in art are one thing--the exact same flag as an inhuman, ultranationalist regime is another entirely.

Besides, why the hell cling to that flag? Japan has A TON of awesome flag iconography throughout their history. Put Oda Nobunaga's clan crest on a flag or something, lmao